Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

cliffy posted:

What is everyone's opinion on the Embody? I just saw one pop up on my local craigslist for ~$500. I don't have any experience sitting in one. I currently have an Aeron which is mostly comfortable, and I like it, but extended periods can still be detrimental for my back.

I understand that sitting is not good for long periods anyway, but life as a programmer dictates some sedentary time.

Should I snatch it up? I'll definitely sit in it before making a purchase, but it's difficult to gauge the experience without sitting in it for long periods.
I have an Embody at work and an old franken-Aeron at home that I put together from parts on craigslist/ebay. After using both for about a year, I've noticed better back support with the Embody. Assuming it isn't junked out, $500 is a screaming deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Does Herman Miller always have a 15% sale in May or June? I have my eye on an Envelop desk

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
If anyone is interesting in picking up any Herman Miller product, such as the Mirra (lol), Aeron (1994 lol), or the one true chair, the Herman Miller "Embody" Total Office Ergonomic Seating Solution, the semi-annual Herman Miller sale is going on right now until June 10. 15% off everything, with most retailers offering free shipping too.

Get an Embody.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

~Coxy posted:

I'm not sure that's it; it's fairly new and has always been this way.

Here's a side view where you can see the wheels sinking into the carpet slightly and the central part skimming the surface of the carpet:

And bottom view of the central piece:

If I was to take it apart, would I be able to raise the central column physically higher?
try taller casters: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058OKO2W

I have them on my aeron and embody because i'm tall and need a smidge of extra height, but they should also get your chair's dick out of the dirt too.

also they make your chair look like a sweet lunar rover, which is itself worth the price of admission.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol i was an idiot and put up with a squeaky aeron until I hit the caster stems with some silicone lubricant and now it's silent

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Megasabin posted:

Anyone hear anything about these Secret Lab chairs? https://secretlab.co/us/products

Is it just a gimmick or are they decent chairs?
why are grown-rear end adults considering using the equivalent of a race car bed?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Deviant posted:

what gets me is i like the LOOK of the stupid race car chairs, because i'm dumb
agreed

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Atomizer posted:

I kinda like the look of them too, except that's the last thing that matters (over comfort/ergonomics) in a chair because when you're actually using your chair it's literally behind/beneath you and you can't see it.
sorry you have to find out this way but you're a dope. they are ugly garbage for corny man children. why do grown men buy these things, which are for children? as far as seating for grownups goes, my girlfriend needed a task chair that she could drag out to the kitchen island and study for grad school. found her a steelcase drafting stool for $100 from a liquidator. built like a tank and in great condition. works great, and it isn't neon green pleather or anything! it's amazing how superior even a generic steelcase is in materials and workmanship compared to a $100 office depot POS.

Atomizer posted:

race car (Miata.)
lol

GokieKS posted:

If I was buying a new chair now, I'd probably go with the Gesture because of the headrest option - I love my Embody but there are some times when I really wish it had a headrest.
if you are using a headrest on am embody, it is because your posture is hosed up and horrible, negating the entire point of your $1,500 chair. the embody is perfect the way it is.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 8, 2017

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

isndl posted:

Streaming is also one of the few use cases where you'd want a chair that emphasizes appearance as well. :shrug:
are you implying that having a tiny pleather throw pillow strapped to the headrest of your race car chair isn't the pinnacle of modern design?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Deviant posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish the "gaming chairs" didn't suck universally, because I do like the aesthetic.
lol is your bed a race car, too?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I need an ergonomic desk chair for a fold-out secretary desk that's in a common area of my home, so it needs to be compact and look design-y while not being too visually intrusive. The Embody is too big for the area, and an Eames Aluminum Group chair would be too "bling." Any ideas for something ergo-friendly, small, and understated? User will be 5'8", 110lbs.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 21, 2018

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
a large person plopped down in my trusty ol' 1996-vintage Aeron and ripped the threaded metal insert out of the lower seat pan. i found a used pan for $40 on craigslist and swapped it out using my original (mismatched) mesh and old self-tapping screws. 10/10 experience. being able to easily fix this thing owns, but god help me when the tilt box or the pneumatic cylinder go out.

i'm afraid my Embody might not be so easy. thank god for that enormous warranty.

hooah posted:

I've got a Leap that I got from my school's surplus store, and it's been great except it creaks/squeaks a fair amount. Is there any guide or something for how to lubricate these?
I hit anything that squeaks with silicone-based spray lubricant. door hinges, chairs, drawers, etc. my above-mentioned aeron squeaked like hell, which annoyed my girlfriend after I moved in. i blasted everything that pivoted with the spray, waited 15 minutes, and then wiped down the excess. totally silent now, except for the casters.

i have a can of this stuff, but the Dupont one looks to be cheaper and I'm sure it's the same stuff.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 8, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Internet Explorer posted:

Stop posting in all the threads I read! Find your own threads!
i will never log off

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i finally stole my Embody back from my gf. everyone should get an Embody plus a rocking foot rest. peak comfort.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dew worm posted:

Was thinking about the Markus. My upper back and neck are starting to hurt and I have a real bad forward posture thing going on.

Any other ergonomic recs?
the Herman Miller Embody

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how many hours a year are you sitting in a particular desk chair? what is the cost of serious back, neck, and posture issues for the rest of your life? ~$100 a year for a desk chair is nothing.

a comfortable mattress, bedding, desk chairs, socks, and shoes will all pay dividends far exceeding their original price

~*live ergonomically*~

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also i’ve had my embody for nearly a decade(?!) at this point. it still works as new and looks nearly new, aside from various scuffs, even as a part-time cat bed and occasional scratch post.

a 30 year lifetime is well within reason of regular office/home use

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

Hell, for some of the stuff made in the 70's/80's, based on other places I've worked, a 30-year lifetime was well within reason for office/industrial use :v:
there are a bunch of 30-year-old aerons out there. mine has a ~93 date code, and while it’s the Aeron of Theseus, the major comportments are still solid and the minor stuff is easy to replace. parts are cheap, and still reasonably priced direct from HM if you can’t find it on ebay/CL. the embody has a lot more going on such as the weird suspension system, but the warranty is generous.

if you have a sit-down “career,” the embody (or a similarly-priced, equally-ergonomic chair) is a no brained

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah lol the high-back Elusion is like CAD$700 after tax now.

These are good arguments, which I don't generally disagree with.

And also pretty elitist to assume that most people have $2K in loose change to spend on a chair.
which is why i'm not framing it as "lol 2k is loose change, you poors" but one of the most important decisions you can make for your short term comfort and long term health. a great chair is just as important to somebody with an e-mail job as boots are to a logger; it's literally PPE. if your back hurts from sitting in whatever $50 Office Max piece of poo poo your rear end in a top hat boss provides, it isn't gonna get better as you turn 30, 40, 50, etc. $2k every 20+ years is goes a long way in preventing a potential lifetime of pain and many tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills, which your rear end in a top hat boss also doesn't give a poo poo about. hell, Herman Miller has a 30 day return policy. Buy it locally from Design Within Reach or whoever (the only price for HM stuff is MSRP , minus the twice-yearly 10% off sale), try it for a few weeks. if you don't feel an improvement by week 2, return it and try something else. my back started feeling better the same day! life is too short to sit yourself to death so your rear end in a top hat boss can send his kids to USC.

i spent nearly two decades with an ankle problem that would keep me up at night, and a ~$40 Humanscale rocking foot rest cured it almost entirely within two weeks. i'll be an insane ergonomics advocate until I die now.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Vimes Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness applies here. It's actually cheaper in the long run to lay out the $1500 for a chair that will last 25 years than to repeatedly spend $300 on a chair that will last maybe 3 or 4 years. But you have to be able to lay out the big bucks up front.
exactly, but it's even more compelling in this case since that expensive chair will not only last longer, but might also save you from a ergonomic injury, which can be life altering as well as extraordinarily expensive. it's a penny prevention vs. pound of cure. it's a bad and unfair system but i'll keep shouting about you should anyway like a crazy person!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Lead out in cuffs posted:

And buy the gamer chair.
mods; this trash

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mobby_6kl posted:

The thing is, you don't even have to spend $2k to get a good chair. As myself and others posted before here, you can get as-new HM or Steelcase chairs for ~$300 from a liquidator or an auction all day long. That's still not nothing if you already have a functional chair but much easier to justify for just about everyone with a computer job.
yeah, if you already have a chair that works for you, don't go out and spend 2k on a chair just because some idiot on the internet told you to. however, if your poo poo is hosed up, and an expensive chair helps, absolutely spend that money and don't think twice. the fancy chairs not only have a supportive design, but all the adjustment to work for you, which is why they cost so loving much!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

Also not to be pedantic but is anyone suggesting $2k chairs here?
me, i am. i'm the poster suggesting anyone who sits down all day and has back pain try a $2,000 office immediately.

also herman miller is pretty brutal at enforcing MSRP. unless you actually "know a guy," you're paying MSRP except at the twice-yearly sales.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ror posted:

Then I contacted a place that mainly does workplaces and got a quote for $1077 for the Embody with the upgraded fabric and wheels. However, I remembered to ask if they had any small business deals and the guy said that they could sell their standard business spec Embody with a much deeper discount. It had the upgraded fabric but I could only get regular wheels, for $882 (I think it only came it black too, but that's what I was getting anyway). I just got the nice wheels on Amazon later for like 40 or 50 bucks.
gr8 move, goon. i had the moon rover casters on mine until i went with glides for hardwood

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

I just moved to a different apartment and I'm pretty sure I have the Wrong Wheels for the floor. I should probably fix that. Maybe. Someday.
glides are a must on hard floors. otherwise i’m just fighting newton’s third law the whole time

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
yeah, your local craigslist “office liquidator” is just some guy so the return policy is “lol”

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

codo27 posted:

Would anyone have the know how to comment on the efficacy, especially as it relates to ergonomics, of a chair setup thats tilted backwards? That is, rather than a standard chair that you can rock back in, the chair is permanently at a 30-40 degree angle roughly so, to my mind without fully thinking this through, you'd be more relaxed and good posture would come more naturally. Of course your monitor and input would have to be adjusted as well. This is just day dreaming really, but something I've thought of lately in response to the amount of times I find myself adjusting my position in my chair, both at work and at home while gaming.
you’re describing a recliner, op

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

Maybe they want something like this:
https://www.seventhavenue.com/p/zer...YMaAtiZEALw_wcB

Granted, I don't know how good a $300 one of those would be. Just an example :P
nut up and go full Wall-E imho

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ILikeVoltron posted:

Just going to throw it out there, I've had a HM Embody for ~8 years now and it's still going strong.
same. i bought a 15-year-old Aeron a decade ago and it’s needed fewer replacement parts than that.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lol god has punished me for my posts in this thread by locking up the tilt mechanism on my old-rear end aeron. gonna hose it down with some silicone lub then wack it with a mallet. if that doesn’t work, it’s second embody time. wish me luck, goons.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

drat, must be Aeron Bad Luck Day! Hip pivot bolt (or, rather, the plastic flange around that) went out on my wife's chair today. Luckly I had a bolt with the same thread pattern in the garage, so I was able to bodge something together until the replacement bolt gets here next week.
i had a big fat idiot over at my house break one on mine. thankfully it was a ~$20 and 10 minute fix.

i might end up replacing the whole bottom end on mine to replace tired hydraulic piston and scuffed base. looking around, i should be able to get the parts for <$100

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Roumba posted:

Is this one of those times where I'm supposed to reoil the cylinder or whatever to fix the gas seal?
a new gas cylinder for like ~$35 on amazon, which is what i’m doing when i replace my frozen tilt mechanism for a $40 used part on ebay

Zarin posted:

My bodge failed :(
an entire take-off bolt/bearing assembly is like $20 for a pair on the spare parts supply stores, and goes in fairly easily/quickly. might as well grab two in case the other one goes out!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a beautiful mid century modern desk chair that is also a pain to sit in. I need something more ergonomic, but I would prefer something that looks cool. The Aeron and Embody do not come to mind. Any suggestions?
imagine simping for “midcentury modern” like it’s still 2012, then spurning out of hand the modern continuation of that movement

incredible!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Imagine vehemently arguing something is "mid century modern" because it says Herman Miller on it
the aeron and embody arent mid-century modern (and thank god! what a long-dead fad!), they are the continuation and improvement of that tradition. it’s no mistake they are made by HM. the aeron is the late-century eames lounge! the embody is, uh, a noguchi coffee table?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it looked hopeless

but i was victorious

and now i'm tilting again, baby! plus a fresh piston!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Finally I get to post positively here. Got an Aeron Classic in decent shape for $80 last night - needs a new cylinder (go figure, it's 30 years old) but otherwise in solid condition, mesh is fine, and even managed to avoid any weird smells. I'll report back once the cylinder is replaced, but even if it doesn't work for me, my dad needs a new chair too, so it's got two chances to work out.
i hope you have a BIG wrench and anticipate a LOT more hammering than the instructional videos suggest.

it really is clever how the entire chair can be stripped to its individual parts using the same ~3 types of fastener. incredible level of serviceability

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 12, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Duck and Cover posted:

More things should come in mint.
gamer chairs come in all sorts of circus colors as they are used by clowns

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
please stop buying the Gamer Chair

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Freakazoid_ posted:

a $1000 chair breaks in 10 years
no it doesn’t

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I got my embody today and I love it.
grats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I've had my embody for a couple weeks now and oh my God is it amazing compared to the $200 mesh office chair I had for five years.
once again, i have been vindicated by history