Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This looks to be potentially epic. Requesting to be a mechwarrior.

Also going to throw my vote for the Kell Hounds. I have always been a supporter of the FS, and the Hounds are one of the best merc units around. A combo that cannot be beat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I assume you don't need *that* much knowledge of Battletech game mechanics in order to play. I could be wrong though. It has been ages since I played and I barely remember the game. You can always download megamek to get a feel for the rules and mechs

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

So it begins :woop:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

For reference sake:

Griffin GRF-1N:
55 tons
86.4 km/h top speed
1x PPC
1x LRM 10

Blackjack BJ-1DB:
45 tons
64.8 km/h top speed
2x Large Laser
4x Medium Laser

Vulcan VL-5T:
40 tons
97.2 km/h top speed
4x Medium Laser
1x Flamer
1x Machine Gun

Jenner JR7-D:
35 ton
118.8 km/h top speed
1x SRM-4
4x Medium Laser

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

A Grand Dragon. That will be fun.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

So uhmm, Griffin, eh? Guess I need to find out what the plan was, although for turn 1 it is probably just finding out which direction we are moving.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

This is a good summary of the plan. Approach and play quiet until we get into position, then raise hell on the two tanks before assessing whether or not to go for the bonus mission.

What no. That is a terrible plan. As your new Lance Commander I demand we utilize my new plan.

You need to bravely charge the enemy mechs to draw their attention while we deal with the mission objectives. Acceptable casualties for a mission accomplished.

Original plan sounds good, sent my orders

Now if you excuse me, I need to reread the books. It has been decades since I last played BT and god if I can remember anything.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I would say have the Jenner and Vulcan go after K6 while the two heavier mechs take out K5. Just make sure to stay out of sight/range of the enemy mechs. Hopefully we can get both on this turn.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I sent my order in. I will engage K5 at range 6, maximizing my chance to hit with my two weapons. Hopefully I can give it a loving dose of PPC.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Useless rookies. Can't hit the broad side of a J. Edgar. :mad:

Assuming the pre-battle dialogue is accurate, we probably don't have to worry about the last tank bolting just yet. It will probably hang around and be a nuisance in our rear until the battle starts going poorly for the Dracs. I would still much rather we kill it this turn though, before the enemy mechs arrive.

I wonder if the Jenner should fall back to our position or attempt to draw off the two mechs currently in pursuit. We would have a really solid weight advantage up top for a couple turns if that were to happen.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

This is the plan I'd go with, though I would probably swing D further south to flank. The Jenner's isolated already, so might as well try to at least ID that unknown contact. It's fast and agile enough that it should be able to survive for a turn or two before there's any real trouble. Unless the Dragon kicks it in half (which is unlikely).

That seems mostly solid. I plan on moving the Griffin forward a bit more so I can fire at short range and not medium, while also giving anyone who shoots at me a moving target penalty. Looking at 1407 as the most likely spot.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

So I felt bored and used megamek to do a Jenner vs Spider battle for the hell of it.

On turn 1 the Jenner slipped in Depth 1 water and died.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If two light mechs are chasing our scout around, that leaves us with a large advantage in the fight that matters. Who wants to see us blow up a couple hover-tanks and flee? We need grand victory! I want to bring the Dragon to its knees. Victory over the Combine at all costs! The Kell Hounds will achieve glorious reputation for our decisive victories.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

With a bit of luck I may get an ID on it this turn.

My basic (and in-universe RP problem!) is that my lancemates are HOOAH shouting, yee-hawing cowboys, and I just don't want to get my rear end shot off while achieving the mission, which is surviving to spend your pay.

You aren't getting paid to disobey commands mister. When I order you to charge into an unknown enemy I expect the order to be followed out flawlessly :mad:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wow, more lucky shooting. Someone rolled snake-eyes on their to-hit roll.

Edit: And a potential motive system hit.

Double edit: And boxcars. Dear lord, y'all are lucky. D:

I am a firm believer that what comes around goes around. Getting amazing luck on some crappy hover tanks is going to be less awesome when that Spider takes down half our lance with lucky shots.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

So the Dragon thinks he can take me on, does he? Consider me amused.

I think we need to press the attack. We have a lot of advantages right now. The Dragon is the only true threat and I can probably keep him away from you guys for as long as it takes. I am slightly banged up, but have the armor to spare to engage in a long range match.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

That sounds like a reasonable plan of action. I'd prefer rejecting the challenge, so the Griffin could contribute its heavy hitters to "Skin The Jenner" fun and games, but I can see the rationale in having the Grand Dragon tied up attacking the heaviest-armored mech you have.

p.s. I recommend that, every single turn, the Griffin do this.

Well, I most certainly don't have to adhere to the challenge if a target of opportunity appears before me. I am a merc, not a clanner :colbert:

e: 1303 looks like a likely destination for me this turn. Won't be able to escape the AC/5 this turn, but will certainly make the shot near impossible.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mahoshonen posted:

Guys, I just had the most terrifying thought:

The unknown is a clan mech.

:supaburn:

I know it makes no sense, which is what makes it seem possible.

We already have a visual ID on the unknown. It is a Hussar. A 300-D to boot.

vvv Word. I for one am looking forward to taking a Dragon as salvage.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 25, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

It isn't really surprising that this first battle is chock full of advantages for the good guys. This is basically a tutorial, not only for us, but for the rest of the soon-to-be pilots on the list. I imagine the next couple battles will really start ratcheting up the difficulty once PTN knows he can trust us enough to not need to pull his punches. Looking forward to the future where our reinforced company finds itself facing a clan Binary.

If we can't get a true victory in the very first battle we might as well go home now :colbert:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Oh, but it does. DRG-1G (the variant we're facing) has three medium lasers, an LRM-10, and a PPC.

If you notice the last turn, the Dragon took a potshot at me with an AC/5, not a PPC.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Which year is this battle supposed take place? I must have missed it.

3032, just before the clan invasion. Also, don't forget this is also an alternate reality so poo poo may end up being vastly different.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

I keep :f5:'ing this, hoping that our pilots have sent in their orders and that PTN's played out the next round of combat.

Is BattleTech always this slow, or does it just seem slow because it's being done on a message board as opposed to on a tabletop or in Megamek?

It is usually a lot faster, but obviously playing through a message board makes it take a while. Between waiting for all participants to send in orders and making up the post, things tend to take a while. Especially since I have no idea what kind of work schedule everyone has.

As for me, I sent in my turn a few hours back. No clue what the status of everyone else is though.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If you guys can fire your weapons half as good as you can fire your insubordinate mouths, this battle will be a cupcake. :colbert:

This Dragon should be interesting. It has more armor, but I am a superior shot and have a bit more damage output with my PPC vs his AC/5. For now I am going to alternate between slugging it out and evading when my heat is up. If things go badly, I will go full evasion.

Zaodai posted:

And Knox, your objective right now should mostly be playing rope a dope with the Dragon. If you can get some shots off and not get shot yourself, that's a plus. But as long as he's chasing you around, he's honor bound to not be firing on the rest of your lance.

Son, the day I play 'rope a dope' with a Snake while rookies are doing all the killing is the day I leave the cockpit of my mech to join the infantry.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 26, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

But in all honesty, I do plan on engaging the Dragon as long as my armor holds up. I don't expect to kill it outright, but we are pretty evenly matched. I think my chances of survival in a sniping match is a bit higher than the survival of a couple half-dead light/medium mechs engaging a healthy heavy mech at point blank range, where it still has substantial firepower and can bring its formidable bulk into melee range.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Present status: waiting on clarifications for two people's movement.

Looks like the Jenner's really going to take a pounding.

Which Jenner? :shobon:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Agent Interrobang posted:

Officially the 3028-3029 Davion Blitz, the Kurita response, and the Free Worlds League backstabbing the Capellans is considered the Fourth Succession War. It wasn't an IS-spanning free-for-all, but a WHOLE lot of worlds were attacked: Capellan space is more densely settled than any other region of the Inner Sphere.

This is true, but the Fourth Succession War was kicked off by Hanse's toast at the wedding. The wedding has not occurred, so has the war?

It would be really interesting to see a comprehensive list on the changes to this universe. We know some of the major events (Widowmakers prevailing, Archon Katrina's death, etc) and some of the more subtle changes (Candace's death leading to Justin *supposedly* become a loyal Capellan), but we don't know *everything*.

e:fb

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

elitebuster posted:

Oh poo poo...With no Steiner-Davion bloodline, there's no Victor Steiner-Davion...No Operation Serpent...NO HOPE!!!
The Clans are going to gently caress poo poo up...

In fairness, with the Clans invading this early, Victor would be a 2 year old. I doubt he would have been the key to stopping the Clans.

On the flipside, Hanse is still alive and ready to kick some clan rear end himself, should he so desire.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Because so many people have volunteered to be Mechwarriors for this, Poptarts will solve it by giving every single one of us ALL crappy Clints or Spiders to face off against a single heavy star in our first engagement with the clanners. The survivors get to continue on.

Also, we need to invade clan space and beat up some garrison troops. I want to salvage my all-time favorite mech. I want a Hunchback IIC.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I love how the combine and the agromech are specifically called out for having high armor. Who gives a rats rear end about armor on a civilian commercial vehicle.

Pilot encounters large rock while harvesting, fails pilot check, falls over. Without that armor the fatality rate would be enormous.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

And this is why the entire mech harvester concept is totally awesome?

Fixed. Being a farmer is a drat boring existence. Being a farmer in an agromech is loving awesome.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Welp. I told you guys we used up all our luck fighting Hover Tanks. I was about to retire for the night, but now I feel compelled to :f5:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nevermind, you guys are lucky again.

Edit: Now to see if you are as unlucky as you are lucky.

Oh god this suspense is mind-boggling. :f5:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Yeah, taking out that Jenner has us in a real good spot. The Vulcan should be able to recover easy enough.

Also, I am kicking that Dragon's rear end, one shot at a time :colbert:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

SirJoeKCB posted:

I remember Victor et al. deducing that they conspired to do it since that was how he justified assassinating Ryan Steiner, but I don't think there was anything more explicit than the paper trail. Maybe I'm not remembering it right. Either way she exploited the hell out of it.

What I was thinking of was a snippet in one of the Jihad sourcebooks where WoB was taking credit for it. Maybe one of the propaganda blurbs?

The evidence against Katherine is pretty strong. One of Ryan Steiner's aides knew about the plot, and was killed at Katherine's orders. A lot of proof implicating Katherine is gathered during the FedCom Civil War.

It was Arthur Steiner-Davion's assassination that is speculated to have been done by the WOB, iirc.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Those mech writeup/propaganda posts are amazing DI, never stop.

And I wouldn't mind joining in on a campaign. Would be fun to get back into the game a bit.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Lieutenant Barnes chortled into the comms. “Ha, got you now you snake bastard! Let’s see you get over the river with no leg armor!”

:smug:

Also, that Hussar worries me. I don't like the idea of a light mech behind me. The Tai-I might be feeling a bit nervous right now, and willing to sacrifice some honor to turn the tides against us. After all, it is just a bunch of lowly mercenaries.

I don't think it will flee, not yet at least.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 29, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I plan on continuing the duel for now. It is more likely that the Hussar is attempting to get into a sniping position where it might actually survive for a bit and not currently fleeing. The battle hasn't been decided *yet*, although they are obviously getting desperate (DFA!). I do still think it should be the priority target for the nuggets.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

IDEA

Someone want to challenge the Hussar to a one on one duel?

This might not be a bad idea. I doubt it would accept a challenge from the Blackjack though, as even the borderline-suicidal pilots of the DCMS would be unwilling to engage a mech that superior. Maybe it would accept a fight with the Jenner or Vulcan, although they will have to be wary, as that Hussar is a drat fine shot.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 29, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Sent my orders in. Not planning on anything fancy, just keeping this perch and firing my weapons. Two stationary mechs at medium range gives my LRM a very solid chance at gimping that leg with a critical. Also, if I get really lucky and my PPC also hits that leg, we could have some good salvage after this :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

There has to be one, of course. Nobody's stupid enough to go and poke a Successor State on their own for shits and giggles, least of all the Dragon.

We are in bed with Hanse Davion right now. I think he will treat us well.

Pladdicus posted:

I assume that to mean I'm jumpjetting and lighting up K2?
Seems like the best chance for you to get back into the combat this turn. Look on the plus side: You really don't need to worry about heat management anymore, and can basically jump around all you want. Just remember that it will murder your accuracy, especially against fast moving light mechs.

• Locked thread