Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm 6'7" and ~300 lbs with a 32" inseam (big frame, wide shoulders, mild gut). Herman Miller's graph doesn't address me in either axis. My work chair is probably a B on that chart and it's killing me to spend 9 hours a day in it. I started this job a month ago and my joints are in noticeably worse shape already. If I stand up quickly without thinking, the armrests get caught on my pelvis. :smithicide:

Tell me about comfortable chairs made for tall men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
We don't have an HR department and if I want a new chair I've got to buy it for myself; it's why I'm after some advice on it before I go in. Since it's my own nickel, I can get anything I can find the money for. This week I'm getting shin splints and my knees really ache. Other than that my job's great.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Off topic, but do you have bandy little legs or something? I'm 6'5 and wear 36/38 depending on the cut.

I have a 32" suit inseam, I'm 6'7", and I'm the same height as most people when we're all sitting; you're a scary bird man. :v:

My sister's like you, 2/3 of her is leg.

e: okay maybe it's a perceptual thing, I guess I sit about a head higher. Still.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 28, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Come on, dude, he said mesh seat and under $200; that's neither. :shobon:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
They're just about universal: peg sticking up with an indent in it to catch a retaining ring/ball in the chair foot.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Turns out I should have listened to myself and everyone else and done... I don't know, something. Should I have just quit?

I still can't afford a decent chair and work's still not buying anyone anything special, but I have a slipped disc now; please advise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
... They named it after Yao Ming but didn't make it strong enough to support his weight? The limit on that one is 300 lbs. :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm between 335 and 340 depending on the week.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Every time I read that truncated link, I keep seeing "turd mesh seat", which sounds like we're looking at a pretty high-end Goonthrone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

dunkan posted:

It works out for me since a chair can only suffer my massive form for a yearish before needing replaced. (6'7" ~350)

What's up, identical height and weight buddy? :hfive:

Now I'm off to check out that chair.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Which code/country? I've never run into this in the US.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This one: http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/Office-Master/Paramount-Value/PTYM-TALL-(Yao-Ming)-p85.html

Made for people 6'4" and above, up to 300 lbs.

That one makes me laugh every time, they named it after Yao Ming but he's over the weight limit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You should be able to fit 2 fingers in between your legs and the front of the seat, no more, no less.

gently caress, really? I can fit 2 fingers between my legs and the front of the seat... plus my entire other hand. :saddowns:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, that puts a lot of pressure on your legs and cuts off your circulation.

Nope, this would only be true if the chair was tall enough that my thighs were level with or above my knees. :suicide:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Now recommend one in the Northeast VA area. Please. :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Speaking of that, mine started doing that once in a while a couple years ago; still not sure what triggers it, but it's happening more often, like maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I'm a huge guy but I've been the same weight for 12 years, and owned this chair... the whole time, actually, so it's the cylinder.

The company's probably long gone, but it was a classy office chair once; are there universal fitment gas cylinders or am I screwed on finding a replacement?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Weirdly enough, the rest of it is pristine; considering that I'm a big monster with problems accidentally breaking things, this chair's been amazing. I used to be an MMO nerd (and still a big RPG fan) so it's done some serious time. I'll see if I can find any documentation on it when I get home, but I don't remember seeing any identifying marks last time I tried. That's why I figured I was on my own for a replacement cylinder.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the recommended max height and weight for a Herman Miller Reaction? Google's not delivering for me on this one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Holy poo poo, that box. :stare:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's not the freight company's fault, lack of appropriate packing media chews boxes up like that. For something heavy like a chair the box should be filled reasonably tightly with shredded cardboard packed around the chair, to prevent flexing and gross structural collapse, which is what you're looking at there. That box has to go on conveyor belts, be moved from truck to truck, and have boxes stacked on and around it.

There's no packing media because either they don't know what condition the boxes are arriving in (unlikely), or they're trying to save probably ~$15 in packing materials and shipping costs (at the expense of your goodwill). I ship heavy crap for a living and that box blows my mind with how little a poo poo they give about you and your opinion. Check the chair to see if they wrote "Go gently caress yourself!" on the seatback.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 12, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

What's the recommended max height and weight for a Herman Miller Reaction? Google's not delivering for me on this one.

Anyone? :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh; I meant max height/weight for the occupant, like the ABC system they have for some models. I'm sitting in one now, I just want to know if there's any official documentation for how badly I don't fit in it.

Imagine sitting in yours if you were 6'7" and 340lbs. In the max "raised" position, the seatback doesn't come up to my shoulder blades, and my knees are <90 degrees so my feet support my legs instead of the chair seat. It's got nice fabric, though. :unsmith: Without some official explanation of the limits it's actually designed for, complaining's a good way to get canned; I live in an At-Will Employment state (VA).

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 13, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
$90 is really cheap and probably does not reflect any labor or markup.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wrap them in leather the way you'd do a steering wheel, ie laced underneath. Probably could even use a steering wheel wrap, cut up. Get one for a thick steering wheel.

Leather armrests rule.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's not even enough for a decent beanbag. Unfortunately. :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Fatal posted:

A "high end" computer will last you 3-5 years. A high-end chair will last you at 10-15 years. Which is a better value?

A turtle will last you 50-60 years.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

if used correctly.

This is pretty nebulous territory as well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The ways I've seen people sit in their chairs because they simply don't know how to adjust them... It would make you cry. That and people sitting in chairs not the right size for them, at all.

I'm 6'7" and have to sit in a non-adjustable Herman Miller Reaction (size B) with a missing arm for 9.5 hours a day, so

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's the heaviest-weight/duty gas cylinder and legs available (individually, not by pallet or something)? At this point I am inclined to build myself something out of a luxury car seat. I work in the car industry so this is not going to be "too weird" (it qualifies as "employee enthusiasm"), but the lightest decent seat will still be probably 80 lbs.

Unlike the chair industry, I can test the hell out of car seats. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That's not a closed-arm chair.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I assumed he wanted specifically the solid style since fixed-loop chairs are all over the place. v:shobon:v

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So if I can fit both fists... :suicide:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Portable dance floor (like you'll see portaged to weddings by the DJ) is real nice for a home office chair if you can find it. By design, it's heavy enough to not give any fucks about carpet, even high pile/shag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Your doctor trolled you or you misheard, 230 at 6'4 definitely is not underweight.

My 6'4" father, a competitive long-distance cyclist, had a pulmonary embolism (and then heart-related problems with the blood thinners) and spent the next 2 months in a hospital immobilized and eating only hospital food. He came out at 225 pounds and was a hideous emaciated parody of a human being. It was like hugging a bag of sticks. :(

People come in all shapes and sizes.