Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
That spider jumping directly in front of me is going to take my PPC blast meant for the Dragon and we will be forever branded as dezgra mercenaries for breaking an honor duel. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Ah yes, Mercenaries, where an IS Mercenary can defeat 5 bloodnamed clan warriors in a Trial of Position with contemptuous ease. Suck on that, Phelan :colbert:

The game still owns

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

which mission? i've forgotten it... or maybe never did it D:

The final Steiner mission.

You need to join Clan Wolf to give Khan Ward the location where Katrina is held. In order to join Clan Wolf you need to win a Trial of Position.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Veyrall posted:

So, as someone who's only ever played the XBox games, I've got to ask. Is saturation of fire mechanically superior over a few aimed shots? Because the pilots in the LP seem to miss more often than not and they're actually trying to aim.

Just look at the difference between my pilot and the rest of the lance in this fight. My gunnery score is only 1 better, but it has made a world of difference in my accuracy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Stuff

If you don't hit with at least 3 of your 5 weapons you will be cleaning Battlemechs for a week. I am tired of you nuggets constantly missing easy targets! :mad:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

The Jade Phoenix trilogy was the first Battletech novel I found, so it has a special place in my heart. Horse owns :colbert:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Wow, the Griffin's luck with LRMs amazes me.

Tis not luck that guides my missiles.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Polaron posted:

Fixed that for you :v:

You just permanently ruined 40k for me. I hope you are happy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Silly little nuggets. That Vulcan is worth more than the lot of ya. It better still be operational when I finish up on this Dragon and get over there.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Might not be a bad idea to start sending some fire towards that Hussar. The Hussar is an amazing shot and has a weapon with long enough reach to take down the Vulcan. Certainly make an effort to finish off the Spider, but it isn't really much of a threat to the Blackjack or Jenner.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

The Vulcan can probably stay in the fight if it dumps the machine gun ammo. It may end up with nothing but melee attacks, but it can certainly still make its presence felt!

Also, if you guys can survive against a mere Hussar for a couple more turns, I should be ready to assist. I doubt that Hussar will be eager to snipe when it has a Griffin bearing down on it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I just had an amusing image in my head of two medium mechs and a superior light mech all fleeing in terror from a lone Hussar.

Then I realized that it is actually happening :sigh:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

MG explosions are a part of life. Your armor looking a bit thin? Dump the ammo or take the risk.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

i'm doing all the calculations right now to pm my turn and let me just say this, the best shot i can get on the that fast fucker is a 10 anything else even moving forward toward him, gives me a 11 - 12 :dawkins101:

yupe movign to where his lack of jump jets comes into play seems like a good idea :v:

Nobody ever said that hitting that little bastard would be easy, but it is something that must be done. A single large laser hit might be enough to ruin it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

For the love of god, don't do this. Literally the most likely outcome is he punches a large laser into you, you miss him completely and nothing is accomplished, because your lancemates will be out of position.

You need to draw him forward!

I am highly skeptical that the Hussar will willingly walk into an ambush. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the Hussar happily ignores the trap and moves around to a different firing angle. I think the best chance at getting him would be to spread out over a large area and pin him in. A single large laser isn't that dangerous, even in the hands of a skilled gunner.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Thinking about Victor got me thinking about Prometheus. Which led to me thinking about clan omnimechs in general. The most well-known omnimechs are the ones used primarily by the primary invading clans (Wolves, Falcons, Bears, Cats, and Jaguars). These clans aren't going to be much of a presence this time. Which leads me to my question to someone who knows more about the other clans:

What are some notable mechs we can expect to see fielded by Steel Vipers, Hell's Horses, and Goliath Scorpions? I assume the Widowmakers will probably end up fielding mechs similar to the ones the Wolves ended up developing.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Surprised Aiden Pryde got the 0/0 designation. He was always seen as a really good mechwarrior, but I didn't think he was superior to Marthe, who is a 1/2. At least not until Tukayyid, I suppose.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

I dunno. Aiden's Trial of Refusal is one of the fights in the novels I give the most props for. He was kind of a goofball otherwise until Tukayyid, though, and I guess Joanna gets half the credit for that Trial.

I forgot all about the Trial of Refusal. Him and Joanna absolutely wrecked poo poo in that fight. Still, he totally failed his pilot check in the final trial for his Bloodname. What kind of 0 skill pilot does that :colbert:

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 31, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

How about this, I run into 1203 and punch shoot and kick (just shoot and kick) the hussar. How's that sit with folks? Any glaring issues with the plan?

This owns. Do it.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

You sir are an inspiration to us all.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Can you set your facing after jumping?

Yes, you can choose any direction to face. Jumping owns.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Aaaand, the sudden realization I lost a jumpjet sets in. Jump range means I land in the open, not the woods. While this negates the pilot check, it also gives me one number closer to be hit, by well, everything. Hmmmm.

Gives the enemy a chance to see his doom as it descends upon him.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

It will all be fine. You can always eject. I just need one more hit on the leg and we will have a relatively pristine Dragon for salvage that you can pilot in future battles. :shobon:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's only unstoppable because nobody's fired a single shot at it yet.

This is a Hussar

HSR-300-D Hussar
Weight: 30 tons (Class)
HD A(S): 3/3 (3/3)
LT A(S): 3/3 (7/7)
LT R A(S): 1/1
CT A(S): 4/4 (10/10)
CT R A(S): 1/1
RT A(S): 3/3 (7/7)
RT R A(S): 1/1
LA A(S): 2/2(5/5)
RA A(S): 2/2 (5/5)
LL A(S): 2/2 (7/7)
RL A(S): 2/2 (7/7)

It has two defenses: Speed, and people not shooting at it.

I want to shoot it so badly. It would be so amusing if after all the angst I smack it with a single PPC and shear off a leg and put an end to all this madness. Sadly, there is another leg that I wish to shear off right now. One that would be far more hilarious (The Blackjack).

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

You know i can DFA you right? :v:

You need two legs to do that :colbert:. Although it would be awesome if you could do an awesome flying roundhouse kick with a single leg.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

you really don't need two legs for that actually ;)

I figured you might want to actually land the jump, but I guess self preservation isn't your strong point. I wholeheartedly endorse this plan of action.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's not like they don't know we are here. They also know we have a dropship, that's how we'd get here. They also likely know roughly where the drop ship is, what with sending a recon patrol in it's general direction.

We don't have to actually kill the guy to stop him from getting a visual on the dropship - the drop ship is vomiting out assault and heavy mechs. All we realistically have to do is stay in contact with their recon force - then when the hussar approaches the dropship, we tell the assault mechs where the Hussar is coming from and BLAM, he's stuck between an atlas and us and dies.

Plus it's a pretty successful counter recon battle if we kill three of their mechs, two of their scout vehicles and escape with 1 damaged mech, 1 with armor hits, and 2 unscratched mechs. Losing a mech makes the exchange look much worse.

Edit: Ultimately, the above is so many words. Yeah, I agree the Hussar is really weak and if we can land hits we can blow it to pieces, but it's really, really hard to hit :P

Sure they know that we are here and that we probably have a dropship somewhere, but they currently have no idea of what other forces are in theater. They have no idea who they face and in what strength. The longer we keep the 9th from knowing they face Kell Hounds in regimental strength, the more successful our mission. Nothing short of an assault lance will reach our dropship if I have any say in the matter :colbert:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Hussar shoots the Blackjack in the head. Critical hit to the cockpit.

In the melee phase the Hussar kicks in the Vulcan's torso causing the MG ammo to explode.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Fortune favors the bold.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

I need to take a moment to say how stupidly lucky you guys were in regards to that dragon. Nearly every dice I rolled was a hit to the right leg. That really shouldn't have happened. :3:

I was perfectly aiming my shots on a concealed target half the map away and hitting the same spot every time. In a world where Kai Allard-Liao was never born, Lieutenant Kearney Barnes has taken the role of invincible perfect mechwarrior for himself :smug:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Moving into 1801 and unleashing hell again. You guys deal with the one behind me, as if a flank with one medium laser is really scary at 6 hex distance

I will provide some fire support. The Jenner and Blackjack should be able to take down the Spider. With a little luck we could take down both enemy mechs this next turn.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I think the greatest insult to the Tai-i will be when we use his battlemech as a bridge for our invasion force to cross the river. Will save our vehicles a lot of hassle.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Heh.

2 base + 1 walked + 2 enemy movement + 0 short range = 5

Bye Pladdicus.

Also: Yay, apparently everyone got their orders in before horrific late night update. That makes me happy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Beautifully well done, lads. Score another win for the Kell Hounds.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 1, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If we do the 17th Recon, I want to see at least one of our pilots in a Hermes II. Truly the most remarkable of battlemechs.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I am going to vote C. Killing Capellans is always fun.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Also, I am curious, if we had selected the GDL what kind of scenario would we have gotten?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Voting G. Let us wipe the Caballeros from the face of the IS!

Yeah, I said it. :colbert:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Dolash posted:

I don't think anyone's commented on it yet, so I wanted to ask, did honouring the duel with the Dragon influence that scene with the cease-fire? Because if it did, that is awesome. I mean, all the Kuritan mechs went down, but word might have gotten back via an escaped pilot that the Kell Hounds were mighty but still honourable. Go Barnes! Gotta build that rep.

If so it also means you'd best play carefully in future rounds if your conduct can have "in world" consequences!

Exactly. That is why you should vote for the Death Commandos. Executing unarmed prisoners and civilians is the way to go this round. Leave the honor on the FS/Combine border :colbert:

And yes, honoring the duel has made the Kell Hounds into a well respected honorable unit. My actions have changed the fate of the entire Inner Sphere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

With the vote this tight for two factions who will oppose each other, we should totally skip having OpFor and play as both sides against each other. Goons on the list who voted for the Commandos can play as them, and vice versa. Would be a drat interesting battle.

• Locked thread