Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

I've got to get a picture of this!

Pladdicus posted:

Any idea how much we would need to learn about the game system in order to function properly as pilots? Read a gamebook end to end or just a familiarity with the game world?

Also kind of curious on this one. I'm pondering offering up my services as well, but I've never actually played Battletech proper. Plenty of Titans of Steel though, which would appear to be Battletech with the serial numbers filed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I assume you don't need *that* much knowledge of Battletech game mechanics in order to play. I could be wrong though. It has been ages since I played and I barely remember the game. You can always download megamek to get a feel for the rules and mechs

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

Any idea how much we would need to learn about the game system in order to function properly as pilots? Read a gamebook end to end or just a familiarity with the game world?

Most of the rules that are overly complicated i'm sure poptarts will do for you in the background, much of Battletech is placement and what to fire, where you are trying to hit and when you fire. The rest is dice rolls.

edit: I imagine most of the commands will be like this for even the most experienced player:

go to square [B,6] torso twist to the left, and fire my LRM 10 at the hermies ii
now laugh of the sucker who as the hermies ii

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mukaikubo posted:

Really, because chicks- even clan chicks- dig sexy mechs.

It's even cooler when you really get to pilot them. Back when the Virtual World centers were still around I loved to hit them up for the pods they had there - I never got to go after they had the updated Firestorm graphics but sitting in what was basically a cockpit with knobs and switches everywhere and a disembodied voice calmly stating things like "Heat critical, reactor shutdown imminent" was awesome. :aaa:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

KnoxZone posted:

I assume you don't need *that* much knowledge of Battletech game mechanics in order to play. I could be wrong though. It has been ages since I played and I barely remember the game. You can always download megamek to get a feel for the rules and mechs

Yeah, for the most part you say "I'm doing X", roll 2d6, and see what happens. It's honestly not that complicated to be honest.

Speaking of Megamek, I'd be very chuffed if someone could point me towards a resource on how to get the drat thing running properly. I'm bad at computers.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I loved playing the Mech Pods they had at Circle Center Mall here in Indianapolis.

They're gone now. :(

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

It's even cooler when you really get to pilot them. Back when the Virtual World centers were still around I loved to hit them up for the pods they had there - I never got to go after they had the updated Firestorm graphics but sitting in what was basically a cockpit with knobs and switches everywhere and a disembodied voice calmly stating things like "Heat critical, reactor shutdown imminent" was awesome. :aaa:

I love those, and wait did they do an upgrade to mech 4 graphics lately? i haven't gotten the newest add packs like i use too but please link a brother.

Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

I've got to get a picture of this!
You know what? Screw it, I'll sign up to be a pilot/player. Got PMs already and am more than ready to die in a horrific explosion of some sort.

Weekend availability will be a bit on the low side, as that's when I work (Friday Evening - Monday Morning), but aside from that I'm generally free.

Frankomatic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 21, 2011

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Most of the rules that are overly complicated i'm sure poptarts will do for you in the background, much of Battletech is placement and what to fire, where you are trying to hit and when you fire. The rest is dice rolls.

edit: I imagine most of the commands will be like this for even the most experienced player:

go to square [B,6] torso twist to the left, and fire my LRM 10 at the hermies ii
now laugh of the sucker who as the hermies ii

That being said, the explanation that miniatures are unnecessary has got me really wanting to pick up a rulebook, so covered either way!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Polaron posted:

I loved playing the Mech Pods they had at Circle Center Mall here in Indianapolis.

They're gone now. :(

Sometimes you can still find them at Dave and Buster's, I think they bought up all the pods (that weren't already sold to rich gently caress private collecters) when VWE went under.

I also get sad when I think about MechWarrior 5 and how it'll probably never come out. :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Edit: quoted the wrong thing.

It should be pretty newbie friendly, especially if you remind me you've never played before when your turn comes up (I'm more than willing to offer some help to people who've never played the game).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 21, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Axe-man posted:

I love those, and wait did they do an upgrade to mech 4 graphics lately? i haven't gotten the newest add packs like i use too but please link a brother.

Not exactly. The way I understand it is that the MW4 graphics engine is basically the same as the Firestorm update they developed for the pods, fleshed out with singleplayer gameplay and junk.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Veteran Battletech player here to offer up my services as a mechwarrior, this sounds like fun.

Voting for Northwind Highlanders.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

Sometimes you can still find them at Dave and Buster's, I think they bought up all the pods (that weren't already sold to rich gently caress private collecters) when VWE went under.

I also get sad when I think about MechWarrior 5 and how it'll probably never come out. :(

Harmony Gooooold :argh:

How much money are they POSSIBLY making squatting on the rights to those designs at this point?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: quoted the wrong thing.

It should be pretty newbie friendly, especially if you remind me you've never played before when your turn comes up (I'm more than willing to offer some help to people who've never played the game).

Well, in that case, sign me up for the biggest, stompiest mech you can find :kamina:

Email is alright, yes?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

I so wish it would. I was playign mech 4 for a bit until i remembered my old favorite expansion guys: http://www.mektek.net/index.php

I had fun playing the league as ironically the Kell Hounds in a stock mw4:merc league

Pladdicus posted:

That being said, the explanation that miniatures are unnecessary has got me really wanting to pick up a rulebook, so covered either way!

Miniatures are a Wiz Kids invention to make it more profitable, honestly the old pewter mechs were awesome if not hard to paint (at least for me a non model guy)

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 21, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

^^^: If your computer can run Crysis Wars there's a MechWarrior total conversion that's supposed to be pretty awesome. I wouldn't know since I can't get it to run on my computer for some reason though. :argh:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Well, in that case, sign me up for the biggest, stompiest mech you can find :kamina:

So a Goliath then?

(Quad 'mechs yay :downs:)

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.
I would like to see the Kell hounds under our command.

Also despite the fact that the closest I've been to the Battletech system is Mechwarrior 4, I would like to be a pilot.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WarLocke posted:

So a Goliath then?

Gods. Just put treads on it and make a tank at that point!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

WarLocke posted:

So a Goliath then?

Quads are pretty drat awesome in the latest iteration of the rules. Sidestepping, greater stability, and the ability to go hull down.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
^^^
the clicky mechs are even dumber

WarLocke posted:

So a Goliath then?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ares_(BattleMech)

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 21, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
All the people voting for the Northwind Highlanders: How many Scottish jokes can you put up with before you attempt to strangle yourself with your mouse cord, hmm? I invite you to reconsider and vote for the Kell Hounds. :glomp:

(before anyone calls me on it, yes, I know)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

What the poo poo

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

Gods. Just put treads on it and make a tank at that point!

The Clans pretty much did. They call it the Huitzilopochtli. Or, as it's more commonly known, the Aztec Assault Vehicle (because nobody has any clue how to pronouce it).

So, moral of the story, do not take vehicles lightly. They look like a joke right up until they ruin your poo poo.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

WarLocke posted:

So a Goliath then?

Yeah, that's pretty big. I suppose.

Mukaikubo posted:

All the people voting for the Northwind Highlanders: How many Scottish jokes can you put up with before you attempt to strangle yourself with your mouse cord, hmm? I invite you to reconsider and vote for the Kell Hounds. :glomp:

(before anyone calls me on it, yes, I know)

Speaking as an Actual Official Scotsman™, I'd be inclined to see how friendly fire works in that instance.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

What the poo poo

125 ton mech built so the clickytech guys could wave their cocks around and say SEE WE HAVE A BIGGERER AND BETTERER MECH, FORGET THAT OLD poo poo WE ARE THE NEW THING.

...it's not even a very good mech...

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

^^^: If your computer can run Crysis Wars there's a MechWarrior total conversion that's supposed to be pretty awesome. I wouldn't know since I can't get it to run on my computer for some reason though. :argh:

I hate to say this, but it is an absolutely incredible game. It's essentially Mechwarrior, online with up to like 32 players. Including VTOLs and Tanks.

It's easily one of my favorite multiplayer games, besides some silly bugs involving hangers that pop up.

Nothing like taking down an assault mecha with a fast light.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Pladdicus posted:

I hate to say this, but it is an absolutely incredible game. It's essentially Mechwarrior, online with up to like 32 players. Including VTOLs and Tanks.

It's easily one of my favorite multiplayer games, besides some silly bugs involving hangers that pop up.

Nothing like taking down an assault mecha with a fast light.

I'm downlaoding as we speak. I'm hopeful!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Mukaikubo posted:

125 ton mech built so the clickytech guys could wave their cocks around and say SEE WE HAVE A BIGGERER AND BETTERER MECH, FORGET THAT OLD poo poo WE ARE THE NEW THING.

Yeah, WizKids really did not get Battletech at all. Even their MECH DESIGNS are retarded Mary Sues.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clans pretty much did. They call it the Huitzilopochtli. Or, as it's more commonly known, the Aztec Assault Vehicle (because nobody has any clue how to pronouce it).

So, moral of the story, do not take vehicles lightly. They look like a joke right up until they ruin your poo poo.

Much more of that and it's an OGRE.

Waitaminute, an OGRE LP...

That sounds promising.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mars_%28Combat_Vehicle%29 As far as Giant loving Tanks go, I'm partial to this monster. Gauss Rifle, multiple LRM-15s and SSRM-6s, an ER large laser, fucktons of armor... :swoon:

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Yay Federated Commonwealth! Let's go with the Kell Hounds.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

Looking at its design, how the hell does it move? Those legs do not seem built for maneuverability.

Capskye
Nov 4, 2009

More bullets!
I'd also like to get in on this. Gonna toss my hat into the ring as a mech pilot. I'll have PM's available by the time things are ready to go.

As for a side, I think I'm gonna go with the Kell Hounds as well. I've always enjoyed the mercenary groups in Battletech, and this looks like a fun one to try out.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

That thing reminds me of the random bullshit munchkin designs I would make up with my friends when we were 12. Like, I took a Phoenix Hawk chassis once and made up some rule to give it an energy blade or something.

Looking at that thing just makes me think 'anime'. 3 pilots? And how the hell would you move at anything approaching speed with a tripedal leg design?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TildeATH posted:

Much more of that and it's an OGRE.

Waitaminute, an OGRE LP...

That sounds promising.

I don't know anything about this OGRE stuff, but I would pa good money for a BOLO game. :black101:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

WarLocke posted:

That thing reminds me of the random bullshit munchkin designs I would make up with my friends when we were 12. Like, I took a Phoenix Hawk chassis once and made up some rule to give it an energy blade or something.

Looking at that thing just makes me think 'anime'. 3 pilots? And how the hell would you move at anything approaching speed with a tripedal leg design?

It has something going for it as a deployable battle platform but it doesn't really seem like it's cost effective, since a standard assault could outgun and outmaneuver.

The whole 'It is also notable that, as a secret project, most of those MechWarriors are the research scientist's children or family and some also received training since their very childhood.' kind of coincides with the 'anime' thing.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

WarLocke posted:

It's work as an entrenched weapons platform if you replaced the arms with a couple of long-range guns or mortars, but I would not want to be the one taking it into combat.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Worst of all it makes no sense to make in anyway

it's a 100+ ton mech who carries less weapons then normal 100+ ton mechs and goes a zippy 28 km/h, I believe that makes it a 1/2/1 unless it has more armor than god I see no reason for it to ever exist. Everything, it does can be done better by something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I will throw away my vote on the Capellan Confederation because human wave attacks against 100-ton nuclear robots are awesome.

• Locked thread