Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Coredump posted:

I've been intrigued by this chair for a while now. Does anyone have one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8vgHp3Cgs

I was interested in those when I was looking for a chair, but nobody anywhere has ever heard of them. I searched long and hard but never found a review or an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I was first looking for a nice chair one of the ones I considered was a Humanscale Freedom, but I wasn't able to try one out at the time so I went with a Mirra instead. Now I've managed to try one I really want one, however when I was trying it I didn't find a way to raise or lower the arms - does anyone know if one can do that?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Zorak posted:

Pardon me if this has been asked recently, but what's considered the best option for bargain-priced chairs in the ~$100 range? Obviously you're very limited in the quality you can get, but surely there's some leaders in the bargain market.

I am not sure how the prices compare to the UK, but since we are 'ripoff Britain' and I see used Humanscale Freedoms (no headreast) on ebay for £125 perhaps you might find one within your price range?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've moved house and my home office now has quite thick carpet. I love it, but it's presented me with two problems - first of all it's quite hard to move my chair, the casters don't turn easily. Secondly, I have noticed that within a month of being here, it's started to damage the carpet, with fibres being pulled out.

What's my best option for making this usable whilst still retaining a carpet feel? I have bought a flatwoven rug which will stop the damage, but honestly it's no easier to move the chair and it seems to be making the rug kink already. I don't want a smooth hard surface really - I've missed having carpet.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Vegastar posted:

You could also try the roller blade style casters instead, might help. You can get a set that’ll fit just about any office chair that isn’t IKEA from Amazon for 30-40 bucks.

This was actually what I tried first - whilst they do roll okay, they're actually way worse than the regular double wheel plastic casters it came with when it comes to them turning. I think it's these which have been causing the damage when I've tried to move the chair in a direction that has required the rollerblade caster to swivel and it's pulled at the fibres.

Whilst I appreciate a hard mat is going to be the best option I'm just not ready to give up the feel of carpet under my feet - it's been years that I've been missing it so I figure I'll just go that route if/when it gets damaged enough.