Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Going to a Herman Miller showroom at lunch to check out some seats, specifically Embody, Mira and Sayl. They don't sell to individuals, but they are happy to let me to test drive some so I can order from a reseller (nearby store sells them and offers free delivery, but doesn't have these on hand to try out). I'm excited, and then I want to cry because of the prices and then the prices + options. With random telecommuting and side work, I'm going to ask my accountant if I can claim it as a business expense though, which would be swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, that's the dilemma with office chairs. Most manufacturers (like the one I work for) don't sell direct, so you have to go through resellers who often aren't interested in selling to individuals, since they make their real money through selling to large companies who order hundreds of chairs at a time. So you have to do the legwork of picking out the right chair yourself, and often even if you find a chair that's comfortable, you might be messing yourself up ergonomically without knowing it, or overpaying by a huge margin. This is why companies employ ergonomists, and you're expected to do that on your own? It's asking a bit much of someone with no expertise.

That said, the Embody is an amazing chair - but you'll pay a lot for it. Same with the Mirra, it's drat good, although not really unique. The Sayl is nothing special, it's really just made to hit a certain price point, not to address any ergonomic issues - I'd avoid it. And while many people swear by their Aerons, they're very ergonomically out of date.

The showroom is generally for corporate people, but they let me come in and it was amazing. The sales team was all out, so I had a floor of an office building to myself and two front desk people, one of which showed me around. He was super nice and helpful, and since there was no commission on the line (no sale either, since they don't sell one chair at a time) I felt no pressure and he was informative without up-selling.

Yeah, the Embody was pretty sweet. One thing that's good/bad is that, while the other ones start (relatively) cheap, all the adjustments beyond tilt tension and height are optional and extra. With the Embody, all adjustments are included; the only options are arms/no arms, fabric and finish (largely aesthetic). While I don't think a loaded Mira would cost as much as an Embody, with the latter I'd be less likely to forgo something I see as extraneous only to wish I had it a week/month/year from now.

Because it was an actual Herman Miller office, they had everything, including an electric height adjustable desk that goes from sitting to standing in seconds with the push of a button that I want very much but didn't even ask how much that costs. I also got to try out the iconic Eames lounger (sweet jesus, If I was forced to have sex with furniture by some kind of perverse evil mastermind, I'd pick that chair).

Surprisingly, the best thing I sat on (for a minute, probably wouldn't stand up to the hours I spend at my desk) was the Eames Molded Plywood lounger. It's a solid bit of wood that looks nice but not comfortable, but as soon as I sat on it it was like they snuck into my house and made a mold of my rear end. I have never sat in anything that felt so right, and there were no adjustments to make. ~$530 for some simple bits of wood seems insane, especially when compared to some excellent $300 fancy desk chairs from other brands, but I'd hazard to say it's worth it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Moey posted:

Wait wait wait, this thing?

Yeah, super comfortable. I'm not considering it as a desk chair, mind, even the "kitchen table height" on. It was awesome for five minutes, but I need to spin and roll about and recline at my computer.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

evil_bunnY posted:

You'd be better off with an LC4.

If I'm gonna gently caress a chair, I want one with more padding. For sitting though, that's pretty sweet looking.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bought my Embody, titanium finish, white frame, dark brown fabric. Now I have to wait for it to be delivered.