Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been thinking that the chair I sit in at work is really nice and I should get one of those. So I open this thread and finally look up what an Aeron is. Turns out it's an aeron chair. So thanks for crushing my dreams of having a nice chair, thread.

At least the government was willing to pay 600 bucks each for a bunch of chairs to sit in while I browse the internet all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've used aeron chairs at work for a year and they are amazing. I wish I could afford one. Now we have Steelcase chairs and they are alright, but somehow they purchased the ugliest colors possible for them. The think is a pretty decent chair, too bad it's 800 dollars.

Though the i2i is retarded. I first sat in one and thought "ok, this is alright." Then I noticed the seat and back rotate independently. I wondered why anyone would need this and then looked it up and apparently "The chair’s back and seat swivel independently allowing users respond to the moment while maintaining focus. Swivel the seat and back together, swivel the back only, swivel the seat only."

I'm probably just going to end up with some ikea or office depot chair because I'm too cheap to spend 800 dollars on my back. I once sat in a chair with an arm missing and the back of it was falling off and I had to sit in it in a particular way which hurt my back because I was too cheap to buy a better one.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 14, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know a guy who has been farting in aeron chairs for several years to no adverse effects.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I bought a Realspace Calusa from Office Depot for about a hundred bucks (regular price claimed is 180). It's alright, I wanted a mesh backed chair because that's the main thing I like about the aeron. It's been comfortable enough sitting in so far, but I haven't done that too much as I don't have a desk yet. I got that instead of an Aeron because I simply don't have the money to buy an Aeron at the moment what with buying all kinds of other things for my apartment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's the only one I found remotely comfortable at a price I can afford right now. And mine has more lumbar support than any of the lovely flat backed chairs did in there. Just go sit in chairs they have. I think this one was rated for 3-5 hours which is the most I'd spend in it at a time anyways. If you need decent lumbar support, you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a more expensive chair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I realized that in the course of the past several months, I've sat in several Steelcase chairs. Every single one of them aside from the actual task chairs are uncomfortable to sit in for more than five seconds. I don't know how they can make computer chairs that are tolerable to sit in, yet make everything else so uncomfortable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How old is the chair? I had one chair for a few years and eventually it just started sinking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried out the size-b Aeron and it was not pleasant at all. The hard plastic edge at the front cut off the circulation in my legs. I'm 5'9" and this should have been the perfect size for me according to their chart. I couldn't sit in that thing for more than 10 minutes. I wish you could adjust the seat depth like on the Leap chairs.

Did you set the seat height correctly?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How reclinable? The Aeron reclines.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've discovered that the ugliness of Steelcase's fabrics know no bounds. I thought I had seen it all with green and brown and weird patterns and bacon couches. I saw some that are like a blue green and purple Cosby sweater. The pattern is physically three dimensional, so you can feel all the raised bits as you sit on it and it feels like it would get really hot. I'm glad I don't have to sit on those. I don't understand why they picked that fabric because the cabinets they chose have a decent green fabric which would have been just fine for the chairs as well.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you have the picture?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

johnnyXcrane posted:

Is the Leap V2 really that good? It really looks like an cheap chair that you could get in every store.
I'm living in Germany and got no chance to sit in one. I just found some used Leap on Ebay for 357euro, and im thinking of just buying it.
Aerons are really expensive here, a new one costs like 1400euro. :(

It may looks the same as other chairs, but it isn't. You really have to sit in these chairs to realize why they are so expensive. If you're used to office depot chairs where it's all slammed together with allen bolts and everything rattles around no matter how much you tighten it, a decent chair is a world of difference. You also get a lot more adjustments out of a good chair

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It might not be super cushy but it won't give you any back pain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

western eyes posted:

Anyone here have a Steelcase Amia?

I found a local dealership and tried the Leap, Think, and Amia. The Leap was nice but probably out of my price range, the Think was kinda unimpressive, even though it's above the Amia, and the Amia seemed like it would be a nice fit between $$$$ and ergonomics. But I'm wondering if anyone has any long-term impressions about them.

The Amia doesn't look like it has seat depth options. And it looks like it has the standard Steelcase depth of "halfway under the seat back." If you can set them up right, Steelcase chairs feel pretty nice. But right out of the box, it feels like they are trying to squeeze me out of the chair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the problem is the companies make chairs to be comfortable to sit in, but the only way to make money is to sell in bulk to companies. The companies don't really care about what the char is as long as it looks professional, so they buy poo poo tons of them. It's not very cost effective to sell chairs to individuals so the only way to get access to them is to have tried several (which I've had the chance to, fitting up new buildings at work), or hope some liquidator has a decent selection. So you end up with consumers who have no idea there is an entire industry for making chairs that won't hurt them because there's no easy way for them to acquire said chairs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think steelcase makes lovely couches and lounge area chairs so you have to buy their expensive ergonomic chairs. These couch things feel like they are just bits of plywood with fabric stapled on. If you plonk down too hard on one, you'll probably hurt your back and now you have to buy an ergonomic chair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I sit in a steelcase think all day and it's pretty comfortable even if it is horrifically upholstered. The seat depth is adjustable to the point where it feels like I'm sitting on a church pew, so you shouldn't have any problems with that. I don't know how much the leap is adjustable in that capacity. I've only sat in one a couple times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've noticed that with a lot of the steelcase chairs. They aren't soft and comfortable, but they support you just right that it isn't uncomfortable. You can tell that the 800 dollars that it costs is actually going towards something. Though, they are being wasted on the people I work with. Someone has said "these chairs are lovely." I don't know why. Someone was surprised that they cost so much, and he could have bought "a really nice leather chair" for that much. And they like to destroy them by flipping them, smashing them together, spilling poo poo on them and ripping them up. When we were first moving into the building, the chairs had really nice casters. Another person and I would have races around the empty room in them. And they are quite sturdy as a few people were playing bumper chairs in them for some stupid reason and hit each other hard enough to crack the one piece of plastic on the back of one but nothing else was damaged.

My workplace is more of an experiment to give a bunch of 20 somethings expensive chairs and see what they do with them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
After spending the past week sitting in an Aeron again, I kind of wish we had taken some of them after we moved to a new location.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm still sitting in this piece of poo poo and the arms are just where I want them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How small are you? I'm 5'9. In the steelcase Think I sit in at work, I have the arm rests pulled all the way up and that's just the right height for me not to have my arms sag down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you hang it from that ceiling fan on the bottom or something? Or is it a hover chair?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DevCore posted:

Also could anyone identify this chair?
http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/3961247295.html

I'm scheduled to see it later today, but I know nothing about it other than it cost $500 retail and she's getting rid of it for $75.

Looks like some sort of Steelcase. I think it's the "think."

Yeah: http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/seating/task/think/pages/overview.aspx

It's a good chair. I sit in one all day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The knob attached to the seat height lever changes the tension on the seat back. It's not perfect, but can help limit how far back you go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A big plastic mat has always made the carpet under it all smashed and hosed up. I rolled my chair around on just the carpet for over a year with no damage to it. The wheels of the chair are always on a different part of the carpet, whereas all of the carpet is smashed with a mat. Getting a rug wouldn't hurt to handle damage from rolling the chair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Headrests on office chairs are bad for you. It makes your neck weak.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Cheap chairs can be just fine, I sit in a cheap chair all the time at home. I can feel that it's cheap though. I sit in a steelcase think all day at work and I can feel the difference. There are idiots at work who think they are lovely chairs because they aren't all padded and comfy with fake leather or whatever. They don't cause any back pain though. I sit in it for several hours at a time and I don't even get slightly uncomfortable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How does that even work? Most of that guy's weight is not even over the base.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, that's my lovely office depot chair fancied up with fake leather.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Some Steelcase chairs I can see why they cost what they do. Other chairs, it's just confusing. How does the cobi cost 400 dollars? That thing is a piece of poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We have steelcase furniture and the desks and cabinets and actual task chairs are all good. But the other fringe areas of seating are weird as poo poo. They are all plastic and rubber and are terrible to sit on. There's one chair that's all mesh and the seat and back swivel separately.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ugh, if only I had 400 bucks laying around I would buy that think.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Aeron used to be the be all end all ergonomic chair. Now there are better designed chairs by other companies as well as Herman Miller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That makes sense. Before I had ever seen an Aeron, I had only heard of it through goons. I assumed it was some sort of mesh goon hammock. I didn't realize I had been sitting in one at work until I finally looked it up one day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's odd to see goons turn on the aeron when it used to be I had only heard of it because goons loved it so much.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just don't use one. A mat is guaranteed to smash all the carpet under it. Your chair will only smash some of the carpet some of the time. Unless you're rolling back and forth all day, you aren't going to ruin your carpet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How long did you use the chair on the carpet? I'm on some sort of wood laminate now, but I've never had a problem with a chair on carpet. Any mat I've ever used hasn't so much distributed the weight of the chair as it has just become indented where the chair wheels are and smash the entire area of carpet anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I sit in one nearly every day, it's pretty nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It weakens your neck muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

During extended sessions at the desk, my trapezius usually becomes sore. What does it indicate I should look into adjusting?

Maybe the arm rests. If they raise your arms up and hunch your shoulders, then lower them. If your arms don't reach them at all, raise them so you can rest your arms on them.