Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpusD
Sep 7, 2003

I weep for the motherland.
I'm looking for a computer chair in the $200-300 price range that has a headrest so I can properly be lazy while gaming. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't have much availability on craig's list so I'll probably have to buy something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with stool or other sort of backless chair? I remember seeing a chair a while back that looked neat, a stool with a flexible seatpost, but I can't at all remember what it was.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Kolodny posted:

Does anyone have any experience with stool or other sort of backless chair? I remember seeing a chair a while back that looked neat, a stool with a flexible seatpost, but I can't at all remember what it was.

I wouldn't get a stool (in the barstool sense) because there's nothing to maintain good posture; have you thought about a kneeling-chair instead?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Kolodny posted:

Were you referring to this posted on the last page?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/01/wigli-stool-has-your-back/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With this is mind:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How big are Aerons? Are they made for goons?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
They do three sizes and have a sizing chart for height and weight.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope
Does anyone here have experience with these:

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Caster-Wheels-carpet-Replaces/dp/B001H96YRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1302989078&sr=1-1

I'm sick of lovely chair-mats that cost $70+ and need to be replaced every 3-5 years. The carpet in my home office is pretty much office carpet, not plush and pretty much no padding... think these will work instead of a new mat?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've used the Verksam chair from IKEA for a bit over a year now, and I'm very happy with it. I spend a lot of time at my computer at home, sometimes 10 hours per day gaming during weekends, and my back and arms are feeling great. I used to have armrests mounted, but I decided I didn't really need them, they just get in the way of the table. It's firm - very firm, so might take a little while to get used to, but it softens up a bit over time. It can be adjusted in lots of ways. It's pretty much the best IKEA has to offer, and feels very solid.

I cringe when I think back at how I for years used one of those awful big cushy fake black leather chairs from a warehouse.

Oh, and one thing I want to mention two more things:

1) VARIATION is key when it comes to ergonomics. If you can, try to avoid using the same chair, keyboard, mouse and desk at both work and at home.

2) Get a good desk. I can't say this enough. It should have a thin plate so you can get your legs under it, and a "hole" for your body, so you can slide in and rest your entire lower arms on the desk as you use the mouse.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BabyRyoga posted:

- Metal arm rests? I have had a cheap leather chair from Office Depot in the past that have had the plastic arms eventually break off. It might have just been the chair itself, but if metal covered with faux leather or fabric doesn't add much to the price

I had this same problem. I was able to find some generic replacement arms online for around 30 bucks + shipping.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
I followed this thread for a while but a lot of the chairs people have recommended seemed far beyond my measly budget so I settled for this:

chair

and after putting it together (who designed this thing? One of the backrest screws can't even be inserted, and one of the seat screws simply stopped going any further into the hole and won't unscrew either now) I'm in two minds.

Someone in this thread mentioned the hot-under-the-thighs feeling and I'm getting that with this chair, is it possible to adjust it somehow to avoid that feeling?

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

I'm debating jumping on an Aeron that is listed in my area on craigslist for $450. It looks like the guy gives really vague info but did the listing in a nearby city a couple weeks before which was super detailed. Same picture. It's sorta fishy but I'm hoping I can snag a deal. Is there anything authentic about the Aeron that I could have him show me that would prove its authenticity?

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Irish Thunder posted:

Is there anything authentic about the Aeron that I could have him show me that would prove its authenticity?

I would probably say the warranty. All HM Aerons have a warranty label with a factory creation date underneath the seat (not the chair seat, but at the base). I'm not sure how hard it would be to fake a label, but the real deal has a phone number to Herman Miller's hotline and a serial number I'm pretty sure you can use to check if the thing is real or not. (Disclaimer: I have not actually called to see if they check)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Costco sells two Herman Miller Chairs right now:

TaskPointe $329 http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11603373&whse=BC
Equa XR $379 for large http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11300625

Any experiences/thoughts with these near-luxury chairs?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Factory Factory posted:

They do three sizes and have a sizing chart for height and weight.

According to that chart I should have gotten a Size C (I'm just under 6 feet tall) but I'm perfectly comfortable in my Size B with plenty of room to spare (when I raise the chair to its maximum height my feet are a good few inches off the floor).

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
Having now sat on my Herman-Miller Aeron (Polished alu frame and linkage, leather adjustable armrests, posturefit) for a good 4 months now, I'm beginning to think the chair isn't worth the £900 I paid for it.

It is still a good chair: the reciling action is great, and the stretched fabric makes for a great seat, but I frequently find myself slouching and sliding towards the front of the seat, and the back isn't as big as it could be (so the hard plastic rim along the back ends up being lent on by my shoulder-blades).

It would be great if the back was taller, maybe with a head-rest too and if there was more of a 'dip' where the buttocks rest to prevent forward sliding.

Also, when my chair is upright I can feel some looseness in the base (I can rock the chair around this pivot) but as soon as I recline the looseness is gone, probably from the lateral forces applied to the cylinder.

Has anyone else felt the same way about their Aerons?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone know of a good computer chair with arms for under $100? I have this cheap mesh one but I kind of leaned on the arm too much and it literally ripped itself off from the bottom plate (like I think the metal where the soldier was connected to snapped), and the screws holding the armrests in keep getting loose and I can't really lean back in it much.

I just need something for home to be comfy in. Sometimes I like to sit indian style in my chair too which isn't quite wide enough for this.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

Hoborg posted:

Has anyone else felt the same way about their Aerons?

I've owned both a Mirra and an Aeron. I felt that the build quality of the Mirra was much better than the Aeron, but the Mirra was so uncomfortable I had to return it. The Aeron is also uncomfortable and I'll be replacing it with something else soon, probably a HON 7800. The Aeron definitely wasn't worth the money. Some people swear by them, but it doesn't work for me.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug
Does anyone have an opinion on the HON Ignition chair? I generally like to work tilted back, and it seems to have a decent tilt setup.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the HON Ignition chair? I generally like to work tilted back, and it seems to have a decent tilt setup.
We've got the high back, fixed arm, fixed recline version of these as conference room chairs and they are quite nice for the price. The fixed arms do seem to dig into the upholstery on the back, however.

I'm thinking of picking up a fully upholstered and chromed HON Ceres to replace my aging Aeron.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2011

rocket
Aug 16, 2002

LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLADIES!

Most office chairs like what you see at Office Depot are horrible for you, and cut off the circulation in your legs.

Actually this is literally a sore subject for me. I had a cheap but comfortable chair that just wore out. I didn't notice until it was too late that this gave me a pinched nerve, actually sciatica, or Pseudosciatica that's had me in constant pain for the last month, apparently caused by Piriformis syndrome.

I think it's just temporary though. I changed my chair, and spend less hours in front of the computer, and I'm not in constant pain any more, though I am taking some pretty heavy duty pain killers, and I can barely move when I get out of bed in the morning.

Actually a friend of mine suggested using a Doctor's or Dentist's stool.
http://www.posturedontics.com/seating_review.php

For Herman Miller chairs and Aeron there are charity stores that accept used office furniture and the money they make goes to charity.

a local place in Kansas City is http://www.surplusexchange.org/

There's also office furniture liquidators, like Ros Office and Resources of KC

Oh here's something, it's like Craigs's List for office furniture:
http://www.furniturefinders.com

rocket fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 21, 2011

every
Apr 24, 2008

edit: I should probably just read the thread.

every fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 24, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm 6'7" and ~300 lbs with a 32" inseam (big frame, wide shoulders, mild gut). Herman Miller's graph doesn't address me in either axis. My work chair is probably a B on that chart and it's killing me to spend 9 hours a day in it. I started this job a month ago and my joints are in noticeably worse shape already. If I stand up quickly without thinking, the armrests get caught on my pelvis. :smithicide:

Tell me about comfortable chairs made for tall men.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Splizwarf posted:

I'm 6'7" and ~300 lbs with a 32" inseam (big frame, wide shoulders, mild gut). Herman Miller's graph doesn't address me in either axis. My work chair is probably a B on that chart and it's killing me to spend 9 hours a day in it. I started this job a month ago and my joints are in noticeably worse shape already. If I stand up quickly without thinking, the armrests get caught on my pelvis. :smithicide:

Holy poo poo are you Paul Bunyan?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anyone have an opinion on the Steelcase Think? I can get one for a pretty decent price (£90) and am 99% sure it's worth that sort of cash, but want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Caged posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Steelcase Think? I can get one for a pretty decent price (£90) and am 99% sure it's worth that sort of cash, but want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake.

I've got one at work and I find it to be a fantastic chair; so much, in fact, that I'm going to buy one for home. That's an incredible price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks. Ended up buying 2 for £80 each (one for home, one for work), collecting later in the week.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

You are huge and should have a huge chair. If you're referring to the Herman Miller size chart you should definitely be in a C. If you're having issues like that after one month in a new job, go to HR and tell them you need a bigger chair, man :(

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

rocket posted:

Most office chairs like what you see at Office Depot are horrible for you, and cut off the circulation in your legs.

Actually this is literally a sore subject for me. I had a cheap but comfortable chair that just wore out. I didn't notice until it was too late that this gave me a pinched nerve, actually sciatica, or Pseudosciatica that's had me in constant pain for the last month, apparently caused by Piriformis syndrome.

I think it's just temporary though. I changed my chair, and spend less hours in front of the computer, and I'm not in constant pain any more, though I am taking some pretty heavy duty pain killers, and I can barely move when I get out of bed in the morning.

Actually a friend of mine suggested using a Doctor's or Dentist's stool.
http://www.posturedontics.com/seating_review.php

For Herman Miller chairs and Aeron there are charity stores that accept used office furniture and the money they make goes to charity.

a local place in Kansas City is http://www.surplusexchange.org/

There's also office furniture liquidators, like Ros Office and Resources of KC

Oh here's something, it's like Craigs's List for office furniture:
http://www.furniturefinders.com

Quoting this because drat how I feel your pain. I've got the same nerve problems with my right leg from sitting in a Mirra for a few months. I've since gone back to this weird little purple chair that has been good for me for years at work.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Offices by default stock Aeron Size B's. You have a B. Ask for a C.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
We don't have an HR department and if I want a new chair I've got to buy it for myself; it's why I'm after some advice on it before I go in. Since it's my own nickel, I can get anything I can find the money for. This week I'm getting shin splints and my knees really ache. Other than that my job's great.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You don't need an HR department to have a workplace that doesn't make you ill or injure you. If your chair is causing you to be in physical pain then your employer has to sort it out. It might be easier to sort it yourself but I can't see why you should have to pay for it.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

We don't have an HR department and if I want a new chair I've got to buy it for myself;

That's bullshit. Are you working in an Indian sweatshop?

sizerp
Dec 3, 2003
t3h pwn
The Leap is standard issue at my office, though there are a few legacy Aerons that mysteriously migrate around the floors if people quit/leave/other.

I like the Leap but love the Aeron - at home I use some kind of boutique Leap knockoff from a local furniture manufacturer - not bad but not quite up to standards. I need to get a contract that allows me to work from home for awhile so I can justify something high end at home.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I bought a Staples brand "High Black Mesh Chair". I was looking for Aeron ripoffs and this seemed like by far the closest thing, $350 before a 50% rebate was about as much as I was willing to spend. It's really heavy duty compared to other crap generic chairs and it doesn't feel overly cheap, both sides are mesh and there's lumbar support and a (mesh) headrest. The mesh is definitely way more comfortable over long periods but it takes some getting used to. I guess I'll have to see how it holds up over time.

It's not on the Staples website, for whatever reason, but I saw plenty of boxes at the store.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I've had the Herman Miller SAYL chair for a month and like it a lot so far. I prefer a slightly stiffer chair to a cushy chair, and I think the SAYL is perfect (also cheap). I'm also very short though so I'm not sure how giant goons will fit in it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Splizwarf posted:

We don't have an HR department and if I want a new chair I've got to buy it for myself; it's why I'm after some advice on it before I go in. Since it's my own nickel, I can get anything I can find the money for. This week I'm getting shin splints and my knees really ache. Other than that my job's great.

I'm 6'5 so I feel your pain, though obviously not as much. Big and tall is a recognized term within the industry (e.g. http://www.cymaxoffice.com/Office-Chairs-Big-Tall--C0.htm), so you should be able to search along those terms. I'm currently using the second one there (the 'OFM Big and Tall Leather Chair') and it's pretty good. I like how the arm rests are unobtrusive because I had the same problem you did with hitting them on the way up/down, and I also like the big backrest. It seems you can never get upper back support on a chair if you're over 6'. I should point out though, that I sit in the chair totally wrong; I am usually slouched way down so my upper back is supported, because in a 'big and tall' chair if I'm sitting completely upright the top of the backrest is still below my shoulders.

PS-I wouldn't advise buying a chair online like that site, especially in your situation. It's just meant to give you an idea what's out there and what price.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I am currently sitting on one of those terrible plastic Ikea chairs (the kind where you buy the bottom separately [wheels or no wheels]). I bought it because my girlfriend uses one of the wheeled versions and didn't want me to ruin our vibe with some kind of goon throne.

This thread makes me depressed because the message I'm picking up is that you can't really get a chair worth a drat unless you're willing to spend some serious money. Just so we're clear, I'm considering a few hundred dollars serious money. My opinion is skewed by my current financial situation -- I recognize that it makes sense that a chair, like a mattress, isn't something you want to skimp on.

That being said, I am still in this loving Ikea seat (the Snille). With that in mind, does anyone know of any sub-$100 chairs? I know that these chairs suck in the long term, but I'm more worried about the thing I'm currently sitting on. I'm looking for an immediate improvement on my current situation and not necessarily the chair I'll be using for the rest of my life.

Anything is better than my current poo poo.

Help. :(

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

You could check these out I guess:
http://www.buzzillions.com/office-chair-reviews?N=29

Buzzillions/PowerReviews is the site behind all those user reviews on ecommerce sites. The link I provided is for the $50-$75 range, but there's some cruft in there (stools, tables, etc.) There's a $75-$100 range too:
http://www.buzzillions.com/office-chair-reviews?N=30

Obviously none of these are 'triple-a' brands (e.g. steelcase/herman miller) but BOSS/Norstar/Office Star (all the same company) have been around for decades.

Would avoid the 'store' brands (e.g. staples) since they're usually just generi-china product #113121.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Thanks for the link. I'll check those out. Anything that's not what I have is a step in the right direction for now.