Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Neko Sou posted:

Gonna have to just (wo)man up and try it I guess, but I'm just nervous. Forgive me for sounding like such a baby, it's just that I didn't get to do this stuff when I was 14 so now I don't have any help. The doctor's gloved finger hurts like crazy so I feel like a piece of plastic is gonna be terrible :gonk:

I don't know if this is what you meant by needing help, but pretty much every pack of tampons I've ever bought comes with printed step by step instructions for insertion. The plastic applicators are really smooth/rounded off and at the risk of being gross, the blood kind of lubricates things. I usually use the kind with cardboard applicators and those never hurt either. It doesn't feel anything like the doctor, trust me.

If you want to take baby steps with tampons, most companies make a "slim" version aimed at teenagers that are just starting out and people who might be a bit smaller down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

If money is an issue seriously go to PP or something, you'll get it for a lot less than $25 I'm sure.

What horrible insurance you have though, jesus. Mine is $25 with insurance and that is still entirely too much for monthly birth control.

fake edit: I have too many posts :qq:

real edit: Lie about having insurance if you go to PP, you won't get in trouble or anything, and paying $40 a pop for it you may as well not have any.

I wish her luck. When I went to PP, they used to charge me $40 a pack for birth control pills (Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo) and I didn't have health insurance at the time either.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Unfortunately, PP is a national organization with local affiliates, and the funding available at the local affiliates varies widely from state to state, or even within the state depending on things like the demographics your clinic serves or even whether or not that location provides abortion.

The local PP in my state can generally provide pills from 15-25 bucks a pack, and Nuva rings as low as 36 bucks depending on your monthly income (has nothing to do with whether you have insurance) but ymmv.

Yeah, they started out at $15 a pack and then it went up to $40 after I had already started them. Luckily I didn't need the pill for contraceptive purposes at the time, since there was no way I could afford that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrNutt posted:

What state is this in? I'm just curious because the type of funding available is so different from place to place and I'm always interested to see how things are elsewhere.

Kentucky. The clinic was based in Lexington, but ran a kind of "mini-clinic" on my college campus once every week.

Oddly enough, the state gives me free birth control now but I had to go through the county health department to get it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sourbugs posted:

OP, you posted about an injection but only mentioned one for women. Is there one for men readily available? I'm single at the moment but it's something I want to know more about for the future, as something to discuss with my next s.o. I don't really like having my cycle controlled, it just doesn't work well for me. I was on implanon but had it removed about 2 months ago. My experience was not so great. It worked first of all, it did what it's supposed to do, i'm not pregnant thank god, but side effects for me were bad cramping, periods that went of for a fortnight, and alot of aching around the implant site. Even with it removed, I get pain shooting through my arm. Never again will I use it. But like I said I don't do well with hormonal methods, the pill was the same (minus sore arm). But it was effective, and cheap too. Only $35 without a healthcare card in Australia. So some other things to consider. I'd try the pill first though if your new to this stuff.

As far as I know, male birth control of any kind other than things like barrier methods and vasectomies doesn't really exist (outside of maybe some experimental stuff). I'm not an expert though, so others can chime in if I missed something.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 23, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

lou reed posted:

I've heard it can kill sex drive, which is counterproductive to say the least. I know progesterone doesn't cause blood clots the way estrogen does, but I still don't love the idea of introducing hormones into my system. From everything I read, Mirena seems pretty solid, though. I do like paragard's longevity in comparison (12 years vs. 5)

There's always the chance of side-effects anytime you're using hormones. But the whole point of Mirena is that the hormones stay very "localized" and the dosage doesn't have to be as high, so the effects might not be so bad.

Also (and this is more of a general thing for everyone) if there are particular side-effects you're concerned about, make sure to speak up and mention it to your doctor. I had problems with libido on the pill in the past and my doctor took that into account when deciding what hormone dosage to prescribe the next time around. I haven't had any of the same issues since. :)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

If you're fine with the idea of a low dose of hormones, potential spotting and other hormonal side effects and don't mind that the Mirena is effective for a shorter amount of time... I would recommend the Mirena, really. More women seem to have a hassle-free pleasant experience with a hormonal IUD, and the low hormonal dose can actually be a benefit - clear skin, reduced cramping, reduced bleeding and less PMS, etc.

This is something else to consider. Hormones don't always just have negative side effects. In my case for example, I never get acne anymore, no PMS, my mood in general is a lot better, and so far no effect on my weight or sex drive.

Avocadoes posted:

Yeah thankfully we have one right near the high school we went to. Is it normally like a doctors office where the both of us can ask a doctor some questions off the [medical] record?

The biggest reason behind my paranoia is that our hometown was a top tenner for teen pregnancy rate nationwide at one point, and a crapload of people I know have gotten pregnant. Are that many condoms breaking? Are people even protecting themselves at all, or are they just using the "pull out and pray" methods?

Planned Parenthood more or less is a doctor's office, it's just that they specialize in sexual/reproductive health issues. Also keep in mind that no matter where you go, your medical records and anything you talk about with medical staff is confidential. No one (not even your parents) will find out about anything unless someone decides to break federal law. Confidentiality slips are the kind of thing that destroys careers so you're pretty safe there.

Like people have said before in the thread, just don't give them any insurance info and there really won't be any way for anyone to know. That should bring things more into your price range too.

Your town is probably a combination of people too afraid of being found out to get birth control and ignorance of what's available or how to use it. And of course you can throw in a healthy dose of plain bad luck too, since accidents can always happen.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 27, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

JustinMorgan posted:

I'm asking this question for my sister who doesn't have an account here. Her period is about a month late after being fairly regular. She's taken pregnancy tests, all negative and a friend told her there is a pill she can take to induce her period. Is this for real? And she's going to Planned Parenthood tomorrow to get this checked out and to find out about going on the pill. Will that induce her period? Would it be safe to start taking mid-weird-cycle that she's having?

Missing one period isn't really something to panic over and I don't really see what good artificially inducing one would do. Inducing a period wouldn't really have any health benefits beyond maybe some psychological thing.

It wouldn't hurt to get checked out by a doctor (and maybe make absolutely sure she's not pregnant), but I don't think there's really any need to worry unless she starts skipping multiple menstrual cycles in a row or things get really weird/irregular. Then you know something really is up.

Hormones are weird and sometimes periods just don't happen occasionally. And the more someone stresses about it, the worse it gets usually. (Yes, I know this is all easier said than done, I've had a scare or two myself)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

artless barbarian posted:

So I've been on an oral contraceptive (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo) for just over a year now. I was prescribed it for a) hormonal acne and b) exacerbated-by-womanly-hormones anxiety/depression. Results have been great with the former, all right with the latter.

It has, however, murdered my sex drive. This is problematic now that I am in a long-term, monogamous relationship. I miss orgasms something fierce. :smith:

I'm not really sure what my other options for contraceptives are, though, insofar as I have multiple 'needs' to deal with. I'd like to not have a face full of acne again as a 23 year old, for one, which sort of prevents me from going 'welp, see ya' to hormone-based BC. I also do not want to subject myself to a massive dose of hormones that come with methods like Depo-Provera, as my mental health is in no way capable of dealing with those sorts of mood swings/sensitivities. (Also, that probably wouldn't solve the sex drive issue.) I've looked at IUD methods, but as I have a history of metal allergies (any nickel whatsoever = rash that lasts until the end of time), I'm leery about them, too.

Basically: is there a magical BC method that would give me back my sex drive, have no ill effect on my mental health, leave me allergic reaction-free and also acne-less? I have this sinking feeling that something's going to have to suffer no matter what I opt for... help?

Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo did the same thing to me - improved acne, improved moods, no sex drive. My doctor switched me to regular Ortho Tri Cyclen and I feel much better (and hornier) on it. :) It has a higher dose of estrogen which apparently is helpful for this sort of thing.

I don't know if it would do the same for you, but it worked for me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ann disaster posted:

How soon after starting the pill should I be expecting nasty side effects to kick in? Because I've been on Micronor for a week and if anything, my skin is clearer and my sex drive is higher than it's ever been. Is this confirmation bias, or what? I feel hungry more often than normal, but I can pretty much regulate what I put in my mouth so I'm not too worried about ridiculous weight gain.

Is the other shoe going to drop soon? :ohdear:

Like the others have said, birth control doesn't always have bad side effects. I've been taking mine for a year now and if anything I feel better than before I took it. Definitely hungrier though, I've noticed that too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Chedranian Girl posted:

Can someone just put my stupidly paranoid mind at ease? I know pills aren't retroactive, so I know it's not going to effect me at all, but.

I'm on Cerazette, a mini pill that has a 12 hour window. I took one at my usual time of 10:30-11 am. That night (4 am), we had sex and promptly fell back to sleep. The next day I completely forgot to take my pill until about 6 pm, which is totally out of character for me, I'm pretty much clockwork.

Anyway, my 4 am romp was already covered by my previous pill, surely? And even if it required my pill to be taken on time the next morning, it was still within the 12 hour window, so that's doubly "safe as normal" right?

I know pills aren't retroactive, you can't have sex and expect only the next one to protect you, so surely the one I took that morning will have me covered until the next day, right? I mean, it shouldn't matter if I took the next one at 11 am or not, because the previous one would have had me covered anyway and every documentation I can find says they don't work "backwards" anyway. Sorry to be so paranoid, I never have "mishaps" like this, so I've blown it way out of proportion. :(

I don't know for sure if it works for the mini-pill, but at the right dosage birth control pills can work the same way that the morning after pill does. Of course, that's kind of thing you should probably only do in a real pinch/as a last resort.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kerfuffle posted:

Like I said, the side effects that other people experienced are not relevant to you. Side effects vary from person to person.

Since you want something low maintenance and longterm Mirena is probably a good choice to look into. But depo is just as viable as an option.

If she's really worried about side effects, depo might make her kind of nervous because you can't really just stop it if things go wrong. You kind of just have to ride it out until the shot wears off after however many months it is. Most other methods can at least be stopped/removed pretty quickly.

That's why I never seriously considered it anyway.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

For once I have a question! :haw:

I was wondering if anybody else here who takes pills has found themselves with extra pill dispensers? The clinic I go to always gives me one for each pack of pills everytime I get a refill. At this point I have probably 19 or 20 of the things lying around. I only need one since I just "reload" it with a new pill pack every month and maybe one or two extras in case one is lost/damaged.

So does anyone else have this problem? What the hell do you do with them all? I hate to just throw them away, could I donate them to the clinic or maybe Planned Parenthood? They're brand new and have just been sitting in that magic brown paper bag that every clinic likes to use. :)

(These are the Ortho Tri Cyclen "dialpaks" by the way, if it matters at all. And uh, I guess if anyone in the thread needs one, you just hit the jackpot.)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Showtime! posted:

I figured I would cross post this from another thread.

For the past 6+ months or so, I've been skipping periods using a triphastic pill. Instead of cramping to death and being violated by tampons once a month, I've been doing it once every 3 months.. Essentially, I'm using Ortho Tri Cyclein Lo like Seasonique by skipping the placebos. i.e. white pills -> light blue pills -> dark blue pills -> dark blue pills -> light blue pills -> white pills -> etc

I'm using the second method from the website linked prior, so the fluctuation in hormones isn't major and with this method I haven't experienced breakthrough bleeding and everything has been awesome. However this month, it's a disaster. I got my period anyway (I think?) and it's pretty drat heavy and annoying. If it means anything, it started on the Sunday I was supposed to take the placebos but took the blue pills. I've done this method before with no bleeding, so what the hell happened this month? I'm not worried about pregnancy since I'm not exactly doing anything while this is going on, but did I break something and should I keep taking the pills as normal or start completely to restart the cycle? Is this super heavy breakthrough bleeding or something else? Gah, help. :/ I'm super frustrated because killer cramps and heavy periods is why I'm on Ortho, it's kind of no point if it's going on anyway...

I'm not really sure, but I guess it could just be your body being weird this time around. I know whenever I skip a period (I'm also on a triphasic pill), the next time I have one it's really heavy and crampy. Then everything just kind of goes back to normal. I'm not really sure what kind of advice to give though, I just take my pills in the prescribed order.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

kdc67 posted:

I was just going to ask this myself. I've only ever been on the pill, but it would seem if your IUD or implant's not working for what you need where you have to take a pill as well, just take the pill.

Obviously I can't speak for them personally, but my guess is maybe they just don't want to have to worry about taking their pill perfectly all the time. The implant provides constant protection from pregnancy that you don't have to take right on time every single day. If you're just using the pill to stop bleeding, you've got more leeway if you miss taking it by a few hours. And if you forget to take it completely one day? No biggie, at the worst the bleeding might come back but you're still protected.

(I know I'm kind of generalizing here that people get the implant because they don't like having to remember pills).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

The wife's reproductive health (and perhaps health overall I suppose) is a complete mess and I'm trying to find some research to help her get over the high-paranoia anxiety she has over hormone-based birth control methods.

What sort of long-term studies in the medical professional community on hormonal BC including IUDs and pills are available? The wife basically refuses to have external hormones put into her body after a (unsubstantiated) bad experience with Yaz almost a decade ago that she strongly believes resulted in endometriosis for her. Her periods and ovulations are without exception painful and vary wildly between 4 days early and 2 weeks late - have been like that since late puberty I think. She gets horribly bad breakouts around her period and her acne's been getting worse since puberty it seems. Thing is, she's turning 36 in a month. Not sure if that counts as PMDD, but I know it's nowhere near normal for someone her age. Furthermore, she has confirmed (and extensive!) endometriosis and had about 800g of fibroids surgically removed the other year, so she's screwed up real good. It also turns out she has borderline Hashimoto's syndrome (hypothyroidism) so maybe BC could interact with that condition too? Her last gynecologist / surgeon suggested Mircet (I think that's it) to help regulate her hormones a bit since it's among the safest and oldest (and therefore researched) pills.

If anything hormonal birth control methods should make a lot of her symptoms improve (no ovulation, lighter periods/thinner endometrial tissue, usually less acne). The problem is of course that it often takes a few tries to find the right method or brand of pill and it doesn't sound like she'd be willing to stick with it. I can't think of any logical connection between artificial hormones and the onset of any of her problems.

What kind of studies are you looking for? Are you just trying to prove that it's safe or that it might help her symptoms? I'm sure there's tons of stuff out there, so it might help to narrow it down by knowing what you're trying to get across to her. It doesn't sound like your wife's organic diet solution has very helpful if she's still complaining about painful periods and so on. Is there any way you could point that out without it turning into a huge argument?

I wish you luck. Every person I've known who won't listen to their doctors/tries to fix all their health problems alone usually won't listen to studies either since it's still all part of "the establishment" they don't trust. I fought a similar battle with my parents for years until I just had to give it up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

Thanks for the journals, I just needed a place to start research. The wife has a number of other psychological problems that make it tough for me to out-rationale her (she has borderline OCD as well as anxiety), but if there's anyone she might listen to, it's me (or some commercial that manages to link not taking birth control to mean that puppies and kitties will die - not joking at all that she's completely taken different lifestyle measures based upon animal welfare). Unlike most hyper-paranoid people, she reads medical articles thoroughly... and proceeds to hyperfocus upon all the side effects / risks and completely rules out anything with risks of any sort without even looking at the benefits unless the confidence is extremely high (usually means less effective of course). This is pretty common among OCD folks and she's admitted to having borderline OCD according to a past doctor / therapist.

She's ruled out the copper IUD mostly because she was conceived when her mom was using one in the 70s and has figured she'd be that unlucky one too. She's almost paranoid enough for her to start asking me to pull out when I'm using a condom or to keep using one even if I got a vasectomy. I guess what bothers me is that she'd rather I make a very permanent decision over her taking steps to improve her own day-to-day health and well-being while using BC in the same stroke.

I'm mostly looking for long-term studies on different hormonal and non-hormonal contraceptives, their interaction with other hormones (or hormone deficiencies), and relation to cancers and diseases like breast and cervical cancer. I know OCD nor behavioral conditioning can't be really beaten with logic, but I'm hoping that with enough authoritative material filtered through me she might at least accept some risks and I can ease her paranoia through my personal support.

The organic food / restricted diet rationale is a long-term thinking one though so I can't really refute nor support it at this point with data. My repeated point is what's the point of long-term thinking if you'll be miserable along the whole way (is it possibly worth a little bit of chance of cancer among all the other risks for a strong guarantee of a better life until then?)? I've pointed out she has zero idea what percentage diet contributed to her conditions nor even that Yaz (now the stupid lawsuit commercials are justification for her saying that's what gave her fibroids / endo) nor that NOBODY ELSE in her family has most of her problems despite all of them having worse, non-organic, very stereotypical Appalachian / Southern diets.

Things are getting worse for her despite therapy and with her refusal to take a decent amount of medications (tiny doses of Klonopin and drinking almost every night hardly count as "dealing with it" to me). And because our life situation is pretty stressful overall and stress seems to trigger things, we're pretty much the worst people for each other to be around I figure.

Unfortunately, if painful periods are a problem for her the copper IUD probably wouldn't be a good fit for her. Not because she'll get pregnant on it but because it does tend to make periods crampier and heavier.

I'm not sure I'd be much help searching for specific articles so hopefully someone better versed in this stuff can do that, but I could point you to some sources. Google Scholar was always very helpful to me when I needed articles. For medical journals specifically, there's PubMed. Of course a lot of these journals require a subscription, so I don't know how much help it'll be. WorldCat might be helpful if you have any academic libraries in your area. If you do have a college or two near you, try their library's website. They usually have a system set up for searching journal articles.

Also if it's cancer she's worried about, there are studies out there that point to BC lowering the risk of things like ovarian cancers so that might be something to look at. And the Yaz lawsuits have nothing to do with fibroids/endometriosis, they're actually for conditions like hyperkalemia and gallbladder problems.

Sorry my post was kind of all over the place, a lot to answer there!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

I was talking about this very thing with my boyfriend not too long ago; his opinion was that it's the permanence of vasectomies that produce that reaction [for the majority of reasonable, intelligent men, heh.] He figured that as long as there's no change for it to permanently remove fertility, most guys would be thrilled to a) be in charge of their fertility and b) not have to use condoms. Assuming both partners are STI-free.

That has been a point of concern for many people, actually: that men will be even less likely to use condoms if they're using a male birth control that is taken as a pill, or similar.

I always assumed with vasectomies it was probably more the whole idea of someone cutting holes in their junk that bothered them, but then I'm not a guy so I'm guessing. Plus judging from the stuff that comes up in the vasectomy Ask/Tell thread, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions about what the effects of a vasectomy are.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The Baroness posted:

Certainly see a doctor, but I have a heart arrythmia and take metoprolol for it and have been on BC for 10 years now. No doctor has ever mentioned it being an issue.

Yeah, I had the same arrhythmia that this woman has (reentrant tachycardia) and no one ever said anything to me about avoiding hormonal birth control. I was on metoprolol for a while there too, along with a calcium channel blocker.

If she ever gets the chance to do it, the ablation procedure isn't bad. I had it done about 6 years ago and I've never had an episode of tachycardia since. Of course I don't know how that would work with her other medical conditions so she'd need to talk it over first.

Overall I think she needs to talk to her doctor or get a second opinion or something. Her situation is a little beyond this thread I think.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrNewton posted:

Last thing. I am really "juicy" down there. Can I just use my natural juices as lube or is this a big no-no?

Thanks for helping me out!

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. If you're lubricated enough on your own there's really no need to use lube, especially if your body gets irritated by the stuff so easily. I've never really used lube for vaginal sex and it's never caused any issues, with or without condoms (like Geolicious said, natural lubrication won't have any effect on condoms).

Vaseline however will weaken them so don't use that if you're sticking with condoms.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jshoreflyer posted:

Quick dumb question.

My gf is on low-ogestral (a generic pill I think)
We are not usually active during her placebo week. But we had sex without a condom the last day of her placebo week.

I read on the first page that the pill protects during the placebo week. But is there a increased risk because she doesn't take the hormonal pills during that week just the sugar pills?

Just curious, we usually use condoms and shes on the pill. This was a rarity for us so im just uncomfortable not knowing what the outcome might be :(

The protection should be the same as long she starts a new pack the next week like usual.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

miss_chaos posted:

O HIGH PRIESTESSES OF THE CONTRACEPTIVE DEVICE MEGATHREAD. A humble request for help.

I got my period today while about to finish my second straight packet of the Pill. Not just a little spotting, but a full period - albeit not as heavy as usual. I still have three days of hormonal tablets left. Is the Pill not working for this to happen? I got flu last week and threw up about 6 hours after taking the Pill, but I'm pretty sure that's outside of the absorption danger zone. WTF?

You say you were on your second straight packet. Were you skipping your placebo pills? Whenever I try to skip the placebo week, I'll usually just go on and get a full blown period anyway. Part of it is probably because I'm on a triphasic pill (are you?) but it seems like my body just refuses to skip periods. Maybe yours is like that too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

legsarerequired posted:

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight while on hormonal birth control? If so, could you give me the name of whatever you were doing?

I don't know what you consider significant, but both times I've been on the pill I always lose about 4 or 5 pounds after I start, usually the first month in or so. I don't really change my habits or anything though, apparently that's just how my body reacts to the hormones. They've both been some form of Ortho Tri Cyclen so maybe that has something to do with it.

SPACEMAN SAM posted:

Just a reminder to always take care of your end of birth control. Even if you trust your partner. I had a relationship with a woman I trusted and our method of contraception was the pill, she had ran out, forgotten to pick up more, and then did not inform me of this very important change while we had sex. I found this all out two days ago because she is now five weeks into a pregnancy and I am now going to be a very sad 19 year old dad. My friends and family are pretty ashamed of me. Don't do this.

It sounds like you didn't take your own advice. I'm sorry your girlfriend was irresponsible with her birth control, but I'm not sure why you decided to post this. I know there aren't as many birth control options for men, but they are out there.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Flantastic posted:

Thanks so much! I feel really bad about it, but the directions aren't too harsh when you actually miss an entire pill, so I knew it couldn't be too bad.

I think the main idea with the combination pill is to just encourage you to get into a routine so you remember to take it every single day. And what better routine than picking a time and sticking with it? :v: After that, I guess people just get paranoid and kind of spread the fear of missing a pill around.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Helvetica Neue posted:

I've used NuvaRing for just over three years now, and I love it! I have a longer cycle, typically 28 days between periods, so 35 days including my period. However, my body has been acting strange lately.

My last period started after just 20 days of having the ring in. Typically, I take the ring out at day 28 and spot for 2 days, then 3 days of actual flow on day 30-33, tapering off. This period, started full force on day 20, ring still in. Weird. Took the ring out, had my period, put a new one in.

Now I am on day 13 and I have been spotting for the last 4 days. This is really weird for me, this never happens. It's not red either, it's much darker black/brown. What does this mean? I have had a regular cycle for so long, it's really freaking me out. Is spotting ever a sign of pregnancy..? :ohdear:

It's sounds like breakthrough bleeding. I've been taking the same pills for over a year, but even now some months I'll just get spotting for a week or two for no apparent reason (it's never been pregnancy related either). It's just one of those things that happens with birth control sometimes. And yeah, it's usually kind of dark/brown looking.

That said, if you're really freaked out about it or start having other symptoms don't be afraid to call your doctor or head in to get checked out. A pregnancy test is also an option to ease your mind.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Well, I guess this will be a crazy week. She just called me saying she's super paranoid. She goes "what if I dropped the first pill through the straw into the orange juice when I was taking it?" :raise:

Based on what DRP Solved! said, I told her she can take the second pill right away if she wants.

I can only imagine what she must be going through... :(

Well (assuming she finished the orange juice) if the pill wasn't in the bottom of the glass she either swallowed it or it dissolved really fast and she got the dose anyway. :haw:

But seriously, stress and your hormones suddenly going way out of whack can make you a wreck so I wish you guys luck. Try to take consolation in the fact that you guys have done everything you can to prevent an accidental pregnancy at this point (easier said than done I know).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Serendipitaet posted:

Okay, I'm a bit stressed out over the following situation.

On April 16 my girlfriend took her pill a little late but within 12 hours of the usual time. We didn't have sex that night. The next day, we had sex with a condom since she told me that she was unsure about the day before. On the same day, she forgot her pill entirely until about 24 hours later.
For the next two weeks, we only had sex with a condom (without anything going wrong) and she took her pill on time. On May 2, we had sex again and this time the condom broke. So in short, we had unprotected sex one time while she was on the break between cycles and she forgot one pill two weeks earlier, i.e. in week two of the pill cycle.

How worried should I be?

You're probably OK. You're generally considered "safe" if you've been taking the pill consistently for a week straight or more, so if she actually took them everyday for two weeks she's most likely in the clear there. I'm not sure if that changes once you're in the middle of the pill pack, but that's how it is when you first get on birth control anyway. You're also still protected during the break between cycles, so that's not an issue.

If this is a common thing with her, maybe your girlfriend should consider a birth control method that requires less memory? Things like Nuvaring, Norplant, IUDs, etc. I hope I'm not sounding self-righteous there, it just might save you guys a lot of stress in the future.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

Yeah, there's another PP near me. A few, actually. I told them I wanted to stay on the same pill, but they flat out refused to give me those pills. Would going to another PP help with that?

Yeah, some doctors are more cautious than others so it's possible that another clinic might be more lenient. The clinic I go to knows I have migraines and they never really made an issue of it. I don't get the vision changes with mine, but I don't think they ever asked me about that one way or the other.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

chapstickie posted:

I was more thinking it might have been caused by stopping the Nuvaring. It took a little bit of time to start falling out after the first missed ring. So basically

Sept- no ring, tiny bit of hair loss
Oct- yes ring, hair loss
Nov- yes ring, hair loss
Dec- no ring, hair loss
Jan- no ring, hair loss

and so on until now.

I guess I'm mostly curious how long it should be taking for my hormones to even out after stopping the ring.

Are you having any other symptoms along with the hair loss? I'm not saying you're wrong, but it does seem kind of odd that you would start having something like this after using the ring for so long with no effects. It seems more likely that you have something else going on that just happened to start at the same time you skipped a ring.

As for your question, the last time I stopped taking birth control it took about 3 or 4 months for everything to really normalize. I stopped taking it around November and everything was pretty regular by February. I was taking pills though, I'm not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

samizdat posted:

I have a couple questions.

1. Has anybody else suddenly become allergic to the patch (or the adhesive)? I was on it for 2+ years but this spring I started having really horrible irritation and itching skin underneath wherever I put the patch. When I removed them each week, I had red scabby marks where the patches had been. I continued using them for an additional month because I didn't know what was causing it, until it became unbearable.

I'm really pissed because I've been on nearly everything (and hated everything else) during the past several years. Pills (Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri Cyclen, Ortho Cyclen Lo), NuvaRing, and now the patch. I don't want Implanon or an IUD, and I'm not interested in Depo.

2. I just started Ortho Tri Cyclen last Monday, and somewhere along the line I accidentally took two pills in one day — you can see why I was using the patch. I wasn't sure whether to take Thursday's pill on Wednesday (when I realized my mistake) or to wait until Thursday, so I just took it Wednesday and decided that my new start date for packs was Sunday. Was this a good idea?

There are tons of other brands/formulations to try if the Ortho pills aren't working for you. Most of the ones you listed are more like variations on the same pill.

I can't really say if what you did was a good idea or not, but if you're sexually active right now it seems like backup birth control might be a good idea for a little while at least. Otherwise I guess just stick to the new schedule if that's going to work for you. But I'm no medical expert so if you're really unsure, check with your doctor on that.

I know you've probably seen it a million times in the thread already, but I have an alarm programmed into my cell phone for the same time everyday to remind me of my pill. I used to forget/mix-up pills all the time until I started doing that. Even if the phone alarm isn't your thing, just find something that'll remind you to take your pill around the same time everyday. Eventually it'll become ingrained and very routine.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

secret explorer posted:

I just went to Planned Parenthood today and was prescribed Ortho-Tricyclen Lo. I was wondering how common the side effects are (spotting, nausea, etc.) and how long they typically last. I'm worried about birth control making me moodier, especially since I take medication for depression.

Also, has anyone experienced decreased libido or painful intercourse while they were on Ortho-Tricyclen Lo?

When I took Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, I wasn't sexually active so I can't really comment on the painful intercourse thing, but I definitely noticed a decrease in my libido. That was actually why I stopped taking it, because I just didn't feel like myself in a lot of ways. Kind of lethargic or something.

When I started the pill again, I told the doctor about my previous problems and she suggested Orto Tri Cyclen since apparently it's got a higher dose of estrogen and that can help with libido. I've been on it over a year now and so far I haven't had any sexual problems with it. And like others have said, it's a hell of a lot cheaper. The Lo version cost me $45 a pack, while I'm getting my current prescription free from the clinic I go to (which I realize is unusual, but even $9 isn't that bad.)

Haji posted:

I just started birth control (for pain management - not baby prevention). I am a week into my pack. I have just started bleeding again. Only it's not normal blood at all. It's thick, brown paste and I am extremely unhappy.

My 3 year anniversary is this weekend.

How do I get this to stop? Screw the (very minimal) consequences. It's not like the boyfriend can get me pregnant anyway. He has a vasectomy. I will do anything to end this NOW.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Sounds like breakthrough bleeding. It does tend to be more like some weird brownish junk, I guess because it's such a light flow of blood. The only solution I've found is what Not Your Senorita suggested. I usually just have to take a placebo week and "bleed it out" so to speak. Then I start a new pack and everything's fine. I don't know if it'll work for you, but that's all I know of.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

I'm not convinced that taking a placebo week one week after staring birth control for the first time will fix the breakthrough bleeding, and it certainly won't help mood swings. Rapid changes in hormone levels = not good for side effects...

I wasn't recommending that she take a placebo week one week after starting the pills. What I meant (and admittedly didn't express very well) was that the only way I've ever gotten the bleeding to stop was to just put up with it until I got to the placebo week, not "stop taking your pills right now, then start them again after a week."

Sorry I didn't get it across in my last post.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Panzer Skank posted:

Hey guys, I need some reassurance.
I was on Yasmin for the last 5 years or so. My prescription ran out and I went to a new doctor today (at PP, god I love them) for a new prescription. It turns out my crippling aura migraines, which I thought were inherited from my mother, were being caused by the Yasmin. :( The new doctor was completely shocked my old doctor let me stay on it for so long and she prescribed me Nora-BE POPs.
Does anyone have good experiences with progestin only pills they could tell me? After what was going on with the Yasmin I'm pretty nervous about side effects from a new pill. Google keeps auto prompting "Nora-BE WEIGHT GAIN" over and over.
I know that one person's experience with a drug can be 100% different than mine will be, but it would make me feel a little better to read it anyway. :)

If it makes you feel any better, you can find tons of complaints through Google about weight gain for just about every pill out there. Every time I've researched a pill, I found a ton of that stuff regardless of the brand or what kind of hormones it used.

Also keep in mind that most people aren't going to go online and be like "I took such-and-such pill, nothing happened to me and it works great! :) " They aren't going to notice and complain unless it's a negative side effect, so it kind skews towards the negative.

I don't have any personal experience with Nora-BE so I can't help there, but just something to remember.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Panzer Skank posted:

This is super true and I will try to keep it in mind as hard as I can when anecdotal evidence gets to me. I figured this would be a good place for positive anecdotes to counteract google; posters in this thread seem like they have had every kind of experience possible. :)

This is reassuring. I know a lot of people who love birthday cake also love posting stuff on the internet. Thanks. I will certainly come back and post after my first few months with this pill.

That's good. :) I just remember the first time I was about to start taking the pill, I searched around online and scared myself a lot just reading all these side-effect horror stories so I thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

In any case, I hope the new pill works out for you!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

legsarerequired posted:

I have a question about timing. Today I switched from the depo shot to Alese (a pill that uses estrogen, from what my gyno told me). My doctor warned me that I should take Alese at night, so I can sleep through any nausea if I get that as a symptom.

I was due to have my next shot on June 2, next Thursday. However, my doctor strongly emphasized that the absolute latest that I should start taking the Alese pill is Sunday, May 29. It's pretty bad timing, because I'm going to be out of at a Burning Man-type of event all of this weekend, and they're going to burn the effigy late Sunday night--and if I'm hoping to consistently take the pill at night, I think the burn would definitely throw a wrench in that. She also warned me that the pill will make some women feel nauseous and sick, and I'm kind of bummed I'm going to be having these side effects at my first ever burn.

Does anyone know why she told me that it has to be Sunday, especially considering that I'm still protected by Depo through Thursday? I mean, I'll do it if I have to, it just seems kind of arbitrary that I can't wait a day or something.

I've been researching birth control and weight gain myself, and as far as an I can tell, any hormonal birth control can have totally random effects on different women's weight. I spoke to my doctor about it today and she put me on a pill that uses a different hormone than what I normally use, but she warned me that it really varies woman to woman.

EDIT: That said, you should totally just ignore me if you find actual research or studies, rather than anecdotal evidence, especially since weight gain and birth control can really vary by individuals.

This is just my experience so take it for whatever it's worth. When I started the pill I took it at night and instead of sleeping through anything, I think it just gave the side effects time to kick in because I woke up feeling incredibly nauseous for about a week. I personally do better taking them around 4 or 5:00 PM, but that might vary for you. I'm not trying to get you to ignore your doctor's advice here. And if it makes you feel better, the nausea wore off after a few days really.

Most of the pills I've taken use Sunday as kind of the default "start day." For example I was advised to start my first pack of pills on the first Sunday after my period and the instructions in the package recommended it too. As for why Sunday, I always assumed it was to make the pill schedule easier to follow since Sunday is the beginning of the week and all that but I don't know for sure. I think you can start on other days of the week sometimes, but it sounds like your doctor might have had her reasons so you probably should ask them about it before you change anything around.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 26, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

VoodooSchmoodoo posted:

Yes, the thing is I seem to react so badly to hormones I really don't want to be on them. I'm 38, I can't afford the 3 months waiting time to see if I'm no longer insane. I split up with my last boyfriend 5 months ago, but I really haven't had an inkling to find someone knew. Don't get me wrong, I was over him the day I dumped him. I only just realised how badly the pill affects me now. My anxiety level is so crippling I've had time off work. My libido has completely vanished. I had similar problems the last time I was on it.

It's such a shame there's not been a more ergonomic diaphragm design since I first started having sex a billion years ago. I think it would be perfect for me.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but do you want children at all in the future? If not, there's always the option of something like a tubal ligation or Essure. Both of those are non-hormonal if a permanent form of birth control is an option for you. And you might have better luck convincing a doctor to do it since you're in your thirties.

I'm having a hard time coming up with any completely non-hormonal methods other than what you mentioned already unfortunately. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

SilverSliver posted:

But then 5 years worry free sex! :pervert:

10 years! :pervert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Budget Bears posted:

I have a question about the patch. OP says that the patch is the highest dose of estrogen of any hormonal birth control. I haven't heard any horror stories from my research but I have a super shallow concern: is it gonna make my boobs grow? Because I already have monsterboobs and I would really like to avoid them getting any bigger. I ask because both of my sisters complained that their boobs got bigger when they went on birth control pills, and I'm worried that, since the patch is an even higher dose, it would affect me the same way. Again, apologies for the ridiculously shallow question. :blush:

Also, am I going to have any trouble getting birth control from Planned Parenthood because I'm underage? (I'm 17 and in California, if it makes any difference)

It's pretty unpredictable and varies from person to person, so nobody can say for sure what will or won't happen with your boobs on the patch. Also, don't feel bad about "shallow" questions - it's perfectly all right to be concerned about any changes to your body a medication might cause, even cosmetic ones! :)

If you want a lower dose of hormones but still want something you don't have to deal with everyday, NuvaRing might be something to ask about if it's available. But you have to be comfortable with insertion and all that.

I don't know how it works in California, but I don't think your age should be a problem. You could always call ahead or check the website if you know which individual clinic you're going to. I know my local Planned Parenthood never seemed to have an issue with serving underage patients at least.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

chapstickie posted:

I was actually also curious about the 2 birth controls thing except I'd be facing it from the other side and one of mine isn't hormonal. I have a copper IUD and am worried that once all the tests for this hair falling out stuff come in that they're going to say that being on the pill might help and try to take my IUD. I don't trust the pill because I don't have the greatest memory. I was on it for a few months a few years ago and although I never missed one, I worried that I might a lot of the time.

They won't make me get rid of my non-hormonal IUD so they can hormonally treat my hair loss, will they?

Unless they think the IUD has something to do with the hair loss, I don't really see why they would remove it to treat the condition. Since the copper IUD is non-hormonal, taking a pill probably wouldn't be any different for you than it would be for any other woman who switches from her natural cycle to the pill so I can't see a reason to remove it there either.

I'm not a doctor though, just my best guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yargh posted:

I'm back on pills; wooo Ortho-Cyclen. Went through Family Planning and got two months to start with, just to see how I'd handle being on it now. Question though, my period came last Thursday (6/02), and I took the first pill on Monday (6/06) because...that's the day I got them. That's ok, right? I mean, they did advise to do so, but I'm so used to "Sunday starter" procedure. I thought I could take Sunday and Monday pills yesterday (I didn't) so I'd be on track but it seems I can just go around the ring as normal, until I reach the inner ring. Hurf I'm making this harder than it should probably. :saddowns:

Did your pills come with a paper insert in the pack? They usually have specific instructions for what to do for the different kinds of starts included in the packs of pills. I think usually if you're doing the other "Day 1 start," you start it during the first 24 hours of your period. Or at least that's how it is on the instructions for Ortho Tri Cyclen.

• Locked thread