Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Hey PTN, not to be a bother, but I asked you to put me on the reserve list a while back. I would have been in on the last mission, I think. Anyway, I also sent a PM asking you to take me off the reserve list.

I'm okay waiting another round, but I would like to take my shot at stompy death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Rifleman IIC, Mad Dog Prime,2 Stormcrow Primes, Kit Fox A, one of PTN's scary Gargoyles, one of his Timber Wolves, and a couple other mechs that I cannot identify.

Nice knowing you, Dead Commandos.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Sweet, not one but two fast-movers. :)

Just offhand, I'm going to say we should try to stay very close and gang up on units 1 or 2 at a time. Make use of the trees to keep all that long-ranged fire off our backs and so on. They have a lot of units and we simply can't straight-up fight all of them at once even with good pilots.

Also aside from the gdoc which I assume we'll make use of, I (and Andrevian usually too) are in #megamek on irc, like, all the time. It might help to discuss things there too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mind putting a description of the other traits somewhere handy so we don't have to refer 10 pages back to figure out what the pilots can do?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Remember to push south, You outweigh the enemy by a good bit but they have some scary firepower, don't get caught in the open. :hist101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

Hey PTN, not to be a bother, but I asked you to put me on the reserve list a while back. I would have been in on the last mission, I think. Anyway, I also sent a PM asking you to take me off the reserve list.

I'm okay waiting another round, but I would like to take my shot at stompy death.

Ah, whoops, I missed that. I'll make a big arrow on my master list to avoid missing you again.

Also, I'll throw you into the alternate list. Some names I don't recognize so there's a reasonable chance we'll be burning an alternate or two.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The "Fraction Jackson rule" is in effect, quiaff?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
^ ^ ^ Aff.

Even though this mission's official name is Sally Forth, I propose it be unofficially known as Dark Souls (Prepare to Die, heh).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

PARTIAL WING, STILL JUMPS 7! :ohdear: Jumps 7 is a +4 move mod and a huge dickmech.

It could be worse. It could be a partial wing Viper.

... I'll be right back.

Edit: Yup, I can still get a Partial Wing and a PPC on a Viper.

dis astranagant posted:

The what now?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 30, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

... I'll be right back.

:ohdear: You don't have to you know, you have so much to live for.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

I'm not gonna lie, every time I see someone fail a jump into heavy woods it makes my day, knowing that I ruined it for everyone else forever.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

... I'll be right back.

The what now?

A PSR when jumping into Heavy Woods, IIRC.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Uh, wow this looks extremely difficult to beat. And we're not even at the final boss yet. If we slug it out with them, it looks like the former goonbattalion might truly be reduced to goonlance.

Edit:
Also, "bond commander", bwahahahah.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 30, 2012

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The main thing with this fight is going to be LoS. With you guys always winning init you should be able to set up some many vs one scenarios. A Clanner with no LoS is a Clanner that isn't shooting a player.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

enigma74 posted:

Uh, wow this looks extremely difficult to beat. And we're not even at the final boss yet. If we slug it out with them, it looks like the former goonbattalion might truly be reduced to goonlance.

It is not going to be quite as bad, just control LoS and brawl, they can't survive a brawl.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What does the "Short Leash" on Piet's sheet mean? There a bomb under her seat she don't know about?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

What does the "Short Leash" on Piet's sheet mean? There a bomb under her seat she don't know about?

It means I'm letting a player control her, rather than rolling a d6 to see whether she suicide charges or not.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

KnoxZone posted:

The main thing with this fight is going to be LoS. With you guys always winning init you should be able to set up some many vs one scenarios. A Clanner with no LoS is a Clanner that isn't shooting a player.

That's my hope. The init thing really is key, because it lets us use the trees/hills whenever we want. If we stay in a decent clump and coordinate even remotely well it should work decently enough.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fraction Jackson posted:

That's my hope. The init thing really is key, because it lets us use the trees/hills whenever we want. If we stay in a decent clump and coordinate even remotely well it should work decently enough.

Oh dear, coordinating :ohdear: Coordinating is a really big problem from my experience last round.

Summary: Kill crud with jumpjets priority is the enemy commander,rifleman, that j7 and then the J6. :ese: cut the mobility then go for the jugular. Don't forget you can just head south and into a city which is often worse for the clans.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Don't forget you can just head south and into a city which is often worse for the clans.

A city with defensive turrets you control the power to.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I would ask what weapons the turrets were equipped with, but that's going to be a surprise right?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Oh dear, coordinating :ohdear: Coordinating is a really big problem from my experience last round.

Summary: Kill crud with jumpjets priority is the enemy commander,rifleman, that j7 and then the J6. :ese: cut the mobility then go for the jugular. Don't forget you can just head south and into a city which is often worse for the clans.

It seems like it always is, but hopefully it'll work out. Also I'm not really interested on prioritizing enemy units - it's going to depend solely on where they are in relation to terrain and to our poo poo. It should be about finding targets of opportunity, lining up good shots while blocking LOS, and moving on to the next, rather than pushing for a specific target right away.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

landcollector posted:

I would ask what weapons the turrets were equipped with, but that's going to be a surprise right?

Sadly, they were never refitted after the last parade, so the turrets are all confetti cannons. But hey, worth a shot!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah I don't like the looks of this fight, guys. We just took over the power supply of this planet intact, but that doesn't do us any good out in the woods. I say the Death Commandos should abscond to the planetary capital.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
I get to be a Capellan! Yay! It's my birthd—

Clanmech. Welp. Time to kill everything.

We can control LOS pretty well here, I think. It'll be like threading a needle. Like a ravine mission in Ace Combat or something.

Anyway! I've set up the google doc. Send me PMs or email me at andre dot vienne [at] gmail dot com for admittance.

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009
We control the power to them but I'm assuming all that means is we can turn them off, so it doesn't really matter with what they're equipped.

I dunno, I feel like taking these guys out here is better than getting to the city and having to fight the forces there plus these guys. Unless these are the city forces in which case we might want to get to the city for the even better terrain advantage.

I guess what I'm saying is I have no loving idea what Gooncompany should do. People need to start shooting poo poo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PTN do we control the SHOOTING to the turrets?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

Potentially?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Since there was a difference between capturing and blowing the station, there is presumably a turret control center we can suborn if we put a mech next to it.

Because MechCommander that's why.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

the JJ posted:

Since there was a difference between capturing and blowing the station, there is presumably a turret control center we can suborn if we put a mech next to it.

This probably means we should try to keep alive at least one of our quicker mechs in this mission, preferably one with jump jets. The turrets might mean the difference between victory and defeat in the final scenario.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

the JJ posted:

This is a plan I approve of with all my heart and soul. I've lost track of the number of times that plan as saved my bacon.

((hrm, need to do that last mission of my LP too.))

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Whats going to be left in the city? This is the best pilot on the planet for the clans, and his command binary.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

landcollector posted:

Could ask our bondspeople.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

Could ask our bondspeople.

At the moment, they've got other things to worry about.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
Well, hopefully if we escape and run into the command binary, we don't have this binary trailing along with us in angry pursuit. That would be twenty clanmechs, and that's absolutely insane.

Actually, I want to see that battle with activated turrets. The die rolling would be a pain but think of the explosions! I'm imagining a variety of Gauss/Ultra AC/LBX turrets unleashing a mighty torrent of fire every turn.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clantech Calliopes would probably be cool. Or maybe that triple ERPPC one.

Comedy option: dual cruise missile/120s :getin:

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 30, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

enigma74 posted:

Well, hopefully if we escape and run into the command binary, we don't have this binary trailing along with us in angry pursuit. That would be twenty clanmechs, and that's absolutely insane.

Actually, I want to see that battle with activated turrets. The die rolling would be a pain but think of the explosions! I'm imagining a variety of Gauss/Ultra AC/LBX turrets unleashing a mighty torrent of fire every turn.

This is the command binary. We're fighting Captain Douchebag and his Douchebagateers.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Nice that Steve turned into a 2/2 with these unlocked traits, almost brings him up to Death Commando standards.

Incidentally, are we likely to see those Elementals that ran from the Mt Gila fight? I mean personally I'd spring them on GoonCompany again here in the woods if I were running things. The flammable, flammable woods.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Screw this run past them garbage. I paid my $0 to see a knock down, drag out, robot brawl dag nabbit! Come back with your shield or on it, no tactical withdrawals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just a gentle reminder that you are, in fact, allowed to set the forests on fire. And since you have a surviving Po, that should be it's #1 job every turn it isn't alpha-striking something more important.

The woods help you control LOS. Smoke and fire can help some more.

Also: it is a huge mistake putting a 1/1 mechwarrior in that suicide-machine Hussar that has a single inner-sphere large laser, and then putting your worst mechwarrior (Piet) into the Banshee IIC: a much bigger (assault class), more important (clantech) mech with more and better weapons for her to miss with. What a waste.

• Locked thread