Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
There's something wonky about damage to Wolverine.

quote:

V2 Zhukov fires AC 10 at Sw Wolverine (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 8, hit right torso (0/25 armor, 15/18 structure remains)! Critical chance!
V2 Zhukov fires AC 10 at Sw Wolverine (4 base + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 7, hit center torso (0/20 armor, 11/13 structure remains)! Critical chance!

This isn't possible: there's always more internal structure in center torso than side torsos. Maybe the locations got mixed?

I still think Caballeros have a distinct advantage. It's a race against time, though: 6 more rounds and there's a 50-50 chance of the Colonels son biting it, not to mention the "kill'em all" option. Now excuse me. I need to tap my fingertips against each other and pet this Persian cat while laughing menacingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Daishi Widowmaker variant is the epitome of awesome for me. It's the one and only design where I wouldn't trade autocannons for anything. As long as we're not talking targeting computers and assume the single Clan pilot to use this variation, it's as close to undefeatable as you can get within this game.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Please please please shoot the 'pult with at least 20 damage so it falls down and/or one set of inferno missiles so it gains 6 heat and pilot gets one more hit. That effectively knocks it out of the fight.

Other prime targets are whatever dare come out of the woodworks into the killing fields. I'd love to see a lucky hit on Lancelot but solid hits into anything are good enough.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Aw man, this is looking bad. Let's hope for a head hit: there's still the possibility someone will be knocked out by a lucky shot.

Capellans, now's the time to switch to hit and run tactics! Mechs can't storm the hostage compounds and infantry can't approach them while there's still mechs around. And for the love of Chancellor, do not lose the Vindicator!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

GhostStalker posted:

Oh the arguments they had on whether or not Abrams tanks and teen series fighters (F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18) could outfight Mechs.

Probably yes, but you'd have to be really stupid to face them in a heads-on fight. Make a hot drop on top of White House and Capitol, take out the whole government and win the war within 15 minutes. Or if we run with the old Aerotech rules, just drop bombs on both buildings until they're gone. You'd need two fighters, lots of bombs and about half a minute of time (one round to drop from orbit to planetside maps, another to locate the appropriate mapsheet, one to drop the bombs). The toughest building possible is around 150CF (hit points) and that's trivial for almost anything that flies. It's like asking "who would win in a heads-on fight, US Army or Al Qaida?"

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Nope, improvised clubs (trees, girders, limbs) require 2 hands. If mech has a built-in club (hatchet, sword) it only takes one.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

And kinetics are often shaped to form penetrators of material on impact that will concentrate the force over a tiny area.

Yes, but so are BattleTech trees. I'm sure it's explained somewhere or other. And every steel girder in every building, even those that don't have steel girders, are required to have a very sharp impact point in case of emergencies.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm a criminology major/history minor, but you don't see me ranting about how loving horrible CSI is, or how ahistorical war games are

We simply must talk about how unrealistic the murder of Melissa Steiner-Davion was. I'll post my 300-page analysis

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

DeepThrobble posted:

We've yet to touch Battletech's other great sperg magnet: how the population of the Inner Sphere is large enough to easily support armies a few hundred times larger than what we see. :madmax:

I feel compelled to answer this.

It's a societal elite who fights in mostly ritualized warfare; people on average don't give a flying Capellan who rules them since there's no practical difference; and there's no way to increase the logistic capability anyway. In the few cases something didn't work according to these guidelines it's either a massacre or a complete defeat of military forces.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Skinwalker got messed up. Too bad it didn't get two gyro hits, that would have been it.

There's still a slight, slight chance for the Capellans. Space Mexicans have several holes in their armor in the most inconvenient locations: if they lose two mechs now, it will be tight. It's gonna be close, especially if the Capellans would finally bother to start the mass executions!

Also, I'd like to politely remind PoptartsNinja that Lil' Sure Shot has a wounded pilot who needs to roll for consciousness every end phase...

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

KnoxZone posted:

I dunno how PTN is playing it, but she is one of the 20 hostages, so she might end up dying at a certain point by default. After that the blood shall flow.

Or they might put up her son against the wall. That would up the stakes, no?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

And in relation to the game at hand how much damage do those mines do to a mech as compared to the weapons we've seen so far?

Anywhere between 1 and 20 points of damage, depending on the minefield.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Maybe the Death Commandos have the wrong channel for the Calaberos? And so their demands aren't heard?

Space Emo Mexicans just want a reason to weep.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

David Corbett posted:

Out of curiosity, exactly what would that be?

Attacking JumpShips, ComStar HPGs, automated factories or anything else that is completely unreplaceable. Using nukes. Purposefully attacking civilians (depends, of course, who, where and why would you do such a thing). It also seems like messing up in the service of Chancellor or Coordinator is grounds for summary execution.

Since there is no Space UN, might makes right and whatever those in power say is grounds for execution, goes.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Man, this is getting tight. Rifleman is the only functional fighting unit the Caballeros have. Wolverine is nearly functionally destroyed, Lancelot has so little leg armor that it's risking destruction every time it gets shot at. One lucky shot here or there can tilt the balance quickly. And considering who's rolling the dice...

Rule note: normally the destruction of a leg actuator triggers piloting skill rolls.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Okay, so there's something I'm obviously not getting about how engine hits work. How did I gain 11 heat from backing up slowly?

You gain 5 heat per engine hit per turn and one from walking. 3 hits into engine destroy your mech.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
La Dama Muerta is about to get it. Where's your Justice Foot now, Caballeros?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

/\/\/\/\/\ Looks like you better be ready to pay up, Hob! 50% chance the colonel's son lived, if half the hostages make it. Of course, if he didn't, I'll be paying you.../\/\/\/\/\

Yes, but (and this is important) if the Lady of Death gets it, the Capellans can start offing the hostages wholesale. It looks like we'll be seeing at least two more rounds of this game, so one to kill the Lady and second to kill half of the remaining hostages...

It's still all hanging in the balance, and I'm enjoying every second of it.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This is looking' good, good indeed. Roll high on the casualty number, PoptartsNinja!

It looks like the Blackjack could hold on for two turns. There's one mech with any sort of reasonable hitting chances. Every turn is important here. And no matter how the Blackjack fares, the Caballeros have a lot of bodies to bury after this.

Too bad the Warhammer isn't around anymore. I was hoping it'd set the hostage building on fire. That would have been a fitting end to all this.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Where the devil is that Goblin tank?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

SageNytell posted:

Isn't the murder of children also looked down on in the Inner Sphere?

Depends a lot on whose kids got stomped on. Bunch of mercs? No one cares. Might makes right, once again. Weapons of mass destruction on the other hand threaten to make the whole knight caste irrelevant, so they're universally abhorred.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
There's also the small matter of a bet on whether Colonel's son buys it or not. Of course I'm gonna cheer on Death Commandos when I've money riding on them.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
A, of course. The old man is insane and better off dead. Besides, there's nothing that can go wrong with that, right?

So... did the Colonel's son make it or not? MVPs for Engine Joe and Zhukov tank respectively.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Well, that settles it then! Hob, you owe me one account upgrade! I don't actually know how that works, to be honest, I assumed it was Gift Cert? Archives or plat would be nice.

God dammit, I was hoping the brat would have been in either of the empty buildings. Oh well, win some, lose some.

One cert coming right up, once I figure it out.

e: looks like I need your email address so I can send this code to you. Please mail me. Been sent!

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 23, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Account upgrade says the last IS Mech will fall no later than turn 19. This is a nightmare for the freeborns. The map is impossibly hard, with nearly no cover for a running battle. Not that the mechs especially support that, either.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

Someone should take the man up on this, but if no one does I'll take the bet again Hob. Those Lyrans have fire in their veins! They want victory. I can see them lasting 20 turns no problem.

Looks like there are no other takers. You want to try your luck another time? There's gotta be a time when you run out of limb-cutting criticals, you know.

Also, the terrible alien biomonsters description is surprisingly familiar. I swear that mercenarynuker's description is right off the books, almost to a tee.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gay Abortions posted:

Actually, if I can sneak in at the last second, I'll take this bet. Missed it the first time it came up.

Awright, you're on! If not one IS mech is standing by round 20, you lose. Please confirm your acceptance by sending a message.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
God dammit. Quit with the unlikely series of rolls, would you?

This'll be tight, once again. Cyclops has already lost quite a bit of armor, and I'm guessing there'll be a series of surprises on both sides. Let's see how it goes.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Why do you hurt us?

PoptartsNinja, like the Clans, only hurts us because he loves us.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

The way they decided to make every gun have the same RoF is quite weird.

The pen & paper game is already pretty bookkeeping-heavy (especially in times before every home had a printer). In a computer game it could be done, but there's never been an official translation of boardgame rules for computer. MegaMek is the closest thing there is, and it's not a sanctioned game.

Car Wars from SJ Games had a system that would have easily supported multiple shots, but the original version of the rules were almost unplayably slow. I'd rather have a few inefficient weapons than a game system that you don't want to play.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

UberJew posted:

2/3 pilot breaks his leg off on a level change roll and an erppc headshot in the same round; hopefull that will silence whining about the PC's rolls because goddamn

I feel completely vindicated.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The only correct way to play MechCommander 2 is with a huge horde of UrbanMechs. Nothing shall stand in the way of the mighty trashcan assault!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
That push was a clever idea. Push the Lucerne out of the fire and claim victory. One large laser is probably enough to finish off the Mugger at this point, securing at least a partial victory. Of course, if the pilot wants to go for the full monty...

This is still in the air. One almost unarmed mech against two clanners who can't shoot? Who knows?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

Would intentionally pushing the mech out of the fire actually count as the Clanner leaving the combat area?

Worked just fine last time, didn't it?

e: Although this time it's Steiner rules. Hmm.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 17, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This is getting really, really close. Curbstomp him!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

TildeATH posted:

Are you saying the machineguns are used to shoot down the nuclear explosion coming at you, because I can totally get behind this.

No, machine guns save you because they don't use heat.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Victory to the Clans, if only just barely. If Zeus wouldn't have fallen... but it did, and the issue is resolved. By turn 20 there were no standing IS mechs left. Still, it was very close. Highlights were the clanner unwilling to kick the last remaining IS mech when Samantha was unconscious, and especially the Rommel which fought way above and beyond.

The fantastic start for IS turned sour by loss of two mechs very quickly afterwards and back to fight again made this a real nailbiter. Can't wait for the next one.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

landcollector posted:

The thing is actually quite cool running for an IS Succession Wars-era mech packing lots of energy weapons, generating a max of 34 heat and sinking 28.

Ooh, I want to ride the variant version of this, which mounts 8 less heat sinks but carries large lasers in arms! It covers every range bracket, you're safe nowhere!

Also, voting for Operation Heaven's Castle or D. Guerrilla raids, baby!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Gay Abortions, if you're reading this we have a small matter of a bet to settle.

While neat toys would be fun to see, a good scenario is even more so. And nothing is more fun than seeing a rag-tag band of terrorists do a hit & run strike against technologically superior, arrogant opponent. Besides it's our best opportunity to actually do collateral damage instead of trying to prevent it. Here's hoping the correct scenario wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gay Abortions posted:

I chose a poor time to go on a week-long vacation. Which upgrade would you like and where should I send it?

hob_gadling(at)hotmail.com, archives or plat are both fine.

It was goddamn close, I was afraid until the last turn that you'd win. A full-on salvo at turn 18 could have made all the difference.

• Locked thread