Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have promised myself an Embody one day. For now I am getting by fine with a Think - I'm trying not to sit on an Embody because I know what will happen if I try one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not just return the chair if it's hosed?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Humanscale seem to put headrests on their chairs for a not-crazy price

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The fabric backrest is optional. It's a Mirra 1 because you can see the fixing where the seat meets the arm rest support. This is smooth on the Mirra 2.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 3, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I meant you can have not-fabric on the 2.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Butt posted:

If only you could add a headrest to the leap

http://store.steelcase.com/seating/lounge/leap-worklounge :getin:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you just sit the chair on furniture cups?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I prefer the Mirra (2) to the Aeron, and it's cheaper.

My personal chair is a Steelcase Think (v1), I am really happy with it. It's a bit of a departure from a lot of other chairs in that it is designed to support you however you sit, rather than trying to nudge you towards sitting a certain way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've had luck removing the stems with a claw hammer before, levering it against the spokes on the chair base.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty standard-looking seat and back bolted to an off-the-shelf pressed steel base. I think you paid about what those things are worth.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like your local place wants a bit too much cash for their chairs if a pretty bog-standard and ancient chair is going for $100. Keep looking around.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You get a 12-year warranty, so even if it breaks right as the warranty expires, $100 a year for something that is designed to not destroy your back seems like a bargain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AFAIK the Mirra (and Mirra 2) are many years newer than the Aeron and lots of people find them to be better. I think HM keeps the Aeron around mainly due to momentum, or furnishing TV sets with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mesh seats are good for letting farts waft through

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mirra 2

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Humanscale Freedom Headrest

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty standard Chinese chair, wouldn't say it's worth that money.

http://www.fuh-shyan.com/SL-B1.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could you not just lie to the supplier and say you have a studio in your garden that is designated as commercial space? They aren't going to care since they will never see it get delivered.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think they care as much as they can't knowingly sell a product not certified for home use to you, but making a sale is in their interest so I can't see why they would get too uptight about it if you give them the plausible deniability on a plate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would take a Mirra 2 over an Aeron

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get hard floor castors for it, they have a softer plastic rim on them that you can mark with a fingernail but are hard enough for a chair. They roll rather than sliding.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have a Steelcase Think and the width of the seat was the first thing I noticed about it. Doesn't sag in the middle and try to squeeze your hips together.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had no idea they were that expensive - I paid £500 for five used ones about six years ago. For $900 I'd probably take a Mirra 2 over a Think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't see that link, assuming it's this - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-flex-task-chair

Then it looks like a pretty standard Chinese mesh chair. There's no real hidden gem that exists here - things that are cheaper than the high end chairs are not as good as them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How about a Steelcase Leap WorkLounge + stool and a normal desk?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's just a basic waiting room chair, doesn't seem like it's worth the money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$350 seems a bit steep for a five year old Aeron, especially as they are probably being quite loose with the truth on the age.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like a generic poo poo base though. No forward tilt, no armrest depth adjustment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Humanscale Freedom Headrest

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

joe944 posted:

This could fit the bill perfectly, thanks! I found a reseller nearby that sells basically all the chairs so I'll be stopping by to check it out and compare with the new leap and embody.

Humanscale don't tend to put as many adjusters on their chairs vs. somebody like Herman Miller, but a showroom should be able to help you out.

Edit: ^^ aren't all these decent chair warranties non-transferable? Maybe it varies by state/country.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Replacing parts is reasonably simple on most name-brand chairs, but getting a gas strut out after 10+ years of someone sitting on it is quite tricky.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I reckon a bearing puller and some custom bits of welded steel bracketry would do a great job of getting them out, but it's not something people generally have access to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess loving the strut up that's already broken is hardly an issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty shameful that they position chairs without adjustable arms as being "work chairs". Maybe the Volmar is OK as it has adjustable seat depth, but it's the same price that I paid for two used Steelcase Think chairs a few years back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like Steelcase have a spiritual successor to the Think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8M5n8YhdA

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd buy a Mirra over an Aeron. But then I'd also seriously consider stretching to the Embody.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think all chair mats will do that, just a consequence of the repeated bending of the plastic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes but I think you'll have to phone a dealer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Embody is peak chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hard floor wheels have slightly soft rims so they grab the floor rather than slide over it. Rolling resistance isn't really changed in my experience.