Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope
I have a Healthy Back store nearby, so I was able to try all these crazy chairs out. I liked the Human Touch Alpha 80 -- the weird one with the two lungs for a backrest:

Anyone have any experience with this? A review from someone who's had it long-term would be ideal, because I want to make sure that it's comfortable long-term, not just in the store.

Also, the original manufacturer, Human Touch, is discontinuing it, and they're finding a new vendor to make the same chair.

Stabby McDamage fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Wombot posted:

Well, it appears that the legs and castors are an optical illusion, so be careful with that...

OK, being serious now. Having never sat in one, I'm going to judge it on it's appearances, just like any good American should. Two things: The edge of the seatpan is hard plastic, and it doesn't look like the front edge of the seatpan (AKA the "kneefucker") is adjustable, so be sure that it's not too long that it runs into the backs of your knees.

The whole seatpan slides in and out from the back, so I should be able to get the depth right. However, the more I think about it, the less enthused I am by this one -- the other chairs I was interested in have reviews and a website, but this thing seems like a mystery chair with 2-3 companies' names attached to it.

This brought me back to the Aeron. I found a guy on craigslist selling one for $300, but it has non-adjustable armrests. According to the Aeron price list PDF, there is such a thing as an arm kit to retrofit it, but I can't find it online -- either from Herman Miller directly or elsewhere. Question: Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an adjustable arm kit to retrofit a fixed-arm Aeron?

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Scaramouche posted:

I used to work with HumanTouch and they're definitely legit. That lung chair looks weird though, why is it bigger on one side than the other?

Yeah, but HumanTouch is discontinuing it, and if you look it up on Youtube, a Korean company called Duoback is the developer. The clerk said that they were going to "find another distributor" for it, making me think that HumanTouch was just importing and rebadging it, and stopped for some reason. That, the complete lack of reviews or feedback online, makes me hesitant to plunk down so much money on it.

The lungs are the same size, just curved, so it looks lopsided in that picture.

EDIT: By the way, on Aeron chairs, is it possible to buy an adjustable arm kit to retrofit a fixed-arm model?

EDIT 2: Holy crap, I can get the lung chair for ~$250 from ebay if I search for the original Korean manufacturer, Duorest -- these things are $800 at the back store!

EDIT 3: I was wrong -- the ebay ones are the Dualinder Teen DR-750DS, which is a less fancy chair for kids. It may still be a decent chair, but I sent the guy a note asking if he can import the Adult Lung Chair.

Stabby McDamage fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 14, 2011

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

SMLJ posted:

I remember seeing that weird lung chair once, along with some crazy price tag around $1200 or somewhere in that range. So did you get it in the end? How do the lung-like back cushions work out?

I ended up getting a fully-loaded Aeron for $300 off craigslist.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What bugs me about that chair is I only see an up-down mechanism. That's pretty crappy, there's no seat or back tilt, let alone a seat depth slider.

Maybe there are on the $1200 models? Not that you should ever pay that much for a chair...

It actually has all those adjustments, including the seat depth slider, and was quite comfortable in the store.

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was looking at the ones on the eBay page. They must be an older model or something because they only have the one paddle in the picture. I was thrown off because there are knobs instead of levers that controls those functions. If that is a good chair, then I guess it's a pretty good deal.

Yeah, the ebay guy is selling the "teen" version of the lung chair, which you can find in a separate place on the manufacturer page. The Alpha is the flagship chair from that company, and has every knob and slider you could imagine. Still, I'm fine with my used Aeron for half that price.