Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DrNewton posted:

i once was told honey is a good substitute

:gonk: the horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

sarah synonymous posted:

Edit: Forgot to add, I'd prefer Implanon over IUD because of the estrogen in Mirena, and I have bad metal allergies which I've heard can cause issues with the Paraguard.

I have metal issues and my Mirena is just fine for me. It's all plastic.

The thing about the Paraguard might be just :tinfoil: but I'm okay with being a little paranoid about putting stuff in my uterus.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Flantastic posted:

Newbie question here. I take my ortho tri around 10 every night. Now, sometimes "around 10" means close to 11:30 and sometimes a little later. Some girls I know take it anally at the stroke of their hour, others are laid back. I've heard when its within a four hour time period, it's okay. We use other protection, too, so not extremely worried, just wondering the time frame here. I have a phone alarm but sometimes I'm not around my phone when it hits 10 and then I have this panic when I see the clock...

This is not how it is supposed to be administered :crossarms:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh, needles I can deal with. It's the prospect of fingers in my uterus that bothers me. Seriously, my cervix! :ohdear: Fingers do not belong up there. :cry:

Fingers don't go up there? :confused: There's an insertion thingy that goes through your cervix and pops the IUD in. No fingers.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Fanky Malloons posted:

Also, IUD folks, is it normal to get random cramps for some time after insertion? I've had it for about a week and a half, and I still get the odd twinge from time to time - just wanted to make sure that's normal because my OB didn't tell me anything about it AT ALL.

I get those sometimes. Mostly when I really have to pee :shobon: But they're not something to worry about, anyway, unless they get really severe suddenly.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

oliven posted:

I was on the pill for seven years (four different brands, If I remember correctly) and while they worked great with menstrual pains and all that they completely killed my sex drive. I've been off birth control for two and a half years and as I've got a regular sex partner now I want to get back on something. I'm a bit hesitant with the pill though, because I don't want my sex drive to go down again.

I'm considering the ring as I've heard many good things about it. How is it with killing the sex drive? Am I potentially screwed with any kind of hormonal birth control?

What were you on before? There are a lot of methods that use a lower dose of hormones than pills; I believe Nuvaring is one of those, so it may be helpful in that way. Talk with your doctor/gyno frankly about your concerns and hopefully you can work something out.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

secret explorer posted:

I just went to Planned Parenthood today and was prescribed Ortho-Tricyclen Lo. I was wondering how common the side effects are (spotting, nausea, etc.) and how long they typically last. I'm worried about birth control making me moodier, especially since I take medication for depression.

Also, has anyone experienced decreased libido or painful intercourse while they were on Ortho-Tricyclen Lo?

I was on that for a number of years and didn't have any bad side effects, including when I was also on antidepressants. Those are what really seemed to have libido effects :\ I might have been nauseated or something at the beginning but it was a long time ago. Generally the rule of thumb is that many side effects will go away after about 3 months on the pill.

Also, there's a generic available for OrthoTriCyclen Lo so if you're paying for your prescriptions be sure to get that.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kdc67 posted:

Ummmm No, there's not. There was one the other year, but they had to stop manufacturing it because the patent is not up yet. There is, however, a generic for plain ol' Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Durp. Sorry about that.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fanpantstic posted:

I just got a Mirena IUD put in on Friday. Things have seemed pretty normal - somewhat painful insertion, cramping for the first day or two, and now by day 4 I'm feeling pretty fine and dandy..... except that since Friday night I have been having CRAZY night sweats. Every night I wake up in the middle of the night drenched, head to toe in sweat, my clothes, the bed, the sheets, the blankets.

Now I've been reading all the negative scary stuff about Mirena on the net (yes, I know it skews negative), and people going through early menopause or having crazy thyroid problems and it is freaking me out. I think I'll give a call to Planned Parenthood tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

I'm hoping that it just stops and my body adjusts because I've been psyched about getting an IUD for yeeeears. On the other hand, I'm beginning to consider how crazy IUDs are... shove a piece of junk in your uterus and confound your body so much that you can't become pregnant.

I was initially considering the Paragard because no hormones and 10 years, but then the doctor was like more bleeding vs. no bleeding and I jumped at no bleeding. Hmmm.??

Have you been on hormonal birth control before? What kind?

(Also where I live at least it has been horribly hot since about Thursday. How is the weather where you are? Is it possible that you are making a connection between reaction to the weather and your IUD? Just checking.)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yes, Mirena has a very small quantity of hormones. It works by being a thing in your uterus as well as by means of the hormones, and it's local so it's a much smaller amount. It uses different hormones from the Nuvaring & Implanon. I can't find a source for how much hormone any of them releases, but it is pretty clear that Mirena has less.

eta:

AlphaDog posted:

Am I correct that the risks involved with a copper IUD are extremely small, and that it would be eminently suitable for a woman for whom hormonal birth control is an issue? I'm talking to her about it tonight / this weekend, but we're both going to research it for a week (including her talking to the doctor) before a decision is made about what to do.

IUDs now are much, much safer than they were in the 70's, when there was a big to-do about one that was bad. It sounds like a copper IUD would be really good for her, but one thing to keep in mind is that it can cause heavy bleeding & harder cramps. I have a Mirena and I love it, and it's pretty much taken away my period. If that hormone (levonorgestrel) is allowable for her, it might be a good choice. If she has any questions at all or just wants testimonials, please feel free to ask in here :)

eta again: I just found a list of things that interact with Mirena if you decide to look into it:
click me

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 3, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Don't use more than one method of hormonal birth control at a time, for heaven's sake.

If you end up needing something a little less permanent than Essure or similar, Mirena would be a good choice for you. My "periods" now consist of about a teaspoon of actual liquid and then bloody boogers for a couple of days. Using the divacup makes it go away faster I think because it catches the boogers before they dry out, so they don't just linger for days.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Custard posted:

- I have an appointment to discuss with the doctor what's next. I like the sound of the Nuvaring (or whatever generic version we have in the UK), but it says it can't be prescribed for women who have migraines with aura because of increased stroke risk. As I've only had one, would this matter? My mum had a stroke a few years ago; although that was after surgery. The other option was the Mirena, but I hear that can make cramping worse to start with, and that it is not recommended if you haven't had children? Also that lasts for 5 years and would want to have kids before that, is it worth the initial pain if I have it taken out after ony 2 years? I was happy enough on the pill (bar the weight gain) so anything with those sorts of hormones but it wouldn't matter if I was sick would be great.

Mirena sounds to me (something of a Mirena fangirl tbh) like it might be the best choice for you.
* It doesn't contain estrogen, which is the hormone contraindicated for migraines with aura.

* It has a smaller amount of hormones than other hormonal birth control methods (smaller than implanon & nuvaring). For specific amounts, try these links: Mirena and Implanon. Hopefully that might help with the weight gain...

* Mirena also has the side effect of lightening periods for many women (20% of users). INITIALLY, as in, the first couple days after you get it, you'll get some unpleasant cramping. I'd plan to take some days off if I were you, given your history. For me, I just used a heating pad & I was up and at 'em the same day. I had tiny periods for the first three months and I don't seem to be having them any more.

* It did hurt quite a bit going in, but it faded fast and I'd say it's definitely worth it rather than going on Nuvaring when it might be risky for you. Some people get foreverperiods on Implanon, but other people have been very happy on it. I'd suggest you search for "implanon" and "mirena" through this thread if you want some anecdata.

eta:
* The children thing. The Mirena was initially approved & marketed for women who had already had children, but it has been widely used in childless women since. It's a bit easier to insert into a woman who's had a child since her cervix etc. may be a little less tight. There's also a popular feeling that IUDs are dangerous and may make you infertile, which has a small basis in fact (there is with every IUD a risk of uterine perforation which is very serious and CAN cause infertility) but is mostly a reaction to what happened in the 70's with some of the oldest IUDs. Because of this, some doctors are :tinfoil: about giving young, childless women IUDs lest there be problems. However, the biggest risk factor for uterine perforation is the experience of the doctor inserting the IUD. If you find a practitioner who has lots of experience putting IUDs in childless women, you will lower your already small risk.

eta:

Hegemony Cricket posted:

This prescription is *only* for regulating the monster-periods. As far as I know, the difference between the two start-times is a) upping the chances of a more predictable cycle since I'd know what day I started the pack and b) the time period it'd take for the contraceptive aspect to work. Since I'm not worried about blocking babies at all, does it make any difference if I do a day one start instead? Do any of you have a particular preference for Sunday or day one starts?**

If I were you, I would follow your doctor's advice. If down the line you want to change your starting day, you can do that with the benefit of knowing how long it takes your period to start after the end of the pack. Personally, I liked doing a day one start because I could make sure my periods ended by the weekends, which is the only time I get to see the boyfriend. For now, follow your doctor's instructions, and once you're sorted out a bit in terms of regulation maybe you can change it.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 7, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ceridwen posted:

It lightens periods for way more than 20% of women using it. In the study they did to test it for use as a treatment for heavy menstrual bleeding, 85% of women had a 50% or more reduction in menstrual bleeding by the end of the study (6 cycles). It completely eliminates periods for ~20% of users.

Everything else you said is dead on though.

Ahaaa an important distinction. Thanks.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Kerfuffle posted:

Not quite birth control, but I'm sure someone here has some insight. Does anyone know if those cranberry pills actually help prevent UTIs?

"Maybe" like the other two said. Peeing immediately before & after sex is iirc the only thing that is for sure helpful.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I doubt it.

(ninja edit: but of course to be safe use a back up method for 7 days)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Oh wow, I'd actually never even heard of a soft kind of menstrual cup, just the Divacup kind. Does anyone have any experience using these Softcups? (Not completely birth control related, but this is probably the best thread to ask in besides the general sex questions thread.) It seems like something that might leak a lot depending on the shape of one's lady parts. I'd hate to test it out on the go and find out it leaks for me when I'm in the middle of nowhere on the job.

I'd ask these things in the Menstrual Cup thread (yes, of course there is one :v:). There are a lot of people who've tried a lot of different kinds.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Custard posted:

So after my last post, I spent some time researching the pros and cons of nuvaring and mirena, and thought maybe mirena was a better option but would talk to my GP about it. We didn't get that far - the only
option she gave was that cerazette was only meant to be taken for 3 months, then come off it and my bleeding would be controlled for the rest of the time I'm on the implant! I'm rather skeptical, as when
I forgot to take my cerazette on a weekend away I had a withdrawal bleed straight away. I can't see how his would work, unless there is a build up of hormones, which would give me the same sex drive issues anyway.

Well, that's a bunch of bullshit :( I'm sorry she wouldn't listen to you. Maybe stick with whatever she told you for a couple of weeks and then go back and say "NOW LISTEN HERE I AM INTERESTED IN THIS OPTION AND HERE ARE MY REASONS." While we aren't meant to prescribe things for ourselves, you have the right to have a full conversation with your GP and cover all your questions.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

2tomorrow posted:

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. :)

I'd be happy to talk about my use of St. John's Wort in more detail (I honestly don't deny that it might be placebo effect, but it still works which when we're talking about can't-get-out-of-bed crippling depression is all that matters to me) but I don't have PMs. Do you have an e-mail you feel comfortable posting? If not I can do a throwaway one. I'll be online all evening though (yay heavy smoke from distant wildfires making breathing outside impossible) so can get back to you quickly.

Me too, please. wizardofeggplant at gmail.com

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fork bomb posted:

Women can use birth control (think Depo) to postpone their periods for years without any detrimental side effects.

That said, you may spot anyway because uteruses do what they want.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Jaeda posted:

I'm sorry if this belongs more in the Goon Doctor or something...

This definitely belongs in here. I can't answer any of your questions, unfortunately. I am very sorry you've had such a horrible time with your lady parts though :( In the meantime, if you're having heavy periods, do check out the menstrual cup thread. The difference between tampons/pads & the cup is night and day.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

evelynevvie posted:

Ok, I have another Depo question.

So all along I've been spotting a lot, several times every day. The last few days I've been having basically a semi-heavy period. I just ordered a Diva Cup so hopefully that will help with that.

My question is this: if the heavy bleeding and very very very bad cramps continue for more than a few days should I call my gyno? I ask because when I got the shot 6ish weeks ago, they told me to call if I was bleeding really heavy. I dunno, my uterus is so hosed up. I am switching to the Nuvaring in august when this loving hell shot wears off. I thought the doc was telling me to use the rings now to hopefully stop the bleeding but I'm not sure.

When in doubt, call. You can also clarify the rings thing.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

1337 haxxor pirate posted:

Anyone here use sponges? Until I get my birth control crisis settled, I think they'd be a nice option as my boyfriend's moving in next week. :dance: Would you say they're worth the cost? I feel as though they're an archaic form of birth control, can someone prove the contrary?

A 9% perfect use failure rate is too high for me. What's wrong with condoms?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You should definitely visit your doctor. You need to confirm what the ER visit was all about, and maybe the doctor can help you find a different solution. You're probably okay starting the pill again, but if I were you I'd AT LEAST call the doctor & talk about it in addition to making an appointment.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Fanky, those are all good points, but the highest risk factor for perforation is the experience of the provider... If her gyno doesn't often do them for childless women, maybe it'd be better to go to PP or similar.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I was on Alesse/Aviane for 6 of the last 7 years, a pill with 100 µg levonorgestrel and 20 µg ethinyl estradiol. I'm happy to see that Mirena uses the same progestogen, meaning that I shouldn't react adversely to it. But what is the effect of losing the estrogen? Why is it even marketed if you don't need it?

Speaking of hormones, is there a consensus as to their effect on skin? A dermatologist once told me that they can worsen skin conditions, but I know they're sometimes used to treat acne? I don't have acne, but pretty bad keratosis pilaris. I don't know if hormones have the same effect on these conditions, though....

In a similar vein, is Mirena known to decrease sex drive? What about weight gain?

Also, I'm worried about possible yeast infections/UTIs because of the strings, since I'm prone to them (I had 1 yeast infection and 2 UTIs the one month I tried NuvaRing...).

Can you still wear a menstrual cup with an IUD?

I don't know about most of this, but I still use a Diva Cup with my Mirena. In the very small period in which I was not on SSRI's (:() and had my Mirena, my sex drive was awesome. It's not the same kind of in & out as a NuvaRing, so I should think it'd be less stressful on your vag, especially since most of it is in the uterus.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Anne Whateley posted:

This is not even vaguely true. Here are some things that "perfect use" entails:
- Don't store it in a wallet, glovebox, or anywhere else that might be friction-y, warm, or light
- Check the expiration date
- Be sure it's airtight before opening
- Squish it to the side before opening
- Don't open it with your teeth
- Pinch the tip while putting it on
- Be sure there are no air bubbles before using
- After you come, pull out immediately, while using one hand to hold the condom around the base

Do you seriously do all of these every time? I wouldn't even trust the average goon not to put it on inside-out. It's called typical use for a reason.

True, but we can probably agree that typical use condom still comes out really really well compared to typical use sponge & spermicide, which was her point.

click click posted:

You can't feel poo poo? They can break? They interrupt the act? They fit too tight? They taste nasty? They can slip off?

I don't like condoms, but I don't think they ruin sex or whatever. If even mentioning them makes you this upset, no wonder they "interrupt the act." Try some different brands. Anyway, sorry, this is the BC thread so of course you should go with whatever type makes you comfortable, but perpetuating the idea that condoms are some sort of torture device for making sex terrible is not a good thing either. And as for everyone in this thread, regardless of your method, I hope you and your partner have some idea of what you'd do if your method of choice failed.

eta: Speaking of that conversation, does anyone know anything about what happens if you beat the odds and get pregnant with an IUD in? I know it's got a higher chance of being ectopic or miscarrying, but I guess I'm curious as to how it could turn out to be a healthy pregnancy after all, even after removing the IUD. Wouldn't doing so be pretty stressful on the uterus? (I do not think I'm pregnant, but because I'm :tinfoil:, I like to be able to worry accurately).

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 13, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

global tetrahedron posted:

My girlfriend and I have decided an IUD might be the best route. Now, she works a program where she makes next to no money. A friend of hers in a similar program said she got an IUD installed for next to nothing because of her low income. My girlfriend is wondering if income somehow determines the price, or if insurance might affect how much it costs? (We're totally clueless about navigating the loving healthcare system if you can't tell) She goes back on her mom's insurance in September so she's thinking it might be best to do it before that happens. How do clinics generally process or determine the pricing plans for an IUD procedure? The Planned Parenthood said it depends on the clinic. As my girlfriend moves around a lot it's hard to do specifics, so some general wisdom would be good enough...

If she hasn't got insurance and has really low income, she'll likely get it done cheaper, but that will vary a lot from clinic to clinic. If she can get on her mom's insurance, though, and they'll cover an IUD, then she should absolutely do that. I have insurance & I didn't have to pay for mine at all.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
She should continue with the regular schedule, including the placebo pills.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
The single best thing you can do to help prevent UTI's is to go pee before and after sex.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Peggy Lee posted:

:doh: Meant to write that down. I pee before, I pee after - I guess the only thing I haven't tried is during and that's not really my thing.

Edit (so I don't turn this thread into Peggy Lee's Urination Irritation Station): Tigntink, they do run in my family, but I was hoping maybe I'd dodge the genetic bullet. :(

Do you regularly drink water? TMI time, but your pee should be light yellow, not dark yellow & smelly. If you're not drinking enough, it'll be dark. If that's the case, up your water intake. It'll make things easier on your system.

I do not really know why this should be, but I'm telling you what I was told by the doctor when I had a little UTI.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Bagleworm posted:

I can't recall anyone complaining about constant bleeding while on the paragard; are you sure you're not confusing it with the hormonal IUD, the mirena?

I think I have heard it too, though. Maybe it's confusion with the heavy periods?

Mirena is definitely not known for constant bleeding. More the opposite!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

bobula posted:

I'm getting mega anxious about my mirena insertion tomorrow morning, dreaming of perforated uteruses (uteri?). I hope everything turns out okay :(

You will be just fine. Hunt yourself out a microwaveable heating pad and all will be well.

samizdat posted:

Would switching from a brand name to a generic birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Tri-Nessa) cause any type of disruption? It's the same stuff, right?

No, it's fine.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I was told not to take baths after for a week, I think. I also use a DivaCup and it's just fine. If you have a sock and some rice you could make that into a heating pad if there is no one who can go get you one :(

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

bobula posted:

I was told no unprotected sex for TWO WEEKS! That seems kind of long to me! They told me two weeks when I started the ring too and I thought that also seemed excessive. Are they just playing it really safe?

For the first week at least, you should keep stuff out of there period because your cervix just got its rear end kicked and you may be more susceptible to infection. A week of condoms on top of that may just be for additional protection on that end, perhaps?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
If it's making you depressed and you're not on it for any particular reason (serious period issues or sexual activity), then I'd stop taking it. There is no reason to torture yourself unnecessarily.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
IUDs almost halve risk of cervical cancer: study

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Good points. I just thought it was an interesting correlation. I saw the headline and thought of you all~

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Triangulum posted:

Well this loving sucks. I called Planned Parenthood last night because I have my appointment to get the Mirena inserted today but my period is late. Not only could they not tell me whether or not they would still insert the IUD without me being on my period (said it was up to the clinician), they also informed me that I was not allowed to bring my fiance into the back room with me. Even though its PP policy to allow the patient to request someone come with her. Based on the reviews of the clinic I read, they aren't going to budge on this topic. He's coming with me anyways and we're going to try to explain to them why I need someone I know to be there with me but goddamn, I am dreading this appointment now.

Why can't I they deal with this poo poo like a normal person clinic :sigh:

Fixed for you. You are clearly not the problem here. Good luck :( It will be okay in the end.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

bobula posted:

So I had a Mirena put in about a month ago and all of my residual emotional upset is gone, but the spotting remains. I seem to have slowed down with that though, and now when I go to empty my cup it instead contains clear liquid of some sort. I never had this much clear discharge so I'm not sure what it is. It's really watery and just looks kind of like water tinged with a tiny bit of blood. I wonder what it is?

Didn't see this answered: I had slightly weird discharge early on with my Mirena, too. Nothing to worry about. Mine was more like mucus than water, at least according to what I wrote at the time (I'd totally forgotten about it, but if you click the ? under my name & go to my posts in January, you can read what I had and peoples' answers when I asked about it.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ms. Happiness posted:

One more thing. I use a Divacup for periods and have heard it mentioned that you can't use menstrual cups with IUDs. Is there any truth in that?

There is an idea that theoretically the suction of the cup could pull out the IUD. I'm not sure if that's ever actually happened to anyone. At any rate, I use a Diva with my Mirena, and I just make sure to break the seal with my finger before I yank it out.

AbandonShip: Was it a lot like mucus? Because if so, it was just mucus.

• Locked thread