Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
Oh. My. Gosh. So, I am finally taking week 13 of Seasonale. The placebo week. I had been spotting/bleeding since my second week on this, with a very short week sometime in the second month where I didn't bleed at all. I would take the spotting days over this!

I've been bleeding heavily for the past three days. I feel lethargic, and it's like "crap, am I going to need a transfusion?"

I am really hoping that my doctor was correct when he said that when I start the second pack my body will calm the fffff down. Because this is unbearable! The cramps suck, too. 400mg of ibuprofen touches nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Neko Sou posted:

On my 3rd month of Jolessa (Wal-Mart generic for Seasonale) and I just started bleeding out of nowhere for over a week now. I was a couple weeks away from my first scheduled period when this started. My gynecologist had all but promised me I'd be bleeding a lot so I was surprised when it never happened (until just recently). Is this going to keep going until my period starts? :smith: I can't have sex with my husband when I'm on my period (religious reasons) and I've never used a tampon (before it was religious reasons but now that I'm married I'm scared it will be too painful) but I'm starting to get desperate. I want to get a Brazilian but I can't do it when this is going on. It's just enough bleeding to prevent me from doing the stuff I want to do but it's not a real period. Help anyone? :(

I just finished up my first pack of Seasonale. I've been bleeding since week two. I'm on week 13 (placebo week) and bleeding VERY heavily.

If you're having sex, then tampons shouldn't be a problem. I find them more comfortable than pads!

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Be a big girl?

Bagleworm: What have you been doing to get rid of the infection? If you use like the 3 day cream, it isn't actually likely to get all of it. When that happened to me I finally went to the health center and they prescribed me a pill thing, and said that in future it's better to just get the 7 day cream or the prescription pill.

Ah yes, you would be looking for Diflucan 150mg (generic is fluconazole 150mg).

Which, if you are in Canada, is no longer a prescription drug as of March 2010. If you are in Canada, you want to go to your family planning section (along with the rest of your yeast infection treatments) and look for CanesOral. If it's not there, then check at the pharmacy counter. Customers have been punching the capsules out and leaving empty boxes behind, so we keep ours stashed behind the counter.

You will also be paying a little over 20$ for the capsule alone, or around 24$ for the capsule and some clotrimazole cream.

rainbow kittens fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 7, 2011

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Goonettes, tell me about your experience with night sweats!

I had no idea why I was waking up soaked from head to toe every few mornings. Last night I woke up in the middle of an episode, and I went to pull my legs closer to my body and realized they were completely covered in a layer of sweat. The entire length.

This has only been happening in the past few months since I began Seasonale.

The internet tells me this can happen when taking hormones.

*sigh*

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Hey guys! I am on Seasonale! I have questions (again).

It's known that some anti-biotics/anti-infectives/B12/etc can affect how effective birth control is.

What does this mean exactly? For instance, I was doing okay this second set of Seasonale. At the beginning of the month (second month of my second pack) I needed to go on cefuroxime for a sinus infection, and I have been bleeding non-stop since then.

I can't figure out if I was spotting before that because I was taking B12 around the same time as the Seasonale, or if it was because I always eat when I come home from work, and THEN I take the pill. I realize that food can change the way that estrogen is absorbed.

My concern is also that maybe my metabolism is way too fast to begin with. I eat what I want and can never gain weight. Perhaps the estrogen is being metabolized too fast? I am not sure. But I am concerned. I'm really hoping at the next appointment my gyno won't tell me to stay on Seasonale.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Uh, so guys? How do I take the Nuva Ring out and what is it supposed to feel like after spending 3+ weeks in your vagina? I can't seem to find it? Could it be expulsed without me knowing?

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

2508084 posted:

Reach waaaayyyy up there. I actually noted how much easier it was to pull it out (i had it when I was like 17) now that I have an acryllic manicure, but I'm still full-finger-deep while pulling it out (did it earlier thanks to this thread :j:). I think the chances of it just falling out (esp without your knowledge) is pretty low.

Oh god... how much further? I've got short fingers! I was thinking that I would notice if it fell out... but I was also hoping it wouldn't be so far back!

Should I tie a string to it next month? Haha

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

2508084 posted:

That's not a bad idea actually. I always feel like I'm this close to fisting myself trying to get it out. It gets way up there.

And does it feel pretty much the same as it did when you first put it up there? Like, solid? About the same thickness?

Edit: My problem too is that while I've had SOME sex, I haven't had a whole lot (and not even since 2009), and so I'm quite tight.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

2508084 posted:

Yeah its exactly the same going out as it is going in. It's solid and plastic-y.

I have the same tightness issue. It's a treasure hunt, dig in.

All else fails, go to a gyno tomorrow and have them take a look

Well, in knowing that it was REALLY far back, and after reading a few other message forums with advice on how to shorten the vagina, I thought I'd let you know that Operation Remove NuvaRing has been a success!

Though I had to do it doggy style and now feel thoroughly manhandled :(

I think I'll be getting some latex gloves for next time. I keep my nails short, but I had to really dig in to latch on to the ring. The only finger long enough to reach that far back was my middle finger, and I'm really too tight for two fingers.

...things I never thought I'd post on the internet...

I must say that the past month ON the NuvaRing has been fantastic, though! My acne is clearing up, absolutely no spotting (gently caress Seasonale) and if the worst part is the removal, I think I can deal with it! What a breeze!

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Bagleworm posted:

Vaginas don't work like that. :P You're "tight" because you're (probably) not aroused and you're probably nervous. I don't have Nuvaring, but I do have an IUD whose strings I have to check. I find I can touch my cervix easier if I crouch down and keep my back straight. If I'm standing or laying down, it's always too far in for my fingers to reach.

Things like that always get easier with practice! The next time won't be as bad, now that you know what it feels like!

That may be so, but I am certain I still have part of my hymen. Which is what I was yanking on at first. There was a loop that seemed to be far back, so I pulled and pulled and pulled. And then I bled a bit and I looked and I was like "That's definitely not the NuvaRing".

But yeah, I had an easier time on my knees. And once I found it I was like "SCORE!" but then I lost grip and had to do it all over again.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Oddly enough for me, this has been the lightest period I've ever had. I had been off the pill for a couple of months and hadn't had a period, then went three weeks with the Nuva Ring. Took that out Sunday night, didn't start bleeding until Tuesday. It's finishing up today, and I think at most I used three tampons.

Wow.

I. Am. In. Love.

Normally if I go for a few months without a period, I will be bleeding for at least a week, and changing tampons constantly.

I think the NuvaRing and I are going to be best buds.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

I love alcohol hand sanitizer as it really gets rid of goo quick :)

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Lanthanum posted:

Also, how high up the vagina is the ring supposed to go? I feel mine is super shallow, i can stick the first third of my finger in and feel it already, I've tried pushing it up further but it always comes down and hangs out there. I don't feel it while walking around, and it hasn't ever fallen out yet, but I was under the impression that its higher up????

Can we switch vaginas?

It's a treasure hunt when I go to get mine out. My fingers are short anyway (the longest one being barely 3 inches), but I've got really squat and bear down. I feel so manhandled by the time it is through. Still... 5-10 minutes of searching versus trying to remember the pill (and all the digestive things I had going on while taking it) is so worth it.

Lanthanum posted:

e: Also my acne has cleared up!!!! I love nuvaring :h:

Mine is nearly gone, too! Still a bit on my chest, but otherwise... gone gone gone!

I find I get reaaally cranky during ring-free week though. To the point where I take everything said to me to be a personal attack. Just need to stay calm! I'm enjoying the decreased bleed-time though! Only about 5 days! Yessss!

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

I only pay 1.55$/ring with the Nuva Ring. I work as a pharmacy technician, and pay something like 30$/mth for insurance (dental/vision/medication) and only pay 10% of the actual drug cost - no markup/professional fee. So yeah, 1.55$ :( I'm glad to hear that Obama is finally getting some things done for you guys :)

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

DRP Solved! posted:

Unless you get severe diarrhea, or throw up within a few hours of taking the birth control, antibiotics shouldn't reduce the effectiveness of your birth control pill.

I worked with a pharmacist who was adament that women be told of the risk of getting pregnant while taking antibiotics, and that they always be advised to use a backup method. Her reasoning? Her son, a constant reminder.

Either way, some pharmacists are absolutely strict about reminding patients of the risk, and some don't seem to bother at all. I play it on the safe side, and put that little pink sticker on OCPs as well as the antibiotics that may possibly cause reduced effectiveness.

DRP Solved! posted:

I'm thinking that if there really is an increased risk of pregnancy with obese women using COCs, it's probably not related to the drug itself and possibly related to other factors more common in obese women, such as ability to take the pill appropriately. It's just speculation though!

Metabolism with OCP has to play a big part. As someone with a heightened metabolism, OCP was burning through my system and so I'd get a burst of hormones and then god knows what, because I'd be spotting for most of the month on anything I tried. No problem with the Nuva Ring, however.

rainbow kittens fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 3, 2011

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Peggy Lee posted:

I appreciate it. UTIs suck a lot and any more tools in my arsenal are useful. I do drink a lot of water - that poo poo is drat near clear sometimes.

My guess on the science behind it would be that the more volume of liquid you have going through there, the more flushing going on so the bacteria can't grab a foothold as easy.

Take showers; don't take baths.

This was the advice of my doctor when I was a child. I had constant UTIs, and a really bad bladder infection that went to my kidneys. I was on sulfatrim for years, and should probably still be on it. Anytime I decide to take a bath instead of a shower? UTI! So I just don't do that.

I know of other women who get UTIs a lot as well. One lady had never made the link between bathing vs showering and UTIs, and once I told her that I couldn't take baths, she stopped taking them as well, and her incidence of UTIs went way down.

Hope this helps! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

samizdat posted:

Would switching from a brand name to a generic birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclen to Tri-Nessa) cause any type of disruption? It's the same stuff, right?

It could, depending on whether or not the non-active ingredients (fillers) are different in the generic versus the brand. Most of the patients in at our pharmacy seem to not have problems, though some have reported spotting, etc. Generally we try not to switch patients unless it's an issue with insurance, or they request the cheaper alternative, etc.

• Locked thread