Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

akulol posted:

My god, I'm jealous.

My battle against yeast was a losing one. I got a fluconazole from my doctor yesterday, but it feels worse today - I'm trying to grade papers in an unsuccessful effort to ignore wanting to violently scratch.

I'm tempted to get an OTC yeast treatment. Which ones work? Plx halp. :(

A lot of times when I've taken fluconazole, the symptoms would get worse at first then better. I know everything says it should improve pretty quickly, but I always had like a really itchy day or two before it would clear up. Also usually you take two of these a week apart, so this is probably just the first dose.

Pretty much any over the counter stuff is going to be fine, it's more about how much you want to spend and how long you want have ointment going everywhere. I usually used the 3 day clotrimazole, because the 1 day treatments weren't long enough to work, 7 days is too long for and miconazole (the stuff in Monistat) was too irritating for me. They're a little more pricey but I liked the ones that had cream and little vaginal suppositories just because slightly less mess.

I'm not really sure if OTC is going to help much if the prescription isn't. Did the doctor actually test you for yeast? Like I mentioned before there have been times I was convinced I had an infection, but the doctor would test and find BV or find nothing abnormal at all.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

akulol posted:

She only gave me 1 fluconazole even though I asked for two :(
She did test for yeast and it was there. I'm like 80% sure I'm getting it from boyfriend recurrently - he has no genital symptoms, but he's got throat yeast, and we use his spit, lol. I'm trying to convince him that he needs to take care of that, because if I get one more drat yeast infection I'm going to quarantine my poor vagina. Sigh.

Well you don't take two at a time, but every time I've taken them it's always been 2 doses taken a week apart.

Men can have genital yeast infections without any symptoms so it's entirely possible he could have it there with no obvious signs. But has he been tested or seen a doctor at all? I don't understand where the throat diagnosis is coming from. Plus if it is thrush he can get treated and checked out, because it's not really normal to have that as a healthy adult (that's not on antibiotics or something along those lines).

GoodBee posted:

Read whatever OTC thing you buy and make sure it actually has an active ingredient and isn't homeopathic bullshit. The amount of non-medicine pharmacies are stocking now has skyrocketed.

That said, most of the medicinal creams will probably help control symptoms and make you more comfortable while the pills work.

Yeah, the AZO yeast treatment mentioned earlier is homeopathic stuff with no antifungal ingredient in sight other than maybe having a probiotic.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I have never had a yeast infection but many of my lady friends who have said DO NOT USE the Monistat 1 Day or your lady junk will burn like 10,000 suns. :supaburn:

They all burn to some extent. I think the 1 day ones are just really high dose or something (and always worthless for me because it's just not enough time). Really expensive too - to the point that even out of pocket, the prescription stuff is cheaper.

cash crab posted:

There's an over the counter pill I tried once that I can't remember the name of that was loving great. But like the filthy loving hippie I am, I have used yogurt and garlic in the past with great success for yeast infections.

I've found yogurt to be helpful too. But I also found out the hard way that it can cause an overgrowth of the "good bacteria" and give you something just as irritating as yeast, called cytolytic vaginosis. So be careful with that unless you want to sit in baking soda baths for a week. :sigh: I only say this because I see a lot of people online who seem to think that you can't overdo it with stuff like yogurt or probiotics because it's natural but you absolutely can.

Edit: Wow, so it seems I've gone from 7+ day periods to about 3-4 days now. :stare: I've lost a bunch of weight in the past few months which might be a factor, but it's a really (pleasant) surprise.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 31, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I can't really say for sure what it is, only that I never experienced anything like that when I had my IUD.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

Every so often I get cramps so bad and sharp and quick I feel like I am going to poo and sometimes they are near my "period" and sometimes they aren't and it doesn't happen every month. They usually last for about an hour but I also usually take ibu as soon as I feel them coming on. I always chalked to up to "thing in my uterus".

I've gotten the sharp twinges and pains before, but I've never felt like I was going to throw up/chills/cramps etc. and I wouldn't really describe it as all that severe so I don't know. :shrug:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

Do I need to wait a certain amount of time for it to be accurate?

If you've missed a period it should be pretty accurate. The last test I took also came with a little slip of paper in it that had a chart outlining the % accuracy based on the timing of the test.

But it sounds like you're using your birth control as you should so stress and any kind of weight fluctuations are probably the more likely culprit. I've been trying to lose weight the past couple of months and ended up over a week late once recently (which for me is really late and unusual).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Just as an update, for anyone curious or worried about post-surgery: for the past few months my body has apparently decided that being sterilized means light 3 day periods with no cramps. :woop: I know it's not typical and who knows how long it will last but it's pretty great! Nothing else to speak of though, feeling very normal in every sense.

akulol posted:

Hello Paragard Pals,

I've had mine since mid-september and generally get my period around the 12th of the month. I've had really sore, tender boobs all of last week, and on Saturday (the 5th), I started having that dark, stringy discharge I generally get at the end of my period, even though I've got a solid week and a half before it's normal blood time. It persisted as the dark stringy stuff until today, where it seems to have escalated into full blown period, even though I'm mysteriously without cramps. The last two periods have been crampy hell for me, so this is extra confusing. Did anyone else have anything like this happen? I've also got some sort of terrible cold, too, so I'm bonus miserable. Weird stuff comin out of everywhere... blah. I took a pregnancy test (ok, I took two) and am not pregnant.

Also, also, this might be the weirdest symptomy thing, but when boyfriend and I have sex, it sometimes feels like he's hitting some sort of internal structure (not cervix). It'll have this kind of clicky feel that doesn't necessarily hurt but just feels weird. It seems to only happen in certain positions (if I'm tilted in some way or if I'm on top). It's extremely distracting. This hasn't happened before with any sex partner ever, or even with the current one before a month or two ago. I was at the gyno the other day for a routine checkup and forgot to mention it, but she didn't say she saw anything weird. Any ideas?

Thanks goons! I think I'm going nuts. :confused:

Just to be sure I understand (not making fun here), you're worried about not having cramps? In any case, I definitely had periods on Paragard that either didn't have cramps at all or maybe had them for a day and none for the rest of it. For me that was after the 6 month mark when things got "settled" but maybe your body has just adjusted sooner. I don't think it's a sign of anything bad really if everything seems to still be in there (which I assume your gynecologist would have caught).

I never had the sensation you're talking about during sex or at least I don't think I did, so I won't be much help there.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

akulol posted:

poo poo, yep, I guess I am complaining about that. haha. Good lord, the amount of blood I've lost over the last few days has been crazy. Do any of you use a diva cup or a similar device and play highish impact sports? I hate tampons, but the idea of doing a heavy clean and jerk and having a diva cup explode out of my crotch and spew blood everywhere is pretty terrifying, haha. You're welcome for that imagery

No big deal, it's just the first time I'd heard that complaint. It is definitely possible to have cramp-free (or mostly free) periods with Paragard.

And if no one here has an answer, there's a Menstrual cup thread here in Ask/Tell that seems to stay pretty active. I usually just used the giant Ultra absorbency tampons for the worst days, but of course you said you hated tampons and I definitely didn't do sports of any kind. :v:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Explosions! posted:

Going in to get my tubes tied on Thursday (after several reschedules and delays) and I just wanted to say thanks thread, for helping me figure out how to phrase things better at the gyno's so I can actually get what I want. I feel so much better informed when I go into the office now.

Question for other tubal ligation people: How long did it take you to feel ok to drive/ride again? I kinda need to ride/drive for about an hour a few days after my surgery. Should I just not or will I be ok?

Do you mean just like regular driving/riding in a car? I don't drive at all, but I really don't remember having a problem riding around as a passenger at any point. Even on the way home from the hospital it was fine for me, though I've heard others complain.

In general, the first few hours/evening after surgery was the worst when I just wanted to lay around in bed on painkillers. By the next day my stomach muscles just felt like I had done too many situps, I was extremely bloated and kind of tired/short of breath (thanks to the gas pressing on my diaphragm) but I was able to function for the most part. I had my surgery on a Thursday and I felt normal by the next Monday or Tuesday when the gas finally dissipated, but everyone recovers differently.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

If you've had the IUD this long and a previous one before that, it doesn't seem like that would be the problem? I never had any problems like specifically from the IUD. But what I can tell you is that sometimes your body just changes on you. I used to never have problems with much of anything, but over the years I've become more sensitive and will get itching/burning/yeast infections from drat near anything (or nothing obvious). Regardless of birth control method.

Anyway, the most likely culprits I can think of would be your period or the hormonal changes associated with it throwing off things like pH or flora if anything. Sometimes I get like that either right before or right after when hormones are fluctuating all over the place. Or maybe it's the cup? Either it's due for a really good sterilizing or it's time to get a new one? The silicone does eventually start to degrade after a while (years and years, but still).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Another thing that's helped me out lately even though I'm sure it sounds odd was giving all my underwear a really deep clean. Instead of just washing them like normal, I soaked them for a few hours in a vinegar/water solution then washed them all out in hot water with unscented detergent, no fabric softener or dryer sheets, etc. So far things seem to have improved or at least it hasn't hurt anything (me or the underwear). :shrug: I noticed a lot of suds in the soak so maybe after a while my detergent was building up a residue or something. As a bonus they look a lot brighter again and yes the vinegar smell washes out.

Also weird seemingly benign stuff like changing your toilet paper brand/type can do things. Or sometimes your body will suddenly just decide it doesn't like things you've been using no problem for years. It can get pretty maddening trying to pin down the cause when you have sensitive skin!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I got an IUD because I was fed up with hormonal side-effects and that was basically the only option reliable enough for me. Most of the horror stories you hear about IUDs really aren't that common and the internet just tends to skew towards the negative.

Even if I hadn't been trying to avoid hormones, I personally got super creeped out by the idea of having some thing just under my skin like that and the whole crazy irregular periods/spotting thing wouldn't have helped.

Geolicious posted:

Paragard is still only approved for 10 years by the FDA. I think in Europe they'll let you keep it for 12+.

Mirena is only approved for 5 years by the FDA. But studies are showing it's likely good for 6.

It may be officially approved only for 10 years, but there's definitely no problem keeping it for 12 years in the U.S. When I got mine, it came with a little reminder card with the month/year it had to be removed, which worked out to 12 years (2013-2025). No one's going to come make you remove it at 10 years anyway.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

meiram posted:

I use a cup with my iud, and I know some others in here do too. It's definitely possible if you don't break the seal, but I don't think it's all that common. I wouldn't let that be a deterrent, you just have to make sure you break the seal on your cup when taking it out. I think it did happen to someone in here though.

Yes, we did have a poster in the thread (a few years ago now I think) who partially pulled out her Mirena when removing her menstrual cup. So it's not just an urban legend type thing, but everything should be fine as long as you're careful.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

packsmack posted:

So, my girlfriend is on nuvaring and she puts it in and takes it out at the correct times each month. There is a pretty large gap between perfect use and "typical" use according to their own stuff and wikipedia. Where does that gap come from? What kinds of things are going wrong that decreases the safety?

In addition to what Scudworth mentioned, I'm pretty sure correct storage is a big thing with NuvaRing. I think you have to keep them refrigerated before use, which some people (and even sometimes pharmacies) don't do. Also sometimes they expire or people just aren't as careful about remembering all the correct times to take it out/put a new one in.

Basically the same kind of stuff that makes a lot of birth control fail.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Retail Slave posted:

copy/pasted text from a thread I created and then closed. I figured I'd ask here instead:

Ok, next Friday the 27th I'm going to get a vasectomy so I can't knock my wife up anymore. We have 3 kids and while we love them all dearly, we can't afford any more.

She has side effects from birth control pills, and it's much easier for me to get a vasectomy than for her to get her tubes tied, so here we are.

To be honest, I am freaking the gently caress out about the procedure. I get light headed if I even think about it too much. I even got dizzy in the doctors office during the initial consultation as he described what he would be doing. I'm going to be awake while they're sticking needles into my dick and cutting it open and aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Goons that have had one: What is the procedure itself like? What can I expect for recovery? I have the weekend off to recover, and I know I'm going to need to ice it a good deal. My doctor gave me 10mg of valium to take for the procedure. Will this just calm me down, or make me loopy to the point where I don't even know my name and won't know what's going on (the preferred choice)? I know what the doctor told me, and of course he's going to say it's not that bad, but I want to know firsthand from people who have had it done.

There's a Vasectomy Megathread here in Ask/Tell that's just fallen back a few pages. People have posted a lot of questions and answers in there that might be helpful.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Asiina posted:

Are all hormonal options the same for reducing periods? I'm thinking about going on BC, but the primary reason wouldn't be for contraception but to regulate my extremely heavy periods. I already take iron to protect from anemia since what is typical to put out over your entire period I can lose in 3-5 hours, so something needs to be done.

I'd prefer to take pills rather than an IUD, as I already take medication on a regular basis so adding in another is no big deal, and I can't take ibuprofen so am a little wary about getting an IUD put in without comprehensive pain relief, but will pills be as effective for the period stopping/lightening?

Reducing or regulating? Progestin-only options are good for lightening or possibly stopping periods, but it can make things kind of irregular. Combination methods will make your period more regular and also possibly lighter too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

broken pixel posted:

Thanks, Geo. :unsmith: It sucks to be constantly on edge about pregnancy unless you have a full-on, "this is a period happening" period, but as you said, being pregnant is the literal last thing I want. I figure I'd be better off with the cheap strips hanging around to remind me that, in fact, I'm actually pretty dang responsible and the odds are very slim something would happen.

I know it's the exact opposite of what you're trying to do, but there's a thread for people who are trying to get pregnant here in Ask/Tell that has several links to cheap, bulk pregnancy tests. Because I guess when you're trying for months and months you go through a lot of them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hi thread, I got a Paragard today and now I'm being a huge baby and cuddling up to a heating pad and my bottle(s) of ibuprofen. Is there anything anybody particularly recommends for cramps? Is there a better option than ibuprofen as far as over-the-counter stuff? I used to have really bad cramps, but they lightened up considerably over the last couple years and so it is going to be rocky readjusting :downs:

Naproxen (aka Aleve) works well too. But it lasts longer so you can't take it quite as often as ibuprofen. I've also heard the vitamin E thing, but I honestly never noticed much difference on or off of it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

KillHour posted:

She picked it up from the pharmacy. "Mononessa"

I've never heard of it. It looks like its a combination pill? Is there somewhere trustworthy I can read up on it? Call me suspicious, but she said they didn't ask her anything about what kind of BC she wants or spend any time going over her options. I have a hard time believing that all BC pills are the same quality / effectiveness / whatever, and I feel like they probably just gave her whatever was dirt cheap.

Someone set my mind at ease, because I just don't trust it.

Mononessa is just another brand name for Ortho-Cyclen, which is a well known birth control formulation that's been on the market for at least 20 years now I think? I'm not sure what will make you feel better. Just because it's a generic or cheaper or whatever doesn't mean it isn't going to work.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 11, 2016

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

KillHour posted:

I just don't trust oral birth control in general. 8% typical failure rate is really really high to me. And being on the market for a long time is a downside in my mind. To me, it means it's old technology and doesn't work as well as the latest and greatest. I don't know, I'm probably being paranoid, but if it came out a week ago and cost $1000/pill, I'd probably trust it more.

"Typical use" generally means the failure rate you get when you're really bad at taking the pill everyday, on time, making sure you're aware of drug interactions etc. If she's taking it everyday as directed, she's much closer to "Perfect use" effectiveness which is .3% Combination pills in particular are actually very forgiving in this regard.

Also some of the most effective birth control methods out there have been around a long time. I used a copper IUD for years and years and that particular model went on the market 30 years ago (and the general concept is much much older).

Frankly, if something like the pill is still too risky for you to feel protected against pregnancy (especially for a weird reason like "it's cheap") then maybe sex in general isn't something you should consider right now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

KillHour posted:

Well, it's the "I don't know what I don't know" thing. How do you know to ask in the first place? I understand why PP wouldn't just get into a long discussion with every patient about all their options when a pill works fine and they have a line out the door and not enough staff to deal with it all. Which is why I recommended she get a referral for next time, so she had someone who was getting paid for their time by her insurance company and won't mind holding her hand a little bit more about the whole thing.

I'm not saying PP did anything wrong, I'm just clarifying why I was concerned and decided to ask around for opinions on the subject.

Honestly this is one area where she probably isn't going to get a lot of "hand holding" regardless of where she goes. The pill is kind of the basic "default" birth control doctors will give you. If you want anything else, it's kind of up to her to do a lot of the legwork. Every time I've wanted to switch birth control methods, I had to do most of the research myself and then specifically request it. I think the only time I had a doctor make a recommendation was when I changed pill formulations once.

As for side-effects, I know the very first time I took the pill I had insane nausea for a few days, but definitely not the full 3 months.

3.141592653 posted:

I'm thinking of doing the iud route or switching where I get my birth control from. But, I'm leaning more on that IUD. I've done some looking into it, but I think I want to go with the copper one.

I don't stop by the thread quite as often as I used to, but I had a copper IUD for about 3 1/2 years so if you have any questions I'm happy to try and answer them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

Hello, pals. So, I've had my IUD since August. I have been spotting like crazy for the last week or so, usually right after sex.

I would like to think that it's stress since the following has happened: e: deleted pointless oversharing

Am I deluding myself? Should I go get it checked out? Months later and I am still terrified about migration/expulsion.

I would randomly spot all the time with my IUD and the thing never moved the whole time I had it, if that makes you feel any better. But if you can there's nothing wrong with getting it checked if it will give you some peace of mind. I used to ask about the placement pretty much every time I had a pelvic for whatever reason, just because it made me feel better.

• Locked thread