Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Since the Flashman's main advantage was its speed... I see that 'Mech going down, HARD, next turn. May as well start cussin' out those Clanners' sibkos before you get hammered into tiny, tiny little pieces by those AC/2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wow, we got mauled all to hell that round. It's time for a Careful Stand and hopefully another headshot or two on the clanners.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hey, Poptarts, your summary says the King Crab IIC held its position in 0913, but the map indicates it moved to 1114; which is correct?

Sair
May 11, 2007

And that's why you love the gauss.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Okay, idea:

Flashman backs up 1 hex and turns to face F5, which it engages alongside the Lynx. It's a 40 tonner that only moved 6 this round, I think you might be able to cripple or kill it. The Lynx is right now unengaged, the Donars are facing in the wrong direction to shoot it, and basically right now you can stay still and pound F5 until it dies, I think.

Everyone else, I dunno, I'd like for the Dervish IIC to be brought down but it might be worthwhile taking out the Donars first. Both of them are in pretty close, they're going for point blank shots it seems.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Well I'm happy about the headcap, but I moved to my hex specifically because I thought the height 5 hex would block F2 from shooting me, since it's considered to be along the LOS.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Well, this round indeed proves that the King Crab gives no fucks; one shot and the Hunchback is down. Like another has said, however, the Flashman is probably going to be destroyed soon. Also, The Lynx's left torso is bare and showing internals already.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Crabguard got a serious rear end-whipping handed to it there. The Battletech Dice Gods are feeling their mojo today.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
PTN, the clones are piloting again.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Xmas Future posted:

Well I'm happy about the headcap, but I moved to my hex specifically because I thought the height 5 hex would block F2 from shooting me, since it's considered to be along the LOS.

it should have, defender always draws the advantage in los directly down a boundary line like in this case.

Edit: KING CRAB THERE IS A DELICIOUS VTOL NEXT TO YOU, you can stand still and pound it with your large pulse laser and srms at point blank range, while shooting the f2 with your gauss rifles, do not use your lrms if you do so due to overheating.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 11, 2011

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SilentW posted:

Since the Flashman's main advantage was its speed... I see that 'Mech going down, HARD, next turn. May as well start cussin' out those Clanners' sibkos before you get hammered into tiny, tiny little pieces by those AC/2s.

My techno-mystic blood lust says don't even worry about surviving. The Flashbulb should saunter up those cliffs and blind the hell out of the King Crab IIC until either it or the clanner is dead. And by blind I mean head cap him.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Saunter up? I'm five hexes out right now. Since that loving bane will have TN 2 to hit me no matter how I move I am going to stand still and shoot the bastard with TN 4 Large Lasers and TN 6 Medium Lasers.

The Bane will win the shoot out but it will not be pretty and it will take it two rounds of solid fire to chew through my armor barring a lot of luck with focused hit locations.

Reminder to the comguard, V1 has zero front armor, put drat near anything in its face and it dies.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
I don't think we're doing so badly, all things considered. We've taken some nasty crits, but because Clanners don't focus fire they can't really put us into the ground . Plus, their main source of one-shoting is now a headless wreck that's perfectly intact for salvage. Assuming that none of our pilots get knocked out or sandblasted to death, we should be able to win by attrition.

I recommend that the King Crab shows how it gives no fucks about that Pony mech that's shooting it and returns fire with maximum prejudice. Some other mechs should probably help out: the faster we knock these clanners out, the more likely we are of winning this thing. Alternatively, dog pile that Bane. The more turns it's alive, the more it can slap you in the head until you get knocked out and then dead-ed.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Nevets posted:

I have a spare copy of Terraria from a 4-pack I bought a while ago.

I'll offer it to the first crab who gets a headshot that results in a wounded or dead clanner.

DatonKallandor come on down!

For turning the gaussback's cockpit into a doughnut, you get a shiny new copy of Terraria! (This seemed more valuable before Steam had it on sale 50% off.) If you already have the game (or you just hate fun) you can come up with your own challenge and I'll give it to the first pilot who meets it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nevets posted:

DatonKallandor come on down!

For turning the gaussback's cockpit into a doughnut, you get a shiny new copy of Terraria! (This seemed more valuable before Steam had it on sale 50% off.) If you already have the game (or you just hate fun) you can come up with your own challenge and I'll give it to the first pilot who meets it.

Daton if you already have it give it to me as a late birthday present :3:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
This turn actually turned out amazingly for the crabguard! (and recall I'm the guy who was just drat near immobilized)

Our lucky headshot was a kill while theirs was just a knockdown, and their lucky TACs didn't actually remove my mech as a threat. The Donars are in good positions to take out this turn and, presuming they don't end up TAG-ing both the King Crab and Black Knight for offmap artillery I think we've got a much better chance of winning now than we had last turn

I just won't be living through the battle to see it :black101:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I should mention the King Crab is asserting its mvp dominance early.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
It's the god drat King Boss Crab of the Crab Guard. Of course it's going to come out on top.

I look forward to many more decapitations. I said earlier that I would have been happy with one Gauss-related Head Explosion. Any more are now just extra icing on the pony-fillet cake.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the King Crab has always been the epitome of 'Give No Fucks'. Its weapons are almost always guns that are capable of one-shotting other Mechs. Commando? Atlas? It does not care.

Anyway, as always pilots, pick something this turn to kill and the dog pile it.

Chicken Slayer fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 11, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
...is that Donar trying to ram the Black Knight? No wonder PTN's been concealing Pilot Tyra's identity.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
King Crab. Giving No Fucks since 2741

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

landcollector posted:

Well, this round indeed proves that the King Crab gives no fucks; one shot and the Hunchback is down. Like another has said, however, the Flashman is probably going to be destroyed soon. Also, The Lynx's left torso is bare and showing internals already.

The Flashman's armor is nearly intact, it's just moving very slow. This would be a problem, except it's in fairly close range to the Bane. At close range, superior Clan pilot skills don't matter as much. But for now, I'd want to try taking out the lighter combatants if at all possible. Bring down the 40 ton Pony if you can, it didn't move that much this round.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
Excellent work. I'm really glad that Hunchback is out of the picture. Now... can we win? :D

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Great turn guys, and a drat lucky kill on that Gaussback. Okay, my tactical suggestions:

King Crab: Hold position. You are 7 hexes away from F5 - this is your perfect kill zone. You are in range for every single one of your weapons, and in (effective) short range for all but the SSRMs. (Technically you're in medium range with the LPL, but with a -2 tohit, it's effectively short range.) You have 7s on it - you will never have a better shot. Murder the son of a bitch. You are the heaviest firepower here, you should be able to mostly obliterate that mech in one salvo.

Flashman: You're basically hosed. Advance to 1416 and unleash everything you can on F1. Your crippled hip means you're not gonna catch anybody else, and your best bet to survive that thing is to get in close. Keep it's attention and soak as many AC2s as you can before you go down.

Black Knight: Hold position, torso twist right, finish off V1. It's a sitting duck right now and you're point blank. Also I'm 99% sure it's trying to ram you so you really, really want to shoot it.

Exterminator: You wanted to get that Dervish? This is the turn to. Jump to 0926 and shoot it in the rear end. This will also put you in position to handle V2 next turn. Don't give it everything since you're running pretty hot, but a quick hit or two should be enough to make it scramble.

Lynx: Looks like you draw F2. Jump to 1916 facing south, full alpha to the back.

Starslayer: You are also the walking dead. You need to get out of LOS of F1 ASAP because it's the most likely to kill you right now. Run south to 1725. That puts maximum distance between you and things that are going to shoot you and gives you the best cover it can. Hit V2 from the back - a lucky rotor hit will severely impair it, though you're not likely to bring it down.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
I'm still not sure those hits on me were actually possible, from the rules I've read.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xmas Future posted:

I'm still not sure those hits on me were actually possible, from the rules I've read.

Right now, we've got two options. I can scrub the turn, and do it over--since it changes who the Clanners will target; or we can keep it, since I misjudged your position (it's the major downside to having to split a map into two parts, it's harder for me to make judgement calls like that).

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
I'll let the rest of the current players decide, since the headshot on the Hunchback was a definite plus, and I'm not dead yet, but the flashman's also hurt.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Xmas Future posted:

I'll let the rest of the current players decide, since the headshot on the Hunchback was a definite plus, and I'm not dead yet, but the flashman's also hurt.

I say you guys should keep it, a headcap is a headcap, and the flashman can still fight the bane for another turn or 2 even at the bane going on max ultra.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aside from the Donars, that Gaussback was number 2 on the priority hit list. Would need to consider how much damage it could do over time if the turn was scrapped compared to taking the fudged damage now and leaving it. On the other hand your Starslayer took some hits that rolled a bit above the bell curve and the Flashman got hamstrung.

I'm leaning against letting the Hunchback live though, another instant kill is extremely unlikely.

EDIT: Fixed some wording because I'm daft.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 11, 2011

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm torn. On the one hand, it really sucks that you got hammered like that when you should have been out of line of sight.

On the other hand, you're not dead yet, and the Gaussback is. I know it can be scary as gently caress to lose all of your cockpit's armor; I speak from experience. But the important thing to remember is that you're not dead yet, and that you can still keep fighting.

My vote is to just roll with it and keep giving no fucks, but I have no objections if anyone else wants a do-over.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I see no reason to re-do the Comguards' shooting. If you had to re-do the turn, all you'd need to re-do is the clanners.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah since this is a simultaneous turn setup you should just be able to redo the clan turn without any causality problems.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

I would suggest leaving it as it is now, for the reasons W.T. Fits suggested. The Hunchie is dead; you're not. There's no telling what might happen if the whole shooting got a do-over.

edit: or even if the Clan shooting got a do-over.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Good point, if our results won't be erased, I'd personally favour a do-over.

Really, my main concern is not wanting to be selfish just because I got pretty banged up.

Usual Barb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 11, 2011

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Edit: Sorry, forgot which mech you were piloting. While you did get crippled there, you can still do alot of damage. I would still suggest keeping the turn and making the best of it.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 11, 2011

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Xmas Future posted:

Good point, if our results won't be erased, I'd personally favour a do-over.

Really, my main concern is not wanting to be selfish just because I got pretty banged up.

if ptn rolls the clans over, the gaussback has a chance of hitting with its guns and headcapping

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Yeah, giving the clanners a chance to redo their turn gives that Hunchback another chance to one-shot the Lynx before its head explodes. At least we know that everyone's still alive right now and capable of at least one more turn of rear end kicking.

On the other hand, this advice comes straight from the peanut gallery who are ever so connected with the game, grounded in reality, piloting mechs of our own and not prone to panic over enemy ponies. Our advice may not be the best.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

This last turn exemplifies why I hate fuckin Banes. Still, you've got the armor to stand up to him for a few more turns, as long as he doesn't get any especially nasty TACs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

do over? :allears:

My "don't push your luck" sense is tingling.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Sam Hall posted:

My "don't push your luck" sense is tingling.

I have to concur with this; the PCs actually came out pretty well in this turn, to my (admittedly inexpert) reading.

The ideal solution, I think, would be for PTN to do the turn over and then give the players (and I mean only the active players!) a choice of whether or not to keep the do-over or the original turn - but that's a lot more work than I feel comfortable volunteering someone else to do. So take the results you've got, I says.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
Flashman should stand right where it is and open up on that Bane. No sense trying to chase down something else. Live up to the Flashbulb's name and turn that fucker incandescent. Just, you know, try not to get shot in the hip again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I vote for not pressing your luck. I can see re-doing the round, not scratching the gaussback and having that thing headshot all of you.

• Locked thread