Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
How do so many people find the Steelcase Leap so comfortable? I've had mine for 3 years (since I started), and I've never been able to adjust it to where I was comfortable.

Also, the padding on the seat is practically nonexistant anymore. Hopefully I get my adjustable desk at work soon so I don't really have to worry about it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Does anyone have this chair? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20178865/

Pondering it, but if I end up building a standing desk for home, maybe not.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Any desk should be fine, just make sure the height is right for you. If something is off you can correct it with a combination of a monitor stand, footrest, keyboard tray, etc. until you get it right.

As far as the keyboard tray, larger ones are available, but they are EXPENSIVE. I'd suggest a compact keyboard - this is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CJH6Y6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

If you really need the numpad, you can buy a separate USB one and put that on your desk.

Actually I'd recommend EVERYONE look into a compact keyboard, tray or no - it allows you to center the keyboard right until the monitor while still keeping the mouse nearby. Really cuts down on the amount of reaching you have to do. Again, if you REALLY need the numpad, buy a separate USB one and put it to the left of your keyboard. I never have a need for one myself.

If I could find a compact with cherry browns I would. Nowhere seems to have any in stock except EliteKeyboards, and I don't want leopold.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

Personally, I think you guys are crazy with your Leap love. I started my career right at the end of the first Internet gold rush, so the full compliment of HM chairs, Steelcase stuff, and even a few of the Steven Hawking Humanscale chairs were available to me. I was never able to find one that I loved more than a fully loaded Aeron in size C. I'm 6'3"/195, so maybe size has something to do with it. I ultimately purchased one for my house after switching to freelance.

Just echoing what others have said. Before you drop a grand on a chair, beg, borrow, or steal your way to trying it out first.

Yes. Very much so. I was "forced" into a leap at work and to this day I hate that chair. Now I barely sit at all, even though I have a body-built beastly thing at my desk.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

coffeetable posted:

e2: One thing is that I'm on a varnished wood floor, which the castors don't seem to like much, and they drag up any rug I put down. Anyone know of any cheap surfaces that are good to roll on?

Costco has decent prices, I have one for the 45x53 or whatever with lip for my bamboo floors at home, works like a charm.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

horchata posted:

Does anyone have a problem with their Leap where the lumbar support would move up after a certain period of time? I'm not sure if it's because the little dips are worn out or because the support is moving where it's supposed to be. I doubt it's the latter because it's moving 2 spaces from the top and I'm only 5'6".

It's because the leap is poorly made. My lumbar support when I had it at work never stayed in one spot.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stool (I decided to build a standing desk at home) or something similar for the times when I wish to sit and play/work at my home desk? I do have a large yoga ball that could be propped up in one of those stand things, but i don't know how that'd work for longer periods of me being lazy, or if it'd be high enough.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Google Butt posted:

If only you could add a headrest to the leap

Or, you know, actual ergonomics or a seat pad that lasts longer than 6 months. (The Leap is half marketing itself, for all this dx-racer marketing talk.) Maybe I was just too tall for the regular sized leap, but it helped gently caress my back.And the other steelcase branded chairs here all hurt for me to sit in for more than 20 minutes at a time. Which is why I largely stand.

That said, the worklounge from them actually looks great, just not $2300 great.

Getting a workplace ergonomics eval soon. We're supposed to have an office remodel with sit/stand desks (mine is fixed height atm), but no way in hell am I being shoved into another Leap.

For home, looking into an Aeron or Embody, but all the furniture liquidators seem to only have B size/no embody chairs. How are Aerons with the posturefix back support?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

foutre posted:

Fwiw I'm too tall for the leap/size b/most chairs (6'7"/8") but the size c Aeron fit, and the Embody was a close second.

I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of tech companies selling off chairs on Craigslist locally , but you could also try like, Madison seating or the like.

If the back was too short/seat too low for you I would definitely wait for a size c or similarly large chair, it's made way more difference than I would have imagined.

Yeah, the B's were definitely too small, and even HM's site says for me C only based on height/weight I'm currently at/am aiming for(6'4/220/200)

If i can get an embody for 400-500, I'd gladly pay that and get the posturefit or something aftermarket.

edit: found this CL ad. How can I verify it was actually rebuilt by a technician?

quote:

You are looking at Aeron C Chair with Lumbar. Chair rebuilt by a Certified Herman Miller Technician. I replaced everything with new Herman Miller parts. There will be no parts to fail on this chair. NEW TILT MECHANISM, CYLINDER, LUMBAR PAD,FUNCTION CABLES, RIGHT AND LEFT SWING ARMS, ARM PADS,CASTERS,HIP BOLTS, AND SEAT PAN. You won't find another like this unless you buy a new one. The price is $450.00 CASH FIRM and delivered in the metro area. This is by far the best used Aeron on Craigslist.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 13, 2016

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Lawen posted:

Herman Miller has an update to the Aeron coming out. My current Aeron has served me well for ~15 years but needs some work, I may actually spend MSRP on a new one if I like it after I've had a chance to sit in it.

Well poo poo. Looks like I might be into a local retailer or something.. Though oof, the configuration I want ratchets the price a few hundred from base model. Lambda chair looks interesting too, but I don't know if I could be a guinea pig with my back.

So at work, I was given an option of Steelcase Leap (gently caress that), and Teknion Projek (stool or chair version, as I currently have a standing height only desk). I'm torn, because I will never sit in a Leap again if I can help it, and the Projek looks similarly built, just more asspadding. I wonder if I can do anything to raise the issue further, or if I have to go with the Projek and then see from there if it hurts my back as well.

Oxxidation posted:

e2: yeah, not to sound like a drama queen but this thing's a god drat torture device. Impossible to get comfortable in. I can't work or think because all I'm thinking about is "get my spine away from this loving chair." I might just put it on Craigslist and use the cash to buy another cheap Staples office chair, because my last one was vastly more comfortable and workable than this nightmare even when all the lovely bonded leather and seat cushioning had disintegrated.

If you can, get something worthwhile. I tried a bunch of officemax/staples chairs, and hated them all (tried each for a few minutes/tried to adjust in store). Is a used/refurb Aeron in your budget? Or the Lambda even, since they have a 30 day refund window?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Just got two Aeron size C chairs last night for 300 bucks. I can tell why they were being sold so low now, but I think less than 200 worth of parts and I could fix them both up. They seem to be built in the late 90's, so they've held up incredibly well. The fabric seat on both might need eventual replacement but it supports my arse well enough.

Sitting in them to play some games last night was an instant relief though from my 9 year old Costco special.

One, the tilt lock just doesn't work, and the hip bolt for the seat comes out instead of just the screw. The other, the tilt lock and forward lock seem to be getting stuck so I can't disable the lock. That same one might need a new piston too, it seems slightly wobbly.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

ILikeVoltron posted:

The design is ancient, it's not for sitting in all day, it was originally a task chair. The loving thing gave me sciatic nerve damage. So yea, gently caress the Aeron. Read the Ergonomics section on the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeron_chair

There's like a million reasons why this chair is horrible but people have it in their head it's the "high end chair for all things sitting!!!!!1"

Read, it's not.

Edit: Also, read this thread, many other people share this opinion but you might have to go back 20 pages or so.

The leap gave me sciatic nerve damage, and helped aide in the herniation of two discs, requiring surgery. I can tell you sitting in an Aeron (when sitting at sit/stand desk) is like a loving dream compared to those lovely chairs.

The Aeron and some bodybuilt something or other have been there only two chairs I can comfortably sit in for a few hours at a time without noticeable pain. And I tend to notice it pretty fast.

That doesn't mean the Aeron is for everyone, or the leap is for no one, I get that. That's why getting an ergonomic evaluation and testing out various models is key. I'm about to raise hell with my workplace to either let me bring a spare Aeron from home (yay Craigslist), or buy me one, because both of their "ergo" options leave me in pain (leap and teknion project)

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

isndl posted:

There's at least one goon who claims the Leap made his back problems worse so look for a showroom and try it out first if you can. The human body is weird.

That's me. But I can't attest for the leap v2. I don't remember the one I was in having the center of gravity thing for reclining.

If you have low back pain, good lumber support is especially imperative. The original Leap for me did not have that. V2 might.

Definitely want to try out chairs before buying. I pretty much can't sit in any chair more than a few hours without pain anymore (even my Aeron now, though I can sit longer in it before pain). Some chairs flare up with pain after like 20-30 minutes. I'd also recommend a sit/stand desk if you can swing it. Alternating positions every couple hours helps me immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Etrips posted:

Do you have some sort of other medical condition that is exacerbating your lower back? Because that doesn't sound normal at all.

I had a double discectomy on my L3/4, L4/5 discs about seven years ago. I also have stupid genetics where it seems like I always have tight muscles, even with daily stretches, regular massages, biking, and yoga a few times a week.

My back pain is largely localized now, versus also becoming sciatic pain and numbness and/ or cramps in my legs. So I'll take it.

High cbd marijuana also helps when it's at its worst (whereas I used to go through Costco bottles of ibuprofen pretty drat fast with no result), but I tend to just try to find ways to make my environment less painful to work in (sit/ stand desk, walking around when I'm thinking about solutions to a problem that I don't need to actively code in, etc. Which is why a chair that's comfortable for even a couple hours for me is a big deal.

[quote="“Unbelievably White”" post="“477034167”"]
Whenever I sit in a computer chair my first instinct is to sit cross-legged in the chair, especially if I’m doing a lot of reading or video watching. Is this especially bad for my back?
[/quote]

Probably depends on the rest of your body positioning. If you're feeling numbness or pain after a little bit... Probably. If you're keeping decent posture aside from legs, probably not. Might even be better for hip flexors since they're a little more stretched out. I used to put one leg under me at a time for comfort.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 4, 2017