Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gromit posted:

I just bought a Steelcase Gesture, which is nice enough but I'm still searching for my perfect chair. Anyway, what is everyone doing to protect the fabric? Spray on stain guard, seat cover of some sort?

I used spray on stain guard, and later got a wool sheepskin cover for the seat part. A bit of extra comfort, and it protects the seat cushion from spills and just damage from rubbing the fabric constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gromit posted:

Thanks. Did you just get a chair pad that sits on the cushion, or something that attaches in some way?

It has a non-slip backing and two dinky elastic straps. I had no faith in the straps, but in combination with the backing they keep it from moving around. Nothing fancy at all, but it works and doesn't look stupid.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

~Coxy posted:

It's probably going to be better to get a footrest for your wife to use.

Truth. I'm 5'5" and if my chair is low enough for my feet to sit on the floor like in the optimal ergonomic chair sitting diagrams, then I'm sitting too low for the desk.

As seen here:

It's easier to use a footrest than to get a short chair and a short desk.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ethereal posted:

How well do these work on carpet?

I have some FUD around the big ones snapping the mount point. It seems to happen occassionally due to where the pressure changes.

I might end up doing this, though it seems like a little bit more of a pain to hammer out the existing working cylinder.

If it's just an inch or two, you could pad the seat rather than changing the wheels. As a bonus the pad helps protect the chair seat from wear and tear and goony cheetos crumbs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Also not a huge fan of leather, but I'm not sure if non-leather options tend to be more or less costly.

Generally leather will only be cheaper than fabric if it is low quality bonded leather. You know, the stuff that starts flaking within a year and looks like rear end. Never trust cheap leather.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pollyanna posted:

My Mirra 2 came in today. It's a good chair, no doubt, but...does anyone else get a numb butt and thighs when sitting in it after a couple hours? I feel like I have to keep shifting my position a little for my legs not to fall asleep.

Plus, I was using a really lovely box chair before this one came in, and it hurt my tailbone after a while. This one doesn't hurt my tailbone as much, but now that I've gone over to the couch, I do feel like my butt is kinda achy.

Is this a common problem with the Mirra 2? I don't recall this happening when I tried it back in September.

I don't have that chair, but I do have one with very firm padding that can get like that. I put one of those textured gel cushions on it and it solved the problem. As a bonus, any stains or smells hit the easily replaced cushion rather than the chair. Since it has a 10 year warranty I imagine occasional spills and whatnot could get an unprotected seat looking grody long before the chair dies.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rollie Fingers posted:

I also found the Mirra 2 a bit stiff when I bought the chair, and it also gave me numb glutes after sitting on it for a few hours. I put a cushion on the seat but it quickly started annoying me.

After a few weeks, once the chair had been ‘broken in’, I have to say this is the best chair I’ve owned, and I’ve had the Aeron and Leap v2 before.

The mesh softens after a few weeks and now I prefer it every day of the week over the Aeron’s springier mesh.

Huh. I wonder if putting some weight, like a bag of potatoes or a pile of cats, on the chair when you aren't using it would help break it in faster?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bitprophet posted:

Thread, would you like a respite from the discussions involving 6'5 goon sirs weighing 300 lbs? (Absolutely no offense intended to such, but you do seem to be the majority, at least over the last few dozen pages!)

I am a smol boi at barely 5'4" (and about 140 lbs) and many chairs either don't go low enough for my feet to touch the floor, or are sufficiently deep that I must choose between back support or having circulation below the back of my knees.

Have made do with various mediocre office store or IKEA chairs (currently on a well made but badly sized FLINTAN) for the last few decades, but am now in a position to seriously invest in my desk-sitting. Among your Hermans Miller, Aerons, cases of steel, scaly humans and so on, which have models that might work for wee folk? I gotta bust out the measuring tape and hit the websites either way, but anecdata or general tips would be appreciated.

As a fellow shorty, you also have to consider the height of your desk. A low enough chair to have your feet flat on the floor can leave your desk at an awkward height. An alternative is to get a foot rest: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=foot+rest

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a mat for very deep/plush carpet? I've tried the thickest ones I could find at both costco and office depot and in both cases after a couple hours the mat had huge dents and the chair wouldn't roll anymore. I only weigh about 190 so it's really just the carpet. I've been considering even getting a sheet of MDF or something, though I doubt that would hold up and I'd have to cut around my desk in weird ways.

I can't vouch for them personally, but they do make glass chair mats. It sounds like a crazy idea but the reviews are good. :shrug: https://www.amazon.ca/Lorell-Tempered-Glass-Chair-82833/dp/B07K95V7X2

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zero VGS posted:

I'm on a crusade here. I need to figure out a way to get my monitor attached to the back of a rocking recliner.

Something like, an aluminum hula-hoop bar that's bolted to the back of the recliner, so I duck under it and the monitor is right in front of me, and if I recline or rock the chair, the monitor is following along since it's fastened to the back.

I know there's a million of these "zero gravity" office chairs but most expect me to adjust the monitor every time I recline, or if they do wrap the monitor from around the back, they're these $6000 monstrosities (and still don't let you rock in them).

Seems like I could pull it off between what's available on Home Depot and Amazon, but if anyone has ideas on how to keep it simple, rigid and light I'm all ears.

I don't think recliners are designed to support weight from the top like that. If you have the recliner already you could take the upholstery off the back to look at the structure inside and see what you have to work with. But if you're trying to attach weight at an odd angle to a couple lovely pine boards you're going to have a bad time.

Another way to go could be to mount the monitors to the wall instead of the chair? Or a floor stand.

https://www.computerdesksdepot.com/products/dw630w-63-hospital-lcd-tv-monitor-arm-over-the-bed-arm-wall-mount

You could even try mounting something like that to the back of a recliner, but the wall would be safer.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I have a lot of love in my heart for this $6000 $3,300 monstrosity.

https://i.imgur.com/mBEKYan.mp4

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sininu posted:

Isn't this a dedicated chair thread?

It is, but it's also 9 years old and the op is just a guy asking about chairs, not an effort post about chairs. I love effort posts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Internet Explorer posted:

So I'm moving to a new place where there will be carpet where our desks are. I'm real mad about it and if I have to do something crazy to make it work I will, but in the meantime do those giant rollerblade wheel casters work in low-pile carpet any better than most wheels?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G643EU6

Why not just get a chair mat? They are ugly but they do the job of making the chair easy to use. Keeps the carpet cleaner too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you have a chair you like but the cushion puts your butt to sleep when you sit for long hours, try one of those beaded wood seat cover things. Taxi drivers love them for a reason. I got this cheap one to try: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/autotrends-beaded-seat-cushion-0321471p.html

It works well. If my butt starts feeling tired just wiggle a bit to get a different set of pressure points. It also allows some air flow which is nice if your chair gets too warm in the summer. The only problem I've had is since my chair doesn't have a headrest, the connections designed for a car seat don't suit. I've tried a couple ways of attaching it and after a while it always falls off. If I were buying again I'd try to find one that is just the seat area, the back beads are unnecessary, add extra weight, and connecting them to an adjustable chair is challenging.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Feels like they had the idea to take a Victorian style wood and leather chair design and add all the modern convinces. Also they were on drugs.

This sort of thing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

halokiller posted:

Not a true goonthrone when this exists

This one is an entire posting station, not a mere chair.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it even possible for that kind of padding to last 10 years?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I assume part of the value is in the durability, not just comfort. It is reasonable that a chair that you replace every 20 years costs more than a cheepo chair that needs replacement every 2 years. 10 times as much? Maybe.

I once bought an expensive for me at the time executive chair at walmart. It was the most comfortable chair I'd ever had so I bought one for my mom too. Within a few months the cushion was flat. Within a year it looked diseased as the bonded leather started pealing away. I kept it for another year because I didn't want to be wasteful but mostly because it was big and heavy and hard to dispose of.

Eventually I followed advice from a post earlier in the thread and got a chair with a 10 year warrantee rated for 24/7 use for people 150 pounds heavier than me. It was never the most comfortable chair I owned, but years later everything still works exactly the way it did new. The fabric on the seat cushion is showing a little wear, but that's it. The seat cushion was a little too firm when I got it, and it is still a little too firm, it hasn't broken down one bit.

(Not a famous brand chair, I think this one was like $600 which still makes it one of the most expensive things in my home. I bought it for the 10 year warrantee and 24/7 rating)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ffycchi posted:

Did people already forget about my effort post a few pages back?

Fame is fleeting. Plus most people don't follow the chair thread, they just come here when they have a problem. Maybe check the op and the last page and then post.

Considering that the op hasn't been updated in 10 years it might be time for a new thread with a useful first post.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It could have warranty implications. If your 4hr/day chair breaks in 6 months and you try to file a warranty claim and they ask how many hours you used it and you're like "8 hours a day because of loving covid" they could say oh you broke the terms and misused the chair so your warranty if void. "How could sitting in it an extra 4 hours a day make the back fall off?" "Void."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

styls trill epic posted:

Here's my chair for those wondering....

It's called a sitonit amplify.

It's alot better than the kitchen chair my rear was previously seated upon

One issue I can see is that it doesn't appear to heave a tilt function. It would be alot cooler if it did. But for $100 I can't complain....

Be sure to check back in a few months. It would be cool if there was a cheap chair that was comfortable and would last a while.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is you break an Aeron or Embody in 10 years, then you are doing something very wrong

Look, if you can think of a better way to play the floor is lava I'd like to hear it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you want to avoid damage but don't want a chair mat your best option might be feet instead of casters? It won't roll at all, but it won't tear up the carpet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Someone had already used some drywall screws on it.

Oh dang, that looks amazing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A real statement piece.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TenementFunster posted:

just stop buying gamer chairs.

we’re all middle-aged. do not buy the race car bed of office furniture.

With inflation nobody can afford a whole racecar for their midlife crisis anymore. Just the chair.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There are tempered glass chair mats that should work on hard floors and not look awful.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Termyie posted:

In reality, she is a goblin person who sits in chairs the weirdest ways possible, a la cross legged and with knees to chest. I still don't know she find that comfortable

It gives some of the muscles in your butt, thighs, and lower back a nice stretch. If I try to sit like the ideal sitting pose all day my lower back seizes up.

Oddly enough I've only seen ladies choose to sit like this (on chairs) though. Which makes me wonder if it has something to do with the hip bones or female fat distribution. Or the extra junk in the trunk makes typical lumbar support insufficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

When I was buying a chair 7 years ago the thread had recommendations like look for at least a 10 year warranty, and if you're a goony goon who sits at their desk all day look for a "24 hour" or "continuous use" chair because many "computer chairs" are rated for 4 hours a day.

The Embody meets those criteria. But in Canada it costs $2600 (plus taxes and delivery, of course).

I ended up getting, I think, this one: https://www.ugoburo.ca/en/global-malaga-3140-3-office-seating-chair-ergonomic.html It was under $700 at the time. It meets both of the thread recommendations. I had a further requirement that the seat be wide enough to sit cross-legged sometimes because I'm a weirdo (it helps my back pain). It also has a bunch of nobs and things that make it adjustable in like 7 different ways that I don't really know how to use -- that's where buying from a show room would probably have helped. At the time they said the chair was made in Canada, which probably made it a bit cheaper than other not-china countries where international shipping would have been baked into the price. (For example thesame chair I bought costs 30% more in US stores, probably due to customs and delivery.)

No ragrets. After 4 years the seat upholstery started to show a little wear. Not much, just a bit of pilling where my foot rubs when I pull it up to sit cross-legged, lol. So I got a chair cover to protect the upholstery. After 6 years the height adjustment on the arm rests failed, causing them to go to their lowest point. This is probably covered by the warrantee, but by then I'd moved 3 times and lost the proof of purchase and whatnot. Everything else works as well as the day I bought it. Because it's meant for heavy duty use the chair cushion was a little firmer than the cheepo chairs I was used to, and 7 years later it's exactly the same amount of "a little bit too firm".

So it has cost me less than $100 a year, probably less than I was spending on chairs at Office Depot or Walmart that had to be replaced every year or two. It's not the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in, Walmart has a chair that was the most comfortable chair I ever sat in -- for 4 months, and then it was total garbage. It's perfectly fine for the first 6-8 hours a day, but if I sit in it all day the "a little bit too firm" seat starts hurting my butt and I have to change position often. But I'm not sure if that's the chair or just that human bodies don't like sitting 12 hours a day and want me to get off my rear end.

ps. I am poor.