Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Fraction Jackson posted:

Pre-emptive congrats on being the MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Goon MVP: Spider
Clan MVP: Grier Siedman

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

C

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

B

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 7, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

posting to check my post to change my vote

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

fixed

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

i'm sure he's been keeping a running tally

if he actually has, then gently caress it

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

pity reply

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

painedforever posted:

"Put me on address. No, no need to announce me.

"Mechwarriors! Brothers. Sisters.

"I don't do speeches. But it's important that you know why we're here. What we're fighting for.

"This is not a war of high ideals. We're not fighting for freedom. We're not fighting for the future. We're not fighting for land, or resources, or glory. We're not even fighting for our survival, or our right to exist. We're fighting for revenge. We're fighting out of spite and hatred.

"Understand, this isn't about the Inner Sphere, the Star League or the SLDF. This isn't about reclaiming the legacy of the Kerenskys or the Clans. All that we have found amongst the stars is betrayal. And we're here to punish those who betrayed us.

"I don't know what comes after. I don't know if the future has a place for us. And I don't care. I'm just here to kill some Clanner bastards.

"...

"All lights are green. Give a ready report, and go weapons hot."

username/post combo

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nice VOTOMS reference.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

goatface posted:

Chirico can kill gods with his service revolver. The players have no chance.

P much.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Are we ever going to see the mystery man in the green assault mech with dollar signs painted on it, who swoops in to dunk on people or did that already happen and I missed it.

I feel like he's had a scene but incase he hasn't, PTN can this be the mission I'm on if im still on the pilot's list?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

RA Rx posted:

Social science fiction takes a middle ground. We can change the future, but rebelling isn't usually the right choice over working within the system. And society as a whole has become more and more peaceful over recorded history, so technology without neural changes has actually improved our nature, though these changes are fragile and would partially revert immediately if civilization collapsed and culturally over a few generations (highly rules-focused societies such as the Japanese do show high discipline even in the event of disaster, however it would break down almost completely if a disaster is severe enough to destroy all organization, and over a few generations of living during brutal conflict the culture of cooperation would be phased out).

If we want to use technology to change human nature we have to change the human brain towards more altruistic models where we take the different choices we are given, however such changes would probably lead to the abuse of the 'altruoids' created as a result. If on the other hand all of society was engineered over a generation to be highly altruistic it would probably make the species more politically stable, but as a whole less resilient against external conflict, and of course there'd be unintended side effects for better and worse.

We are who we are for the reasons that evolution made us this way (although culturally speaking grave goods were divided in an extremely egalitarian fashion in the earliest prehistoric grave sites found, only slowly becoming more and more hierachical, a process that's only begun to reverse the last several hundred years), but there are certainly numerous animal species who live in more peaceful social models like bonobo monkeys, or more social models like dolphins, etc, though we might ask ourselves why they have been less successful (no thumbs and living in the ocean is one way to make a technological society almost impossible, but dolphins do have individual verbal names, and the ability to communicate with friends to very quickly use a series of whistles to plan out how to follow an order from a trainer to improvise complicated synchronized maneuevers,I and very likely their own vocabulary and grammar, cryptologists are hard at work making painstakingly slow advances. Chimps can learn ASL, but they're just as violent as us, and African Grey Parrots can understand and speak a couple hundred words of English if you train them (a lot of speciecists immediately accept the ASL by chimps, but not verbal English from African Grey Parrots like the late Alex because birds are seen as more stupid, and because verbal language is too close to comfort).

Anyway, my point is there are many species on this planet alone that display extremely different social models, some of which are extremely peaceful and stable, and others such as eusocial insects whom are even more violent and socially organized than we are. One might make the observation that early pre-historical homo sapiens grave sited were extremely egalitarian in grave good distribution, and that animal cultures are all pretty much pre-neolithic at best with only occasional tool use (but Dolphins, with the highest encephalization quotient (especially the Tucuxi) are actually great at taking objects they find and using them, I blame their lack of thumbs) and thus there is a chance they might change for the more hierarchical over time if they developed (until and unless reaching such political social models that would begin to reverse such trends, if they even follow similar political patterns in the first place), but regardless their neural architecture and social behavior still differ wildly from that of us super chimps, with all that it implies they would likely take different routes of social development than we have.

Modern human nature is only a massive disaster and a few generations of learned cultural behavior away from its earliest days of civilization despite the very low levels of crime and violence in areas such as Scandinavia and the most prosperous East Asian states, because in terms of raw neural hardware and post-birth language cyberization software we are still ever the same as since humanity developed complex language.
We can change the cultural software that is mostly installed over the first few decades of a human's life, and we can change hardware outside of a brain, but unless we physically change or at least add to the neural architecture of the human brain there is a very hard limit to how much we can change by the adoption of language/taming and advanced culture alone.

I'll stop rambling, but cyberpunk and even most transhumanist and social SF stories do not manage to make applications of technology result in believable different societies at the most fundamental level of social behavior because these stories focus mostly on hardware tools, and on connectedness at best, not on the most fundamental 'human' hardware, the brain.
If we wish to become fully transhuman and act differently, even in extremis, then we do not need toys or even the halfway house of telepathic and sensory connections to other humans (or mechs in the case of the Manei Domini) that simply add new dimensions to existing human cognition, but altered modes of cognition, which will result from altering the human brain, with all the dangers it entails.

Edit: oh yeah, no problem, I'm curious how grave goods work. If you really want to tell me without rambling like I did I'd be super happy to read a PM about it. :)

holy poo poo, this was a very interesting post and not at all what I was expecting from this thread

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I don't see Fraction on old dead #megamek or Discord so no pings there.

a related classic

needs 9, rolls 8 : misses. Archer ARC-6Sr punches itself in the HD. Archer ARC-6Sr takes 7 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, SECTION DESTROYED

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I dearly hope to see a repeat of that given that we've got Elementals on our side and the enemy pilots are comedically bad

we have some hosed up cyberpunk 2020 esque battlemechpilots who'll anime haymaker the gently caress out of your stupid robot, gently caress a elemental

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

Protos are annoying little things. They have a hit location which is 'Welp, you missed'.

So i should stack up on them in the new legends server?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Fraction Jackson posted:

Goon MVPs: Leith Maclaine, Leperflesh, Fuzzy Mammal
OpFor MVP: King Cobra

Honorable Mention: whoever made the spreadsheet! I thought my first time around in this thread was organized with just the gdoc...the spreadsheet took things to a whole new level. Especially for those first few turns when the map was packed with stuff, I think it made a big difference for all of us. Being able to so easily cross-ref which hexes are already spoken for and to quickly tally up how much fire is going at a specific target is just such a godsend. I recommend it to all future goonlances.

Same

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Hell yeah Carlos Marik. Helping him evade Death By Sentai Team was a great mission and I hope his Crusaders keep him safe.

Sup buddy. Gj on that mission.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Narsham posted:

My headcanon: the Clans make their final push, with aerospace and artillery devastating Republic forces but the Demon Hawks untouched. Then, a dropship lands nearby and a lone Hellstar emerges.

Clan Grandpa issues a Trial of Possession batchall: the entire Demon Hawks against the dropship and temporary use of a Carrack-class (with crew and fuel). Him versus Dadlas and the LAM.

The only questions in my mind are whether Kalma ends up going solo, Hellstar vs Dadlas, and whether he's cruel enough to spare Clan Grandpa his glorious death in battle.

Do this PTN. The last part. The rest sounds p lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

imgay

• Locked thread