Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Good time for a new thread!

I have an embarrassing question. I got the paragard a month and a half ago and had no real side effects afterward. Right after my 6 week check up, I started having heavy bleeding. I know bleeding is to be expected, but there wasn't any for so long that I'm starting to get worried. This isn't even spotting. Is this normal or do I call the doctor about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

SilverSliver posted:

Yep, welcome to your new period! It's pretty much like a faucet for awhile. There's 'on' and there's 'off'. I got my paragard in June of '10 and just the past 3 months I've been having a lead up and let down. (Even then it's just a few hours of spotting before the flood.) On the upside it doesn't last as long. But it does even out, just have to wait for your uterus to get used to it's new friend. :)

Oh, I've had my period since I got the IUD and holy poo poo. This isn't as horrible as that, but it's lasting longer. This started happening a week after my period ended too. Can spotting really be that heavy or is it possible that when my doctor went in to check the IUD, she caused bleeding?

Just to be clear,

I got the IUD, got my period the next day. Got my period 4 weeks later and it lasted a week. At 6 weeks later, I went to get the IUD checked and the next day the bleeding started again.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Susan B. Antimony posted:

I have a question about natural family planning. My husband and I are using breastfeeding as our birth control--we do want another child, so it's not as risky as it might be. That said, I was wondering whether when I do ovulate again, it will look the same as it did when I wasn't breastfeeding--okay, that sounds weird, but I read TCOYF and could previously tell when I was ovulating. Will that likely still be true, or is everything different while you're lactating? Also, does anyone know how long on average breastfeeding stops ovulation? I know that once he starts sleeping through the night it's not as reliable, but I wondered whether there are stats out there somewhere. Thanks!

I'd just like to say that this method is how I was conceived.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

So after being on BC pills for almost a decade, I got the paragard inserted a little over two months ago.

I'm remembering what cramps feel like. Help. I have class, work and dates to get to.

I can't keep popping vicodin and they don't seem to make those heating pads that stick to your undies anymore....

Also, a bit of e/n advice: don't go through the pain of getting an IUD inserted if your relationship isn't going to last another 2 weeks. It makes getting cramps again SO much worse.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Spider Chipmunk posted:

Sorry to hear about your relationship; the same thing happened to me except I was the one who ended it. My cramps haven't been so bad, so at least that's something. Are yours absolutely so bad you have to use vicodin, or would a higher dosage of ibuprofen work? Though that has its own risks. The Thermacare pads ilysespieces might work, or you could try something like IcyHot if you don't mind smelling like menthol half the day.

I probably don't NEED vicodin but I'm a large wimp. This is a different kind of pain. I'm used to the dull, ache-y abdominal pain, but now I'm dealing with a shooting, sharp pain thats.. lower.

Is it normal to get a different kind of cramps? Also, is there a reason they stopped making the thermacare heating pads for undies? I would go the icyhot route but I don't want to be in a classroom of 400 people and have people trying to figure out where the smell is coming from...

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

This is kind of awkward but I'm on my period after getting the paragard. There's swelling... Should I be worried?

vvv No, not abdomen. Um, it's a little further south. And only on one side...

Lackadaisical fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 6, 2011

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Does it hurt?

I'd call your ob-gyn and ask about it, but if you do not feel like an alien is about to burst out of your chest uterus it is probably not a perforation or anything, I'd think. Still, better to get a doctor's opinion. And be sure to be more specific than "southern swelling" with him/her! ;)

Definitely hurts but not in an alien about to pop out way...

And oh god, if I can't actually say it on the internet to strangers, how am I supposed to talk about it to the receptionist when they ask why I need an appointment?!

Bagleworm posted:

Does this mean labial swelling?

That's an odd side effect I've never heard of. You don't have a copper or nickel allergy, do you? It could possibly be contact irritation if you're wearing pads or liners. I would contact your doctor or pharmacist - I doubt it's anything serious, but I can't imagine it's pleasant.

Bingo.

And no allergies that I know of. If it is just contact irritation, is there anything I can do to help make it not hurt and help with the swelling?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

So I now have Paragard and am on Yaz. Is this going to have any lasting side effects I should be worried about?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

lunarian posted:

I think you and I got the Paragard around the same time if I remember correctly.
I was actually considering doing this too because I turn into a really terrible person the week before my period and also I hate having periods. Please follow up and let me know how it works for you. Best of luck!

Will do :)

I miss having clear skin.... I went off Yaz and all hell broke loose over my chest and back.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Two words: heating pad. You wouldn't think it would do much but it really does. I think they might even have stick on ones? The reusable, microwaveable kind are good though.

On that note, does anyone know if they even still make those stick on heating pads? They used to be life savers when I had horrible cramps and now I can't find them anywhere. :(

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

OH DEAR GOD

:(

I just started my third period since getting the paragard IUD and owwwwww. I was getting ready to go visit the doctors to figure out why I've been feeling so awful the past few days when the reason became incredibly apparent.

The worst part is I've been taking Yaz again to minimize these effects and so far, nothing. My cramps are horrific and my skin makes me look 14 again. Other than using a heating pad, any advice?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Is it hard to get the paragard taken out? I feel kind of bad about wanting it out after only a few months but uugh....

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

I've been having a kind of weird side effect since getting the paragard IUD and was wondering if anyone else has had it...

Whenever I get my period, I also get a stomachache. I get cramps too and this is different. It feels like I ate something that gave me food poisoning and food runs through me. The first time it happened, I was under a lot of stress and chalked it up to that. But after months of this happening, I'm noticing a pattern.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

I think that's a not uncommon PMS/period symptom. Were you on hormonal BC before? Perhaps the hormonal BC was suppressing it. That is my first guess, because it's an odd symptom to be caused directly by a copper IUD.

Yep, I had been on hormonal BC for close to a decade before.

Ceridwen posted:

It's normal when you get heavy cramping. http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/5953.html

Has your cramping increased with the Paragard?

Dear god yes. I used to barely notice it, now it's awful. Thanks for that link - it's really informative.

I guess the big question is how do I help minimize it? I'm afraid to eat food for 1/4th of the month. When I'm home, a heating pad helps but I'm not sure what to do for days when I'm supposed to be on campus for 9 hours.

Lackadaisical fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 27, 2011

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

While we're talking about getting IUD's removed, I was wondering how comparable the pain is to getting it inserted. I got the paragard put in 7 or 8 months ago and it was awful. Easily one of the most painful things I've had done and that's REALLY saying something. I want to get it taken out since circumstances have changed and it really isn't worth the downsides anymore (constant spotting, heavy/painful periods, etc). The only reason I haven't gotten it pulled out already is because I'm too chicken.

So IS it as bad to get it taken out?

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

While we're on the topic of IUD's... I finally have my appointment set to get my paragard removed! :) Does it make a difference if I'm on my period or not? I'm going to be so happy to have it gone.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

To all the people who responded about getting the paragard removed - did it alter your period after you got it removed? It sounds pretty painless to get removed but were there any noticeable, immediate after-effects?

Cracker Jack posted:

I got mine taken out while not on my period, and I hardly felt a thing. Hope that clears up your problems. I know my bleeding and cramping is WAY better now that the paragard it out of there.

Ya, I'm definitely looking forward to not being on my period for half the month. I got my paragard when I wasn't on my period and it feels like it never really "synced" with my Yaz. I don't even know if it's possible but it seems like I almost have two periods. I get the one when my yaz pack runs out and it's what I'm used to - it lasts a few days but is generally pretty light and painless. Then after it ends, I have a few days before it starts again but it lasts longer, hurts like hell and is much, MUCH heavier. I'm hoping that getting rid of the paragard will eliminate that second part.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Trip report: Got my paragard removed yesterday and getting the speculum "opened" was more painful. The doctor told me I'd feel a cramp when she pulled it out but I didn't even feel that. I was all over in 1 minute and I went right back to work and was 100% fine. I'm still stunned at how easy/painless it was considering how horrific it was to get inserted.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

My yearly pap smears+the works checks are $25 copay, 1 Nuvaring is $10 with coupon. But this is on my parent's insurance, which I'll no longer have in a few years. At least I can use the coupons basically forever.

Also I've never heard of $5 copay, for anything.

I think nuvaring might be the most expensive birth control out there though. :( IUDs seem to be the best bang for your buck.

:( My BC is $5 right now.... But I'm also on several other medications and you'd be amazed at how fast those all add up. Between doctors visits and prescription co-pays, I'm going broke trying to afford my health problems. I'm glad it's going to be free because I know that if I ever DID get to the point where I had to choose what medication to cut out for financial reasons (and I've been close), my Yaz would have to be first on the list.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

For the people posting updates on nexplanon, has it affected your weight at all?

As of a few hours ago, I'm officially joining your club. My arm hurts :( For health reasons, I had to give up Yaz (which I loved) and switch to an estrogen-free method. I didn't want the shot and getting paragard put in a few years ago was the single most painful moment of my life so I didn't want to do that again. But I'm nervous about nexplanon because it seems to be so completely hit or miss with people.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

I just wish Yaz didn't have such a high risk of clots :( after bad experiences with almost every ortho product, Yaz has helped with everything for the past decade (maybe less). No cramps, no acne, and no crazy hormone swings. I'm a big believer in not messing with things if they're working fine but apparently my doctor disagrees.

Although I feel like something out of a scifi movie having an implant in my arm. Watch out, terminator!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

floofyscorp posted:

You can see the outline of mine through the skin, just about. Possibly because I have skinny noodly arms though! If I press on one end, the other pokes up a bit; it's great for creeping people out.

Forget other people - it creeps me out! My doctor asked me to check and confirm I could feel it after she implanted it and once I felt it, I freaked out a little.

Well, it's been since Friday and my arm still looks horrific. I have no idea what to say happened when people at work ask tomorrow. It's still bloody on top of all the bruising :( I'd rock a longer sleeve shirt if it wasn't supposed to hit over 100 degrees tomorrow.

• Locked thread