Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
This thread is quite co-incident with my latest major purchase. In the UK there's a couple of companies that offer the Aeron chair, custom-built (as they all are, apparently), complete with £990 (incl. VAT) price tag and 40-day delivery time.

I ordered one on Sunday after damaging my existing chair (an 'alright' chair in that it wasn't uncomfortable, but it was loud, I understand it was £50 from PC World or something). I broke it during my attempt to remove the seat cushion for washing (attached by four deep screws), I managed to remove two screws fine, but the other two were completely stuck and I ended up shredding their heads. The screws that I did extract were really corroded at the tips, so that's probably what held them in.

Anyway, come Monday where my friends on my course derided me for spending so much on "a loving chair" (yup) I did some googling and found a few London-based companies that sell prebuilt Aeron chairs at a substantial discount and with 48-hour delivery. I was able to cancel my original order (though I had to put up with a 2% non-refundable transaction fee) and ordered one of these "Fast Aerons". I did double-check to confirm that it wasn't a refurbished model or anything amiss like that. It comes with the standard 12-year warranty. They had a model very similar to what I originally ordered for about £750, but I thought as I was spending so much "ahh, gently caress it" and got the one with the polished aluminium base and linkage, total price: £899 (free delivery), a good £90 saved in money and a saving of 37 days of delivery too.

I had earlier sat in an Aeron chair once (well, numerous times over a 3-day period), in late 2007. I remember liking it pretty well.

It's due to arrive sometime tomorrow, would anyone be interested in a review/pics/anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Dead Goon posted:

I would be interested to hear what you think of it when you get it.

Any hints as to a url - my google only reveals links to this thread and your post.

I got my chair from these folks: WellWorking.

As for my thoughts:

It's a good chair, no-doubt about that. The springy-floating feeling from the stretched fabric beats any seat cushion and the lumbar support is great, I can't fault the leather armrests either.

That said, the bits of the frame that aren't polished aluminium are made from a rather hard plastic material. Not saying that's a bad thing, but for the price of the chair they could have opted for something less artificial or maybe an all-metal frame.

Since getting it, I have noticed a lateral wobble or looseness in the frame when the seat is upright, I can't tell if this is by-design or not. It isn't that big an issue, and I'll see how it goes.

Also, I think the seat and back are removable for washing, on account of how the seat and back appear to be made from two separate pieces, and the presence of screw holes in the bottom, but I'm not going to try.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

xie posted:

Someone on CL is selling an allegedly FL Aeron for $350. That's a really good price, right?

I'd say that's too good a price. The used Aerons I see on eBay are about £400-£600 depending on quality, with the £400 chairs being pretty scratched up or with over-stretched fabric that's lot its 'bounce'.

Best case scenario is that it's some guy who has confused his chair with one of the cheaper HM chairs, like the Mirra; or you might be lucky and found a guy who has undervalued his chair.

It could be a stolen chair, but I'm finding it hard to think up a plausible way a Craigslist crack junkie would know about Aeron chairs and price theirs like that (that said, does the CL ad say anything about wanting to sell it fast?)

I'd want to inspect the chair before purchase, even for $350.

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

modeski posted:

Does anyone know any good places to get proper computer chairs in Australia (particularly Melbourne)? At the moment I'm using a dining chair which is loving awful. I really don't want to buy something from Officeworks.

There's a company called Luke based in Melbourne that looks like its got the complete range of Dotcom-company style chairs, including the Aeron, Mirra, and a few sofas to boot too:

http://luke.com.au/chairs

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Kolodny posted:

Does anyone have any experience with stool or other sort of backless chair? I remember seeing a chair a while back that looked neat, a stool with a flexible seatpost, but I can't at all remember what it was.

I wouldn't get a stool (in the barstool sense) because there's nothing to maintain good posture; have you thought about a kneeling-chair instead?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Factory Factory posted:

They do three sizes and have a sizing chart for height and weight.

According to that chart I should have gotten a Size C (I'm just under 6 feet tall) but I'm perfectly comfortable in my Size B with plenty of room to spare (when I raise the chair to its maximum height my feet are a good few inches off the floor).

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
Having now sat on my Herman-Miller Aeron (Polished alu frame and linkage, leather adjustable armrests, posturefit) for a good 4 months now, I'm beginning to think the chair isn't worth the £900 I paid for it.

It is still a good chair: the reciling action is great, and the stretched fabric makes for a great seat, but I frequently find myself slouching and sliding towards the front of the seat, and the back isn't as big as it could be (so the hard plastic rim along the back ends up being lent on by my shoulder-blades).

It would be great if the back was taller, maybe with a head-rest too and if there was more of a 'dip' where the buttocks rest to prevent forward sliding.

Also, when my chair is upright I can feel some looseness in the base (I can rock the chair around this pivot) but as soon as I recline the looseness is gone, probably from the lateral forces applied to the cylinder.

Has anyone else felt the same way about their Aerons?

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Frankston posted:

Been using a plastic garden chair for the past 2 years

I feel obliged to ask you if your scrotum has ever been trapped between the chair's slats.

/I'm from fark
//bigz2k-4-ever

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

At this point it would be cheaper and easier if I just went to a junkyard, ripped out a driver side seat from an old luxury car, and attached a base to it. And I'm about a few days from doing so just so I can not have a loving backache when I'm online.

Taking something from the page of Top Gear, eh?

It looks like other people have done this before. You should do it, let us know how it goes :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

friendly gentleman posted:

So I've got an Aeron already - deal with it. But I always hear fuss about a footstool when reading about computer ergonomics. Does anyone do this? Is there any commendable "footstool" product that won't make me look dumb?

The skulls, bones, and other remains of enemies who dared stand before you.

You will look awesome.

/acually, you don't want a footstool, your feet should be flat on the floor and you should be sitting upright.