Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've been intrigued by this chair for a while now. Does anyone have one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8vgHp3Cgs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With this is mind:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

citywok posted:

I picked up an aeron for a friend and have found that i'm still slouching in it (he isn't picking it up for a couple weeks). Has anybody ever considered wearing a seatbelt to keep them from slouching? On airplanes i cinch up the seatbelt tight so i can't slouch and it seems to help a ton. I find i slouch in pretty much any chair I sit in and it causes my lower back to get sore. Just "stay sitting up" isn't enough, I notice after half an hour I've slouched and have to sit back up.

I know it sounds dorky, but it seems like a viable solution to me...

If your back is hurting then it probably good to listen to your body but just so you know slouching isn't necessarily a bad thing. From earlier I posted this:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Home.Woot has the Herman Miller Aeron in size medium for $700 right now. It may not last long because its a woot off but there you go.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And unless you have a medical reason to have a headrest, you shouldn't have one on a task chair.

Why not?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The general consensus of ergonomists is that it reduces the amount of muscle activity in your neck. Which is BAD - you want to build up those muscles with good posture. To use a headrest, you have to actively use bad posture.

Normally, when you ask 20 ergonomists for an opinion on something, you get 20 wildly different opinions. But pretty much all of them agree that headrests aren't a great idea without a specific medical need.

poo poo I didn't know that. You made my brain bigger. I assume though if you're doing the 120 degree reclined position that that one study said was easier on your spine then use a headrest there right?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ikea chairs are about on par with Office Depot/OfficeMax/Staples office chairs (cheap crap). I'm always a bit confused as to why people assume they're a better product.

Well with the Markus chair, I would be tempted to make a workstation setup where I'm leaned back 135 degrees like the latest research says is easiest on your back. The Markus is nice and high back and you could bend the frame to suit your taste if your a DIY type.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With all those drawbacks you listed, just adjust the things you're working with to fit your new position.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Ergochair 2

Anyone had experience with this chair? I had a Christmas windfall and desperately want a new computer chair.

I have one in green. It seems ok enough although I can't seem to get the back at the right angle between too much upright and just a little tilted back. Better than my Ikea Markus though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

Gotta say: getting an IKEA chair to go with the rest of my IKEA desk was not the best choice I ever made. Millberget held up for like, a year and a half before the seat pad turned harder than my actual hardwood dining chairs are, and hurts the poo poo out of my tailbone/lower back. Bafflingly, high quality tailbone cushions just make this way worse; uncomfortable to sit on, removes all back support, and somehow managed to aggravate my cubital tunnel issues in my mouse arm faster than anything ever has, including my doctor actively trying to make it hurt (while the keyboard arm, also normally affected, was perfectly fine). I feel like I'm seriously missing something here.

Nobody carries Herman Miller around here. Or Steelcase. Or anything but dozens and dozens of X2s for some godforsaken reason (it's okay but I could tell after 5-10 minutes it was not a long term solution). Short of waiting until I can scrape together enough to get an real quality office chair that's gonna have to be new to get it at all out here, what am I supposed to do to mitigate this for now? Since I already had mentioned them - no, the dining chairs are the wrong height for a desk.
I'm also dealing with this at work, but that one's on their budget and they can afford the new chairs they promised us would arrive eighteen months ago.

No Herman Miller Aeron or Mirra on the Facebook market place in the closest city? I know some offices are selling some of this stuff

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Thing is with the slow but serious damage a bad chair can do to your spine it’s worth going thru some hassle for this. Broaden your search, use searchtempest.com and eBay. If you have to, look at uship for freight shipping. What part of the country you in?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well outside Chicago, which is the closest and technically my Craigslist "city". The issue is also money, not just difficulty of reaching somewhere. $600 is already above what I can spend, let alone what I'm happy about/willing to.

See if any of these fit the bill
Aeron size B $500 in Dublin, OH https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2880474588906216/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
Aeron in Chicago $500 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/885572705535054/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
Herman Miller Mirra in Chicagol $300 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/288851249221219/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
Herman Miller Mirra 2 $500 Addison, IL https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/732016424089933/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
Herman Miller Mirras $350 Elmhurst, IL https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/785912791988096/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
Steelcase Leap V2 $350 Chicago https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2868249416793451/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined
Two steelcase leaps, one $350 and the other $300 https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/393848078454673/?ref=search&referral_code=undefined

Coredump fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 22, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

Anyone have serious opinions re: footrests?

I’ve realized that I like reclining in my new actually good chair much more than I ever did in my many years of very lovely chairs. What I do not like is propping my feet on the wall or dangling in the air when I do so.

I want something like... 18 inches, (give or take?) Off the ground, on which to prop my feet. Anything especially great in this space?

Humanscale has one that I have saved in my Amazon cart but haven't bought. That's all I got.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

disaster pastor posted:

My Hyken's headrest snapped, and I can't find the receipt to go through a warranty replacement. (Not to mention I have also never loved the chair all that much, and now that I'm working from home...)

So... what's the best office chair with a headrest? The Gesture seems fantastic but expensive as poo poo, I have coworkers telling me the SecretLab Titan is much better than expected for a "gamer chair," and the ErgoChair 2 has a mesh back but the most divided reviews I've ever seen: people either love it or they loving hate it.

I have the ergochair 2 and I'm very Meh about it. I can't seem to get it adjusted just right for me. But its better than my ikea Markus I was using.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

HeartArt posted:

I’d like to second this, but I’ll be using it a little more often. Maybe 3 times a week to start. Looking for a good budget option with a tall back or headrest. Mostly for gaming, but I dislike most of the “gamer chairs”.

Look for an IKEA Markus used and get a butt cushion.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

That Freedom chair is one that really needs to be sat in before committing. I've found that Aeron's usually agree with most people but that Freedom is more polarizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cross-Section posted:

nahhhh

if they were, I wouldn't have spent $100 over MSRP to buy a new one from an eBay reseller (to replace my old one of 7 years) because none of the Ikeas in SoCal had the Glose black one in stock at the time

it's a great chair for my weird long body

I had one for a long time. Do me a favor and add some sort of lumbar support to it. Trust me.