Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I found my current chair sitting next to the dumpster by my building. I was just moving in so I thought that was a great temporary solution but I'm still using it years later. It's surprisingly pretty decent and I never had any discomfort even sitting like 16 hours in it during the lockdown now.

Still, I have the Steelcase Leap in the office that I was hoping to pick up when they replace them but that's not happening any time soon. Has anyone had luck getting a chair from ebay/craigslist? Or since this is mostly a business thing, are there better places to look for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

Iirc the marketing was specifically about how people constantly sit like loving idiots so they designed the gesture.

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No idea how it's supposed to work. I have the Leap at work and that addresses #3, #7 and kind of #2 by letting you push the back past the initial resistance and recline further without it pushing you back up too much. This is pretty nice, my home chair doesn't work like that. Otherwise I can't see what it could do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've had one from Ikea for years now and it's not showing any signs of wear. However it's gotten pretty gross from stuff getting on/under it so I should probably replace it...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So my dumpster-dive chair is holding up surprisingly well but since I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future I've been looking for something better. We have Steelcase Please at the office and I'm pretty happy with them, but I was ably to find this unknown model for reasonably cheap:
Steelcase ????

They also have the Vitra Axess

And the Vitra MedalPal

As this is some kind of outlet store they don't have many details. Is there anything I should ask/look out for? They're not too far away so I'll probably be able to go check them out in person.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The goon that pointed me this way recommended some roller blade style wheels, notating that they're drat near silent so I plan on checking those out. Outside of that, are there any recommendations? I currently have a thick mat in my cart, hoping that the thickness cuts down on the noise, but people buy it more so that they don't ruin their wood floors. This is the exact listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DCMF9GL/?coliid=IIYOVBILBC8JF&colid=143DHQC1RI6OC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Speaking of mats and wheels, I've had a transparent pad from Ikea under my chair for a few years and when I replaced it because got gross, they hardwood floor under it was pretty messed up :( I guess something got underneath it. Since I already got the new mat I put it there, but are these wheels generally safer? I'm still concerned that if any crap got on the wheel, it'd scratch up the floor anyway. I'm not really concerned about the noise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well never mind, I went over to their warehouse and they had the Think that I got for like 250 thanks to a little imperfection in the fabric.

Even the arm rests slide around in XY, I don't think our office Please did that. I haven't tried it but Im pretty sure this feels better than sex.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 30, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa!

Is it just the color? I guess I'm used to the Steelcase orange/blue/green from our office so it looks normal to me. In terms of shape it's way nicer than Please at least. The Leap looks nicer but they didn't have and and who knows what would that cost.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LODGE NORTH posted:

Im thinking about picking up the IKEA ALEFJÄLL tomorrow. I currently have a gamer chair that seemingly every single YouTuber has, but it has a lot of weird or unnecessary “features” whereas the Alefjall style seems more suited for what I do and where Im at in life. It seems ridiculous using this verbiage when talking about a computer chair, but it seems pretty nice. Anyone have this chair and have any thoughts?

I think that's the chair a friend of mine got just recently. He seemed pretty happy with it although I'm not sure I'd be able to live with the low back and lack of headrest

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

Anyone have a Steelcase Think (v2)? I can get one pretty cheap but I'm just curious to know how comfortable it is for sitting on for extended periods of time for general computer use and gaming.

I know Steelcase is a pretty good, expensive brand but I don't know much about this stuff at all.

mobby_6kl posted:

Well never mind, I went over to their warehouse and they had the Think that I got for like 250 thanks to a little imperfection in the fabric.

Even the arm rests slide around in XY, I don't think our office Please did that. I haven't tried it but Im pretty sure this feels better than sex.
A few days later I realized that something wasn't quite right. I had to screw around more with the lumbar thing and seat position but it feels good again now. Unfortunately I think the only way to be sure is use one for a whole day. I spend around 20 minutes testing the different models but that will won't tell you how'd you feel after 8 hours.

Zarin posted:

drat, $10, that's a hella value!
Not as good as $0, which is what my previous chair cost me at the dumpster!

I later found out it's a mid-rangeish chair worth about 150-200 new. It's actually pretty comfortable (I like the butt-shaped seat) but has limited adjustments.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

2 year warranty so it's mostly worthless like most gamer chairs. PU leather is generally disliked because it'll start peeling relatively quickly and then your chair looks like poo poo in addition to being a poor sitting experience. Actual ergonomics may still be questionable even if they claim to have added lumbar support.

The general rule of thumb is get something with a 10+ year warranty so you know it's not going to fall apart anytime soon, Steelcase and Herman Miller are the most commonly recommended brands but there are newer companies if you look around. If you're on a budget you look for one of those secondhand or hit up IKEA, the Markus is a big cheap chair designed to last but they've also recently introduced an upgraded version for more ergonomic support as well.
Ars had a review of some gaming chairs and apparently they aren't too bad. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/10/gaming-chair-shootout-secretlab-omega-vs-anda-fnatic/

Although yeah PU is a gently caress and I would avoid like hell. The real leather option is too expensive for a gimmicky gaming chair.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Is there anything in the MARKUS price/quality range that has adjustable armrests? I'm fuckin short (5'3") so I need a chair with adjustable armrest and seat height, and very importantly, seat depth. I finally realized the reason almost no chairs are comfortable for me is that because of the depth, I can't actually sit against the back of the chair. Going through used inventory isn't really an option for me right now, and I'm willing to go with something that won't last for ages because of that.

(I wasn't able to take home the Leap from my office. :()

My old dumpster chair had adjustable armrests (height only). I don't know if it's available wherever you are but I think it was the OfficePro Calypso and seems to be a bit cheaper than the Markus. For the price (I mean the retail not free dumpster diving) I think it's a pretty decent option. It held up pretty well, unlike my last PU Ikea chair that started flaking and then failed in all other possible ways within a year or two.

In any case I'd recommend trying to pick up a used HM or Steelcase chair from a liquidator as that's almost certainly going to be a better chair and value. I'm really pleased with my Please.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Steelcase Please Think has some kind of rail mounting system at the top of the back where you attach the headrest or the coat hanger or whatever. So theoretically you might be able to fabricate something to use it to attach the monitor. But yeah I don't see this being possibly rigid enough to not drive you nuts/fall apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBgF7NBei8

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 23, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I used an ikea mat on my wooden floor to protect it from scratches and it hosed it up way worse after a few years somehow, it's now full or scratches, dimples and ruts. Maybe some crap got under it, but just be careful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

I've never heard of putting a mat on a hard floor to protect it. Office chairs come with wheels designed for short pile office carpet, if you have a hard floor then you should get hard floor castors for the chair, which have a soft 'tyre' on them (you can dent it with a fingernail) and will roll on hard floors rather than scrape along them. They're also really quiet.

You can buy the wheels from the chair manufacturer if you want, but they tend to be a standard size and I bought these for my Steelcase chair http://www.castorsunlimited.co.uk/65mm-black-soft-wheel-castor-with-18mm-tower-and-choice-of-braked-or-freewheeling/, which ended up being about a third the price of the 'genuine' product.
I was concerned that the wheels, soft or not, would eventually grind various dust and particles into the wood, scratching it. Guess joke's on me now :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

Does anybody have a surefire way to buy hard floor casters for a Leap V2? The ones on the Steelcase website are over 100 dollars (:pwn:) and the only other ones with a decent amount of reviews on Amazon all say that the casters from that seller are too small and make the Leap's center support touch the ground. I tried calling the office furniture refurbisher I bought the chair from a few years ago but they only have the casters for carpet, not for hard floors

Aliexpress? There's all sorts of casters to choose from. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/330...ontent=38908697

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nohearum posted:

Has anyone added a headrest to their Steelcase Leap V2? Having some neck issues right now and I'm wondering if a headrest would help.

I have the Think with the headrest. Although I don't think I have neck issues, I find it very usefu at times to support the head especially when reclined. Otherwise I'd go have to hold it up at weird angle. I'd definitely recommend it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If it's some guy on Facebook selling it, try to bargain. I got $50 off my Think V2 (I think, made in 2016) based on some tiny damage to fabric and a headrest that was popping out a bit, and that was a furniture reseller.

The reclining angle can't be fixed on these either, but I found that one of the settings usually does what I want. The resistance on the last one is just right to basically maintain any angle with no effort too.

Thanks Ants posted:

I was always told to get your legs at right angles to your thighs, feet flat on the floor. If this isn't the right height for your desk then either lift the chair up and get a footrest, or you need a higher desk.
I was having a similar issue too, before realizing that when the height was right to match my table, it was too far from the floor for my feet to rest properly. I didnt get a footrest yet, but just putting my feet on the wheel legs removes all the pressure from the thighs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FrontRowSeat posted:

Is that a good thing? I'm guessing so. As in they move with you, providing support along the way and you don't even have to think about it?

Good to know. My current chair has no armrests and in some ways I think that might be good. With another chair that does have them, I noticed when I slouch and rest my elbows on them, it pushes my shoulders up and results in my neck/trapezius muscles getting tighter.
I do that sometimes too, but when I'm sitting properly, the armrests do help to remove tbe tension, and the adjustable ones are much better than the fixed ones imo. I just wish there was a way to lock them in place sometimes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fell off a truck?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Make sure to try the chair before buying it:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped by the office for the first time in ages and noticed that there are a few HM chairs among the standard Steelcase Please models. I'm now sitting on one and my butt and back seem to agree with it even more than the Think V2 I got.

HM stuff is pretty hard to come by here but I'll try to keep an eye on them. Can anyone tell if this is a Mirra? I don't know what's up with the not just labeling chairs with the c!ear name.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone here using a HM Celle?

I've posted about the Think V2 and while it's a great chair in terms of quality and adjustability, it just doesn't agree with my body as well as the Mirra we had at the office. I can't find a Mirra anywhere right now, but there's a store that sells refurbished Celles like this

I'd need to sell the Think and then throw in another hundred something bucks but if it's actually better it might be worth it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

I've sat on a Celle and it was alright, but I think the chair falls into the category of "chair that companies can buy to say they have Herman Miller chairs" without being that good in terms of value. The Mirra 2, Aeron and Embody are the premium ones really.
Oof that's good to know, thanks! At least I won't have to worry about this upgrade :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

which is why i'm not framing it as "lol 2k is loose change, you poors" but one of the most important decisions you can make for your short term comfort and long term health. a great chair is just as important to somebody with an e-mail job as boots are to a logger; it's literally PPE. if your back hurts from sitting in whatever $50 Office Max piece of poo poo your rear end in a top hat boss provides, it isn't gonna get better as you turn 30, 40, 50, etc. $2k every 20+ years is goes a long way in preventing a potential lifetime of pain and many tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills, which your rear end in a top hat boss also doesn't give a poo poo about. hell, Herman Miller has a 30 day return policy. Buy it locally from Design Within Reach or whoever (the only price for HM stuff is MSRP , minus the twice-yearly 10% off sale), try it for a few weeks. if you don't feel an improvement by week 2, return it and try something else. my back started feeling better the same day! life is too short to sit yourself to death so your rear end in a top hat boss can send his kids to USC.

i spent nearly two decades with an ankle problem that would keep me up at night, and a ~$40 Humanscale rocking foot rest cured it almost entirely within two weeks. i'll be an insane ergonomics advocate until I die now.

The thing is, you don't even have to spend $2k to get a good chair. As myself and others posted before here, you can get as-new HM or Steelcase chairs for ~$300 from a liquidator or an auction all day long. That's still not nothing if you already have a functional chair but much easier to justify for just about everyone with a computer job.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Steelcase has a bunch of non-mesh chair too. The ergonomics are different but not necesserily better or worse, just need to try it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, the knockoffs are only a couple thousand. have you never encountered a velben good before in your entire life? the entire point is that they are expensive, silly goose.
Hell you can get one from AliExpress for $500: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...2e-7f45af21dbc3

I almost pulled the trigger on it too before realizing all the reviews were fake and uses stock or catalog photos lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't get into a modern airliner if you don't like adhesives

Those are superior aviation-grade adhesives though

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SkyeAuroline posted:

I have a Mazda 3 hatchback (same usable interior volume as the sedan) and I was able to take my Aeron home without putting any seats down or anything else.

I moved my Steelcase Please in a miata. But then you can fit anything into it really.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you have a small pipe you could just use it for more leverage. In the second video he uses a ratchet (like https://www.amazon.com/DURATECH-90-Tooth-Quick-release-Ratchet-Handle/dp/B094FJ7LS3) with an allen bit in some sort of adapter. Then what looks like an impact driver.

I think you should be fine just using more force, just make sure the allen key is fully inserted and doesn't round the screw. A ratchet or an impact would be even better if you have them. Usually the main problem with stuck bolts that break on cars for example is rust, this should be a big issue here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CapnAndy posted:

What's the most indestructible chair in the sub $500 range?

I am certainly a big fat internet nerd, but my weight of 235-ish pounds is well within any chair's normal tolerance. The problem is, I like to slouch. I like to tuck one leg under myself. I like to lean all my weight on one side. I am a chair murderer. After snapping office chair after office chair that did the cheapo thing of attaching the seat and back to each other only through a shared connection to the plastic armrests, I got an Arozzi gaming chair, because it had lovely all metal construction, including the back attaching to the seat via two beefy metal rods that were welded directly to the seat.

And it's served valiantly. I've had it for four years, but it's been getting increasingly wobbly, and today after it entirely gave up the ghost and tipped over on me, I found at least one of the causes. In a truly astounding feat of how-the-gently caress-did-I-do-that mystery, one of the entirely metal and very sturdy chair legs has been twisted to a degree that it can no longer get the wheel into any sort of meaningful contact with the ground.

Pictured: Chair murder. That wheel should be entering the leg parallel to the floor, not at a 45 degree angle.

So... any recommendations for chairs you don't think even I could kill, or should I just accept that it had a good run and re-buy from Arozzi again? Because I know, I know, gaming chairs are awful, but honestly I quite liked this one, and when I look at something like this, I see the really thin metal connecting the seat to the back and it just looks like a break waiting to happen.

I'd just look at the same B2B chairs that HM, Steelcase, Vitra. I'm half your weight so :shrug: but they're built to be robust and have solid warranty and replacement part availability.

dew worm posted:

Thoughts head rests? I found a place selling used Steelcase chairs for $200-$300. I believe they were the amias and V1.

They felt very nice but none of them head rests. I’m wondering how useful they are for sitting 8+ hours a day.
It's not absolutely necessary I suppose but I'm glad I have it on my Think. Probably depend on the way you use and sit in it. When sitting mostly upright and typing, I generally don't rely on the headrest. But it can be nice to lean back and rest my head on it a little when reading or watching a video or something.

Not sure about those specific chairs but on the Think it's optional and something you can add later yourself, though mine came with it.

E: here it is. The height is adjustable and the headrest itself can be rotated to move the support closer or farther

mobby_6kl posted:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 15, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also refurbished chairs are in the ~$300 range as well for all sort of pro-tier models

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

The Steelcase Gesture and Humanscale Freedom both have arm rests that can go very low
Don't know if Gesture goes much lower, but the Think and Please don't adjust enough.

I get around it by holding it a bit more at an angle like a classical guitar.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I sit in a big chair with my wife :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xgalaxy posted:

So my Embody got delivered today and there is a slight issue.

On the seat portion a small thread or two in one spot looks slightly pulled or pilled up.
I don't really want to go through the hassle of sending this back. I guess I'll chat with customer service.
I'm hoping I can get a needle and maybe push it back in or hide it better.

I had a little thread sticking out on my Think as well and I just cut it off with scissors. It's not visible or getting worse either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's getting cold again. Are there any chairs with built-in heating?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

infraboy posted:

First world problems: Ordered my Embody maybe a few days late so i'll have to wait until first week of June to get my chair so now i'm stuck with an Aeron Classic like a poor person for a few more weeks.

I think I prefer the Mirra 2 in the office but I already have a Think at home :qq:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatman1683 posted:

Is the Mirra 2 still the go-to recommendation for all-mesh chairs? I'm getting ready to retire my Leap and I definitely want to go mesh this time.

We have the Mirra 2 in the office together with the older Please and I have a Think at home. I can't really say I prefer the mesh itself, but I do find it a bit more comfortable for the butt to sit on. Reclining seems to take more force which is annoying. In terms of quality they've been all very solid.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fatman1683 posted:

What's the issue with the seat pan on the Aeron? I've never sat in one.

Can you elaborate on what you don't like about the mesh?
It's not that I don't like it, but I don't feel like it makes much of a difference. At least vs the Steelcase chair, where the fabric is very thin and breathable anyway, if that's the concern.

Also the Mirras don't have a headrest. Not sure if it's optional, but I miss being to just fully fall back sometimes.
I think it's more the shape of the seat, on the Think it feels like (though it might not be ) it's angled forward slightly and I need to make an an effort to stay in place. Might be a perception though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like the smartest way to get an Embody

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mofabio posted:

1. cum, 2. farts

They said flaws, not features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Steelcase seem to have a 15% discount on most if not all chairs at least, you probably have to use an affiliate link here: https://arstechnica.com/shopping/2023/08/dealmaster-labor-day-discounts-on-steelcase-chairs-lg-oled-tvs-lenovo-laptops-and-more/