Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Oh joy, more things to spend money on!

I move around. A lot. I move from sitting bolt upright, to leaning to one side, to reclining, to reeeaally reclining. Do the chairs like the Leap or Embody, that claim to move with you, really feel better than chairs that have reclining backs and tiltable seats?

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

There's a guy in the Seattle area who sells a ton of used office furniture. He's got a huge lot of Steelcase Criterions for $135 a piece. I think I may pick one up in the next few weeks. Can't beat a decent price like that.

Hah, I think I've seen that guy's craigslist ads. Do you by chance know what he charges for Leaps, or is it a case by case thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Found out the proprietor of a seating store around here was getting rid of his year-old all-black Embody for 50%. No real way I could pass that up. I'll post a trip report in a few days of moving from a 1985 low-back, fixed-arm task chair to this.... thing.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I guess I should pass this info on to yous guys: I got it from Design Within Reach in Kirkland, WA. They're having a sale (Officially starting February 12th) on their floor models: Everything is 30% or more off. The Embody I got is actually what Jim, the manager, sat in every day. They also have a Mirra, at least one Aeron, and a Humanscale Freedom, amongst lots of other non-task chairs (Like an Eames Lounge ohgod).

Anyone in the Seattle area should look them up and give Jim a call if you've been looking for a new chair.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Ethereal posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get an embody for? I'm looking to get a new chair for work, and want to pick up something nice.

Maneki Neko posted:

Hmm, I'm in Kirkland and have a decent income tax refund heading my way, maybe I'll swing by and see what they've got.

50% of $1400 came out to $766 after tax. It was 50% due to it missing one of the two tensioning straps that help the seat depth adjuster (but it still works fine), and there are a couple light scuffs on the plastic, plus the manager sat in it every day for over a year.

There's a Mirra and Aeron at DWR, both should be about $600 after the floor model discount. When I was looking at the Mirra and Aeron, I couldn't see any issues with their fit and finish, and they are demo chairs, so sat in briefly by customers, but not day in, day out use.

Niwrad posted:

I've had a Mirra for about 6 years and love it. It takes a little while to get used to but will feel like a glove within a week. The most important aspect of Herman Miller chairs is the warranty. It's really remarkable. I've had two problems, both my own doing and they fixed it no questions asked.

1) I was on the phone and spinning the chair around like an idiot while standing next to it and the plastic back ripped away from the spine of it. They next day aired me a new back piece without even taking a look at it.

2) When moving I accidentally punctured the mesh. The hole slowly got larger the more I used it. Didn't think they'd cover it but called and they came out the next day and did. Didn't have to pay for anything.

So I guess the service is worth the extra money here. If the chair is something that is important and something you use a lot, spend the money and get something high quality.

Two questions for you: With the Mirra, do you feel the bar that goes under the seat pan pressing against the undersides of your thighs? I demoed a Mirra, and could feel that bar pressing harder than the rest of the mesh. I guess it's kind of moot now, but I'm curious, as both I and my gf noticed it, but the shop manager said he'd never heard of anyone complaining about it.

The Mirra back though, that is fantastic! Much more comfortable than the Aeron.

Second, I need to get a replacement tension strap for the seat depth mechanism on my Embody, how did you go about contacting HM? I used this directory of HM Warranty Centers to locate the one serving my area and emailed them, but I haven't heard back. Did you contact HM Customer Service directly?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

citywok posted:

Yea, it's definitely not great to sit all the way up, but when your butt is on the edge of your seat after half an hour it's better than the alternative. I find myself adjusting in my chair constantly.

Aeron, task chair, or "comfy big leather chair" all end up with the same slouching result. Gah.

This is why I love my embody. I just stick my butt back up against the backrest, and use the tilt tension/tilt limiter controls to adjust how much I want to lean. If I'm gaming, I set it so I'm straight upright. Reading SA, watching movies, etc, I drop it back a few notches so I can still get the comfort of slouching while still being supported.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Stabby McDamage posted:

I have a Healthy Back store nearby, so I was able to try all these crazy chairs out. I liked the Human Touch Alpha 80 -- the weird one with the two lungs for a backrest:

Anyone have any experience with this? A review from someone who's had it long-term would be ideal, because I want to make sure that it's comfortable long-term, not just in the store.

Also, the original manufacturer, Human Touch, is discontinuing it, and they're finding a new vendor to make the same chair.

Well, it appears that the legs and castors are an optical illusion, so be careful with that...

OK, being serious now. Having never sat in one, I'm going to judge it on it's appearances, just like any good American should. Two things: The edge of the seatpan is hard plastic, and it doesn't look like the front edge of the seatpan (AKA the "kneefucker") is adjustable, so be sure that it's not too long that it runs into the backs of your knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

titaniumone posted:

Reposting to try to get the attention of jerks with Herman Miller Embody:

Jerk with an Embody here. I have black balance fabric on mine, and it's very comfortable and springy. It's also much smoother than the rhythm fabric.