Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Man I wish I just took a Mirra 2 with me when I left my old job a couple years ago like a couple other people I know. Every time I try to buy one used these days they say they'll sell it, but then stop replying to messages until asking for several hundred dollars more a couple hours later. I'm guessing they usually got them from work for wfh over the past couple years and have no idea what's up until they get multiple people wanting to buy it.

How strict is the HM warranty with regards to buying second-hand? Whenever they raise the price closer to retail I usually back off because for $500 I'm okay with no warranty, but not so much when it's closer to retail. It feels like the chances are good that they're not allowed to sell them and the serial number is flagged as missing or something, so I'd be SOL even if they didn't need a sales receipt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've had an alert set up for Herman Miller chairs for the past year and finally got a Mirra 2 today for $550 USD with all the bells and whistles. The chair it was replacing was 13 years old this August has been getting so bad with aggravating my sciatica. The Mirra feels just as fine as when I used one in the office for a decade, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's from there since the guy I got it from started at my old company recently. He said he wanted to "upgrade" to a gaming chair, lmao.

Sounds like warranty service isn't on the table so I took it apart for a deep clean and retightened everything. Now it feels even more solid than when I hung out with the guy for an hour waiting for the eTransfer to go through and we were able to shoot the poo poo about work and I was even able to do stuff from my old workflow from muscle memory which is spooky.

Are there any maintenance guides for upkeep, lubrication and repair? I'm gonna try to get 20 years out of this thing.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Apropos of nothing but I’ve always found the Aeron is pretty good to slouch in, using the top of the back as a dot of headrest for the base of your skull. Sounds painful but actually pretty decent at the office.

This was my default position with a Mirra 2 on lazy days, and it feels so good to be able to do it again.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Guess how I found an error in the Mirra 2 service manual when the arms I thought I tightened came loose. Fortunately I don't have a torque wrench at the moment so I didn't end up stripping the hell out of the T40 bolt in an attempt to get it up to 330 inch-pounds.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm a coward and went with a Mirra 2 instead of saving up more for an Embody because I'd already been sitting in one for years at work with no problems in a range of different postures. While in the showroom you only get so much time with it and it's not a fair comparison, and I wonder if I just had more time with it I might have liked the Embody more.

I ended up going with the devil I know and after a month I still think about how I should have upgraded my home chair sooner. No more sciatica flareups or, in the worst case when I'm stressed and hunched over the computer all night writing papers or studying for finals, my back locking up like iron. I can't wait to start doing deadlifts again.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

which is why i said seat pan!

it’s a 20 minute job of turning allen keys and philips screws if you aren’t a stupid rear end in a top hat who struggles with ikea instructions. the aeron is incredibly easy to work on and replace broken/worn parts. it’s the one thing it has over the embody, which is not nearly as user serviceable

Just make sure to physically double check you're using the right torx/hex bits, because even the official dealer manual struggles with keeping things right. >=(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Three hundred comes to 27.5 ft-lbs which seems about right - that's about the same amount of force needed to seat a square taper crankset onto a bottom bracket. If I tried torquing that hard with a T30 bit I would have chewed up the bolt even more than it already was.

Makes sense for it to be that tight because it's a metal arm supporting potentially a lot of weight. Unfortunately the torque wrenches I do have were too low or high range.