Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TenementFunster posted:

fedex and ups drivers are so loving overworked and every second of their shift is scrutinized to the point that special requests (especially for something as big as an embody) are often overloooked due to lack of time. i’m sure the nationwide expectation of 2-day Treat Delivery has made their lives hell

FedEx Ground is a local contractor who pays poo poo while still being massively overworked.

The FedEx Express guys are the direct FedEx employees and they get paid to drive those trucks even in Florida (the 20 year employee I talked to regularly in 2017 was pulling $40/hr with 4 weeks vacation and separate PTO which is p loving good for manual labor). So Express generally cares more. They’ll also make a second attempt to deliver if a signature is required.

Source: me, a former oral (heh) oncology pharm tech who shipped $5-15m in drugs a day and dealt with FedEx for a living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Unsinkabear posted:

I wish there was a mesh Embody for this reason, I am a warm person in a warm climate and that fabric is just a hard no-go :ohdear:

I’m in Florida and the fabric is Florida man approved (in that Florida man would regard it too highly to make makeshift drug paraphernalia out of it)

Fix your ac, nerd :colbert:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

couldcareless posted:

From nola, apparently if you don't live in the gulf south, blasting your AC (or having AC at all) is potentially a totally foreign practice

I remember going up north to Pennsylvania in the summer the first time as a child and being floored that all houses didn’t have AC by default. It’s still a weird concept to me

It was 100 degrees there and 85 back home in Florida because of loving course it was

Unsinkabear posted:

I rent, which means my apartment has a shitbox AC unit that floods and dies if I blast it, which means I die. We live at a permanent 75 freedom units in this house, even when the summer is at its shittiest and most humid and you want it cooler than that.

Look up your model of AC (YouTube will probably have a video) and see where the drain pan is. Clear that poo poo out; it’s a super easy fix that will save you misery.

When I say super easy, I mean it’s generally find pan, remove pan, dump poo poo water out, clean if needed, put back in.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 6, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Their AC guy has come out and done this a few times and I have no problem with doing it myself instead, but it's not a periodic problem. It happens every single time I try to drop the temp to 65 or whatever for sleep hygiene, or it has to run harder than usual to stay cool in the summer. There's something wrong with the way the drainage is set up that the AC guy grumbles about every time, which apparently would need to be fixed to actually stop this, but it's Greek to me.

Good to know it's something I can just handle myself next time, though.

This is probably the actual solution to the summer swampass problem anyway

Some bleach poured down the drain can prevent the poo poo from clogging as quickly assuming it’s grime clogging it (make sure you don’t overflow the pan)— I’m honestly not sure how the drainage for an apartment block would work though. I’m in a house, I pour a cup of bleach every month or a two, but my drainage to the outside pipe is only like 50 feet of PVC, so YMMV there.

Running your AC at 65 is the lowest I’ve heard of someone running it — what’s the ambient outside that you’re running it that low?

This is more a curiosity thing, my family is in Florida and we keep it at 76. You mentioned sleep hygiene with that number; I hadn’t heard that before. Could I ask where you heard that? That would be interesting if true

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I sit in a big chair with my wife :shrug:

I sit in a big chair with your wife too :coal:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Can confirm

It’s not that the Aeron is bad, it’s actually pretty good tbh, especially for a mesh chair.

It’s that the embody is better and stays comfortable all day, every day

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, the Embody is comfortable for 16 hours at a time

Only way it could be better is if it had a hole for me to poo poo in and a bidet so I never had to get up

Next level poopsocking

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, I’ve got those too and they’re smooth on tile

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

repiv posted:

Thinking of getting an Aeron Classic, at 6'3" I almost certainly want the Size C right?

Unfortunately I can't find anywhere to try one around here so I need goonpinions

I’m 6’3” and at max height the default size is perfect for me. It could vary for you though based on whether your height is in your legs or your torso.

I’ve got a 33” inseam if that helps?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The arms expand outwards if you’re fat

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

.Z. posted:

Heads up Embody owners, if you've been wanting a headrest and are willing to part with $189 ($179 if you preorder before April 1), there is finally going to be a solution.

Atlas Headrest's Embody headrest is finally nearing release.
https://atlasheadrest.com/collections/headrest-for-embody-chair

I mean that’s cool, but I’ve never felt the need for one, weird as that sounds.

I also think that it would look like poo poo from a profile view — it looks like it attaches midway on the chair. Maybe it won’t look bad, but it would have to be a super slim fit I’d think.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

mixing parts from older and newer generations of chair can sometimes result in compatibility issues

but mostly because those are some of the most expensive and pain in the rear end parts to replace. changing out the wheel frame requires completely disassembling the piston from the adjustment mechanism, then knocking the frame loose from the piston. it just isn’t worth the time, effort, and risk of damaging something. it isn’t an easy swap, and you might as well throw in a new piston as well because many don’t survive the removal process.

if you are that picky about having a new aeron with all the new features and cosmetics, just buy a new aeron.

Normally I’d disagree, but with a chair that lasts as long as these do, it’s worth putting a little extra to the side (if you can) to buy new and avoid the issues down the line IMO.

Oh and the 12 year warranty helps.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Aerons shouldn’t be anywhere near 2k

Even brand new off their site at full MSRP they’re $1650

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

In this country they are :v:

Jesus christ

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

Aeron > embody :colbert:

It’s okay to be wrong

The Aeron is rad for sure and is definitely the best mesh chair I’ve sat in

BUT

I sat in my Embody for 14 hours yesterday because work is poo poo and it felt like a normal day — the endurance sitting capability it gives you owns, dumb as that sounds.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I started watching Titans with my wife and noticed that the computer chair where the bat computer is is a black Embody. Very on brand for a Bruce Wayne built complex.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I have a 2003 iBook I’d like to match a chair to. Anyone have any suggestions?

e: I’m a serious gamer, if that helps

lmao

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

The dress shoes thread has a shitload of information about different kinds of leathers if you wanna go into a deep dive on it. Yeah, it’s shoes, but the principles are broadly the same.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're in $730 for a chair you might as well be in for $1100

Caution, this way lies the eames

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

secret volcano lair posted:

spoke too soon and may need to return the embody as well. loved the feeling of the backrest, but I can't seem to find a single position that actually distributes my weight evenly across this seat. it all goes to my legs, and my hamstrings get sore as gently caress after a full day. i hate chairs

Just to double check, have you tried changing the length of the seat by unrolling it/rolling it in as appropriate?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

You could always put a chair pad down on the floor

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zarin posted:

In the meantime, I will say that while my Embody has a tilt-lock mechanism, I never use it - I just adjust the tensioner so it naturally puts my recline where I want it. Probably the first (only?) chair I would say that about.

Same here, the tensioner is 10/10

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

NFX posted:

Welp. I went to the showroom and tried out both chairs for a bit longer. The demo Mirra 2 did indeed not have a tilt lock. Not a big deal, but after 10 minutes in each chair I think I like the Embody more. And so I bought one :v:

one of us

one of us

one of us

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

jesus christ

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I just bought an Embody off one of those office liquidation stores. $700, excluding taxes. I like it so far but the arms are a little looser than I expected. They jiggle. Maybe there’s a screw I can tighten.

Yeah, the arms should be pretty solid outside of adjusting inwards or outwards. Even then it takes a little force to move the arms.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Was it real pizza or that tomato sauce pie bullshit

This matters

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

You make me sick

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Vegetable posted:

lol the Embody gets stained by plain water. It’s comfy enough but I’m two months in and you absolutely don’t need to be a slob for it to look like poo poo

It’s handled my rear end sweat fine

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

$1300 for a refurb Embody seems too close to the price of a new one during various promotions to make it worth losing a 12-year warranty

This

And it sounded ridiculous to me too, but you really really don’t actually need the headrest. I’m 6’3” and well above the top of the chair and all the bullshit people have said about it not actually being necessary or needed is weirdly true

I’ve never once thought to myself “I could really use a headrest” when sitting in my embody

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

brainwrinkle posted:

There’s one knob that controls curvature and another that controls resistance for leaning back. Adjust the curvature to your liking first with the back locked imo. Then adjust resistance to make it comfortable to lean back at various angles with the back unlocked.

Then roll up and unroll the seat fifty times because what chair has a seat that rolls up and is still comfy

It’s a fun novelty and I’m a child

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Amnomia posted:

is this the best chair?

If you’re a person who sits for a living, yeah. It’s stupid good, see my post history ITT.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You should probably stand up every two hours anyway. :ohdear:

Casual spotted

I’ve got this thousand dollar rear end holder to SIT in, thankyouverymuch

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Happiness Commando posted:

I tried an Embody today and it felt kind of underwhelming. The first time I sat down in a Leap I immediately exclaimed 'ooh that's good' but the embody was... totally fine, I think, but that's it.

And I need a new chair. I have a Steelcase think and I'm not a fan.

Yeah, the thing is that it stays fine for marathon sitting. I’ve had 16 hour workdays where it’s been solid start to finish (I mean I get up for breaks and to move, but the point still stands. Or sits. Whatever.)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, you got jabbed at by forums troll royalty. TF’s rap sheet is the longest I’ve ever seen to this date. Maybe if you collated Seraph’s reregs you’d get more. Maybe.

It feels like the good ol’ days again

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Embody prices are a laughingstock. How about the Haworth fern

Cheaper than a spine or opiate addiction. Even at full price it’s worth it for people sitting 8+ hours a day and there are numerous people attesting to that ITT.

I just looked at the price of the Fern and yeah, for $500 difference I’d go with the one that’s been recommended and has a 12 year warranty, but ydy

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Those are both good posts

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

I’ve had my embody for 1.5-2 years and it’s still like new. Between 8-12 hours of use 5 days a week, no pain, no discomfort. 6’3” and 240lbs. I will say that if you have longer legs (34” inseam) or are taller than me, you might want to look at a larger size, because it’s right at the point where max height on the chair is right for me.

I get it. It’s a lot of money. But I churned through $200 chairs every two years. Even if we exclude the monetary value of not being in pain or uncomfortable, I’ll have made my money back if this outlasts the 12 year warranty.

tl;dr: if you sit a lot, buy an embody or one of the actual quality chairs recommended ITT, it’s worth it at full price let alone via a office reseller and repetitive stress injury (or whatever the hell a “sitting around a lot” injury is) is a wildly stupid thing that you can avoid.

Take care of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Its a nice chair but 2k??? lets get real. patoot gets numb after 45 minutes BTW. Seat pan not that good.

If you’re experiencing numbness after a relatively short period of sitting, you might be sitting poorly or legit might have a circulation issue?

Your experience doesn’t match with the norm described by the thread and that’s okay! I’m 6’3” (33” inseam) and sitting properly isn’t an issue (knees 3in from the edge of the seat does require rolling the seat shorter) and sitting in the seat for hours is great.

Find what’s right for you, buddy.