Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Wastebasket posted:

Thanks for your reassurance guys! I really needed it! I agree it was a really bad idea for PP to not mention it at all, but all I really got was a piece of paper with how to properly take it and the small booklet that came with the pills that didn't mention that I could miss it totally.

Now, I just need to get my husband to get a test for me on his way home from work, without HIM flipping out.

I've been on a mini-pill for 8yrs now, and eventually you just get used to irregular/new cycles (since it's not like combination pills which can regulate your cycle). My body ended up self-regulating to about 1 period every 3mo, with only two instances of spotting over that 8yr span. The only time it ever really skipped off that cycle was if I was late with a pill (once in a great while my phone alarm would flake out & I'd remember to take it a couple hours late) or if I hit a very high stress week. I still get warning signs of oncoming period 2 days beforehand (and an "enjoy your morning" warning the night before), so I never found it bothersome. I miss out on being able to force a period skip, but at least I don't have to deal with unwanted side effects like I had with combination pills.

If it really gets to you, you can always use condoms for the first few months that way you don't stress out about pregnancy, and it might give your body some stress-free time to decide if it wants to fall into a new predictable cycle or not. Like others have said, stressing will only throw your body off more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Went to my 6-week post-partum check and walked out with a script for Micronor. Skip to today, I fill it and discover that it's $46 per month FOR THE GENERIC. Is this common?

Where did you fill it? I have been on the generic (Errin) for 7+ years, and it has never been that expensive. I fill it at the local Walmart. In the beginning it cost me $32/mo, and after a couple years of that someone behind the counter said they could give me some sort of discount, and so then I was paying $27/mo. Then I had insurance for about a year where I only paid $10, and currently (no insurance again) I pay $29/mo.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

nixar55 posted:

I'm freaking out here. I got home from my pharmacy and found Junel in my bag instead of Microgestin. I immediately called and the pharmacist (male) was super nasty and said Microgestin has been on back order since November and Junel is the same exact thing. I've never switched pills before and everything was okay on Microgestin, which I've taken for 5 years. Now I'm terrified to try a new pill and get side effects, which I didn't have before. Of course Googling the two drugs leads to all of these other forums with unhappy, acne-ridden, balding women. You guys are more measured in responses.

Has anyone had issue with back ordered pills? Will my pharmacy switch me back when the drug is back in stock? Any one else go from Microgestin to Junel? Should I ask my doc for Loestrin, even though it's more expensive? I've just never heard of this pill before ever.

Honestly, I'm in a long distance relationship and wondering if I just shouldn't stop taking birth control entirely and avoid the whole switching issue. The only benefit of the pill, aside from preventing pregnancy, is I can schedule my periods so that they don't come when he's in town.

ETA: Of course I will call my doctor about this, too. Wish it holiday weekend though.

Just figured I would give my input here. I had to deal with this back in August. I've been on Micronor (rather, Errin, the generic) for something like 8yrs now. I was on my last pill, and I went out in the worst weather (remnants of a hurricane) to fill it. Their computers were down, but they called me when they came back up and told me they were out of stock of Micronor and wouldn't have any until sometime in October. They asked if I wanted Camila (generic of Nor QD) instead, and said it was the same active ingredient in the same dose, so it shouldn't be an issue. I double and triple checked with her to make sure that she knew I was only agreeing to this until Micronor was back in stock. It was a nightmare (the pill & pharmacy experience).

There was no gap between switching pills. I ended up with 4 days of heavy bleeding, then 4 days fine, then 4 days of heavy bleeding again, then 4 days fine. This repeated for almost 3wks, among other negative symptoms, before I said screw it and stopped taking it. I called the pharmacy to see if, by some stroke of luck, they had my Micronor in stock yet. They did. However, I was told I would need a new script in order to go back to taking Micronor; they had changed my script in their system to the new pill, without my consent.

I had to call my gyno and explain the whole thing to her. Needless to say, she was pissed at what they did. She understood my side of the ordeal, where I only agreed to the new pill as a temporary replacement until my normal one was in stock. She called up the pharmacy, bitched them out, told them there's no reason I should need a new script because they shouldn't have changed it in the first place. So then they call to tell me (in a bitchy tone) that I can pick up my normal pill, acting as though it was my fault they screwed it up.

So just because the active ingredient is the same thing & dose, that doesn't mean you'll react the same as you do on your usual pill. I ended up looking up the differences between my usual & the Camila, and the manufacturer themself says that they shouldn't be considered a direct substitute for one another as a result (they're not bioequivalent; guess that means different absorption rates into the blood stream). Next time if they're out of stock, I'll just ask to either get the name brand or ask for a transfer.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Does anyone happen to know if Errin (generic of Micronor) was discontinued or something?

I went to pickup my refill earlier, got home & opened it, and inside was Jencycla. Completely different manufacturer & product name. I took it back & they just said they can't get it anymore.

I refuse to take a different generic. The last time this happened they at least asked me first if I was okay with the switch (and it was only temporary since they would have more Errin 2mo later). Well that generic (It was Jolivette) was a month of pure Hell. So I refuse to take any other generic for Micronor other than the one I've been on for the past 10yrs. I don't want to deal with another nightmare switch. They also used up my freebie refill for the month on a pill I won't take since they couldn't be bothered to say anything when I went to fill it, & they didn't take it back when I went to return it.

Now I'm just wondering if Errin doesn't exist anymore (Google turns up nothing about it), or if it's just that pharmacy. If it's just that pharmacy, then I'll go elsewhere. If it's a discontinued item then I'll have to call my doc & just have her write it for the name brand Micronor.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

GabrielAisling posted:

It's not a lot of help, but I was still getting it filled without any problems in October of last year, before my IUD, so if it is a discontinuation, it is very recent.

Wow, I've had my IUD over two months. Weird.

Yea, I've been on it continuously for years & was still able to refill it last month. I just wish they had given me some kind of warning so I could find a new pharmacy (or have it rewritten name-brand-only) before I ran out of pills.

I stopped a few places today & they all carry jolivette (the one that was a nightmare for me), they also dont carry the name brand. One place could special order Errin, but I was hoping to get more pills today before I miss too many & end up reverting back to my normal periods (also nightmares). I guess Wal-Mart can special order the name brand, so last resort I'll just have the rx rewritten & have them order it. It doesn't make this whole situation any less annoying though.

So based on the one place being able to special order it, I've got my answer. It's still available, its just that Wal-Mart decided to start carrying a different generic instead.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

SqueakovaPeep posted:

Hey y'all !I'm looking for advice and ideas before I contact my obgyn. I was on generic yaz for about 3 years and have been pretty happy with it, it helped with irregular periods, mild pmdd, and hormonal break outs. It also eliminated hormonal migraines. However, around the time of my yearly checkup I was having tons of migraines with aura and confusion and only sometimes pain. They had external triggers (weird perfume I was trying) but my obgyn said that either way that wasn't good and put me on Camila, a no estrogen pill. I've been on it for 2 packs now and have had pretty much a constant period. As in this past month I had 4 no period days. This has sucked supremely. Also my face is breaking out and I generally don't like it. No migraines though so yay?

So I'm gonna call her Monday and be like ugh what gives, but do you guys have any feedback or ideas that I could ask about or bring to the table? Is it gonna maybe get better? Is there a better idea?

I'll say that I've been on a minipill for 10yrs & what you get out of it (like any pill) can always vary. My body self regulated right away to one period every 3mo (I was always super regular off the pill too, though). I've been on Errin (an ortho micronor generic). A few years ago the pharmacy gave me a different generic because mine was going to be unavailable for a few months. That generic had me bleeding just about nonstop for 3wks so I stopped taking it (had more problems than just that) & just dealt with a couple crappy non-pill months until my normal pill was back in stock. Recently that same pharmacy swapped out my Errin for a generic of a generic, without even asking/telling me, so I found a new pharmacy (didn't want to risk another nightmare pill).

So basically, you might need to try other pills to find one you like. Even different generics of the same name-brand can have different effects for some people. I'm sure your doctor can talk it over with you about trying a different generic, or the name brand, or a different name brand. And once you do find a pill you like, request your doc to put "dispense as written"/DAW on the script.

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 20, 2014

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

I was on a minipill for about 10yrs and just came off in january. I immediately went right back to my usual 28 day cycle (counting from the day i stopped it, since i quit 1-2wks before i probably would have had a period). All the normal things I remember dealing with pre-pill came back right away, except more toward the extremes. Acne was one thing that blew up within a few days off the pill and I fought it the entire first month. My second cycle off if it everything started to level back off (and acne went back to only certain times of my cycle). And after a few more months I'm actually better than I was before the pill, with a few additions, but I think most of that has to do with age (I'm 31, but was on the pill pretty much my entire 20's). I'm not sure how normal all my stuff is though. My mom had a hysterectomy at 33 or 34 due to nonstop heavy bleeding...I think it was endo, but I don't think i ever got a solid answer from her. So if I take after her, my results might not be completely normal (her non-pill cycles were so bad she would throw up from pain, and though mine were bad, they were never vomit bad).

A bit tmi, but this is how it was for me. Ovulation always used to be just a CM type change, maybe rarely cramps. Now ovulation is more often some cramping (except very minor), my sense of smell & taste change (last few months on pill & first one off were severe), sometimes comes with a few pms type symptoms, and almost always comes with insomnia and night sweats of varying severity. I used to have very heavy amounts of CM nonstop through my cycles pre-pill, now it's really light by comparison. I used to have 7 day, very heavy & uncomfortable periods (3-5lb bloat, awful low back pain, days of diarrhea, cramps, the works), then on the pill they were 5 days & reasonable (nothing of note outside of day 1), and now they are 3-4 days and pretty light. Pre-pill my pms was noticeable (very emotional starting 1wk before, awful gut/back issues 2-3 days before). Now I just get super weepy starting 1wk before, & no gut/back issues until a few hours to a day before.

I grabbed a tracker app a few months before quitting my pill (because apparently after 10yrs my body decided to start going crazy on the pill and I started having what seemed like my pre-pill cycles...signs of ovulation, bad symptoms during my period & ovulation (including mid cycle spotting), and cycles shifting from once every 3mo down to almost my old 28 day predictability). I'm almost positive my pill had started failing me, or my hormones decided to compensate in a way that negated the pill or something. The app was really nice for keeping track of what symptoms I had each day, how severe, etc., especially once I stopped the pill (and now it's handy because we are using withdrawal, but that's not really relevant here).

IdeoPhanthus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

The pharmacy should be able to tell you when you go to fill it. Generally insurance will only cover the cost of one pill pack every 3wk (i was always told i had to wait until i had 7 days left to refill under insurance) if it's your avg monthly style pill pack. And in the past i was told if i wanted to refill more than just 1 at a time (for whatever reason), i would just have to pay out of pocket for the extras. For all i know that could be some variable policy that has changed over the years and/or is just local to me.

• Locked thread