Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.
After 7 years on the pill, I'm seriously considering the Mirena. I've never had regular periods off the pill, so I'm a little concerned about the spotting that people report for the first months. I don't want to end up having spotting for the entire duration. How have other goonettes found the Mirena to be in the spotting/periods department?

And for a semi-embarassing but important question I can't seem to get an answer to - will my partner feel the strings? Even if he's fingering?

I also use the Diva cup and my doctor didn't seem to think it was such a good idea to keep that up with an IUD because of the risk of pulling the strings out. Is anyone out there using a menstral cup with an IUD successfully? Or best to just let this practice go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Impressed
Feb 11, 2005
You could tell I was no debutante.
Thanks for all the replies ( Dr Nutt, Fire in the Disco, Innovative Salad, Bagleworm, HelloIAmYourHeart ) about the Mirena and all other IUDS, especially about using it with a menstrual cup. I'm not opposed to buying a different cup (I was in the market for a replacement anyway - taking a look at the Lunette now) and am familiar with breaking the seal before pulling it out. If that's all it takes, that isn't much retraining. I just didn't want to have to go back to tampons, which I find incredibly drying and so wasteful.

I also appreciate the info on the strings. I will certainly be something to talk about with my partner, but thankfully he's super supportive about finding a birth control solution that works for us. My doc wasn't really able to provide an answer to that.

As for irregularity, it wouldn't bother me too much - I was on more of a 6 - 7 week irregular cycle before the pill for about 5 years. Wow...I'm getting old! I think I'd be ok with what everyone has described.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Divacup or keeper is even more comfy, IMO, but see if you like tampons first.

The only time I find the Diva Cup slightly uncomfortable...or I guess when I notice it, is when I'm running. Otherwise, best $30 I've ever spent. I recommend menstrual cups to all my friends with vags. But that's another topic for another thread.

• Locked thread