Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
A friend of mine's office is getting rid of a chair for some reason, and knowing that I've been looking for one, they offered to give it to me. Based on the photo, I'm pretty sure it's a Teknion Contessa. Given that it's free, I'm certainly going to try it, but I'm curious what people think of this chair since it wasn't one I was considering previously.

Also, it looks like it has a mesh seat, which I'm definitely not going to like. Does anyone know how I might go about getting the cloth seat and replacing it? (I'm in NYC.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

It seems the biggest complaint about the Aeron is the chair edge digging into your legs..is that an issue you guys have had? Someone mentioned a company that makes some sort of soft liner but I can't find anything about it. Just curious. I'm 5'10 and I've heard that complaint from people who identify as "short" so I'm wondering what that means exactly.

I'm 5'10 and had this issue with an Aeron I tried a few times (probably like 5 years ago). I never looked into getting or trying one since then, though I'd guess certain configuration options would help ameliorate the problem.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

logikv9 posted:

my chair is murdering me and i've decided to spend money that i don't have (thank you ebay) on a Good Chair. i'm planning to go visit the herman miller showroom in NYC to check out the embody, and i want to see the leap as well since i can find more leaps more cheaply than anywhere else. is the leap vs embody thing a matter of preference? because with how difficult it is to find somebody nearby with a showroom and leaps i might go with the embody if i find it comfortable

e: actually now having said that i might have no choice but to go with a leap sight unseen, the price is really in my range whilst the embody is really expensive even when used. the leap probably won't kill me even if it wasn't the best most comfortable thing available

I tried the Embody recently at the NYC showroom and didn't really care for it. I liked some of the cheaper chairs more. There's a Steelcase showroom too, but it's only open 9-4 weekdays, so I'm still trying to figure out when I can get there and try the Leap.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I used a Markus at work years ago, and I liked it a lot at first, but within around 6 months I couldn't use it frequently or it was too uncomfortable. There were no other chairs, so I stacked up some boxes for a makeshift standing desk and then only used the Markus sporadically.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

logikv9 posted:

I was looking at the steelcase showroom but it looks like it's open only for appointments only??

Oh really? That sucks. Kind of explains the bad hours and lack of information about the place though...

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

In that price bracket the usual thread recommendations are either a new Ikea Volmar (or a Markus if they still make those) or searching ebay or local office clearances.

They actually seem to have discontinued the Volmar already, while the Markus is still around as always.

Not a big loss in my opinion.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Gaming chair companies have done quite an amazing job partnering with a shitload of popular streamers. Impressionable young gamers who watch a lot of streams (i.e. all of them) see nothing but gaming chairs all day. I bet their sales numbers are better than ever.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Moey posted:

I'm not proud to admit it, but I have been using one of these for a year or two and have had zero issues.

https://m.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black-23481-CC/product_990119

I was going to splurge if it sucked or fell apart, but it still looks and feels brand new.

I'm glad, since my office just replaced all our aging chairs with this one...

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
It's more than $300, but I like the Uplift. The commercial version goes lower than the regular one, but both can do 27".

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Regarding standing desks, I like the Uplift, but there are several good ones out there you can read reviews about (Fully is another). For the desktop computer problem, one common way to solve it is with an attachment below the desk, so it moves up and down with your desk and stays a constant distance from your monitor. I know this is an optional addon with Uplift. However, I've had no problem leaving mine on the floor, just had to make sure my cables were long enough first (of course, I don't have a rabbit).

Artelier posted:

I found this post a couple pages back:
It is a great guide on general quality of whether something is good or bad so I have been cross referencing it with my local online shops and an excellent starting point. Yet I'm not sure what exactly am I benefiting with if I aim to get a Herman Miller which is almost RM6000 as opposed to a Steelcase Leap which is about RM3000. Like are the materials that much better or is the comfort level that much better? The Miller is steeeeeep. So is the Leap, but it's half as steep.

The top Herman Miller chairs are in the same category as the top Steelcase chairs, so it's really a matter of things like personal preference, body type, price, and features. Different people of different shapes find different chairs comfortable... I personally really like the Leap. Note that there's a v1 and v2 of the Leap, the v1 is much older and not as great. If these are new chairs you're talking about, it would seem like the Leap is priced much better in your market, and I certainly wouldn't pay double for anything from Herman Miller. If they're used, then condition will be a major factor to consider as well.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 26, 2021

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Steelcase is good, but the best thing to do is just try them out and see what you like. There's a Herman Miller showroom in NYC where you can try all of their chairs; unfortunately the Steelcase showroom isn't open to individual visits. But there are alternatives, for example I made an appointment to visit Waldner's last year since it was near my apartment, they're an authorized Steelcase dealer and have all their chairs sitting in the office to try for as long as you like.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I might finally get the Leap I've been wanting to get for a while. I know people generally have a bit better luck with Crandall vs. Madison Seating, but... is it really worth paying $570 for the former when the latter is $310 (on ebay)?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Wish I understood what everyone likes about the Embody. In the HM showroom it felt like there was barely any lumbar support compared to something like the Leap.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

friend, you are still churning.

also, you don’t need to put leather conditioner on polyurethane.

I don't like the chairs either, but presumably they got one of the real leather models...

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I agree, spending more money on the same product because of branding is definitely the Adult thing to do.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I understand, I asked my last chair to talk right before firing it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
The issue with Madison is that they're not forthcoming with what they actually deliver, leading to a lot of variation in reviews. Most of their chairs are listed as open box, but what they really do as noted above is remanufacture/refurbish them with non-OEM parts. This doesn't necessarily mean they're worse than used chairs, but I frankly don't understand how they're allowed to continue always lying about the condition... maybe open box is an unregulated term they can just use for anything?

Anyway, there are other places that do this too (e.g. Crandall, BTOD) but charge more in exchange for being truthful, and probably having better customer service.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 8, 2023

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Rollerblade casters would work, especially if you want to raise the height of your chair a little bit, but some find they roll a little too well on hardwood (especially when the floor isn't perfectly level). It's nice that they work well on carpet too though.

Regular hardwood casters are otherwise perfectly fine.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
If they're reimbursing you, I'd get their most expensive chair, return it, and get a Herman Miller/Steelcase...

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Zarin posted:

This idea is amazing.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable tale of hijinks that ensued trying to box the chair back up and sneak it past security and out to their car. I'm assuming that a loading dock would be involved.

And then haranguing with the cashier about how you "got the chair as a gift" and don't have a receipt.

Oh! And then having to steal a conference room chair for a few days because the shipping on the HM was delayed :v:

Hah, I interpreted "permission to buy" as OP buying, having the receipt, and getting reimbursed, potentially even for working from home.

This is exactly what I did a couple years ago, so my company effectively paid for half of a refurb Leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
You can very likely get a refurb Leap or Aeron for $600.