Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

It's odd to see goons turn on the aeron when it used to be I had only heard of it because goons loved it so much.

Admittedly, the only person that's "turned" on the Aeron is me, and a lot of people in this thread are repeating my advice.

I work in the furniture industry for an office chair manufacturer and I daily talk to ergonomists that HATE the Aeron and have seen firsthand that it causes RSI. And I've met people who were part of the design process of the Aeron - it was never, ever intended to even be an ergonomic chair and was never (initially) marketed as one. It was supposed to be a conference room chair. Plus it's now two decades old and a lot of much, much better chairs have been designed since then.

It is a terrible chair? No - you can do worse, a LOT worse. Are there much, much better chairs for the same price and less? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Anyone here ever replace their pneumatic cylinder on Aerons?

I'm mid-replacement dealing with a portion of it stuck into the tilt mechanism. It actually separated on me so I had that plus the column of the cylinder stuck in the base which I was able to remove earlier today. The last few hours however have been unsuccessful in removing the cylinder from the chair itself. I've been hammering with a rubber mallet the chair's bottom while pulling the cylinder firmly or hammering from the top with 3/8 drive bit since that's all I have that comes close to the diameter and using a plumber wrench to try twisting it out and of course WD-40 in between it all but of course nothing to show for it except gnarled steel.

I'm probably done for today because hands are beat even with wearing work gloves and I live in an apartment and I doubt the neighbors would appreciate the noise any further.

Edit: Awesome! Picked up a proper pipe wrench today and with a bit of elbow grease and more WD-40, I was able to get the cylinder out finally. 14 years of loosened gunk on there:

Now my Aeron is almost good as new (seat frame was replaced 2 weeks ago and I'm considering getting the posture-fit thing)

You can do it with a hammer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxy9Obkso_s

Although on some older chairs, the cylinder may be so impacted that it's incredibly difficult to remove it. I've had to actually break the cylinder on several chairs to get it out.

~Coxy posted:

Does anyone else's Leap gas cylinder rub against the ground?
It's almost as low as the caster wheels, and they sink slightly into carpet obviously, so mine brushes the carpet. It's bad because it makes a black stain on the carpet as I move around.

Usually that means it's worn through the base (the 5-pointed piece that the wheels connect to). Remove it with a hammer (see the video above) and put in a "shim" - some layers of duct tape or newspaper should work. It's not a perfect fix but it's a good stopgap until you can get a new chair.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

~Coxy posted:

I'm not sure that's it; it's fairly new and has always been this way.

Here's a side view where you can see the wheels sinking into the carpet slightly and the central part skimming the surface of the carpet:

And bottom view of the central piece:

If I was to take it apart, would I be able to raise the central column physically higher?

Unless there was some severe manufacturing error, or it's just a badly designed chair, I'm fairly sure what I described IS the issue. That's the only thing that would cause the cylinder to drop further than it should through the base.

Think about it. The cylinder is made of metal. The base is made of nylon or plastic. The cylinder rubs against the base, wears it down, warps it. That pushes the cylinder further through the base than it should go, and it starts dragging on the floor. I've seen it dozens of times and this is ALWAYS the cause.

So to answer your question, yes, if you took it apart, you would be able to raise the central column physically higher - by making a shim out of tape/newspaper/whatever like I described.

Here's how to take it apart - you don't need to take the cylinder off the mechanism, just the base, so stop the video at 30 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxy9Obkso_s

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 24, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mo_Steel posted:

As this thread is about chairs and this is really a chair accessory, anyone have recommendations for chair mats for carpeted floors? I bought one of these about six months ago and the polycarbonate is already cracked to hell. I weigh 140 lbs. so it's not like I'm tipping the scales in weight distribution on this thing from me and my chair. It says "Guaranteed not to curl, crack, discolor or smell" but it cracked a bunch and the edges flex when I step on the center, making it a tripping hazard.

Those plastic things destroy carpet. Get a little area rug instead.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

smushroomed posted:

Is there a huge risk of buying a fake?

Nope. There's plenty of similar copycat chairs but I've never seen one that exactly replicated a particular popular chair like the Aeron or Leap. Their looks are very distinctive.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not to toot my own horn, but... Oh, gently caress it, I'm tooting it. PC Gamer had an article about chairs for gaming that features my company's chairs (page 2): http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-gaming-chairs/

They REALLY liked the OM5, as you can see.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PleasureKevin posted:

is this thread/sub-forum basically "buy this and this only" for hundreds of pages each?

There's so much variance in what is available from state to state that the only informed advice that can be given is to buy the best known chair that is the most widely available (Leap). So, sadly, yeah.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

This is a good article. Question about your OM5, I see that you can ajdust the armrests forward and back, and rotate them in and out, but can you also adjust their height?

I love my maxnomic because of the ability for all those adjustments on the armrests. Its also darn comfortable. Also what material are the armrests cushioning made out of?

Yes, they're height adjustable. I don't know the exact material, but I highly recommend ordering the RP45 (which is the one with the sliding armpad) armrests over the standard ones, as the RP45s are softer.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Do you guys have sales ever? The article has me convinced to try the OM5, but the 450ish ergodirect charges is still out of the range that my company will reimburse me,.

OM doesn't sell direct, so that's all up to the dealer. A little secret though - try calling up Ergodirect (or any of our authorized online retailers) and asking for a quote. They will be able to offer it to you significantly cheaper over the phone than on the website. This is due to the minimum advertised pricing policy which keeps online retailers from severely undercutting each other.

Edit: try these online retailers too:
http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/
http://www.officerelief.com/

FYI, I'm at a national rep meeting for OM right now, and they just revealed a prototype of a chair that incorporates elements of Leap-like chairs, the OM5, and traditional ergonomic chairs. It's all hush-hush for now, but this is probably the coolest most functional chair I've ever seen. I can't wait until I can talk more about it - it may not be for a while sadly.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 11, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

real_scud posted:

The armrests sadly aren't adjustable save for going up and down to whatever height you want. I thought I'd miss that since I know it's there on the newer Herman Miller's and I honestly haven't at all, mostly because I know I can lean on these at whatever angle and I don't have to worry about them suddenly moving on me.

This is no longer true actually - we have a few arms for the OM5 now. The new RP45 arms allow you to move the pads side-side, front-back, and pivoting inwards. You can order just the pads and swap them out really easily on your current OM5, call up a dealer and ask to purchase a set of RP45 pads.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just double-checking, because I'm really timid when it comes to negotiating, especially on the phone. Do you think it's reasonable to talk them down into the mid $300s? My company will reimburse me $330 for a chair, so I need to minimize how much over that I'm spending.

edit: Also, I'm 6'4" and built like a football player. Would you recommend going with the XT model instead of the regular?

It's not actually a negotiation - they will be happy to name a lower price right up front. They'd much rather sell it at the lower price, they're just not allowed to advertise it. All the online sales sites watch each other and each other's prices really closely - if they can secure your sale from them by giving you a lower price on the phone, they will do it.

That said, no, I don't think you could get it down to 330, unfortunately - they would essentially be selling it to you at a loss at that price. Especially if you get the XT version, which yes, you absolutely should if you are 6'4", as the standard OM5 will be too small. Sorry - it's reasonably priced, but it is not a budget chair by any means.

In fact I just calculated how much they would be paying OM for an OM5-XT with arms and their net price (what they buy it from OM for) is more than 330, before shipping even. :(

THAT SAID! OM's specialty chairs for tall people (OM5-XT and PTYM) are way, way cheaper than ANYONE else's chairs. You're normally paying 800+ for specialty ergonomic chairs of that size. Even $600 is a REALLY drat good price.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would just tell them that your job will reimburse you for $330 and ask if they can swing that. Seriously, they won't take it as some sort of insult, they will either say yes or tell you how low they can reasonably go.

They're not going to be insulted, but they're also definitely not going to sell it at that price.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 11, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lovelyn posted:

I could really use some help finding a good chair that fits me.

I'm 5'0" and would ideally like a chair whose seat I can position at about 13.5" as that would provide me with a comfortable 90 degree knee angle. The chair I'm sitting on now is about 15" and is just high enough to be uncomfortable (so I'm sitting cross-legged - something I'd like to avoid).

I e-mailed The Human Solution and the only chair they have that even comes close is this one. I don't mind dropping a nice chunk of change on a chair, but I'd like for it to actually fit properly.

Can anyone help me find a good chair for a petite person? Should I look at child-sized chairs? Am I doomed to always put a footrest under my feet?

You could get a footrest.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

Hey so I know you are the guy who works for the company that does the OM5. I am curious, if I wanted the best chair for gaming from you guys, what would you personally recommend? Is the PC gamer recommendation the same you would give?

Also, would the OM5 or whatever you would recommend be compatible with a butt kicker?

Depends on a few things - I'd need your height and general build to make a recommendation, and if you have any ergo issues or things like extra-long torso/legs etc. And whether you like more traditional office chairs (with a bunch of paddles) or not adjusting at all. The OM5 is a great chair that works for a wider range of people than just about any other chair, but it's not the perfect chair for everyone.

Not quite sure what a butt kicker is...?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

A butt kicker is this: http://www.buttkickergear.com/ButtKicker_Gamer2_p/bk-gr.htm

It basically just attaches to your chair and acts like an N64 rumble pack for your butt. I've heard good things and as someone who loves an immersive experience it seems promising. I see no reason your chairs wouldn't work for it but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Also as to me physically, I am 5'9", 130 lbs. I don't really have any huge issues other than having god awful posture. I would like adjustability but really only for armrests and seat height.

Ahh, it attaches to the cylinder, huh? Funky. It should work just fine with the OM5.

Sounds like the OM5 would work well for you. I'd recommend getting the RP45 arms, as they have some width adjustment on the armpads - which helps as the arms on the OM5 are a little further apart than on most chairs.

Personally, I'm a fan of the more traditional ergo chairs we sell like the PT78 and YS84, partly because I really know how to adjust them (and they cost a bit less). But the OM5 is a fine choice, and it will help with your posture as it encourages you to move around more instead of staying stuck in one position for hours.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Overlord66 posted:

Any online retailer recommendations?

http://ergodirect.com was mentioned above. Also http://officerelief.com/ and http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/ .

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

I called, got told to speak to a local distributor. Called a place and they couldn't tell me anything really, other than describing what they looked like which I already know :(

Sorry, I don't watch this thread closely sometimes. PM me, or if you don't have PMs just ask your questions here. I work for a local distributor, but I know a HELL of a lot more about the chairs and in particular the OM5 than most of the other ones.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks, I sent you a pm.

Glad I could help!

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

What are the thread's thoughts on DXRACER chairs? $300 seems like a sweet spot for me price-wise, and they certainly look comfortable (and sound comfortable from a few pro gamers' descriptions, though who knows who's sponsored by them and have to say that.) Are they worth the cash? Will they fit my tall-rear end self (6'3)?
It's a little silly/pointless that it's styled like a racecar seat as there's no ergonomic reason for that. But you can do a lot worse for $300.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Been sitting in the om5 for a couple of days. It's way too eager to recline. Maybe this works for waif people, but it's clearly not resisting my 295 pound body that well, despite being the "xt" model. I can't find anywhere to adjust how much it resists reclining, so I'm finding myself slouching forward in this thing to avoid sitting all the way back.

PM me, I may have a fix for you.

Edit: Oh wait, looks like you don't have PMs. Email me here: railocstc @ gmail.com

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Obscurity posted:

I'm about 370-380. :smith:

So basically if I conceed to a chair only lasting me a year or three I guess I'll be fine.

Edit:

Thinking about one of these 3:
http://www.bizchair.com/60-5800t-com.html
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

Pushing the chairs my company makes as usual: http://www.ergodirect.com/product_info.php?products_id=16174

24 inch wide seat, 450 lb capacity (it says 400 on that page but they just upgraded them recently). Get it with JR77 arms.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's a pair of bolts on either side of the tongue where the back attaches to the base. Loosen them, then slightly adjust the Allen bolt retaining the tongue. Then retighten them.

That one OM5 seller in here asked me to keep that quiet but he's basically disappeared and he severely misrepresented the shortcomings of the chair so I don't feel so bad about posting it.

Nah go nuts. I don't care if you tell everyone here about that if it helps them. I disappeared because I just haven't been on the SA forums much lately.

The OM5 is a good chair, but it is a very different design that doesn't work for everyone. I've never suggested it's the be-all end all of chairs. I honestly prefer our more traditional PT line. Check my post history in this thread - I NEVER brought up the OM5 first (except to brag about the PC Gamer article), other goons found it independently and asked me questions about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm genuinely sorry it didn't work for you. Not sure what else to say, except that I hope the tension adjust trick works out.