Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!
Does $580 shipped for a fully loaded Aeron in "like brand new condition" sound like a reasonably good deal?

Also, was anybody able to confirm whether the HM chairs are covered under warranty if they are purchased used?

chronofx fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!
I'm thinking about getting a Steelcase Leap from these guys. That's generally considered a good choice for ergonomics/comfort, right?

If I end up going to buy one of these, what should I be checking on the chair/what questions should I be asking to make sure I'm not getting ripped off?

Also, I know with the Aeron there's a lot of optional additions/different models. Are there any optional features/extras that are must-have for a Leap, or is the basic model generally considered good enough?

Oh, also, how are the warranties on the Leaps? Are they transferrable? How long do they last?

chronofx fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 29, 2012

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Very good price for a Leap, but drat if that's not a loving ugly fabric on it. That's probably why they're trying to unload 150 of them.

I would check the sticker on the bottom of the chair to see its sold-on date. If it's more than 7 years old I'd be wary. Other than that just make sure all the adjustments work and it doesn't feel overly wobbly.

As for additional models, according to this this page, no -there's just the basic, a stool version, and a 500 pound fatty version.

I really doubt the warranty is transferable, don't bank on that at all.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not too concerned about the ugly fabric; all I really care about are ergonomics & comfort. (But yes, it is loving ugly as hell, haha.)

The main complaint I have been reading about the Leap is that its bottom is really hard and ends up being really painful to sit on for prolonged periods of time. Can anyone confirm/deny this? This was my biggest complaint with my last desk chair; after an hour or two of sitting on it, it felt like I was sitting on a park bench, not an office chair (even with 5-10 minute breaks every hour or so). My current chair has a very comfortable bottom, but it's not ergonomic at ALL and doesn't have a full back.

I read one review of the leap which said the leather version is a lot more comfortable for prolonged sitting, but obviously I'm not going to find one of those for $200.

chronofx fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 30, 2012

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I would check the sticker on the bottom of the chair to see its sold-on date. If it's more than 7 years old I'd be wary. Other than that just make sure all the adjustments work and it doesn't feel overly wobbly.

Hmm, apparently they are from 2005, so just about 7 years old on the dot. According to the company selling them, "They are in good original condition. 2005 . We clean them up and test them."

I suppose I'll have to drive up there and see for myself (1.5 hour drive each way, so kind of a pain, but oh well!). They also have a brown alternative which looks significantly less horrible

chronofx fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 1, 2012