Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

modeski posted:

Does anyone know any good places to get proper computer chairs in Australia (particularly Melbourne)? At the moment I'm using a dining chair which is loving awful. I really don't want to buy something from Officeworks.

MoJoDirect seem to have a good rep amongst the OverclockersAU crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Anyone know of a decent office chair for fat bastards? I've been doing 24hr shift work at an inbound call centre for a few too many years now, and as a consequence I've ballooned out to about 250lbs (only 5'7") and want something actually capable of supporting my weight, at least until I can finish knocking my weight down to something more managable.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

Anyone here from Australia know where to inquire about Hermann Miller chairs?

Looking at probably picking up a Aeron or Embody depending on prices but haven't got a reply back from the people I've emailed - probably as it's just a single unit for home use :(

If you're looking at it online then http://www.innerspacestore.com.au has a few different HM chairs on offer, but you're looking at $1200 or so for an Aeron or $1650 for an Embody. Or if you live in Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne/Perth then Living Edge stores sell them too.

If you don't want to shell *that* much out for a chair, bestchair.com.au sell the ergohumans for $550 or a bunch of places sell the Buro Metro (which gets a lot of decent reviews) for about $330.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

Ouch, I was expecting it to cost but that's a bit more than I expected still... Thanks for the alternate suggestions I'll check some more reasonable options out :(

Personally I'd recommend one of the Buro chairs if you can - they're priced pretty reasonably, are AFRDI 6 rated, have 10 year warranties and are made to withstand the weight of the fat neckbeards at Whirlpool (150kg).

Edit: and even though they're a bit overpriced there, you can even have them ordered in from officeworks.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 15, 2012

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Tedronai66 posted:

If I could find a compact with cherry browns I would. Nowhere seems to have any in stock except EliteKeyboards, and I don't want leopold.

Look for the Filco Majestouch2 87key then. You can get it other places than elite keyboards, like Amazon.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

As a heavier dude, the DXRacer has probably the most comfortable/best actual seat out of any chair i've owned for an extended period of time, and it's built as solid as a brick shithouse so I feel comfortable with it taking my weight and leaning back on it.

It also helps that it is one of the few chairs pretty much available globally without huge regional markups because there's no way I'm spending $1k+ on a computer chair.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

These look like a great find, I can't believe I'm just learning about them now! I have a set on order for delivery tomorrow! I'm putting them on my Leap, which should raise it by an inch or so. I use it on carpeting with a decent pile, and I've been wondering if my piston is sinking or is this just normal:

That's not a great photo, and I'm not sure how to capture a better image that properly illustrates how it's rubbing on the carpeting. I tried searching for other photos, and found the following:

Most of the photos I found of the Leap are like the first one in that image, where one of the legs is positioned directly in front of the center, but the other two do show the protrusion from the piston, albeit on a hard surface. I think this means my piston is within a normal range, or may be sinking a little, but I'm not sure what I can do about it aside from installing those higher castors and/or getting a mat.

Are you using the original wheels/piston on it? The only time I've had that happen on a chair is when I replaced my wheels with glides or tiny wheels.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not advocating for a DX racer since I've never sat in one. Just wondering why a car chair DIY isn't more popular.

Because regardless of whether you use a timber or metal base it takes a moderate amount of effort to get the thing together and stable enough so it doesn't tip over. It's much easier (and about the same cost) to just buy a chair instead.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The best thing to do is look for a chair that has passed the certification for your country. For example the KAB Seating range is fairly expensive but it's passed the AFRDI (Australian) and FIRA (UK) standards for office chairs and have got a good warranty on them (they're mostly built for 24/7 use in monitoring centres so they're built to last).

The go to cheaper chair for Australians at least is the Buro Metro - its a task chair thats relatively inexpensive but have passed the AFRDI certifications for large users (150kb/330lbs) and have a 10 year warranty.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I'd probably hot stapler it first (you can go ghetto mod with heated metal paperclips too) over just going straight epoxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

the weight ratings on cheapo chairs from overseas are meaningless. all they have to do is last long enough to be outside the amazon return window, because the “warranty” involves return shipping to china

The trick is to look for the certification ratings like AFRDI in Australia. Because the ones with those are legit office chairs.