Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well crap, I never got to get into Battletech when I was younger, so this will be awesome.

Please add me to the list for pilots

and throwing in a vote for a Griffin.

PPC Snype.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Rumda posted:

Really six pages in six hours, not that it matters any more considering the choice I would have made based purely off the opening posts is so far ahead, though I have no experience at all with Battletech before now signing up to participate seems like a good idea

Half of the fun of this thread is going to be second-guessing what people are choosing to do, and for that you don't need to have a whole lot of rules knowledge, most of it is common sense (have a lot of missiles? Stay back. In a light speedy mech? Don't stand still and trade shots. etc)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Longinus00 posted:

Same total armor (7.5 tons).

Then it's all about lrm15 verses jumpjets. I've had better luck with the burst hitting power of lrm 15s then the jumpjets, but not seeing the map, i really couldn't say.

Both are really solid choices, just a playstyle decision.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

WarLocke posted:

Half of the fun of this thread is going to be second-guessing what people are choosing to do, and for that you don't need to have a whole lot of rules knowledge, most of it is common sense (have a lot of missiles? Stay back. In a light speedy mech? Don't stand still and trade shots. etc)

Yeah- and also this is all going to simmer down once the initial rush is gone. I mean, it'll be fast pace, but not "a post a minute, every minute". :v:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

Those three "needs" pretty thoroughly eliminate most contenders. Of those remaining, as stated earlier, I think the Griffin GRF-1N is the best idea. It has long range weaponry, good movement, good armor, and doesn't look TOO stupid. The Dervish and the Trebuchet also work with those criteria but are significantly less armored which is a BAD thing if we're putting a lance commander inside.

I say go Griffin.

ffff changing my vote back to Griffin (last time I swear)

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I will not vote for an Inner Sphere faction, as I am not interested in playing one. However, I'd gladly throw my hat into the ring if you need an OpFor Clan commander. I was part of a Clan campaign for a couple of years, and am actually more familiar and comfortable with Clan tactics (including Zellbrigen) in the boardgame than I am with Inner Sphere tactics.

My skype name is "e.corbeau", and I've played MegaMek in the past. I'm not precisely sure how you intend to run this LP in the brass tacks, but I'd love to bid against you when Clans arrive in style.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mukaikubo posted:

Let's be clear, guys, and approach this reasonably rationally.

Needs: Decent speed (80+ km/h running) to keep up with scouts
Long range armament
Good armor protection

Wants: Jump jets
Badassery

Those three "needs" pretty thoroughly eliminate most contenders. Of those remaining, as stated earlier, I think the Griffin GRF-1N is the best idea. It has long range weaponry, good movement, good armor, and doesn't look TOO stupid. The Dervish and the Trebuchet also work with those criteria but are significantly less armored which is a BAD thing if we're putting a lance commander inside.

I say go Griffin.

The Shadow Hawk fits those requirement too. It can do everything. EVERYTHING! :colbert:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mukaikubo posted:

Let's be clear, guys, and approach this reasonably rationally.

Needs: Decent speed (80+ km/h running) to keep up with scouts
Long range armament
Good armor protection

Wants: Jump jets
Badassery

I say go Griffin.

You guys really shouldn't discount the Shadow Hawk or Wolverine as they are Griffins without the heat issues.

Griffin
pros:
2 long range weapons
minimal ammo issues

cons:
short range is iffy with the min range on the ppc and LRM
heat issues with extended fire

Wolverine and Shadow Hawk ( Hawk can't jump quite as far at 5/8/3)
pros:
no heat issues
can hold it's own at close ranges

fluff:
kell hounds did use wolverines

cons:
not as good at long ranges as griffin

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 22, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

WarLocke posted:

ffff changing my vote back to Griffin (last time I swear)

Incidentally, with MegaMek's huge database of everything, picking mechs like that is bog easy. I just pretty much did medium IS mechs, advanced search, walking speed of at least 5, at least one LRM 10 or LRM 15, manufacture date before 3025, and whoosh! Out popped a list of candidates. :v:

edit:

quote:

You guys really shouldn't discount the Shadow Hawk or Wolverine as they are Griffins without the heat issues.

Yeah, they're good, but they're kind of limited on long range firepower and I really want a lance commander's mech to be able to stay out of a fray and snipe. If not for that, both of those would be a great idea. :shobon: Ain't no thing, just making my own tempermental choices.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm throwing in a vote for a Griffin

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

There'll be plenty of opportunities. I'll add you to the list.

Oh sweet, thanks man.

Also, if the voting is still open for faction (I didn't notice you call it as over, but it seems like everybody has stopped) I'll add a vote for Kell Hounds. 'untrained recruits' seems to fit us perfectly!

For mech, I'll vote for the Shadow Hawk.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm downloading megamek now cause of this thread see what you started :argh:

edit: BTW, the voting is still opened and mech spots are there to be taken, so if your on the edge or think you "missed the boat" just post it!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Corbeau posted:

I will not vote for an Inner Sphere faction, as I am not interested in playing one. However, I'd gladly throw my hat into the ring if you need an OpFor Clan commander. I was part of a Clan campaign for a couple of years, and am actually more familiar and comfortable with Clan tactics (including Zellbrigen) in the boardgame than I am with Inner Sphere tactics.

My skype name is "e.corbeau", and I've played MegaMek in the past. I'm not precisely sure how you intend to run this LP in the brass tacks, but I'd love to bid against you when Clans arrive in style.

:raise: Contractions?

Tarquinn posted:

The Shadow Hawk fits those requirement too. It can do everything. EVERYTHING! :colbert:

... except decide what battlefield role it wants to fulfill. :v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mukaikubo posted:

It has long range weaponry, good movement, good armor, and doesn't look TOO stupid.

Great, you're suggesting a mech that looks like Wall-E...

Kidding. I think we need to concurrently get some megamek games going. It does multiplayer, right? And it's old-school rules, right?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

WarLocke posted:

:raise: Contractions?

Us freeborn don't always speak correctly, quiaff?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Corbeau posted:

Us freeborn don't always speak correctly, quiaff?

So if you're freeborn, do they stick you with the crap mechs like Vixens or what? :D

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

"Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, they're good, but they're kind of limited on long range firepower and I really want a lance commander's mech to be able to stay out of a fray and snipe. If not for that, both of those would be a great idea. :shobon: Ain't no thing, just making my own tempermental choices.

Well, do a little to much damage and you'll attract attention to the commander. Should the lance ever get flanked or ambushed then the griffin will have more trouble defending itself than the other options since all of its weapons suffer min range penalties.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Though it looks like the Griffin is running away with the vote, there's another machine that deserves consideration: The Phoenix Hawk.

6/9/6 movement, Large Laser, two medium lasers, and machine guns. This gives you appropriate firepower for any target. (Under the new rules, infantry are very hard to kill without appropriate weapons, and can actually dish out pain).

It really depends on what sort of medium lance Poptarts is building, honestly.

Mukaikubo posted:

Remember, in 3025, a PPC or AC/5 is long range firepower. The only thing that reaches further than 18 hexes is LRMs and the laughable AC/2.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 22, 2011

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

WarLocke posted:

So if you're freeborn, do they stick you with the crap mechs like Vixens or what? :D

I play Ghost Bear, so no. Though I have no idea what the OP has done with the Ghost Bears in his timeline.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

WarLocke posted:

First OpFor casualty spotted.

Screw you, the Hussar is awesome. The HSR-200-D is a man's harrasser mech. The -300-D isn't bad, but didn't transition well to 3025 tech. And the other designs aren't really Hussars. :colbert:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
No one suggested the noble hunchback?

I believe it's 3025 and just look at it's picture! Who needs armor?! :laugh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I vote we get an Uziel. Gun robot.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kenlon posted:

Though it looks like the Griffin is running away with the vote, there's another machine that deserves consideration: The Phoenix Hawk.

I have an irrational hatred of the Phoenix Hawk. :argh:

Axe-man posted:

No one suggested the noble hunchback?

Hunchback is a cool mech but no way would i put one in a scout lance. The thing is relatively slow and short-ranged (even if it can blow your drat head off within that range).

Arglebargle III posted:

I vote we get an Uziel. Gun robot.

Sadly Uziels don't exist at this point in time. :(

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Well, how 'bout this big fat hint: jump jets are really, really good - moreso if you're not experienced with the game.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

WarLocke posted:

Hunchback is a cool mech but no way would i put one in a scout lance. The thing is relatively slow and short-ranged (even if it can blow your drat head off within that range).

Hunchback HBK-4J
all joking aside, seriously the hunchback is so old, if you have a situation there is a hunchback varient for it.

if only they had taken out 2 medium lasers and strapped on more engine :raise: but it was more in jest :)

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 22, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Move your whole walking distance without paying extra for turning, then land facing any direction you want, all for the cost of some slight heat build up? Yes, Jump jets are good.

cookieman
Jan 19, 2009
I vote for a Griffin.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Move your whole walking distance without paying extra for turning, then land facing any direction you want, all for the cost of some slight heat build up? Yes, Jump jets are good.

To be fair, it also royally dicks your ability to actually hit anything a bit more than it dicks anyone else's ability to hit you... but yeah, they're really handy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If it's not too late, I'd like to sign up as a mechwarrior. I've had a Platinum upgrade for awhile now, so I may as well get some use out of it. I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the setting, but dammit, I know I love wrecking poo poo up in giant robots, and that's all I need to know. :colbert:

If voting for a unit is still open, Kell Hounds.

Mech choice vote is for the Griffin.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mukaikubo posted:

To be fair, it also royally dicks your ability to actually hit anything a bit more than it dicks anyone else's ability to hit you... but yeah, they're really handy.

The modifiers equals out at 5-6 jumped spaces and are favorable for the jumper at distances greater than that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'd like to sign up as a mechwarrior, I played some Megamek and when my machines aren't shot in the head with a gauss rifle in the first shooting phase I even win (sometimes).

Also don't have PMs so how should I get my email to you, Poptartsninja?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Longinus00 posted:

The modifiers equals out at 5-6 jumped spaces and are favorable for the jumper at distances greater than that.

...huh, I could have sworn breakeven was at 7 hexes and not 5, making it almost never, but on further review you are correct. Neat!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

WarLocke posted:

Serious discussion: I honestly can't think of a reason why you would need more than (maybe) 2 omnimech chassis for each weight bracket (20, 25, 30, etc) except for maaaybe one or two 'special snowflake' designs for each Clan.

You still got a lotta omni designs with terrible, terrible armor and fixed critical allocations.

coughhackhellbringercough

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If you're talking Heavy, then you only ever need one. The Timber Wolf. Clearly superior to every other Heavy Omnimech ever designed, it really points out the core flaws of having Omnimechs in the Battletech construction system.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
gently caress yes, Battletech. My first online game was the original MechCommander.

I'll sign up to be a pilot; no pms, so my email is redacted. I'd vote for the Highlanders, but it seems we're pretty much going for the Kell Hounds anyway.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 23, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'm available for anything, am a 20-year veteran of this game, own almost everything you can own regarding this game and vote for a Rifleman if we get to choose a mech. If we don't get heavies, then Jenners, Wolverines or Stalkers are my choices.

Also, no single unit is cooler than Cranston Snord's Irregulars. Who else would cross half the known universe to hunt down some Elvis records?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

Stalkers

I don't think PTN wants an assault mech in this medium lance. :D

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I don't think PTN wants an assault mech in this medium lance. :D

Stalkers work fine with absolutely everything. We'll run recon in force then.

Also, fine touch changing the history of Inner Sphere. While the successors of Stefan Amaris were ultimately successful at slowing down the clans, the grandchildren of Aramis are proactive and prepared to take the fight forward. Sometimes it's the slightest detail that makes all the difference.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I thought I'd show this off to all of you who have Mercwarrior:mercs
mektek does a fine job in my opinion!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

I just realized that I want in on the explody goodness. Sign me up as a pilot!

• Locked thread