Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

If you can sit in it and function test it before you buy, then I wouldn't shy away from CL chairs. Last night I picked up 2 Herman Miller Mirra chairs for $300. Now my home office and front room have computer chairs as durable and comfortable as the ones at work. I lucked out big time, as this was easily $1400 worth of chairs.

Wait, you got 2 for $300 total?! What is CL Chairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

every posted:

Wait, you got 2 for $300 total?! What is CL Chairs?

craigslist I'm guessing

every
Apr 24, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

craigslist I'm guessing

:doh:

Edit: What is a "good price" for a Herman Miller Aeron / Mirra chair on Craigslist? I'm seeing a lot of Aerons on there for ~$450...I'm assuming that's pretty good?

every fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 21, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

every posted:

:doh:

Edit: What is a "good price" for a Herman Miller Aeron / Mirra chair on Craigslist? I'm seeing a lot of Aerons on there for ~$450...I'm assuming that's pretty good?
Yeah, 400-500 are about average for Aeron's on CL since they retail for $800 for the most basic model and no frills.

every
Apr 24, 2008

I found a brand-new fully-loaded Mirra for $450 on Craigslist. Had to jump on it.

So worth it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've had a Mirra for many years now. I love the chair but I'm wondering if there is a big difference in it and the Aeron. Part of me would like a softer back but I'm not sure it'd be noticeable. Anyone have experience with both? I figure I could still get a few hundred for the chair on CL and pick up an Aeron with the difference.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Staples has a bunch of office chairs for half off tomorrow. Anyone own any of these or have any opinions? Not looking for anything too crazy, probably about $100 or less.

http://www.staples.com/cat_BI213242

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Staples has a bunch of office chairs for half off tomorrow. Anyone own any of these or have any opinions? Not looking for anything too crazy, probably about $100 or less.

Your rear end will probably hate you.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Do you want a chair you'll be using for more than an hour or two a day?

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
Hot drat, one of our clients is a Herman Miller partner.

$100 for 2 Mirra Chairs

I then quickly found out that they got them for about $30 each since the order was for a few hundred chairs.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Farts posted:

$100 for 2 Mirra Chairs

I then quickly found out that they got them for about $30 each since the order was for a few hundred chairs.

If all you need to order is a few hundred chairs to get them for $30 each we should get a group buy going.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Twiin posted:

If all you need to order is a few hundred chairs to get them for $30 each we should get a group buy going.

No poo poo, that's an amazing deal.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Twiin posted:

I'm down.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Farts posted:

$100 for 2 Mirra Chairs

Clearly you need to get us a contact.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Which of the Herman Miller chairs do you guys think is the most ergonomic? And are they at all comfy?
I live in Germany and dont know any chance to try them out and sit in them.

And do you really get a new Aeron for like 600$ in the USA? Here you need to pay atleast 1400$ for the basic Aeron.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

johnnyXcrane posted:

Which of the Herman Miller chairs do you guys think is the most ergonomic? And are they at all comfy?
I live in Germany and dont know any chance to try them out and sit in them.

And do you really get a new Aeron for like 600$ in the USA? Here you need to pay atleast 1400$ for the basic Aeron.
Brand new base-model Aeron costs $869 here, though they're having a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale and you could pick one up for $738.65

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Do you want a chair you'll be using for more than an hour or two a day?

I would probably use it even less than that.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
If you had 1K to spend on a chair, what would it be? It seems like $800 or so is where you stop getting any more comfort or practical benefit and start paying for goofy faux-art bullshit.

Right now a Humanscale Freedom is what I'm looking at.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
I have a Herman Miller Embody and it is wonderful. I got a great deal during the Herman Miller bi-annual sale and its super comfy. I prefer it over the Aeron models I tried.

DeadFalling
Nov 11, 2007
Bringer of Woe
I've got a $230 gift card for OfficeMax, and I'm in need of a new chair. However, after going in-store and then online I still couldn't find any chairs that looked that great... Help?

This is the best I could find, but still doesn't seem very good..
http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/chairs/product-prod3660083?history=b4zh8d0b

EDIT: I'm not looking for a gigantic high back chair. I always end up curled up/slouched over with my neck craned in those. I want whatever helps my neck + back the most (so I guess the most ergonomic/adjustable)
This is what I have right now and it's too big http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/chairs/product-prod2480004?history=75qp4icy

DeadFalling fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 2, 2011

BathroomTile
Jun 4, 2005

Just your run-of-the-mill bathroom tile.

Mega Boris posted:

I have a Herman Miller Embody and it is wonderful. I got a great deal during the Herman Miller bi-annual sale and its super comfy. I prefer it over the Aeron models I tried.

When are these bi-annual sales?

DeadFalling
Nov 11, 2007
Bringer of Woe
OK, I'm just going to sell the OfficeMax giftcard and buy a chair online.

My budget is under $300

http://www.sitbetter.com/view/chair/efs-mm4533m/ergofast--milan-ultra-mesh-mid-back-intensive-task-chair-with-seat-slider/

http://www.sitbetter.com/view/chair/ost-43891/office-star--ergonomic-multi-function-mid-back-office-task-chair-with-seat-slider/#panels

Any opinions on those two?

DeadFalling fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 15, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Going to a Herman Miller showroom at lunch to check out some seats, specifically Embody, Mira and Sayl. They don't sell to individuals, but they are happy to let me to test drive some so I can order from a reseller (nearby store sells them and offers free delivery, but doesn't have these on hand to try out). I'm excited, and then I want to cry because of the prices and then the prices + options. With random telecommuting and side work, I'm going to ask my accountant if I can claim it as a business expense though, which would be swell.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Aphasian posted:

Going to a Herman Miller showroom at lunch to check out some seats, specifically Embody, Mira and Sayl. They don't sell to individuals, but they are happy to let me to test drive some so I can order from a reseller (nearby store sells them and offers free delivery, but doesn't have these on hand to try out). I'm excited, and then I want to cry because of the prices and then the prices + options. With random telecommuting and side work, I'm going to ask my accountant if I can claim it as a business expense though, which would be swell.
Yeah, that's the dilemma with office chairs. Most manufacturers (like the one I work for) don't sell direct, so you have to go through resellers who often aren't interested in selling to individuals, since they make their real money through selling to large companies who order hundreds of chairs at a time. So you have to do the legwork of picking out the right chair yourself, and often even if you find a chair that's comfortable, you might be messing yourself up ergonomically without knowing it, or overpaying by a huge margin. This is why companies employ ergonomists, and you're expected to do that on your own? It's asking a bit much of someone with no expertise.

That said, the Embody is an amazing chair - but you'll pay a lot for it. Same with the Mirra, it's drat good, although not really unique. The Sayl is nothing special, it's really just made to hit a certain price point, not to address any ergonomic issues - I'd avoid it. And while many people swear by their Aerons, they're very ergonomically out of date.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, that's the dilemma with office chairs. Most manufacturers (like the one I work for) don't sell direct, so you have to go through resellers who often aren't interested in selling to individuals, since they make their real money through selling to large companies who order hundreds of chairs at a time. So you have to do the legwork of picking out the right chair yourself, and often even if you find a chair that's comfortable, you might be messing yourself up ergonomically without knowing it, or overpaying by a huge margin. This is why companies employ ergonomists, and you're expected to do that on your own? It's asking a bit much of someone with no expertise.

That said, the Embody is an amazing chair - but you'll pay a lot for it. Same with the Mirra, it's drat good, although not really unique. The Sayl is nothing special, it's really just made to hit a certain price point, not to address any ergonomic issues - I'd avoid it. And while many people swear by their Aerons, they're very ergonomically out of date.

The showroom is generally for corporate people, but they let me come in and it was amazing. The sales team was all out, so I had a floor of an office building to myself and two front desk people, one of which showed me around. He was super nice and helpful, and since there was no commission on the line (no sale either, since they don't sell one chair at a time) I felt no pressure and he was informative without up-selling.

Yeah, the Embody was pretty sweet. One thing that's good/bad is that, while the other ones start (relatively) cheap, all the adjustments beyond tilt tension and height are optional and extra. With the Embody, all adjustments are included; the only options are arms/no arms, fabric and finish (largely aesthetic). While I don't think a loaded Mira would cost as much as an Embody, with the latter I'd be less likely to forgo something I see as extraneous only to wish I had it a week/month/year from now.

Because it was an actual Herman Miller office, they had everything, including an electric height adjustable desk that goes from sitting to standing in seconds with the push of a button that I want very much but didn't even ask how much that costs. I also got to try out the iconic Eames lounger (sweet jesus, If I was forced to have sex with furniture by some kind of perverse evil mastermind, I'd pick that chair).

Surprisingly, the best thing I sat on (for a minute, probably wouldn't stand up to the hours I spend at my desk) was the Eames Molded Plywood lounger. It's a solid bit of wood that looks nice but not comfortable, but as soon as I sat on it it was like they snuck into my house and made a mold of my rear end. I have never sat in anything that felt so right, and there were no adjustments to make. ~$530 for some simple bits of wood seems insane, especially when compared to some excellent $300 fancy desk chairs from other brands, but I'd hazard to say it's worth it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Aphasian posted:

Eames Molded Plywood lounger

Wait wait wait, this thing?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I sit in a recliner half the time, can't get much more comfortable than that.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Moey posted:

Wait wait wait, this thing?

Yeah, super comfortable. I'm not considering it as a desk chair, mind, even the "kitchen table height" on. It was awesome for five minutes, but I need to spin and roll about and recline at my computer.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

Because it was an actual Herman Miller office, they had everything, including an electric height adjustable desk that goes from sitting to standing in seconds with the push of a button that I want very much but didn't even ask how much that costs. I also got to try out the iconic Eames lounger (sweet jesus, If I was forced to have sex with furniture by some kind of perverse evil mastermind, I'd pick that chair).
You'd be better off with an LC4.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

evil_bunnY posted:

You'd be better off with an LC4.

If I'm gonna gently caress a chair, I want one with more padding. For sitting though, that's pretty sweet looking.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Aeron Chair with PostureFit or lumbar support?
The lumbar thingy just looks like a huge plastic box, is it at all useful?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

I sit in a recliner half the time, can't get much more comfortable than that.
Be really careful using a recliner or sofa when working on a computer/laptop - as tempting as it sounds, it's a surefire way to give yourself RSI because of the way it pulls you away from the work surface and forces you to extend your arms. At the very least, change positions often - if you have a laptop, try working at a different area of the house every few hours, like standing at a kitchen counter, sitting at a traditional office desk/chair, etc. And if you need to do some serious typing on a long email or anything, for sure don't do it from a recliner.

The Aphasian posted:

While I don't think a loaded Mira would cost as much as an Embody, with the latter I'd be less likely to forgo something I see as extraneous only to wish I had it a week/month/year from now.
None of the extra adjustments are extraneous. They're vital to fitting a chair to you. Whatever you do, get a chair that has these:

Seat height adjustment
Seat depth adjustment (seat slider)
Back height adjustment (adjusts the position of the lumbar)
Back angle adjustment
Seat angle adjustment (independent of the back angle)
(Optional) Lumbar strength adjustment

Don't settle for anything less.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 17, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

For sitting though, that's pretty sweet looking.
It's pretty sweet for loving too, just not the chair.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Any recommendations for chairs without leather or cloth? I have been replacing my chairs like once a year(cheap ones) because my bitch cat scratches anything made of leather/cloth.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bought my Embody, titanium finish, white frame, dark brown fabric. Now I have to wait for it to be delivered.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got a costco generic task chair for my birthday from my parents who didn't know any better but meant well anyway. Not a bad chair, all said and done. It's no Aeron but it's better than the $40 IKEA piece of poo poo I was sitting on before and doesn't feel like my rear end is riding plywood.

My question: I am using this on a hardwood floor. It came with casters for a carpeted floor which I assume I should replace with some hard-floor casters. Are caster fittings pretty much universal or do I need to find casters specifically for this model of chair (lol good luck)?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They're just about universal: peg sticking up with an indent in it to catch a retaining ring/ball in the chair foot.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!

The Aphasian posted:

Bought my Embody, titanium finish, white frame, dark brown fabric. Now I have to wait for it to be delivered.

Welcome to the club!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Can anyone recommend a small, $300 (or less)-ish chair that could fit better in this space than my current one?

Thing is too big for my room :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Turns out I should have listened to myself and everyone else and done... I don't know, something. Should I have just quit?

I still can't afford a decent chair and work's still not buying anyone anything special, but I have a slipped disc now; please advise.