Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Elem7 posted:

Finally got the Leap I ordered in November, holiday shipping shenanigans.

First impressions are great. When I went to the show room originally to try it out all there was on site were other Steelcase chairs to compare to directly and honestly they were all pretty similar, outside of adjustability, and nothing stood out to any great degree. Now that I can move directly from my lovely, but well reviewed online, $400 HON chair to the leap I actually note a big difference in the support, comfort, and my posture in the Leap, its much better. I opted for their polyester fabric which I'm liking a lot, super soft, appears like it would cleanup just as well as vinyl or leather, but its actually nice against bare skin unlike those.

I went to a showroom thinking I’d get a Herman Miller but after trying out different models and leap 2 I just couldn’t help but feel like the leap is just way more comfortable for me, it’s more more adjustable too.

Did you get the first leap or v2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Branch Nvidian posted:

I've posted in here once or twice before, but didn't make a purchase afterwards. However, now that I'm having to go to physical therapy for some issues and my posture has been brought up it's probably best if I finally bite the bullet and get a proper ergonomic chair.

My mind immediately goes to Herman-Miller and Steelcase, and I've used their chairs at work before. I'm currently using an original Leap at work and at a previous job used the Embody, and I like both. The Steelcase is currently cheaper though, so I'm inclined to go with them. I'm not sure if the Gesture is better than the Leap or not honestly, and now I see there is a chair called the Karman that's even a little bit cheaper. I'm 6'1"(185cm) and around 300lbs (136kg).

Does anyone have opinions on the Steelcase Karman? My initial gut feeling is to just go for the top of the line loaded out Gesture with headrest, but a Karman or Leap would save me some money and if they're comparable ergonomically then that might make more sense to do. I live in flyover country, so there aren't any tech start-ups liquidating last year's chairs for me to scoop something up for a couple hundo, and to my knowledge there are no showrooms here either.

I'm currently using a Secretlab Titan Evo at home and it's "fine," but I really do need more adjustment options than this chair provides. Hopefully that provides an idea of the kind of ergonomic options I'm coming from and what I'm trying to get into. The other consideration is I have four cats, and one of them has recently decided that my desk chair feels great to scratch on, so I'd like opinions on what fabric would be best to either stand up to a cat trying to scratch or will be less enticing to that action.

I’d just but whatever you have at work. Perhaps leap 2 instead of the original one. Ideally you want to go to a showroom to try sitting in as many chairs as you can, but it’s also really hard to know if the chair is really right for you just from sitting in it for a few minutes.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Alarbus posted:

Yeah I went to a local (ish) place that does Steelcase for corporate clients, and tried the Leap and the Gesture. I really did not like the Leap, and was reminded that's what we had when I was in an office. The Gesture felt great to me right away. I ordered it through them, and got some color options that weren't on Steelcase's website, and the price was ~$300 less than the website too. Just waiting for it to show up at this point.

Nice. How come you didn’t like the leap though?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Any UK goons got a rec for a chair you can get here for cheap. Must be maximum comfort for the money which would be around £120-130 tops. Thank thee you sweet, sweet goons

You can’t really get anything actually good for that price. I’d suggest just searching for an office chair on Facebook marketplace and hope to find a Herman Miller/Steelcase chair for cheap since lots of people don’t know how much those cost, and often when companies close down they just sell those chairs for really cheap.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I ended up returning my leap 2 today and got a Mirra 2. Despite initially liking leap 2 a lot I just couldn’t sit in it for a long time, it felt like it was comfortable but not supporting anything (probably wrong).

I think it’s the lack of proper sacral support. On the Mirra you can literally feel it poke into your tailbone which I actually really like. And Mirra is what I use at work so I already know it works great for my body.

Also even though I initially didn’t really care about the rocking motion on the HM chairs, it’s actually really nice and now I find myself doing it very often. I have a feeling this also helps with back pain since you’re constantly moving and engaging your abs.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Happiness Commando posted:

I tried an Embody today and it felt kind of underwhelming. The first time I sat down in a Leap I immediately exclaimed 'ooh that's good' but the embody was... totally fine, I think, but that's it.

And I need a new chair. I have a Steelcase think and I'm not a fan.

Honestly that’s how I felt with the leap too. But both HM chairs that I’ve tried for a long period of time have felt better if you sit for many hours at a time. The leap feels like a good, comfortable chair with lots of customization whereas both Sayl and Mirra that I’ve used initially don’t feel like anything special, and I’d expect most people to feel underwhelmed by them, considering the price, but then once you get used to them you don’t want to use anything else.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. On paper the Mirra literally has a plastic back and when you first lean back in it I can definitely see why someone wouldn’t find it comfortable. But it works so well, for me at least, that I don’t get tired sitting in it for a whole day at work and then a couple of hours at home gaming.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I love my Mirra 2

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Leo posted:

After ~6 months each in a Leap v2, Aeron, Embody, Cosm and Mirra v2 I've decided the Mirra is the best chair for me. I wanted to like the Embody the best, but I could never get it to stop feeling like it was fighting me when trying to maintain good posture.

The Mirra is by far the best for posture and the best lower back / lumber support. I wish I could combine the back of the Mirra with the seat of the Embody.

Did you try them all at work? Or were you buying and returning them? Seems like a lot of chairs… glad you found the one that works though.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

corgski posted:

My job just gave me permission to buy a new desk chair with the caveat that it has to be something Office Depot sells. So no Steelcase or Herman Miller. Any other brands I should be looking at?

Wtf, convince them to pay for a used Herman miller if it’s the price they’re worried about. Doesn’t have to be from a person if you need the receipt as there’re companies selling used/refurbished chairs as well.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Cocaine Bear posted:

Looking to get a good chair. Taking the advice and looking for a used Herman Miller chair. I'm 6'6" and about 250 (not fat, just v big). Any giants here have experience with these chairs?

I'm 6'3" and I love my mirra 2. I initially bought leap 2 but couldn't get used to it, maybe I'm too tall for it.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Cocaine Bear posted:

Thanks sexy tall goons! I ended up liberating a beat up Aeron from the office and replaced the cylinder with an extra long one and threw some sick rollerblade wheels on it. My feet are flat on the ground and my back doesn't hurt as much already. The weird mesh is also quite good at keeping my balls cool.

That’s not a Mirra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Thanks Ants posted:

Herman Miller (UK) are having another 20% off sale until the 16th, with an extra 5% using code HMSALE5. Replaced the Steelcase Think I bought used in 2011 with a Mirra 2 with all the options (butterfly fabric back, lumbar support, seat tilt, seat depth, hard floor and carpet combo castors) and paid £830 inc. VAT and delivery.

Mirra is great