Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I got a Secretlab Titan Evo last year in march and it's been pretty good, but I'm starting to feel like I fell for GAMER marketing. I'm finding things about it not able to adjust the way I want, the swivel on the chair is starting to make creaking sounds, and just in general I think maybe it's already breaking down. Fwiw, I wasn't paying attention and bought the Regular version instead of the XL version and I'm a big lardass so I might just be over-stressing the chair. I was looking at the Logitech themed Herman Miller Embody, but if Secretlab is actually a decent brand and I just bought the wrong model for my weight, then I'd probably rather save the ton of money and get an appropriate one of them.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've posted in here once or twice before, but didn't make a purchase afterwards. However, now that I'm having to go to physical therapy for some issues and my posture has been brought up it's probably best if I finally bite the bullet and get a proper ergonomic chair.

My mind immediately goes to Herman-Miller and Steelcase, and I've used their chairs at work before. I'm currently using an original Leap at work and at a previous job used the Embody, and I like both. The Steelcase is currently cheaper though, so I'm inclined to go with them. I'm not sure if the Gesture is better than the Leap or not honestly, and now I see there is a chair called the Karman that's even a little bit cheaper. I'm 6'1"(185cm) and around 300lbs (136kg).

Does anyone have opinions on the Steelcase Karman? My initial gut feeling is to just go for the top of the line loaded out Gesture with headrest, but a Karman or Leap would save me some money and if they're comparable ergonomically then that might make more sense to do. I live in flyover country, so there aren't any tech start-ups liquidating last year's chairs for me to scoop something up for a couple hundo, and to my knowledge there are no showrooms here either.

I'm currently using a Secretlab Titan Evo at home and it's "fine," but I really do need more adjustment options than this chair provides. Hopefully that provides an idea of the kind of ergonomic options I'm coming from and what I'm trying to get into. The other consideration is I have four cats, and one of them has recently decided that my desk chair feels great to scratch on, so I'd like opinions on what fabric would be best to either stand up to a cat trying to scratch or will be less enticing to that action.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 18, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

What's the lifespan on the seat of a Steelcase Leap V2? Mine isn't feeling very good on my butt and legs lately. I've had the chair for 12 years I think.

Well it has a 12 year warranty, so arguably it should last that long at a minimum.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Update: I had forgotten a Herman Miller Gaming Embody existed and it came out cheaper than a Steelcase Gesture, so I ordered that. Generally it feels great, though the seat pan feels like it’s slight tilted forwards and I do wish I could tilt that back just a bit, but it’s probably just from me being used to having a seat pan slightly tilted backwards. I’m also getting a bit of sciatic pain after sitting for a while, but again I assume it’s from adjusting to sitting properly.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

corgski posted:

My job just gave me permission to buy a new desk chair with the caveat that it has to be something Office Depot sells. So no Steelcase or Herman Miller. Any other brands I should be looking at?

We have some knock-off Aerons at work made by Eurotech called the Ergohuman, https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/365269/Raynor-Ergohuman-High-Back-Ergonomic-Mesh/. They seem fine, though I rescued a perfectly fine Steelcase Leap that was being thrown out and use it instead.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I'm 73-74" tall, 300-ish lbs (fat AND big) and the Embody is perfect for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I have the white/green Herman Miller X (pronounced cross) Logitech gamer Embody and I love it, especially since it was cheaper than the regular Embody and supposedly has a better foam on for the seat. Doesn't look like a ridiculous racer car seat either.