Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

He said something about there being a big push at work because of the Sturgis bike rally, which starts today and runs through the 14th. I'd wait until well after then to be really worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Zaodai posted:

My point is that people often write guns off as taking no skill at all, and then further up the page someone talks about a guy trained in close combat fighting off someone with a knife or sword. If you're up against someone with a relatively powerful gun that knows how to use it (like trained police personel or the military), yeah you're pretty boned.

Random Joe Blow on the street with a 9mm pistol who thinks he's a hardass? He's probably not ready to fight and I'd be willing to bet most of them don't know how to use their guns in a combat situation effectively. Just as someone can end up flailing wildly with a knife and giving you superifcial cuts you can fight through, a medium velocity low weight round in the hands of a street thug is going to result in a surprising number of non-lethal wounds.

Guns are easier to train people to use than swords, I don't disagree with that. But most of the people you're likely to end up in armed combat with have no training and a firm belief that they don't need it. That makes them more vulnerable than they know.

Hell, even people with training do stupid things and can be completely ineffective with guns. There was that Afghani police officer that got paid off to kill a bunch of US soldiers who opened fire from the hip with his AK at a range of maybe 20 feet and hit nothing but the vehicle before they turned a SAW on him. That didn't end well for him, supposed training or not. And an AK is a much more formidable weapon than most anything a civilian is likely to see outside of a combat zone.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

You know, I might as well also sign up. Getting to blunder my way through a scenario sounds like a pretty good time. I have pm's.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I thought I read somewhere that they use electrolysis to separate water into hydrogen and oxygen and use the oxygen in the life support system.

I also thought that in Battletech canon (outside of Stackpole's novels) sufficient engine damage just causes the engine to be unable to sustain a fusion reaction and shut down, with no explosions or anything.

From a :science: perspective, you can't get more energy out of the fuel than what you spend splitting it apart. This is assuming you can't run a net positive energy exchange, but I suppose thermodynamics is also lostech.

A damaged fusion reactor would be a frightening thing however you slice it. The temperatures for "cold" fusion just mean it's not as hot as the middle of the sun. It's still a pile of molten fury sitting inside a magnetic field.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

...Really? You're the IlKhan and you want to abandon Zell? Who did your character blow to get into that position? :psyduck: Clearly, he is not Clanner material.

PoptartsNinja posted:

“I have fought them,” Grier growled. “These ‘warriors’ of the Inner Sphere. As have you; yet you fail to reach the proper conclusions and that is why you are a failure.”

“And what conclusion,” Lair hissed like a Steel Viper in a balloon factory, “should I be reaching?”

“They,” he swept his hand towards a holographic map of the Inner Sphere in the small holotank in the center of the room, “these so-called warriors of the Inner Sphere, fight like tanks. Who better than we know how to fight tanks?”

Lair seemed about to make an angry retort, his mouth dropped open—then closed and opened and closed again as a look of dawning realization crossed his face.

“Good,” Grier growled, turning away. He stormed towards the door, turning back at the last minute. “You are now less a failure. Make your Blood House proud, IlKhan Lair Seidman.”

Disdain for his father aside, Lair is well aware of how unlikely it is that the IS will fight with honor and is likely prepared to fight them as tanks. Hell, he might even be counting on the battle going that way.

Beaten on the quote, apparently.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dolash posted:

Unless a lot of these fights are in a boxing ring, the mind boggles at how their industrial capacity can possibly keep up with their need to fight just short of constantly in giant walking death machines. I mean the attrition rate on officers just to become officers sounds needlessly dangerous, it's a wonder they've got any men and material left to fight with at all.

If the mechwarrior games are anything to go by, the trials are held in what amounts to a close arena with various terrain. I have no idea if this is anywhere close to the actual truth, but I recall the trial for ilKhan in MW2 being something like four assaults in a closed arena, with you in a firemoth. Since khans are elected positions, it seems unlikely that this is normally the case but may be representative of the overall process of a trial. Circle of equals, etc. There was some mention previously of augmented/unaugmented trials as well, so there is the potential for (I assume) hand to hand combat. That does seem unlikely for command positions in mechs, but who knows?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm a little surprised that Lair isn't a better pilot considering that Grier is 0/1, although all that extra experience probably goes a long way. Too bad he isn't along for the ride as well.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Hoping for a lucky kill will most likely mean that both Akira and Yorinaga are standing next turn to shoot at goon star. The general consensus from people that know what they are talking about (I'm not one of them but can see the reasoning) is that less guns pointed at our guys is better, so take the solid option of killing one guy instead of not killing either while taking a small chance for a random kill. I'd support the "aim at the thug" option and try to solidify the kill, so less guns on the star next turn.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I don't really see the intimidation factor of the atlas either, on paper. I have zero experience with it outside of the mechwarrior games where I just loaded it to the brim with as many ML's as I could and alpha'd people on Solaris in MW2:Mercs. I think part of my issue there is that I had played MW2 before that and rolled around in a dire wolf for too long. If the thread is any indication the bullshit factor on the dire wolf is way too high and the atlas is probably a solid mech.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Comparing Clan 'Mechs to IS 'Mechs will always come out in the Clanners' favor. Their stuff all weighs less and takes up less space on top of their energy weapons dealing more damage, so a Clan Assault might have twice the firepower as their nearest IS equivalent. They also have longer range on average, which ironically encourages a fighting style counter to their stated fluff and feels remarkably out-of-character for them (something pretty much everyone acknowledges, including both PTN as well as Randall Bills, CGL Managing Line Developer). Basically they're pretty bullshit, yeah. This disparity is why BV exists as a balancing mechanic.

Also Medium Lasers are also kind of bullshit, too. For their damage, range, and heat they really ought to weigh at least 1.5 or 2 tons.

Basically decades ago the devs made some questionable decisions that the rest of us have to live with. Or exploit.

I guess one of the issues is that my experience is limited to the early MW games. I've never seen any sort of direct comparison of clan tech to IS, except maybe the final missions of MW2Mercs. Looking at the numbers here it's obvious that there really isn't a fair comparison to be made between the two. But even as things are now in just the IS the atlas seems under par. I guess custom mechs are pretty much always going to beat stock ones, though.

I assume battle value is something akin to the points assigned to 40k armies, intended to help balance between wildly different forces and keep things fair?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

How many variant missile types exist for SRM's? And how many different types can a single mech carry? Is it conceivable to have a missileboat like the hellbringer in this mission sporting four or more specialty missile types? For that matter, do they work with the streak system? I'm imagining him with six hoppers full of inferno, tandem charge, emp, etc.... ammo and ruining mechs (and PTN's sanity for tracking it all).

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Goonstar MVP: Der Waffle Mous. He managed to escape while being hounded by a bunch of Kuritans, kicked Oda so hard he fell down, and slapped Yorinaga in the face with a laser on his way out. I'm not sure we could have asked for anything more.

Honorable mention: Keru, for both standing and delivering when he needed to.

Opfor MVP: Yorinaga and his inability to miss. He cored the hellbringer as well as contributed a lot to the death of the kingfisher (I know fluff-wise it was the thug TAC that got the ammo, but it was the first one resolved and I figured that was from the warhammer).

Honorable mention: Takashi. Despite everything he did being amazingly reckless, he contributed in a big way to the death of goonstar. He TKO'd the gargoyle prime and touched off the AC ammo in the storm crow, taking a lot of damage off the table for the next round of fighting. Really this is like a vote for tandem charge missiles, but whatever.

I would still like to pilot if the chance ever comes up, so if this counts as a reconfirmation that's cool. I don't think I ever made it on to the list proper anyhow, so this seems a little extraneous.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A and RC1. Free Skye, supported by the Vipers, with a load of star league era mechs.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm going to vote A. Lets see the new guys in action.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm surprised Solaris doesn't have a "you're being too conservative" rule that auto-ejects any pilot who hasn't fired in X number of rounds or something.

I remember playing one of the mechwarrior games and being called out by the commentary on Solaris for playing too conservative. To be fair I had put myself in some water and shutdown to fall of scanners and got a "That isn't how we do it on Solaris" or equivalent statement.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

That's too bad about the Marauder pilot. Guess they'll have to pass the dutch(y) position to someone else.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge, your writeup of the contest entries was super helpful. Thank you.

As for the political vote, C.

For the contest:
DS5
DS21
CC24

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Turn 4, spider eats a gauss round.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm aware that this is putting real science into battletech, which is a faux pas, but if the solar sails are indeed a kilometer in diameter:

They have a total surface area of 7.854e5 square meters. If the entire thing is a heat sink with a background radiation profile of 0 kelvin (I guess the collection part of the sail stops all the radiation, or something) with a thermal emissivity of .6 then it can sink 180.6 W/square meter. That translates to about 142 thermal megawatts for the area. That's the power put out by a really small fission reactor today, and nothing close to the power of a large commercial power reactor. There are reactors that put out upwards of 3000 thermal MW right now.

So even with a massively powerful fusion engine on board, they can't possibly vent all the rejection heat unless their system is ungodly efficient (it's not, this is the space 80's) or they have some magic material with an emissivity over 1.0 that violates all the known laws of physics, which isn't too far a stretch considering the KF drive it's attached to.

Basically they can't possibly vent enough waste heat from the ship to allow for a large enough fusion reactor to charge the drives in any reasonable amount of time. Especially if it has to trickle the power in which limits the efficiency.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

This assumes that the only way to dump heat is via radiation. Thing is, there is a waste product from a hydrogen fusion reactor, and it's hot, and you can vent it. That should give them another way to dump heat, and a pretty good one to boot.

In fact, I assume that in order to maneuver in normal space the ship is using its fusion reactor's waste as a reaction mass, and it also presumably has to fight the solar wind pressure on the sail just to avoid being pushed into ever-higher orbits around the local star. Although I dunno how much pressure you get on a 1km sail, I imagine it's not all that much.

But then again the real issue here is that in the Battletech universe, fusion doesn't obey the laws of physics anyway (see: the Stackpole rule, for example) so who the gently caress knows.

I don't know that you can readily vent the product of a fusion reactor into space without violating the containment on the reactor and venting your entire reaction. The void of space is notoriously unforgiving with that pressure differential thing. Especially since the primary coolant loop of a reactor is going to operate at several orders of magnitude above earth standard pressure. Assuming you can vent it, you'd have to do it after you run it through whatever system you're using to extract power from it.

Maybe they have some magic reactor that's 100% thermally efficient and this whole discussion is dumb because it's the space 80's and they can travel through time.

On a different note, PopTarts, thank you for running this entire show. You've convinced me that I need to find the rules for this game and start learning to play with my friends.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

MVP: Hermes II and the Bobcat.

Voting Nay.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Option 2, Falcons, I just want to see those cougars. They sound absolutely frightening.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mary Annette posted:

If it were me I'd forgo one of the LLs in favor your SRMs. More damage potential, same heat, and (I think) an easier shot with the iLKs.

I don't think the SRMs are loaded with iLK missiles, I thought that was LRMs only.

E: I stand corrected, they are iLK loaded. Good deal.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

That is really cool. I would say go for it, as long as it doesn't make things harder on you.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Mock his command.

He's new to command, and probably sensitive to having it questioned I imagine. Especially if we point out that his scout lance getting dismantled is due to him not exercising his duties properly. The earlier observation that was made about him being inexperienced and unable to command more than his star, which looks like letting the second star have some freedom, seems like a good place to start. I'm sure Wilberforce knows how to addle this guy. Implications that he was promoted over his ability and it shows, etc.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Voyager I posted:

I noticed a small error:

I think the Po deserves every moment of glory it can have.

This is also an interesting offer. We're winning the fight here, but it sounds like that will just be more salvage for the Davions...and nobody wants that.

I too am enticed the the potential appeal of a Clan/Commando temporary alliance to punch through the Davion lines and escape with everything you can carry.

Those total to 10, not 8 for the to-hit. Probably just a typo, unless the mods are inaccurate instead of the total number.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, whoops. The Awesome is 3/5, the Battlemaster is 4/6, and the Sunfire is 5/8

The image shows corrected movement for all the Sunfires except the one in the top section, which is still showing 2/3/0 (S4).

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Not that it would really matter after the first two anyhow, but I really want to see Hastur pile all four lasers into someone's cockpit.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Is Albert supposed to be the guy piloting the Mackie? The pilot there is the only Major on the field and he's named Pierce Gregg in the enemy status sheet.

VV: All good. For a second I thought one of the command lance had a double cockpit or something. Isn't that an option on the battlemaster?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 18, 2013

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Did the LRM-5 from the merlin hit the LT on G-10 after destruction? Shouldn't those have moved to the CT?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Close Quarters (Main Character: Cassie Carlos Camacho)
Hearts of Chaos (Main Character: Cassie Kali MacDougal)
Black Dragon (Main Character: Cassie Lainie Shimazu Subhash Indrahar)

Cassie's always the viewpoint character, but she's not always the star of the show.

For a brief moment I thought you were implying that the main character of Close Quarters was Macho Camacho, and suddenly that seemed like a decent book to read.

E: I meant President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert "Macho" Camacho, from Idiocracy. Although maybe that's still true.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 25, 2013

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Now you need a commercial done by President Camacho.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Oh poo poo. That's good. I see him saying "I got a message for all you motherfuckers over at Irian: what the gently caress is up with this poo poo y'all be buildin? Why don't you build a goddamn Mech for once? Trebuchet? Blackjack? A motherfuckin HERMES II? Bitch are you serious?"

He should then go on to complain about how little violence there is in `Mech battles these days. If HE was president of their company, he'd build for maximum destruction (cut to a shot of a single light `Mech getting hammered by AC-20's until there's nothing but a crater).

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The rifleman is now a walking small laser. Not exactly the best thing in the world, but I guess it can still kick things? Hastur really needs to survive this whole ordeal.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

landcollector posted:

Only if PTN is careless enough to leave the Phoenix Hawk within 3 hexes of the Rifleman. I grow more skeptical of the players being able to achieve the primary win con. They simply don't have the firepower left to take out the rest of the Command Lance before dying. The UAC/20 on the Cyclops, with some luck, could knock out 1 or 2 of them, but it is a long shot. I would prioritize the Mackie if possible, otherwise target the Battlemaster.

Someone earlier pointed out that the Battlemaster has nearly as much firepower as the Mackie (one extra ML, minus one HVAC/10), but is twice as fast and therefore more worrisome. Taking it out first could allow X2 to work the jumpy pulseboat bullshit on the Mackie more effectively. This depends on what damage has been taken at this point for either of them, if the weaponry is still the same as when that assessment was posted, etc. And lets not forget the Awesome either, one of my favorite IS mechs, although it has the weakness of the minimum range on the PPC's that could in theory be exploited.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Happy birthday, PTN. This thread is amazing and a tribute to the amazing guy that runs it. Well done. Here's to a year of health, happiness, success, and continued writing! Oh and feeding the gaping maw of your `mech destroying machine for our amusement!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Honestly Hastur himself is probably more of an asset than his `mech is. The guy doesn't even fight with his eyes open. If the rifleman boards now and ends up in CC space, they get a prime example of neural implants and the guy that they are based on. That alone would be huge. They'd also have an example of an ER weapon, which hopefully could be scaled up into bigger ones by someone with a brain.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Political Vote 12:

Frederick Steiner:
B) “I’m sorry Thomas, but I can’t afford to wait. I shall send another.”
A war is no time to wait a month for a movie, who knows how many planets will fall to the clans in that time.

The new Villain of Hogarth’s Heroes:
B) Hanse Davion
Speaking of the clans, I really want to see the vipers allied with Skye, and since right now Hanse is tied with the clans, I'm voting for Hanse. Although really the ghost option should win because it's the best.

Villius Tejh, Precentor Sian
B) Defy Anastasius Focht
Sure why not. He seems like a power hungry guy.

Pedregor Aliz, Precentor Atreus
A) Kneel to Anastasius Focht
No clue who this guy is, but he seems logical. Logic demands you don't argue with the guy holding a gun.

Uthar Everston, Precentor Tharkad
B) Defy Anastasius Focht
He seems angry at the protocol breach, maybe enough that he's not aware just how likely it is he'll get shot.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I think we're missing something about that political update. The ice fleet ship got nearly taken out by something with a Naval PPC, and target locks/firing solutions and whatnot. I'm assuming that means the Snow Ravens are still out there having a space navy that could level the IS with near impunity and doing something. I don't know where they are, or what they are doing, but it seems rather important if it got mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Thanatz posted:

Galatea is part of the Lyran Commonwealth so that's probably the Vipers heading towards Terra.

I don't know why that's such a disappointment, but it seems like one. I guess I was really just hoping that the Snow Ravens would do more than park over Luthien for a minute and show off. I'd much prefer they continue to have an active impact on the inner sphere, be it blockading planets, using what few `mechs they have, or just bombing some particularly troublesome/important planets back into the stone age. They came all this way, and last I recall they bargained a factory world off the Hell's Horses, so they could potentially be making all kinds of stuff in the inner sphere. If they found a way to supply the clans from inside IS space, that would be a huge thing.

• Locked thread