Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anyone have an opinion on the Steelcase Think? I can get one for a pretty decent price (£90) and am 99% sure it's worth that sort of cash, but want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks. Ended up buying 2 for £80 each (one for home, one for work), collecting later in the week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You don't need an HR department to have a workplace that doesn't make you ill or injure you. If your chair is causing you to be in physical pain then your employer has to sort it out. It might be easier to sort it yourself but I can't see why you should have to pay for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Steelcase Think is very unobtrusive in a room if you get one with a mesh back

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm a massive fan of the Steelcase Think for that reason - there's not a huge amount in the way of adjustment once you've got the seat height and depth sorted, along with the arm rests. The back just sort of supports you however you want to sit in it, and it's a world of improvement over some of the poo poo I've had to deal with before.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly it sounds like your arm rest is either too high or too low - being able to take the weight off your shoulders at the correct height shouldn't cause you any pain.

I'd look for a chair where you can move the arm rests out of the way easily as opposed to one that doesn't have any. What sort of pain do you get at the moment?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you view it as an investment in the health of your spine it's a lot easier to justify it to yourself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo you pretty much robbed her. Nicely done.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you have details for the size of the Aeron in question, the accessories etc?

I don't know what the US market is like for chairs but if I had $680 I'd be on the lookout for a lightly used Embody. If you've sat in an Aeron and like it then ignore me though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Big padded seats will gently caress your back up if you sit in them for a large amount of time. I get more than enough support from a Steelcase Think and there's next to no padding on that at all, just a mesh supported by metal rods.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not entirely sure why you're posting here to be honest. You've asked about big cheap padded chairs, people have told you that they're rubbish and offered up alternatives, and you've told them they're wrong. In which case just go and buy one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do Humanscale have anything decent or is it all old designs that look boring and cost a fortune?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Embody is really really nice, but very much above my price range.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think they also save quite a bit of money by not packing them up and shipping them but instead by briefly showing the chair some packaging materials and then throwing it vaguely towards your address, if reports in here are anything to go by.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

101 posted:

I'm looking for a new computer chair (UK) to go with my new computer. I'd like to spend less than £200 and hopefully it wouldn't lose wheels and break like the uncomfortable piece of poo poo I'm typing this on :cheeky:

Where are you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steelcase...=item27de146263

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That looks like a piece of poo poo dressed up as something fancier - no mention is made of the seat back adjustment so I'd assume it tilts with the seat like 99% of the chairs with bases that look like that, the arms only flip out the way instead of height adjusting, the seat will quite probably squash down to nothing in 7 months time, and the back height doesn't adjust.

For your budget look at second hand options on Craigslist, eBay etc.

I think as a rule any office chair that has plywood listed as a construction material is best to avoid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For anybody wanting to convert a Steelcase Think chair from hard castors (for use on carpet tiles) to soft castors (for hard floors such as wood, tile etc) then the dimensions you need to concern yourself with are a stem of 11mm diameter and 22mm long, and a wheel diameter of 65mm. I've swapped mine out as I could see the hard wheels starting to damage my wood floor, the new castors are quieter and cost me £12 for a set of 5 (Steelcase wanted £50 for a set of their ones).

I'd assume all recent Steelcase chairs are the same, but check before you order anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For anyone considering a Steelcase Think then just go for it. I bought 5 a year ago off eBay for £500 and ended up selling 3 and more than paying for the lot, so I have a couple left for myself. Don't be put off by the relative lack of adjustment, you really don't need it. I use it on the first half-recline setting with the most tension, and however I decide to sit on it, whatever weird angle I want to lean at I always find the seat back is there to support me. Not experienced any pain at all in my back since switching to this chair, whereas on the tilting-seat-and-back special I had before it was fairly regular.

Would love to move up to a Gesture but I think I'll need to convince work to do that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd want to see the refurbished ones in person really before making a decision, some of them look like someone's taken some poo poo fabric and stapled it over the top of whatever was there before. Those two look like they've been quite well done though.

Steelcase Thinks regularly go for under £200 - I bought 5 for £500 delivered a couple of years back and they were in great shape. It's not quite as nice a chair as the Leap v2 but still very nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The $300 Mirra is a hell of a deal

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I paid £80 each for 2x Steelcase Thinks a few years back. So if you're happy to wait a bit and jump on a used one then you can definitely get something for that sort of cash.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Amia is a good shout for that price.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also that's 'only' ~$80 per year, assuming it stops working on the day of its 12th birthday, which it probably won't.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will either arrive in perfect condition and you'll be really happy, or it will be smashed to gently caress wrapped in thin cardboard that may once have been a box.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What's it do on a hard floor? The base of my Steelcase Think doesn't have much clearance between the floor and the bottom of the gas lift by design, I'm sure I'd have the same problem as you in deep carpet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pmchem posted:

Any options you don't use? Like, I have no idea what the lumbar option will look like or if it will help. I'm a thin dude and 6 feet tall if it matters.

I'd take a lumbar adjustment every time. Forward tilt I'm not so sold on, but I have no idea if that's even optional on the Mirra 2.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds like a pretty beaten up Aeron. I hop between different chairs almost daily and the Aeron's all have the same issues with the seats that try to squeeze everything into the centre, and the front edge that digs into the back of your legs, but I've never noticed any play in the construction.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have taste :smug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

titaniumone posted:

Anyone have opinions on the Sayl? We're apparently getting them at work in a few weeks.

They look like a boardroom chair rather than a task chair. Far too little adjustability.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Disappointing is an understatement.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Armrests more or less level with the desk surface, on my Think they slide out the way when the chair gets closer to the desk, which is perfect.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I replaced the wheels on my Steelcase Think with a third-party set and spent £15 total including the shipping. It makes a massive difference to the noise the chair makes when rolling around, and doesn't feel like it's scratching the floor up. Definitely worth doing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

bull3964 posted:

I have a Mirra 2 at home and I've spent a lot of time in the Aeron.

Where the Mirra 2 has the Aeron beat is adaptability.

The best way I can describe is is that you set the Aeron up for your body at a particular seating position. With the Mirra 2, you just set it up for your body and it's just right for a myriad of seating positions.

This is how I feel about the Steelcase Think. Very little adjustment but it always seems to be supporting me where I need it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

lovely ones for sitting at a computer or for longer than 30-60 minutes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any London goons after a chair would be well served by just wandering around Farringdon. It's hard to move for all the office furniture showrooms, especially during design week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think you can write off used chairs on the basis that you got some destroyed ones.

With regards to the arm rests - they are fine, you just need to adjust them properly. Like every other part of the chair. They should be the same height as the desk and be adjustable enough to get out of the way when you want to bring the chair under the desk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

So I've noticed something. The base of the gas tube in my Leap sits a few millimetres off my floor, which is made of wood, and I'm not sure if the floor is warping or was never flat to begin with but in some spots the gas tube starts to graze the surface and its loving up my floor (concentric crescent marks are appearing). Can I raise the gas tube somehow? Is it even normal to begin with?

I suppose I could just sand down that part of the floor but then I'd have to revarnish it and :effort:

Speaking of gas tubes a little googling and I found some shops selling them for like ~190usd a pop, which is already more than I paid for the chair to begin with :D I guess mods to this Leap aren't going to be a thing after all

If you swap the casters out for hard floor ones they are usually slightly larger, so lift the chair up slightly, while also being nicer to roll around on hard floors. Having said that, I have about 15mm of clearance between the bottom of the gas tube on my Think and the floor, so yours sounds like it's sunk somehow.

You can probably fix it by knocking the cylinder out of the base and wrapping a piece of thin card around it before putting it back in.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 22, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm tall I have bad posture I use my chair a lot. Where do I start?

A desk that you can crank the height up on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah that looks like a meeting room chair at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly your best option is to find a place that lets you show up and look at what you're buying.