Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Can anyone recommend a small, $300 (or less)-ish chair that could fit better in this space than my current one?

Thing is too big for my room :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Oh my god. I thought I got such a good deal at Office Depot getting the Realspace Calusa chair for half off ($99 instead of $195), and I put this whole drat thing together (it's heavy as poo poo by the end of it), sat down, and four of the loving wheels popped off.

I have never been this pissed off and exhausted. gently caress you Office Depot :argh:

e: nevermind, just needed to put more force into it :negative:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

thanks to a combination of lovely tiny NYC apartments, all office furniture in the world being backordered, and needing to work for 8 hours a day in relative privacy in my room, I've now got a comically small "standing desk" setup assembled on top of my dresser. I've been looking for some kind of standing desk "seating" to go along with it

does anyone have experience with leaning stools for standing desks? mostly looking for something to take pressure off my knees - I've actually got a standing desk mat so my feet are fine, but after a week of using this for 4-5 hours a day my knees are pretty ache-y. was looking at this fully one but I guess Fully is one of those companies that just gets white labeled furniture and then spams review blogs with bullshit and I can't find any actual reviews from people who have actually, uh, used one. budget is something like <$200, since I'm hoping this is a relatively short-term situation (not so much that I'm expecting to go back to the office but that I'm hopefully moving apartments in a few months).

because this poo poo is built on top of a dresser, I've got the caveat that anything built with the expectation that I'd be putting my feet under the desk isn't viable. I was also thinking of just getting, like, a regular stool, that has a foot ring to put your feet on, or even a drafting chair like this (though I'm wary of any high chair that has wheels on it since it seems like a good way to horribly injure myself).

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

super long shot, but anyone have any thoughts on this Fully Desk Chair? they're running a 15% off sale, and I like my Fully desk so I trust them a bit more than random brands on Amazon/Wayfair/Staples/whatever. literally the only review I've found of it is Wirecutter saying it's a reasonable alternative to the HON Ignition (which looks to have awful QC), but I don't really trust Wirecutter with this kinda thing anymore. it's a relabeled version of the "Able Desk Co Desk Chair" (which is another brand Fully owns for some reason) if anyone's tried that.

having a really loving bad time trying to find a chair for under $1000 right now. would be willing to go up to $600 or so but I'm in NYC with no car with COVID rates spiking, so there's zero way for me to get any kind of secondhand furniture, and no one seems to have any ideas on midrange chairs. I'd even get a loving Secretlab at this point if the Titan with fabric wasn't backordered until January :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I remember trying the Hyken in store a while ago and really disliking it. I think I ended up getting a Carder, which mostly sucked and I left behind when I moved places because it didn't seem worth it.

The thing with the Hyken is that I don't think I can do a pure mesh seat. I don't need to completely sink into a gamer throne, but I'm at this desk for both work during the day and gaming at night, so I think I need something with some cushioning. Similar concerns about that Quantum :(

Going way to the top end of my budget, I noticed the Knoll ReGeneration is on sale (I guess it's the same company as Fully, so it's the same 15% off). That's around $600 - Wirecutter says it's good only if you fit it well, but is a bit unclear on what that fit means. Probably not worth it in a time where I can't try things out and returns are a huge pain in the rear end, bleh.

otoh... the secretlab titan in black fabric just popped back in stock...... maybe it's time to go Full Gamer...

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 21, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

yeah, my worry was mostly just long periods of sitting. i've had mesh chairs in offices in the past that seemed to really dig into me in unpleasant ways, to the point that, like, i've had mesh chairs i couldn't even wear shorts in because the undersides of my thighs would get kinda messed up against the mesh (a serious concern for wfh in my underwear :v:)

maybe that was just a bad chair and bad luck more than a sign that mesh seats are always bad, but i've been a bit cautious since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Gesture rules. Embody drools. Freedom is alright. I have spoken anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong and broken or alternatively sits differently and/or has a different body than me. The issue is even if you try them in the store you won't really know for sure until you have a nice long sit and even then there's so much you can fiddle with you can wonder if your settings are just wrong.

yeah, i went with a gesture on sale kind of blind and while i don't think i regret this purchase much, i don't think i would have gotten it if i had been able to try it out first. definitely have the same problem someone else described of it constantly feeling like you're being tilted out of the chair - i find i struggle to keep my feet planted on the ground like i normally would because of it, no matter how much i adjust the seat pan depth :( (like, all the pressure goes to my legs in a really awkward way because of how far "forward" i feel, so i end up kinda hovering my feet just to relieve pressure on them - not really a height problem, or a footrest-solvable problem, i don't think)

that said, it's doing me okay for the pandemic and i think i might be able to sell it and recoup a lot of its value, since there's high demand here in nyc (hopefully will still be post pandemic as well). will only bother selling it if i can actually find a chair i like more anyways