Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I desperately need a new chair for my desktop at home but I definitely don't have $350 to spend on a chair. I'm thinking maybe in the $100 range. Should I just go to Office Depot and get a leather one that looks comfortable? What recommendations would you give in the $100-$150 range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Sucks to say, but you're not going to get much of a chair for that price. Best bet is probably Ikea, as their low-cost stuff is fairly decent (reliability). Be prepared to blow through whatever you end up with in a year or two.

A year or two is all I really need at this point, hopefully by then I'll have a full time job. :v:

So what's the best low budget chair for my buck? My lombard supporttt

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Found an Aeron for 200 bucks on Craiglist that "no longer goes up and down." Asking the person if they know what is wrong with it, but I may snatch it up because the chair I am in sucks and is old and I think I may have finally broken it tonight cause it's leaning way to the left.

How long are the warranties on these things?

EDIT: Dude says the chair is at 17" and the hydraulic lift is broken. My current chair is at 17" and my desk is not much higher than that, so, is this a steal or is this a steal? Is there a good way for me to make sure I'm actually buying an Aeron when I go check it out?

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 12, 2012

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Kim Jong III posted:

Herman Miller offers a 12 year warranty but it's not transferable. I think some of the people here have indicated that they're not super strict on checking this, but it's still a potential risk. The chair should have a warranty label, and you can call Herman Miller & check how long the warranty is good for -- 888-443-4357.

If the chair won't lift, it's probably a worn out gas cylinder, and I think those are ~$35-$45 to replace. You can probably find a youtube video to instruct you.

Plenty of chairs are designed to resemble Aerons, but I don't know that anyone makes "fake Aerons". Look for the Herman Miller text on the top back of the frame. Look for the warranty label. If you can, go to a local retailer & check out a new Aeron in person so you'll know what to look for.

Ended up getting it from the guy for $175. It's super low but so is my desk so I may not even fix the gas cylinder for now. Man am I in love with it, though! Thanks for the info :)