Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Love this :sun:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Larry, nine weeks-old

Dolph, ten weeks-old

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm particularly blessed with a dog that is easy to photograph:

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Slotducks posted:

I'm particularly blessed with a dog that is easy to photograph:

What a Good Boy.

I'm blessed with a dog who won't usually stay still or make eye contact with the camera, but occasionally I get something...

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Love those two shots. I like the half face ones a lot.

I went out and got more photos of ours. She's a natural poser

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ric posted:

Larry, nine weeks-old

More Larry.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I never posted these here!
These are Beebo and Jones! Cats of my Sister-in-law in a little mini Thanksgiving shoot (Truly an excuse to practice flash and avoid the inlaws)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I hope this is an okay place to ask, but I don't really have an eye for image editing beyond shitposting and whatnot.

Trigger warning: Pet death (don't worry, old age and she had a happy retirement in Florida.)

Unfortunately, my family's cat passed away earlier this year at nearly 20 years of age. I'm looking through old photos trying to find a good one for a photo frame as a Christmas gift for my mom (yeah, I'm a little late, but I have the frame I just need to get the photo printed!)

Anyways, I think I've settled on the photo I want to print, but I'm a bit worried about the photo I've landed on, as it's a gray cat against a gray carpet. My main question is, is there anything I should do to touch up the photo before having it printed? I mean beyond cropping and whatnot. It's just gonna be a simple 4x6 photo in a frame.

Here's the photo on which I landed:

I know it's not the highest resolution photo, but unfortunately I had to take what I could get when it comes to available photos; for the past 8 years or so she's been across the country from me so I have to make do with what I could scrape from texts/WhatsApp.

e: Also, I just want to say, I'm not trying to beg for free photo touchups or anything, just looking for advice. That being said, if someone were to touch it up, I would be more than happy to provide a forums upgrade and/or a donation to your local humane society in return.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 23, 2023

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I would just bring down the light and saturation on the background a bit and slightly shift the color temp to separate it from the cat. Then some basic lighting/color adjustments. My 5 minute edit:

Optional AI upscale depending on how you feel about that kind of thing:

Adjust color/saturation as desired; you know better than me what the cat actually looks like

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Consider adding a white or black gradient frame, to further de-emphasize the background:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thank you to you both! I ended up going with Toro's version since I woke up late and had to get it printed today. Don't worry though, karma caught up with me and my 6AM flight tomorrow was cancelled and rebooked for 6PM.

Also, Nielsm, your suggestion was good but did inadvertently made me laugh because I initially thought it was a joke suggestion of "Consider adding a white gradient frame, to really sell that your cat is in heaven."

Anyways, I'll make a donation to whichever humane society or other charity you'd like, both of you! Thanks again.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

not necessary, merry christmas!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

All taken with a Nikon Z7II / 85mm f/1.8 S / SB800 flash at -2EV bounced off the ceiling.

Cats be catting :sun:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I just got a very gently/barely used Canon M50 as a gift (my first camera that isn't my phone, although I've used a friend's Nikon D3500 a decent amount in the past) and I got this shot while I was experimenting with/learning the manual shutter/aperture/focus controls:

...and then this is the outcome of my first ~2 hours of messing around in a free trial of Lightroom Classic:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
That is one extremely photogenic cat

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

QuasiQuack posted:

That is one extremely photogenic cat

:emptyquote:

PerpetualNeophyte
Jun 15, 2023

Semper non Ruabimus
Our girlfriend's cat, Oliver, is a challenging model with his dark fur. Hope it's ok to post this here? We shot it with a 40 year old Soviet Индустар-61 Л/З lens adapted to a Canon Rebel T2i; a lot of our work over the last couple of years has been with old manual glass on modern-ish cameras. It's helped ease our transition to digital photography, though we're still learning.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

PerpetualNeophyte posted:

Our girlfriend's cat, Oliver, is a challenging model with his dark fur. Hope it's ok to post this here? We shot it with a 40 year old Soviet Индустар-61 Л/З lens adapted to a Canon Rebel T2i; a lot of our work over the last couple of years has been with old manual glass on modern-ish cameras. It's helped ease our transition to digital photography, though we're still learning.

I like this photo! Good job!~

The time to post cat photos is nyyyyyow.

PerpetualNeophyte
Jun 15, 2023

Semper non Ruabimus

Slotducks posted:

The time to post cat photos is nyyyyyow.

Oooh, the fangs are SO CUTE! She looks so comfy lol

Are we allowed to post non-cat pets? This was Peaches. We really miss being able to have chickens :(

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Lost our sweet girl of 18 years this week so here's some of my favorite photos to celebrate all the great times with her. Keep taking pics of your pets, they definitely help a lot in the process of losing them.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My condolences, looks like she led a great life

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

New lens tests mean photographing the closest pets

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

I believe you have my cat, sir.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Is yours also outwardly verbally abusive?

(that's a really nice photo)

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Slotducks posted:

Is yours also outwardly verbally abusive?

(that's a really nice photo)

Yep, she's a talker and a head-butter...

Thanks, yours are great, too, love the first one of the dog in particular. What was the new lens you were testing? The close focus distance looks impressive.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

p0stal b0b posted:

Yep, she's a talker and a head-butter...

Thanks, yours are great, too, love the first one of the dog in particular. What was the new lens you were testing? The close focus distance looks impressive.

Thanks! It's the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's a killer lens, easily the best APSC specific lens I've ever used. Mine basically stays glued to my R7.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

The recent cold snap was bad enough on the Colorado front range that we had to bring our chickens inside so they didn't freeze to death. Here they are being very cute.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 3, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

The recent cold snap was bad enough on the Colorado front range that we had to bring our chickens inside so they didn't freeze to death. Here they are being very cute.

I adore this shot - it's so lovely.

Had some fun natural lighting in the afternoon today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

I adore this shot - it's so lovely.

agreed, your chickens are great and those are very cozy photos of them