Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I vote for the Lyrian Commonwealth.

I'd like to be a 'Mechwarrior, too. You should still have my e-mail address from the Star Trekkin' thing.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The problem with a Lyran group (other than leadership, but PTN's changes have managed to dodge the bullet on at least one of those) is that since they looove their assault mechs, a well-played group of lights and mediums can really gently caress you up.

Would be an interesting choice to play as, though, have to admit. Especially since you've got the Clans knocking on the doorstep from the start.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'd offer to be a pilot, but Mechwarrior's one game I've never actually gotten round to playing. Played a little (very little) Heavy Gear, but that's about it, and I don't want to be too much of a liability: everyone laughs at the noob and all his silly mistakes until he sets the command transport on fire and kills 36 visiting ambassadors.

In any case, I cast my vote for the Davion Heavy Guards. Sure, we won't know what we're facing, but it gives ss the REALLY BIG MECHS WITH COLOSSAL SHOOTY BITS :black101: so in the end it all balances out, right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm chalking that up as a vote for the Gray Death Legion.

Also, Focht is Frederick Steiner, and he's currently the General of the Armies of the Lyran Commonwealth.

... which means the Clans on that side of the Inner Sphere have to start out fighting the man responsible for kicking their asses in the real timeline.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, Focht is Frederick Steiner, and he's currently the General of the Armies of the Lyran Commonwealth.

I was trying not to 'spoil' that little thing. :doh: But I guess for all we know it won't even happen now.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Sure, we won't know what we're facing, but it gives ss the REALLY BIG MECHS WITH COLOSSAL SHOOTY BITS :black101: so in the end it all balances out, right?

Surprise! They're all Chargers!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I want to see some Kell Hounds.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Yeah, not gonna lie, the GDL would be my second choice. If the current tide of Kell Hounds voting stops (please don't Kell Hounds are going to rule) I would probably tactically vote for them at need.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tempest_56 posted:

Big mechs. Colossal shooty bits.

I will not be swayed on this matter :colbert:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I almost voted Grey Death Legion but..Well..Kell Hounds. Kell Hounds rock.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

Oh poo poo, changing my vote to Davion Heavy Guard.

(Only if they really are all Chargers though)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Big mechs. Colossal shooty bits.

I will not be swayed on this matter :colbert:

If you want big stompy mechs you should vote Lyran.

Here's the Lyran scout mech:

(It's 80 tons)

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 21, 2011

Dominus Caedis
Sep 17, 2007
Stupid Noob
Voting Comstar because who wouldn't want to work for the phone company while driving a 50 ft tall death robot. Also means we get to fight Clanners earlier and I hate me some Clanners. Will pilot if need be, no PMs but will put an e-mail up when needed.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

WarLocke posted:

That would honestly be hilarious. Just an entire 24-mech company of NOTHING BUT CHARGERS. Fear the sting of 5 whole small lasers! :rolleyes:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Agent Interrobang posted:

That would honestly be hilarious. Just an entire 24-mech company of NOTHING BUT CHARGERS. Fear the sting of 5 whole small lasers! :rolleyes:

Twelve, not twenty four.

Four mechs to a lance.
Three lances to a company.
Three companies to a battalion.
Three battalions to a regiment.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

If you want big stompy mechs you should vote Lyran.

Here's the Lyran scout mech:

(It's 80 tons)

and it moves 2 1 2 ;)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dominus Caedis posted:

Voting Comstar because who wouldn't want to work for the phone company while driving a 50 ft tall death robot. Also means we get to fight Clanners earlier and I hate me some Clanners.

Awesome, I get to use this image again:

We'd be the recon company of course. :science:

(Also a company of mechs is only 12, 4 4-mech lances (traditionally); a battalion would be 36 mechs)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Shooting is not what you bring a charger to do. Chargers are your team's linebackers.

... that makes me want to come up with a 'football' scenario.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Kenlon posted:

Twelve, not twenty four.

Four mechs to a lance.
Three lances to a company.
Three companies to a battalion.
Three battalions to a regiment.

...you can tell how long it's been since I played this. :downs:

Awright, that's it, cracking open the rulebook and figuring out just how much knowledge-seep there's been.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shooting is not what you bring a charger to do. Chargers are your team's linebackers.

I thought the Linebacker was the team linebacker. :downsrim:

Shiva Asori
Mar 5, 2010
Put in a vote for Kell Hounds.

I also wish to be a mechwarrior, but this would be my first time so I'm willing to wait, so I can see how play properly.

You can use email or forum PM to talk to me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Locust-ball"?

I thought the Linebacker was the team linebacker. :downsrim:

Ahahahaha! Hah... Oh, man... a Line-

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Omnimechs after 3050 are all junk. :colbert:

(Seriously why would you ever need more than a dozen or so chassis when you can swap out armament and have 3 dozen 'official' loadouts or whatever)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

"Locust-ball"?

Kick-The-Urbanmech.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Ahahahaha! Hah... Oh, man... a Line-

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Omnimechs after 3050 are all junk. :colbert:

(Seriously why would you ever need more than a dozen or so chassis when you can swap out armament and have 3 dozen 'official' loadouts or whatever)

Yeah, pretty much. I mean... OMNIMECH. The whole point is that they're modular, and thus, you don't need to keep making new designs. Especially not stupid-looking ones.

Besides, everyone knows the best OmniMech is the Summoner. :colbert:

cookieman
Jan 19, 2009
Sign me up as a mechwarrior, and put my vote down for the Northwind Highlanders

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Battlemechs playing football? Hmm...sounds like an awsome idea.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's already a giant arena in the Steiner Colosseum on Solaris. Let's go for it. Biggest bowl game EVER!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I vote Death Commandos and I also vote Crazy-rear end North Korea-Inspired Capellan Confederation led by True Leader Max.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

WarLocke posted:

Sanest explanation: Omni-mechs aren't entirely omni. Reconfiguring a machine to use a non-standard loadout takes significant time/effort due to all the tweaks needed (gyro balancing, electronics and targeting reconfiguration, etc). So, what you get are pre-designed setup packages (Prime/A/B/C, etc) that can be quickly swapped in and set up.

You're a Khan/saKhan/House Lord/Natasha 'I will gently caress you up' Kerensky? You get a custom layout.
You're just a mechwarrior? You don't.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Besides, everyone knows the best OmniMech is the Summoner. :colbert:

Warhawk, darn it. Or the Marauder IIC.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

There's already a giant arena in the Steiner Colosseum on Solaris. Let's go for it. Biggest bowl game EVER!

Wait wait. I have the perfect name for it: Rasalhague Ball! :D

Polaron posted:

Warhawk, darn it. Or the Marauder IIC.

IIC models are not Omnis.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mahoshonen posted:

Battlemechs playing football? Hmm...sounds like an awsome idea.

There was a tabletop game that was basically American football with giant robots, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Wait wait. I have the perfect name for it: Rasalhague Ball! :D

IIC models are not Omnis.

Doh.

Been a long, long time since I did any Battleteching, clearly. :shobon:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, pretty much. I mean... OMNIMECH. The whole point is that they're modular, and thus, you don't need to keep making new designs. Especially not stupid-looking ones.

Serious discussion: I honestly can't think of a reason why you would need more than (maybe) 2 omnimech chassis for each weight bracket (20, 25, 30, etc) except for maaaybe one or two 'special snowflake' designs for each Clan.

Kenlon posted:

Sanest explanation: Omni-mechs aren't entirely omni. Reconfiguring a machine to use a non-standard loadout takes significant time/effort due to all the tweaks needed (gyro balancing, electronics and targeting reconfiguration, etc). So, what you get are pre-designed setup packages (Prime/A/B/C, etc) that can be quickly swapped in and set up.

Yeah, I get that line of reasoning (even agree with it) but there really wouldn't be an '5 loadout maximum' rule or whatever. You can just eas easily have a Masakari-J or Nova-N, etc.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 21, 2011

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Northwind Highlanders just like in my lp of Mechwarrior: Mercs. Also I want to die in a mech so my email is monkeygames@hotmail.com

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Whoops, also volunteering for glorious death in battle.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Serious discussion: I honestly can't think of a reason why you would need more than (maybe) 2 omnimech chassis for each weight bracket (20, 25, 30, etc) except for maaaybe one or two 'special snowflake' designs for each Clan.

Serious answer: mostly, Clan Coyote having nothing to do besides design mechs since they never really fight anybody, and the requisite inter-clan 'we have the best unique designs' pissing contests.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also their fascination with totem-mechs plays into it although that could fall under the "special snowflake" category.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Really, because chicks- even clan chicks- dig sexy mechs.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Any idea how much we would need to learn about the game system in order to function properly as pilots? Read a gamebook end to end or just a familiarity with the game world?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Really, because chicks- even clan chicks- dig sexy mechs.

There has NEVER been a more appropriate time for this. Also: it's true, we DO. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

There has NEVER been a more appropriate time for this. Also: it's true, we DO. :swoon:

Thank you for saving me the trouble of posting just that.

Chicks dig giant robot cars :rock:

• Locked thread