Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
As a heads up for anyone, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has gone up in price yet again. I picked up my prescription today, and it was $65 with Ortho's $15 off coupon, making it $80 normally. (My insurance only starts to cover it after my deductible's met.) They started off around $45 when I first started taking them 4 years ago. I'm so glad I have an appointment with my doctor soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That sucks :( There are generics of Orthocyclen (monophasic) and Ortho tri-cyclen (triphasic like what you're on, but perhaps more hormones) available, and I know they're in the Target/Walmart $9 category. They might be worth trying if you aren't going to go another route.

Yeah, we'll see what my doctor says. Regular Ortho Tri-Cyclen contains 0.01mg more of estrogen than the Lo, but evidently it's still considered a low dose pill. Sucks when you like what you're on, but unless my doctors are going to give me endless months of samples and they're going to lower the price eventually, something has to be done. It'll be futile, but I'll definitely call the company directly to complain.

Scurvy posted:

However, she's always been dismissive and tells me that my current form of BC works fine, and so there's no need to switch. I told her why I wanted it (convenience, not to mention lower chance of human error), and she says, "that's not a good enough reason to switch."

This is absolutely not ok for a doctor to be doing. She should be having a discussion with you about the pros and cons instead of, "Well I say you're fine so that's it".

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Mine get pitched. I have one of those "designer" cases Ortho offered at one point that has a bit thicker plastic. I don't see any reason that you couldn't tell them you don't need the dial case, though.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Ring of Light posted:

This might be a dumb question but why do you continue to use Implanon when you have to take a birth control pill to control side effects? Why not ditch the Implanon and just take pills? Does the increased effectiveness make you want to leave it? I had terrible bleeding and sexual side effects and got mine taken out and switched to generic Ortho Tri Cyclen and have been so much happier.

I was just going to ask this myself. I've only ever been on the pill, but it would seem if your IUD or implant's not working for what you need where you have to take a pill as well, just take the pill.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
According to this site, you can possibly get it down to $24 by calling 1-866-395-8367.

Yeah, my Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo started at $45 when I was first on it and kept climbing up to $80 per month. They offer a $15 coupon on their site. Whoopee. That's still absurd. Companies want to get as much money as possible before their patent expires. Loestrin's expires in 2014, and Tri-Cyclen Lo's is 2019. In addition to that, often times unless your insurance deductible's met, they aren't going to pay out on birth control. The other year when my deductible was met, I'd get a refund check from my insurance and only ended up paying about $6 of the $55.

If the card doesn't work out for you, just find out what pills have generics and ask your doctor about switching you. Wal-mart also has a lot of birth controls that are $9. The generic of the regular version of Ortho Tri-Cyclen is one such, and I have to say it's pretty nice. I would think, off the top of my head, if you REALLY need that iron supplement in addition during your periods, you could probably just take one on its own or in a multi-vitamin.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
The office should be able to tell you what services the doctor provides over the phone. You can even try to ask for a quick phone consult when the doctor has the time if they're unsure. Just be super polite, tell them what you want, that you're far away, and you don't want to waste the doctor's time.

From what other people have said, PP will do them. Call! :)

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

legsarerequired posted:

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight while on hormonal birth control? If so, could you give me the name of whatever you were doing?

Yes, I lost 56 lbs. last year while on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo / Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Basically I did what you did. I cut fast food and junk food down to nearly nothing, and exercise was 4 days a week of high intensity walking and climbing, 1 day of lighter cardio, and rotating days with weights.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Also, there's a generic available for OrthoTriCyclen Lo so if you're paying for your prescriptions be sure to get that.

Ummmm No, there's not. There was one the other year, but they had to stop manufacturing it because the patent is not up yet. There is, however, a generic for plain ol' Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

secret explorer posted:

I just went to Planned Parenthood today and was prescribed Ortho-Tricyclen Lo. I was wondering how common the side effects are (spotting, nausea, etc.) and how long they typically last. I'm worried about birth control making me moodier, especially since I take medication for depression.

Also, has anyone experienced decreased libido or painful intercourse while they were on Ortho-Tricyclen Lo?

I haven't, and I'd be more concerned about the continual rising cost of it than anything. It's almost doubled in price in the last 4 years. ($45 - $80 as of January) If it works for you and you're getting it cheaper, cool. Plain generic Ortho Tri-Cyclen has been giving me the same results, and it's only $9 at Walmart. It's also still considered a low dose pill despite being higher than the Lo.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

JustinMorgan posted:

I don't know if this belongs in this thread but has anyone seen this? https://novasure.com

It's just endometrial ablation, which is meant to be done after kids or deciding not to have kids as it scars your uterine lining.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

evelynevvie posted:

Tell that bitch that the side effects are too much for you, its none of her business, and if she is so unhappy about it being "wasted" that you would be more than glad to shove it up her twat when you are done with it.

That is the perfect comeback. Seriously, tell her to gently caress off if she tries poo poo again, and DEFINITELY tell a supervisor who will listen what happened. Who the gently caress is she??

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Triangulum posted:

If you never asked him, why did you originally say you couldn't get him to pay for part of it?

loving a... Shut the hell up. Maybe actually read what she's saying. She knows how much her boyfriend makes and how much he can float. Hence she really doesn't need to ask. There's nothing wrong with NOT forcing your partner to spend money they don't have, oddly enough.

Geolicious posted:

My boyfriend was very excited to hear I could get Mirena and upset I couldn't afford it. He probably would chip in if he could, but I make more than twice what he does and I can't afford it!

Geolicious posted:

This. He would totally pitch in if he could. He even helped pay for my pill when I was out of a job/insurance a while back. But both of us are having it really tight right now with my crushing student debt and him having to help with some of his mother's medical bills.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Triangulum posted:

There's nothing wrong with not asking them to help. There IS something wrong with flat out refusing to help, which is what she initially implied. I'm sorry the idea that both parties should be willing to pay for something that benefits both of them is so terribly offensive to you.

She didn't imply it. She didn't say anything either way about why he couldn't at first. You assumed he was a dick and continued to do so after she explained it. Sorry you feel the need to project your previous or current relationships onto others.

On topic: Still on Tri-Sprintec. Everything is a-ok.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Kerfuffle posted:

Varies by the lady I'm sure, but sex as actually sets it more securely in for me. And yeah $30/ring blows, most expensive birth control out there that will never get a generic. :/ But totally use the printout nuvaring coupon, I'm actually not sure how it effects sets of 3 or not, but if it does take $15 off each ring that cuts your payment in half.

There's nothing to say that NuvaRing won't ever have a generic. It most likely will. The problem is with patents. NuvaRing's first patent doesn't expire until April 2018, so there won't be one before that. This period of exclusivity is where the companies make their money, and when a patent expires, they come out with a new or slightly different pill they can patent. See: Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

The Peacock posted:

Yes, this afternoon, actually. I feel like filing a complaint, because I was already nervous enough about getting it done, and the way she spoke to me really upset me.

Most definitely file a complaint. She has no right to stick her personal opinion in and upset you over something that's none of her drat business.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

BigGayLogan posted:

I would also recommend asking your doctor to prescribe you a strong painkiller like Vicodin. Motrin's ok, but high-dose painkillers get rid of the pain almost instantly. After your appointment just take it easy for the rest of the day; most likely you'd be in too much pain to want to do anything anyway.

Please don't keep giving this advice. Painkillers aren't candy. You shouldn't be taking them if just ibuprofen will do. Your situation seemed to be different than the collective experiences here by either having a low tolerance for pain or a fear of potential pain.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Maybe I have semi-high pain tolerance from walking into poo poo all the time, or something, but based on my experience I wouldn't say a vicodin afterwards was necessary, or even anesthetic necessarily. It hurt like a bitch during the actual insertion, but after that a heating pad & ibuprofen were more than good enough. Obviously everyone's experience is different, I guess...

If anyone's on the fence, don't let the :stare: factor of having a stick put up your cervix scare you off. It's 20 minutes of discomfort (and perhaps only 5 of actual OW HEY OW) for 5 years of lighter periods and no babies.

:love:mirena:love:

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

nixar55 posted:

I'm freaking out here. I got home from my pharmacy and found Junel in my bag instead of Microgestin. I immediately called and the pharmacist (male) was super nasty and said Microgestin has been on back order since November and Junel is the same exact thing. I've never switched pills before and everything was okay on Microgestin, which I've taken for 5 years. Now I'm terrified to try a new pill and get side effects, which I didn't have before. Of course Googling the two drugs leads to all of these other forums with unhappy, acne-ridden, balding women. You guys are more measured in responses.

Has anyone had issue with back ordered pills? Will my pharmacy switch me back when the drug is back in stock? Any one else go from Microgestin to Junel? Should I ask my doc for Loestrin, even though it's more expensive? I've just never heard of this pill before ever.

Honestly, I'm in a long distance relationship and wondering if I just shouldn't stop taking birth control entirely and avoid the whole switching issue. The only benefit of the pill, aside from preventing pregnancy, is I can schedule my periods so that they don't come when he's in town.

ETA: Of course I will call my doctor about this, too. Wish it holiday weekend though.

Call any other pharmacies you can go to and see if they have it. You can take it back and get your prescription transferred. At least in IL, you'll see signs at pharmacies saying "If we are not able to provide your birth control" blah blah legally they're required to transfer it at request. If he REALLY continues acting like an rear end or refusing to do anything for you, file a complaint with the state.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Aceofblue posted:

When I used to be on the pill, my insurance changed from allowing me to pick up 3 months worth at a time to one pack at a time. When that happened, if I had to pick up a pack early, I had to call my insurance, who then had to call my pharmacy and tell them that it was okay to fill it early. That was only for vacation type-things though, and I couldn't use it to just skip the placebo and start the next pack right away since then you'd get two weeks out of cycle. It's a really awful setup. :(

(Good thing about having an IUD means you don't need to deal with that!)

Yeah, don't blame your pharmacy. It's all about what your insurance will allow. They're the ones to contact.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Candygram posted:

Any goonettes have secrets to getting blood off of sheets?

Wash immediately with cold water. Shout helps, as well.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

honeybee6 posted:

Please help!!! What did you experience, painwise, and such? What was it like in comparison to the Colp.? Did anyone have any complications as far as pregnancy? Any advice would be sooooo appreciated! I just want to get this over with, but want to make an informed decision.

THANK YOU!!!

It's not painful, just slightly uncomfortable sitting for the rest of the day. It takes about 10 minutes to do. They said I should have been awake with the anesthesia, but I was out in a twilight sleep so I don't remember it. It wasn't anything totally groggy to come out of like a proper surgery is. I was just a little sleepy for a bit then fine soon after.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Gentay posted:

During the first 1.5 years I (insurance was blue cross blue shield) would pay $80.00 for a 3 month supply. Then in the second year, I only paid $50.00 for a 3 month supply. The last half of the year my family changed insurances to Etna (the pharmacy never asked so I never thought to tell them of the change). Today I picked up my 3 month supply and I paid $0.00. I asked the clerk if she knew anything and her only suggestion was maybe I hit my deductible.

Has anyone else ever had weird pricing amounts with their prescriptions or any thoughts as to why I paid nothing? I know the president made the change saying that birth control will be covered by insurance but I thought that only covered generics. Thanks for any adivce.

First off, insurances are dumb with prices. I have literally billed something an hour later and had the price change by hundreds of dollars. So going from $80 to $50 one year isn't unusual at all. Regardless of your family's change to Aetna, if you or your parents did not give the pharmacy new information, then your pharmacy billed the previous coverage which apparently is still active. On occasion the pharmacy can get new info if the company has not changed, but in most cases they would have given you a call to say we need updated info. In addition to all this, just because your medical insurance is BCBS, Aetna, Humana, etc. does not mean that's what your prescription coverage is.

But anyway, your family is probably one of the many whose plans renew on January 1st and the Affordable Health Care Act was added to your plan.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Those quotes kind of crack me up. Birth control always has different colored pills for placebo weeks, in the case of Alysena 3 weeks of pink pills then 1 week of white pills. If you've been taking it for awhile, how the gently caress do you not notice 2 weeks of white pills and think "well nothing's different I'll keep taking them"?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Niemat posted:

Is it a big deal to miss a month of your pills....? Like, I understand we won't be protected, and I'll have to build up again, but is it a big deal other than that? Like, hormonally or otherwise? We just moved, and I can't for the life of me find this month's pills--despite some extensive searching. I'm moving into my finals this week, so I don't want to gently caress around too much doing outside activities, and it would take me 20-30 mins of driving one way to get another set of pills for this month (plus, all the "your insurance won't pay for this, blah blah blah" I'm bound to get from the people at the pharmacy). I'm already a week behind, so I figured I'd just sit this month out and get back on target next month, provided that's not a terrible plan.... :( Is it?

If you have refills on a medication like this, the pharmacy can call your insurance to see if a lost medication override is available with your plan. Usually plans allow something like 2 a year or 2 per medication per year. You do always have to be prepared to pay out of pocket, though. It's just a matter of personal responsibility.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Squidtamer DA posted:

So after taking Tri-Sprintec for 5 years without any issues, my doctor just randomly switched me to Tri-Privifem, which is apparently another generic brand. I think I took it once before when the pharmacy ran out and it was fine, but I'll be fine, right? I mean, they both have the same active ingredients. I've never switched birth controls before so I'm stupidly paranoid I'll suddenly get migraines and become a crazy bitch. :ohdear:

Was this a refill prescription or did your doctor actively write on an Rx blank Tri-Previfem? If it's a refill, then the pharmacy switched you. If your doctor wrote Ortho Tri-Cyclen and allowed substitution, then the pharmacy's system automatically picked the preferred generic drug, which for some reason switched to Tri-Previfem in my pharmacy chain. Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, and Tri-Previfem are all the same drug. Your pharmacy can change you back to Tri-Sprintec if you want, though. They just have to make sure to order it or keep it in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Kimmalah posted:

Looking at the official website, it looks like your problem may be because Loestrin Fe 24 is no longer being manufactured. They recommend a new pill called Minastrin that's supposed to be basically the same as the Loestrin.. They also offer a patient savings card for it that might help you out.

Yes, Loestrin 24 Fe was discontinued a couple weeks ago. Their patent expires next year. Minastrin isn't a generic. It's just the same thing in a chewable so they can continue making loads of money. Seriously, they didn't change the packaging or font. Unfortunately, because it's chewable instead of a plain tablet pharmacy folk have to contact the doctors to ok the change. Call around to other pharmacies to see if they have it stocked & page her doctor to have it called in if necessary. Any good pharmacy that keeps up on products should have it.

• Locked thread