Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I want to say thank you for making this thread. Reading it has been extremely informative and it's very comforting to have such a vast source of information right here for the looking. :)

That said, my birth control prescription is about to run out so it's back to Planned Parenthood for me next month. I've been thinking about exploring some other options. I've been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclin Lo for about 6 years. Started on it about when I started college. It's been working out fine, no problems at all, but it seems there have been some new additions to the birth control options since then. I'd never even heard of this implanon thing before the thread, or the Nuvaring.

The implanon thing sounds especially appealing to me because it looks like it has about the same side effects as hormonal BC (which I already know I can tolerate), and it's no-maintenance, with the added bonus of the possibility of being period-free. That is very appealing!

So I think I will ask PP about it. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. If I'm wrong, please let me know now.

To add my two cents to the weight loss while on hormonal BC discussion, I've dropped about 10 pounds in the last two months with a light exercise routine and portion control, and still going. I could probably be dropping a lot faster if I exercised more and really watched my diet. It's not crap, but it's probably not great either. Mostly I've just been trying to eat less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Volcano posted:

I think the chance of Implanon stopping your periods entirely is about 1 in 5; if you're not one of the lucky few, you can expect things to get pretty irregular. Aside from the potential period madness, it's great.

Oh yes. I saw here that it had about 20% chance of stopping the period. Even irregular, light periods don't seem like they'd be too bad, and it'd be really great to just put a thing in and not have to worry about it for 3 years. I'll have a chat with PP about it when I go. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

So hey, I just had a consultation at P.P. today vis a vis getting Implanon. They were super nice and gave me a little pamphlet thing so I could read it over, and said they'd call my insurance company to make sure I'm covered. The lady who talked to me also talked about the Mirena, which I have also seen mentioned in this thread. I just... don't think I'm prepared to try that. The Implanon seems nice and non-invasive, whereas Mirena is pretty painful to insert. I am not so good with pain. :ohdear:

Anyway they said all I have to do to get the Implanon is call them the first day of my next period. So yay! :neckbeard:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

2tomorrow posted:

Silver Falcon, be aware that the local injection they give you to numb your arm hurts like hell, and your arm will be sore for a bit afterwards (though it's more of an ache, or was for me). So Implanon isn't pain free, but it isn't that bad. Not trying to scare you off it as I love it, just being honest.

Oh, needles I can deal with. It's the prospect of fingers in my uterus that bothers me. Seriously, my cervix! :ohdear: Fingers do not belong up there. :cry:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ok clearly I was operating on some misconceptions. Pardon me. :shobon:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, I am officially off my pills. I have an appointment with PP Wednesday to get my Implanon. They said no sexytimes until then.

I am both excited and a little bit apprehensive.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

fork bomb posted:

Good choice! Expect your arm to be sore for a bit. I had a touch of the malaise (general icky feeling) the day after getting it put in but was fine after that.

Well, I actually just came down with a cold today, so I'll be feeling lovely anyway! :v: Either way, I'm not going to work tomorrow.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hope things work out for you, Tulip! I agree that lady was way out of line.

Anyway, I got my Implanon put in yesterday. Just took off the gauze wrap so I could take a bath, and I see I have some lovely bruises.

The insertion itself was relatively painless, little pinch for the local, and it stung like a bitch when she was injecting me. I also felt a little pinch as she was shoving the Implanon in there. I guess it got beyond the reach of the local? Anyway, no problem.

It just took a long time. I had my husband come with me since I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to drive, plus moral support and blah blah. First, they were trying to solve some issues with my insurance, so we waited for an hour plus, then, the actual procedure took over an hour! I thought it would be a lot quicker than that... my husband was rather miffed, because he was bored. And I don't blame him either.

Ah well. At least it's in now, and he doesn't seem to be pissed off anymore.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

:aaa: What were they doing for all that time? I've had two put in, and they took less than five minutes -- combined.

I mean I spent an hour from when they called me into the back to when I went out to pay my bill. The insertion itself... I can't say how long it took because I wasn't looking at the clock. She did do a lot of futzing around though. She dismissed the nurse for some reason, even though I think she could have used the help. She wasted a lot of time unwrapping things. Plus, they called two people in the room to ask me questions they'd already asked me at my consultation, and in between I was sitting there waiting for a good 10 minutes I'd say. I guess they were just really disorganized. This was PP, by the way. It's the first less-than-stellar experience I've ever had going to them, so I dunno what was going on.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

So, I've been on the implanon for a little more than a month now and it's going great so far. Last week I had a "period." I put that in quotes because it sure was a sorry excuse for a period if I ever saw one. ~3 days in total of extremely light bleeding (stretched over about 5 days, with bleeding every other day).

I put a tampon in because I still have loads of them lying around, but it was hardly necessary. Really, it was just a trickle.

I'm feeling fine so far, and my sex drive is normal, so it looks like this thing will work out just fine. :)

Thanks all of you for this thread and for the extremely helpful advice you continue to provide.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Well, I just found out my new health insurance doesn't cover Implnon, only the pill. It won't be an issue for three years, but still. Pisses me off. I didn't want to switch insurance in the first place! :argh:

As an aside, I haven't gotten my period since that little trickle a couple months ago. Should I be going to get a pregnancy test, or just thanking my lucky stars that Implanon stopped my periods?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

gabi posted:

Warning! Incoming stressed out word vomit!

I'll add in my anecdote! I got Implanon close to a year ago now and it's never given me a lick of trouble. For the insertion, all they did was give me a local anesthetic, then cut a little slit and shoved it in. I don't remember any pain. At all.

My arm was wrapped in about an inch of bandages and gauze afterwards, which felt weird but it wasn't a big deal. I was supposed to leave the bandages on for a day or so and not get them wet. Again, no big deal.

The insertion site was bruised, and a bit sore for a few days, but that was it.

Take a deep breath and relax. You'll be fine. :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Candygram posted:

So it has been four months since my Implanon has been inserted.

I had a period right away, then no period for 6 weeks, then a normal period every 3 weeks, and now I am having a 2 day period about once every week or two. The irregular bleeding is still a fair tradeoff for the peace of mind. When have you other Implanon users experienced some regularity?

My main problem is this though. For the last couple of days the implant has been itching and driving me insane. It has not moved at all and looks fine, so why the irritation? Anyone have this problem? It hasn't itched for the last four months until now.

I think my period is irregular, but I've been bad about keeping track of it since I got the Implanon. It's just not so important, you know? It's usually super light and I barely get cramps. It's usually just "Oh, look, there's blood on the toilet paper. Time to put in a tampon."

I've never had skin irritation, but sometimes when I bend my arm a certain way, the insert pinches a bit. Pretty minor and totally worth it for the worry-free baby blocker.

Aimee posted:

I read the OP and a couple of pages, but didn't see this asked (though I'm sure it has been in 75 pages!)

I've been traveling abroad for over 2 months now and am unsure of when I'll be heading home. Before I left, I got 3 months worth of birth control pills, but forgot in that planning that I usually skip my placebos for 3 packs (OKed by my doctor) and thus 3 packs of pills ends up only covering 9 weeks.

Heh, I had a similar situation when I went to study abroad in France. Totally forgot to order extra pills, ended up panicking when the student health center said they didn't have any.

I ended up walking through town, stressing out, when I spotted a sign that said "Planning Familial." Is that what I think it is?! It was. I think I stumbled upon the French equivalent of Planned Parenthood. They were super nice and understanding, and didn't even charge me a dime for my pills! :3:

Anyway, I'm glad you could find someone to help you out. Being in that situation sucks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

samizdat posted:

Well, now I have a yeast infection (an interesting new experience) and my doctor thinks it's because I switched between birth control pills with different hormone levels. Kind of weird.

I used to get yeast infections at least a couple times a year when I was on the pill, but I haven't had a single one since I switched to Implanon 2 years ago. Could be coincidence, but regardless I'm grateful. Yeast infections suck. You have my sympathies.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I'm getting my Implanon out and a brand shiny new Mirena inserted on 23rd May! I'm excited and also apprehensive. But after reading some of you ladies' horror stories, I figure as long as my experience isn't worse, I'm good! :D Plus one of my coworkers has one and she went to a lady who's been putting them in for years, and her insertion was the worst one she's ever seen. Coworker still says she'd get another one in a heart beat. That's a heck of a recommendation!

I've never had kids and I do have insurance, so I'm hoping it'll all work out. I'm also hoping my husband will be able to drive me back from it, just in case I'm hurting. :ohdear: I'll be gearing up for battle before I go in, taking my 800mg of ibuprofen. Let's do this! :black101:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Trip report! I just got back from Planned Parenthood, where I was getting my Implanon removed (its time was nearly up) and getting a Mirenda inserted.

Result: the removal was super easy. The doc said it was the easiest Implanon removal she had ever done! Then we got to the Mirena part and... hoo boy.

Guess my cervix decided to respond to my easy removal by puckering itself up like a tight little rear end in a top hat. The doctor couldn't even get the stupid thing open to insert the sounding device, much less get the IUD up there. And she tried several times. And she said she does IUD insertions all the time.

So now I just feel all crampy and shaky with nothing to show for it other than a rad bandage on my arm. :mad: The doc gave me some cervix softening medication that she said may help if I decide to try getting Mirena again. Or I can just get another Implanon.

I'm kind of torn now. I wanted to try the Mirena, because it lasts longer, has a lower hormone dose, and has a chance of stopping periods entirely. All those were very appealing. However, I liked the Implanon just fine and I know it's a heck of a lot easier. So I don't know. Help me decide, ladygoons! :ohdear:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

biggest platypus posted:

The same thing happened to me when I tried to get my mirena the first time. It hurt like hell and was ultimately unsuccessful, and I went home to another month of nuva ring, crying out of frustration (and a bit from the pain). The next month I tried again. I got the cervix softening medication and went to a real gyno instead of my GP - they both had experience with IUDs but the gyno had done more. It worked this time - still hurt, and I learned never to take 4 ibuprofin on an empty stomach (oof), but success!

I can't tell you how it compares to Implanon, but don't let the failed insertion deter you too much - there's hope!

Thanks for the reply! I'm actually going back today to get a new Implanon put in. The cervix-softening medication might have worked, but I didn't want to try going back, have it fail again, and tack on another wasted day/another dang week of no sexy funtimes without condoms. Ugh.

The lady who tried to put it in said she does a ton of IUDs, so I don't think it was her...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ladies! I need a bit of advice.

I got the Implanon inserted last Thursday, May 29th (at about 2pm). I was told to use a backup method for 7 days.

However, we got a little frisky last night and had sex at about 11:30 pm. Technically I abstained for 7 days and 8 hours or so. Was I covered by then, or do I need to call up Planned Parenthood for a morning-after pill? :ohdear:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

floofyscorp posted:

Pretty sure you're fine. Seven days is a safety buffer just to be 100% sure the hormones have kicked in and are doing their thing. You waited over the seven days! It's grand.

Thanks. I ended up calling them and they said the same thing. It's a relief. Just wondered if I was cutting it a little bit too close. :sweatdrop:

Here's to 3 years of no babies!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

So, I got my new Implanon at the end of May and haven't had a period since. I was starting to get a little paranoid, even though my chances of getting pregnant on this thing are vanishishingly small, so I got a pack of babby-detection sticks from the pharmacy.

Results: NEGATIVE. So I guess I'm OK. Kinda weird not having my period for so long. Of course, I fully expect that now that I've mentioned it, I'll get it the next day! :argh:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Etuni posted:

Thank you for all your help, this is useful info. I've been reading about a number of women who found their sex drive dropped dramatically or completely disappeared on Nexplanon, which makes me nervous about that method. Although, the same can be said for some women on IUDs... It's hard to make this decision when you can't know what side effects, if any, you'll get until you try!

Does anyone use a menstrual cup with an IUD? This might be a silly urban legend, but my friend claims that her friend somehow pulled out her IUD while taking out her cup. Is this possible? Was one or the other inserted wrong? Am I working myself up over nothing??

It affects everyone differently, but for what it's worth, I'm on my second Nexplanon and I haven't noticed any negative effects on my sex drive. It's lower than it was when I was younger, but I'd chalk that up to... not being a horny teenager anymore. :shrug:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Splish posted:

I think I might be in the same boat--is it the implant, or is it that I'm on year four with the same person? I think at least some is due to the implant.

Anyway, I find that I've had pretty much the same reaction to nexplanon, which I've had for a year, and depo, which I used for about two years. Maybe try out a couple cycles of depo and see how your body reacts to progestin only?

I've been with my guy for 11 years. poo poo has it really been 11? Yeah, it has.

I'm considering getting the ol' tubes tied, frankly. I'm 32 and still have no interest in reproducing, and neither does he. I figure if I regret that decision down the line, we can adopt.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

You guys made me want to reach over to my arm and feel where my Nexplanon is. :gonk: It's still there, right where it's supposed to be, phew.

It's still working out great for me, and I even managed to lose some weight!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Anoulie posted:

Ouch. I just got mine two weeks ago and it's still where it's supposed to be, but now all these stories are making me nervous O.o

Also, speaking of Nexplanon, how's y'all's periods on it? I got really light periods on the pill (desogestrel) and I started one the day of the insertion of the Nexplanon, which still hasn't stopped 12 days later. Is that normal?

Mine are light, but random, and sometimes seem to last for longer than 5 days, but I've never actually counted.

They also like to show up during or right after sex, so that's always fun. It's like my uterus is punishing me for not getting pregnant... Spiteful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Snoo posted:

I wish the nexplanon lasted longer because it's a lot nicer than the IUD in some ways. less painful insertion, you don't have to check strings, just make sure it's still palpable in your arm, and if it shifts a little it still works. I haven't had a period in a year, either.

I went to Planned Parenthood just last month for a checkup and inquire about more permanent birth control in light of my Nexplanon being due for replacement and the incoming reign of our Orange Overlord. They said I'm too young to get sterilized (I'm 33 next month), and I don't feel like disputing that, but they DID tell me that Nexplanon now works for four years! I won't have to get a new one until 2018, so that's nice. Hopefully by then Lord Orange won't have made it impossible to get BC! Otherwise I guess I'll have a case for getting sterilized!

• Locked thread