Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yerok posted:

You can pretty easily get like 40% off msrp on any HM stuff by going through the certified dealer list and sending some emails

I wish furniture companies would move away from the used car salesman bullshit. As more people work from home, I'm convinced that they're losing sales because people get sticker shock and pick up some lovely chair from Staples instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

She is currently sitting on a step ladder at a standing height desk.

lol what the gently caress

For $1k you can get just about whatever you want. If her office already has a relationship with an office supply place, see if they have a showroom where she can try things out.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Cut the price in half and offer at least a 10 year warranty and I will be that classless moron.

Thanks Ants posted:

Also AFAIK Wayfair just buy container loads of Chinese furniture, invent a brand name for it and mark it up horrendously. E.g. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Luxury-CEO-solid-wood-leather-executive_60372409228.html

Just buy 5 of them for half of the cost of the Wayfair listing and deck your whole house in ugly 80s office villain chairs.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zarin posted:

I'm guessing that yeah - the user was used to sitting in chairs set higher than ergonomics would recommend and dropping the seat pan a couple inches provided a lot of relief to the thighs. Edit: This could very well be due to an un-adjustable desk height; desks and chairs work in tandem and a sit-stand desk also allows the user to set the correct height in the sit position.

That being said, Aeron C is a drat good chair (if you don't sit in a way that the seat pan digs in, or the seat pan eventually teaches you via bruises and pain how to sit) and while it's too bad that it took $$$$ to learn that lesson - ultimately, you probably, I don't want to be too aggressively proscriptive here made a good choice and should feel good about your decision!

However, I'm also the big dumb idiot that thinks that the Aeron NEEDS a headrest so while I'm super-supportive heh :v: of your decision, there are also probably other Aeron users that will tell you a headrest is unnecessary for such a perfect chair.

Joke's on them, the Aeron was the fragile, error-ridden prototype for the Cosm I do not actually believe this, they are different chairs that serve different niches

pls don't make people click on half a dozen useless spoilers to read your post thx

I'll probably get an aeron at some point but I'm still holding out hope that eventually my job will pay for one

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You can get a Leap in pink. Every gaming chair is bad.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you have to order it from their site, wait until their next 15% off deal. It'll probably begin some time this month.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Look for an office furniture liquidator in your area and ask what they have. Any new chair under $100 is going to suck after 6-12 months

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you like your chair, great, but that is definitely a race car gamer chair

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

everyone understands that you think it's comfortable, but that is definitely a gamer race car chair, and you need to come to terms with it and buy the 5 point racing harness it deserves

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

My embody bought through my employer a couple of months ago cost $1230 before taxes

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Looking around on Facebook marketplace and they are selling used ones around 400-500 but some have stickers that say they have been assembled in 2006.

Anyone buy a chair from Madison Seating? I just not sure if they are refurbished or what, not a ton of info. I think I'd rather grab one from there than the marketplace.

I've read complaints that they refurbish chairs with non-OEM substandard components. Like you might get an arm rest that will flake apart after a few years, that kind of thing.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

marxismftw posted:

The primary Hyken-replacement contender is the Steelcase Karman. At ~$1200, it ain't cheap, but it's a substantial discount compared to an Embody.

For all the more expensive chairs, list price can be ignored. Get quotes from local distributors and compare them.

I got an Embody for $1150 + tax back in January.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you can look for an aeron in person, you can check when it was made and if it's in good shape. I wouldn't buy a used aeron online, there's too many lovely companies that stick crappy aftermarket parts on a 20+ year old frame.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Go to an office supply showroom if you can and figure out what you like. When in doubt, get the Embody. They'll probably have a black friday sale where you can get it for ~$1300 + tax

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Did you ever try out an Aeron A? Its dimensions seem to fit what you're looking for

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Microcline posted:

Is anyone else using an Alera Elusion? I just got one and the tilt tension knob seems stuck (doesn't move in either direction). Has anyone else seen this?

looks like a cheap amazon chair. return it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Any recommendations for someone who is super short? Family member is 4'9", works from home, is constantly having to choose between having their feet on the floor or their arms level with the desk. Have already put in a sit/stand desk. Is this a situation where a chair with the leg/footrests might be a good idea?

How low does the standing desk get? There are some that can get as low as ~22.5". If you don't want to buy another desk, then yeah, try out a foot rest.