Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
A couple years ago, I ended up splurging on my wife and got her an Aeron. I'm frequently jealous of her now.

However, quite a few years before that, I got myself one of these: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/WorkPro-Quantum-9000-Series-Ergonomic-Mesh/ and it seems to be holding up pretty well. (What I'm trying to say is that I cannot yet justify spending that much on an Aeron for myself while this chair still functions).

At any rate, what I *would* like is a headrest for this thing. I just discovered tonight that this chair was sold in both headrest and non-headrest models, but it appears that my non-headrest model has the mounting holes for a headrest. I can't seem to find anything online for it, though.

It almost seems like WorkPro may be an Office Max brand? I tried both Google and Amazon, and I wasn't able to find a headrest from this company. Some of the aftermarket ones didn't seem like they would fit, either.

Does anyone have any good tips on where to locate a good aftermarket headrest?

I did just send an email off to OfficeMax Customer Support to see if they can help, but I'm kinda doubting it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mofabio posted:

Find a street-waste recliner for $0 and bolt on five casters. You peasants are rubbing mesh up your asscracks all day while I luxuriate on a computer throne.

Clearly you do not understand mesh properly, then.

In the summer, you angle a fan up from the floor to keep your balls dry. In the winter, the space heater keeps your balls warm.

Try not to get eaten by the family of spiders that live in that curbside throne of yours :v:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mofabio posted:

Oh, I'm the one who doesn't understand mesh? I'M the one? I'm sitting here wrapping up several, multi-retweet, top quality posts at this moment. My posting powers are tremendous. You meshheads think you're tops just cuz you all bought chairs you can fart through. But guess what, it's your lucky day, I'm offering each of you a free butt cupping in my computer throne so you can feel the error of your ways. One on the house. Just follow the great posts and I'll be waiting.

Well, when you put it that way . . . I know a deal when I see one :parrot:

isndl posted:

At that point you get a desk mounted on an arm and skip the casters on the chair.

My father-in-law has this, and I had the opportunity to play some games on a laptop with the footrest up, layin' back and enjoying life.

I found that after a couple hours, the back/tailbone support just wasn't there and it started to get painful. For the first hour or so of each night, though, it was amazing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is it possible to get a headrest for the Embody? It doesn't LOOK like it would support one, but maybe I'm wrong.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Etrips posted:

No, stop being lazy.

So it's missing a key feature of a good chair, got it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Deviant posted:

headrests promote poor posture.

Hmm, probably a fair point.

That being said, I have a sit/stand desk, so when I'm sitting, I pull a footrest over, tilt all the way back, and lounge. Think "Lay-Z-Boy Recliner" levels of loafing.

Then when I get tired of that, I stand up and have (relatively?) correct posture.

Deviant posted:

I have a chair adjacent question!

Years ago, I had a chair mat that i used to protect my carpet. My current chair is stretching and/or damaging my area rug i have it on, and I'd like to get another one.

HOWEVER:

Over time, the plastic on the chair mat hardened up, causing me to accidentally kick the raised edge once and cut the ever loving poo poo out of my foot.

Can someone recommend a chair mat that won't do this?

I think plastic is probably always going to harden/get brittle over time.

I've generally always preferred my chair on carpet, personally. So I'll usually go shop Menard's and find the odds 'n ends pieces of carpet they are selling at a huge discount per foot for an area rug. Would your use case allow for just putting down a piece of junk carpet to protect the nice rug?

The only other thing I can think of is if you could find some sort of trim to put around the edge of a chair mat to prevent the ability of slicing and dicing.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 30, 2018

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Quote != Edit

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Deviant posted:

But I like the rug I have and it looks good here, the wheels are just hard on the weave. :(

Oh, in that case, you could maybe swap the casters out for something that would be much more gentle on the carpet?

I'm not sure what that would BE, mind you; all I know is that it's possible to get replacement casters that are each designed for particular surfaces.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Work just upgraded the furniture, so I'll be going from whatever 2000-esque non-adjustable chair I was in to a Steelcase Gesture:
https://store.steelcase.com/seating/office-chairs/gesture

Also getting a sit/stand desk too, so that'll be pretty cool. Maybe!

Any tips/thoughts on the Gesture?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pottsdam posted:

Trying to decide between Embody and Steelcase Gesture. I went to some showrooms and tried both out but obviously I can't know how they'll feel sitting in them for hours.

We just got Gestures at work, and I feel like the seat pan is angled slightly away from the backrest; after awhile, it feels like the chair is trying to dump me out of it, and my knees are tired of preventing sliding.

Which is stupid, because the video for the thing definitely shows the seat pan tilting back towards the back when it leans back, but that is NOT how it feels to sit in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UffocPgvqhA&t=221s

Maybe there will be a way for me to figure out how to not hate the thing yet, but my impression after the first week of use is not positive.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

succ posted:

anyone try a Mirra 2 chair? those seem to be reasonably priced.

I believe the thread seems to regard it as the newer, better, less-expensive Aeron.

For what it's worth, I think I used these in the factory I previously worked at. I recall them being quite comfortable, but then again, when you're standing for 8-12 hours a day, most anything is pretty drat comfortable.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lackmaster posted:

What’s wrong with this chair? (Besides needing a good cleaning). I assume it’s a Leap V1 but I’m not sure. $60 and only a 15 min drive...

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/d/steelcase-leap/6626787397.html

Why is the handle so dirty . . . ?

Like, take a damp rag to it before you take pictures, wtf man

(I don't know anything about the chair itself, sorry :( )

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

hooah posted:

I've got a Leap that I got from my school's surplus store, and it's been great except it creaks/squeaks a fair amount. Is there any guide or something for how to lubricate these?

Not exactly a professional guide, but reading through this, he seems to know what he's talking about :
http://www.devonrosemusic.com/synthstuff/steelcaseleap.htm

When I was in maintenance, I was always a fan of Kroil:
https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA

A bit pricey, but it was some of the best stuff we had in the shop. Smells good, too.

I'd say just put a huge piece of cardboard down on the floor under the chair, and try to hit anything that looks like a moving/friction part. Maybe not the wheels, though.

Edit: Just remembered, we used the stuff with silicone in it:
https://www.amazon.com/Kano-SiliKro...words=silikroil

I'm sure either would work fine, though. It's also probably possible to find it cheaper elsewhere. Someone on amazon said you can get 2 for 1 deals if you go directly to the manufacturer.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 5, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
What about an under-desk pullout keyboard tray? Could that help give some added depth?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

buglord posted:

I was in the market for a computer chair but one thing I realized is that no chair is going to help me out if I have bad posture when gaming. By bad posture I mean sitting with legs crossed hunched forward, leaning back feet up on the side of the desk, sitting but legs bent below chin. How do you guys maintain constant proper posture when gaming?

I took a careful look at the positions I find the most comfortable, and adjusted my setup around that.

For me, that meant that I like having my feet up. So, I found an ottoman on Craigslist that was long enough to support the entire length of my legs (to take stress off the entire leg when it's up) and added some wood to the bottom to bring it up to the height of my chair. Is this frankencontraption ugly as hell? Yes. Am I too lazy to make it pretty? Also yes. But it's comfortable!

Another key piece of this was getting a sit/stand desk, so I could 1). Precisely adjust the height of the desk to be comfortable at the correct chair height and 2). have the option to stand, which I sometimes do when I realize I'm getting restless from sitting too long. (Desk was about 400 on sale at Office Max, but I think hand-crank ones can be had for cheaper)

So, yeah, sometimes I sit up straight, but most of the time I'm leaned back with my feet up. The way I see it, it's less about "correct" posture than it is making sure you are adequately supported in the positions you find yourself sitting in.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ytlaya posted:

I'm wanting to get a Nice Chair, but I'm having a hard time finding places that sell chairs from the high-end brands in Memphis. The only place I can find on the internet that seems like it might actually sell Herman Miller chairs is this ( https://apgof.com/ ) and it's not clear to me if this company actually sells to individuals or if it's just a business vendor. If you search for a store on Herman Miller's own website, the closest places are in St. Louis and Nashville. I guess it can't hurt to stop by this place and see what they have.

Yeah, definitely go in! The place I bought from was very clearly oriented at commercial clients, but they didn't seem to care that I wasn't a business client. Hell, for all they know, you might be a buyer at a startup or something.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

wolrah posted:

Any thoughts on the Tempur-Pedic branded chairs Staples sells? I'm specifically looking at this one: https://www.staples.com/Temperpedic-TP-6400/product_2724237

I sat in it in the store the other day and liked it, but obviously that can only tell me so much.

It seems to check all the boxes I was looking for (high back, not leather, decent recline with a lockout, adjustable armrests) and is going to be $199 for BF.

I don't know anything about it specifically, but the 10-year limited warranty on it suggests to me that it's probably well-built.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zero VGS posted:

I'm having an exceptionally bad day and the thought popped into my head:

Can I use a massage chair as an office/gaming chair in my house? I play at my PC but not much with mouse/keyboard, I'm usually laid back with an Xbox controller. I'm sure the novelty would wear off and I'd regret getting a multi-thousand massage chair, but all these fuckin' Costco reviews make them sound so great.

Pretty much what Wolrah said. However, I want to add that yeah - as long as you can get the monitor/keyboard/mouse (I know you said controller but still) into a comfortable/ergonomic/non-strain position, hell yeah, go for it.

When I was at a relative's house, I ended up playing an MMO in their recliner; they had an entire setup for it. Some sort of table that came across the lap and angled toward me slightly, and since I was on a laptop that gave the mouse/keyboard/monitor the same angle. Kick back, legs up, chill for a bit - it was pretty nice.

The only downside was that the recliner was probably older than me, so I could feel pressure on my hips/back where I was basically sitting on the frame after an hour or so. Since your chair will be brand-new, you shouldn't have that issue. Also, depending on the chair, your pressure points will be moving constantly.

Definitely +1 to "if you do it, give us a trip report".

Edit: I sit at a height-adjustable desk with a footrest roughly the same height as my seatpan for gaming now, so I'm basically just in a less-fancy setup of what you're describing and it's worked out pretty well. I deffo need a new chair though. Maybe in the spring . . .

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
So my (goon) buddy that knows I have ~*opinions*~ about chairs just posted this at me:

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/gaming/

Apparently that's the only info at the moment. I was actually just about to be in the market for a new chair, but now I'm intrigued and may wait for more details about this first.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, I'm not even sure what I'm hoping from here . . . besides not the fake leather poo poo, I guess.

I want a high-backed chair with a headrest and a good warranty, I guess. Could do an Aeron with an aftermarket headrest, or maybe some other offering from one of the quality manufacturers (not even sure what else is out there that would fit that bill, I guess).

Maybe this thing will be it, maybe it won't. Somehow I feel like the deal breaker will either be the warranty or what they upholster it with, I guess.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
A buddy just reached out to me requesting a chair recommendation. Unfortunately, it seems that he's in a bit of a pickle:
1). His budget is $100
2). His current chair just recently failed ("some $250 racer chair that only lasted a year") and he's sitting on a wooden box right now

I told him that normally I'd recommend hitting up used office furniture places, but that's probably not reasonable right now. Anyone know of any good refurbished chair dealers that deliver? I started looking around online, but I'm not certain what is real and what isn't. (I think it was Madison Seating that everyone here said turned out to be maybe-a-scam?)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Taima posted:

Scour craigslist or maybe something cheap from amazon...?

https://www.amazon.com/Smugdesk-Mid...7021236&sr=8-17

Good deal; I posted it in Discord as an option. Thanks!

I did ask him about Craigslist/Amazon and he said "Well, I'm iffy about used furniture; there was a bedbug outbreak in the area recently so I'm not really wild about that idea. I did look, though, and there's not much."

I don't know if this company is any good, but $50 for a refurbished SteelCase 454 seems like a hell of a deal:
http://www.preownedsteelcasefurniture.com/454_task_chairs.htm

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

It's one of the better cheap chairs out there, but it's got some wonk. The arms are dumb because they're attached to the back -- so when you recline, you end up sitting like an astronaut about to launch.

The mesh is surprisingly durable. We left ours in the sun for a few weeks due to shenanigans and pulled it in due to the Rona, and it's not degraded at all aside from the arm foam.

Yo, hey, back up now!

I actually prefer the chairs that the entire . . . I don't know how to describe it . . . that the seat pan and seat back tilt at the exact same angle.

It's unfortunate that more chairs don't have that as an option. At least the Aeron and other chairs kinda-sorta approximate it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

No it's not doing that. The butt is just swivel no tilt. The back is a spring loaded recline.

The arms are attached to the back and only swing up, before your shoulders. They only go level to the ground when the chair is upright; when you recline they point UP, so your arms can't remain on the desk.

Oh, the arms aren't connecting the seat and the back, they're just on the back.

That . . . is weird. Interesting.

Seems like it might be comfortable if you were reading a book or using a video game controller, but definitely not a PC, yeah.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

At their lowest their sliiiightly too high for my elbows to be comfortable. And I'm 6 foot even.

Almost sounds like you need to toss a cushion on the seat, heh. Of course, that defeats the purpose of the mesh.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Speaking of the Aeron, has anyone tried the Cosm?
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/cosm-chair-high-back/2515455.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=1

It kinda LOOKS like the office-chair equivalent of the Setu lounge chair:
https://store.hermanmiller.com/living/lounge-chairs-and-ottomans/setu-lounge-chair/2319.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=1

Which, I can't be 100% sure, but I think the store I bought my wife's Aeron from had an area with like 4x Setu around a coffee table, and it was THE MOST comfortable thing I think I've ever sat in. Granted, I was only sitting in it for a few minutes, and it was impossible to try and get out of, but drat.

Just figured I'd see if there were any Goon Opinions on it; I'm not quite in the market to purchase anything yet, but I'm getting closer every day. (Of course, I'll want to wait until I can go back to the store and try sitting in stuff, so . . . it may be a long, long time yet.)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MetaJew posted:

I bought a Steelcase Leap chair almost 10 years ago through an employee discount program (it was still $500-ish).

Over the years it feels like the seat cushion has almost completely compacted. Does anyone know if it's possible to replace it or get the cushion replaced by someone who does upholstery work?

Do I have any other options? Working from home is becoming very uncomfortable, but the chair is in otherwise fine condition.

Surprisingly, Google isn't helping me at all here. However! I have a garbage-tier (well, $300 new) OfficeMax chair, and calling the manufacturer directly, I was able to replace the seat-back for $75 (the seat pan developed a failure in the lean-back mechanism like 4 months later and I was pretty disappointed by that but welp)

What I am saying is that you might just consider calling SteelCase directly and seeing what they offer. I can't imagine they don't offer this as a service part.

Worst-case scenario, I managed to fix a friend's kitchen chair once by taking the cardboard-backed cushion off, unstapling the fabric, replacing the cardboard with plywood, and pulling the fabric tight again and stapling it back in place. If it's as terrible as you say, you might be able to pop the cushion off and put new foam under the fabric.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MetaJew posted:

Bold part: Google is very weird about servicing Steelcase chairs for some reason. I also have the piston dragging against the floor and finding a fix for that was not easy. Ultimately i tturned out there was a local supplier/distributer and they gave me some free shims to raise the piston up slightly but I never got around to it. Partly because I couldn't seem to separate the piston from the base. At the time when I got the shims, the parts person told me they would fix it for free if I wanted to drop the chair off. When I discovered I couldn't separate the chair from the piston and called back to have them do it for me, the previous employee was gone and the new one told me they had a minimum one service visit for $80 to diagnose the problem and then they might fix it for me. So, I need to figure out how to get those shims in someday.

Regarding the seat, I also couldn't find any documentation about disassembly or replacement. I know with most furniture, it's like you said, you could remove the seat and fabric and staple in some new padding-- but the assembly of this chair seems more complicated.

I had been dragging my feet on calling Stealcase, but I will probably do as you suggested. Thanks for confirming that it wasn't just my bad google-fu.

That got me thinking, and this gets you part of the way there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCy1ErJG15s

I'm gonna keep looking on YouTube now, but figured I'd throw something out there to get started.

Edit: Looks like removing the cylinder from the base requires a hammer (which, in my experience, is not at all surprising):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft1_d9zaWN8

There's a ton of this stuff on YouTube, so I bet if you called SteelCase, you could price out changing the plastic seatpan+cushion vs. just trying to pry it apart and putting new/more/different foam under the fabric.

Edit2: Hell, that Crandall Furniture place might be worth calling to see what they can do for you as well. Props to them for all those how-to videos.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 22, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wasabi the J posted:

Iirc the marketing was specifically about how people constantly sit like loving idiots so they designed the gesture.

Ugh, yeah. Sorry I didn't get to you in time; we have Gestures at work and I am not a fan.

It's possible that my frame just isn't suited for them, but they always felt like they were subtly trying to dump me onto the floor.

Some people like them, so maybe you're the target demographic! If not, don't be shy about shipping it back and trying something else, I guess.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I am intrigued to learn that the Gesture has a headrest option, though. That's something I didn't know before!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

I feel like the Gesture doesn't even do anything for that. The arms are marginally more mobile than a regular chair and . . . that's it really.

Go ahead and ignore me, though; I just . . . am so underwhelmed by that chair in general.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Xenthalon posted:

To chime in on the Steelcase Gesture discussion:

I bought one with all the frills (headrest, armrests, adjustable back-support) just before the pandemic hit because my Ikea chair was on its last breath. And it's really just the best. I've spent all day on it for the last 5 weeks of quarantine during work-from-home, 9 hour work days, do a bit of exercise, then immediately sit back down on it for another 5 hours for gaming and internet stuff. And it's really fantastic, no fatigue or anything.

You can't really slouch on it, and you can't fix it in the backwards position, the back rest kinda always follows you, that's why some people think it pushes you on the floor. But if you adjust it right, get the backrest resistance to the level where you don't have to forcibly push backwards against it, it's a fantastic chair. It feels firm, yet nothing is really solid, everything is cushioned just right. Even the armrests, which look like hard plastic, give slightly in if you push against it.

Interesting, I didn't know they came with headrests! I guess the office skimped. Of course they fuckin' did

I think, for me, why it feels like it's gonna dump me on the floor is because the seat pan doesn't really tilt at all when you lean back. And, in the upright position, the seat pan feels like it's a degree or two tipped to the floor, rather than perfectly flat. I'm not sure if it's how I'm distributed on the padding, or what. But I think I most notice it when I have the back locked to full-upright (because I put my feet up on a shelf under my desk when I'm leaned all the way back, so my legs are horizontal)

To be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of the Leap we had before that, either. It was just a very basic level of "eh, it's fine" rather than a mild irritation with it, though, so maybe chairs and I just don't get along like we should?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

found a leap 2 at a office place used for 200, but now I'm home and I'm noticing that the gas piston is basically touching the floor, it drags on carpet, also the arm rests feel like the rubber or whatever isn't connected to the physical armrest anymore, like a phone with a silicone case that doesn't really fit the phone and flops around, but I don't think they are covers, guess I'll try the place on Monday and see if I can swap it out for one of the other ones. :smith:

If not, another goon a bit upthread (not very far iirc) said that he had to get shims to move his gas piston up a bit.

As for the armrests, outside of "glue, idk?" I dunno what help I am there :(

Hopefully they have a nicer one you can just swap to though!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

charity rereg posted:

oh btw I've seen the Zody chair come up a few times in this thread when I searched and not a lot of commentary when people ask. it's nice. i prefer it to my aeron chair at work, however i'm not saying it's "better," i'm just an aeron non believer. its way way way better than my un ergonomic ikea chair, literally just being able to slide the "seat pan" forward made me cry with joy.

so if anyone is like "Hey is this a real chair is it good?" yes. it is also extremely catte approved.

If I can ask, what is it about the Aeron that you don't like?

I think that one ended up on my short list the last time I was out looking (which was like 4 years ago) so I figured I'd take a note on what to look for or whatever, if you don't mind sharing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Reacon posted:

https://www.madisonseating.com/leap-chair-v2-by-steelcase.html

I just bought this guy for $300. Just FYI to everybody here who is experiencing the effects of quarantine on their backs.

Good luck to you; wasn't Madison Seating the one everyone in the thread had trouble with?

Just keep an eye on it, I guess, is all I'm sayin'

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

wolrah posted:

Any thoughts on footrests? Apparently I must have short lower legs or something, because though I'm over 6 feet tall I have to bottom out my chair to have my feet flat on the ground and not feel like I'm putting pressure on my thighs. Obviously as a result I lose all the suspension travel the strut would usually provide. I would like to go up a couple of inches to solve this so I'm looking for ways to compensate for that.

edit: Or in the opposite direction, are the struts standard enough that I might be able to just get an alternative unit and replace it?

I got an ottoman-type thing off of CL and screwed some wood under the feet to raise it up to be almost the same height as my seat pan, so I can lean back and have my legs straight out like I'm in a recliner or something.

That probably isn't what you're looking for, but I figured I'd throw it out there all the same. It's pretty comfy, 10/10 would modify cheap garbage furniture again.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

the yeti posted:

Goons, my steelcase leap v2's base has worn such that the cylinder drags the floor now.

As I understand it htat means the interface between the base and the gas cylinder is worn or defomed, so my plan was to remove the base, shim the gas cylinder, and put ti back together to get it back to where it would have been new.

I've tried disassembling it per the instructions but the gas cylinder absolutely does not tap out of the center of the base like it's apparently supposed to. To the point that I see metal deformation on the lip where you're instructed to hammer on it. Y'all have any ideas on a better way to approach this that's not "buy replacement parts" ?

I am not a Professional Chairman. However, without seeing it in person and getting a look at it myself, my opinion from my mechanical maintenance days is "If brute force isn't working, you're probably not using enough"

Edit: if you've got a buddy that's into cars or garage things, you might ask them if they have any penetrating oil or Kroil lying around. A couple drops and a few hours might help loosen the friction fit up a bit.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 18, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

the yeti posted:

That's what I thought! "why use a clawhammer" i mused, "I have a 3 pound sledge around here somewhere" --really the lip of the thing isn't made to really wail on, it is indeed just a lip and it'll start to deform one way or the other if i just flat out pound on it.

I think it needs something like WD-40 or a real penetrating oil to break the grime down and loosen the interface but I wanted to ask around before I keep messing with it.

Oh, I see, there's only a small place to hit and it's a lip/flange? That's a bummer.

Could try placing a piece of 2x4 over the metal lip and then hit the wood. Not sure how thick the lip is, but the lip should dig into the wood instead of deforming, thereby protecting it to some degree.

the yeti posted:

What I wish I had is a bearing press :black101:

NOW you're thinkin' with portals!

Edit again: I wonder if there's room around the lip to get a piece of pipe in there and hit that

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 18, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

Can I ask a favor? I would like someone who has an Aeron size B or C to please get an actual tape measure and tell me how high the seat pan will go at the highest. Different places on the Herman Miller website give a maximum height of "20.5 inches" and "579mm" (22.8 inches). The first of these is definitely not tall enough for me, the second might be...

I've got an Aeron C sitting across the room. Do you want the TOP of the seat pan (along the edge I guess) or the BOTTOM of the seat pan at the front (where it curves downward)?

If you wanna take a picture and circle where you want the measurement taken at, that works too.

Edit: This is for a "Classic" Aeron C.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Should mention that depending of the era chair you measure it may have a single or dual stage pneumatic cylinder which will also cause the variance in height. The old gen 1 Aeron I had since the mid 00's had a dual but when the time came to replace it they only offered single stage as a replacement at the time probably due to stock.

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that!

The chair I've got is from circa 2015 or so, if that helps.