Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Well, come on. It's not like real-world physics, chemistry, or biology has any place in Battletech anyway. All he's doing is stretching the boundary of nonsensical pseudo-science warfare a little.

OK the wasps thing is dumb, but is it really that much dumber than putting legs on a tank?

When Space Knights of the 80's duke it out, style goes before substance. That's why you can have mecha katanas and orbital bombardments in the same game. But I really can't see any way you can incorporate wasps anywhere without spoiling the mood.

Or can you?

There drew he forth the bulbous Beehive,
And o’er him, drawing it, the winter moon,
Brightening the skirts of a long cloud, ran forth
And sparkled keen with frost against the wasps:
For all the nest twinkled with diamond sparks,
Myriads of topaz-lights, and jacinth-work
Of subtlest bugdom.

(apologies to Lord Tennyson)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

RedMagus posted:

Actually I'm quite curious what some of our top theory-crafters would be doing in their own mechs, or what they would of done with last turn's setup?

That doesn't probably include me but let's not let that stop anything.

Since the top level has a drop down to the bottom, I'd expect most of the action to cluster at lower levels. This gives higher levels a certain escape potential, and puts mechs with jump jets in a good position. You can use that drop as an escape route, getting away from potentially tight spot. This is especially important if you consider heat management. Heat doesn't reduce jumping movement, so fire away! And fly away!

If at least one player doesn't camp the stairs leading to second floor I'm calling shenanigans. Those are potentially excellent killzones for Foot of Justice. Or Feet, if team rerolls happen to go poorly for the unlucky player. Also, head shots due to partial cover.

One of the bigger mechs needs to get the action started. I'm expecting Catapult or Marauder to make the first move, since it's in their advantage to whittle enemies down from range. Once that happens, someone goes berserk and then it's anyones guess.

Only thing certain is Boyington.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Magni posted:

Doesn't work anymore.

Aww. But kicks are still a threat.

It's funny but I can't say with certainty whether short- or long-range weapons are the bigger threat here. You'd think short range would rule but it's not so obvious.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Come on Boyington, don't let me down now!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This just got a lot more dicey. I'm not sure what sort of play would be good here. There's only one thing I'm certain about. Speed kills, and whoever plays more aggressively will dominate.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Calling it now, Guillotine and Boyo will end up duking it out mano a mano. And everyone knows who wins that, right?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Sent a couple mechs. The Capellan challenge was fun. Can't wait to read the other entries, the last competition was great.

That Catapult is doing great. Two head-capped mechs would be cool to see, especially by the same pilot. Boyo is positioning himself tactically well to win the whole contest. And we still have a bet riding on this...

T.G. Xarbala, I sent you a little "something something" to check and perhaps draw if you find the concept interesting.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 5, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

I want to see how you do a frankenmech.

Heh heh heh heh...

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You'll look back on this and laugh someday.

Namely the day your version of my mech is revealed.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
There's at least three mechs hanging on by a thread. Boyo, don't fail me now...

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Gonna have to check the wording of the bet, is it a draw or did I lose again?

e: yeah, gonna have to go with draw here since the drat things killed each other. Dolash?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 21, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

But that said, if Gay Abortions also wants to rule it as a draw, I'll abide by that, too. It's all supposed to be in good fun anyway. v:shobon:v

I want to hear what Dolash thinks we bet about. If this round was a draw naturally I'm willing to let it ride. What's the point of betting if no one actually wins?

Probably should have thought about this when making the bet. I wonder if PTN would rule this for us? Who died first?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Frazzin razzin mumble grumble...

Dolash, check your private messages in five. I know you got 'em. I PAID FOR THE drat THING.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

Better luck next time, Hob.

That's what I said this time!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This is getting exciting. I want to say Catapult has a good chance of actually winning the whole shebang, but Centurion has done better than expected. I'm still banking on Boyo who wisely has stayed out of it up until now. He's got a good chance to wipe out both the remaining mechs and remain the last mech standing.

It's been pretty incredible how every match just manages to get this tense. No running away now. May the best man win!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Where's that green lion emblem on the mech arm from?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

This is my best guess:1st Capellan Dragoons

I've got a closer one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Finland

Lacks the swords and crown, tail is a little bit off but otherwise the similarity is striking.

Peugeot logo from 1950's is also pretty much alike. Maybe even moreso.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's just a modified tracing of a GIS'ed Lion Rampant. I figured even a literally nameless merc company deserved to have a classy insig if they really wanted one. I figure it's okay since, well, as a heraldic device it's a generic icon.

I thought it was really cool. Many of the logos and symbols used in fiction are terrible, the artists obviously didn't care about meanings or general rules of heraldry at all. It's nice to see some class in there.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Let's all have a quiet minute for Boyington. If he didn't die in that fall, he will when I strangle him for losing the game like that. How could you let me down like that, Boyo?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
T.G. Xarbala was kind enough to make a pretty image for the Illuminati. PTN, do you prefer we post our images now or after voting is over?

e: Votes! DS7, CC3

Both look interesting to play and have decent fluff. Honorable mention to Pepperpot, which must make an appearance somewhere.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 8, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Abandon a winning war? Never! It is divinely ordained that Liao bloodline will rule the Inner Sphere. This is but the first step on that road.

B

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
It should be noted that Illuminati is, in theory, an upgrade. It started with Shadow Hawk and if you squint in a certain way you can still sort of see it. Sure, you had to lose the autocannon, SRM rack, laser, most of the right arm, redesign the cockpit, redesign the whole leg assembly, lose the jump jets and change practically all internals due to weight limitations and engine switch. Other than that, it's the trusty Shadow Hawk everyone knows and loves!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Vote? Everyone knows without voting that the Chancellor is divine and his wisdom guides us. Don't vote for Illuminati and one night you'll wake up when strong men are pulling a bag over your head.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The results are in! Congrats to all the winners!

Personally I'm happy that both my designs got on the second round. If there are other contests, I'm definitely in.

T.G. Xarbala kindly illustrated the Illuminati. This is what Shadow Hawk looks like:

After a few minute modifications this is what the end results looks like.

I would've loved to see his take on the Lion also, but he had plenty of interesting stuff to illustrate. Speaking of which, bring forth the rest of the designs!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Saint Celestine posted:

Is it me, or does it look like that mech is about to topple over?

Yes. It's noted in the fluff text so artist just made it faithful.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

Red River:

This thing is great. It's something I want to play purely on the visual aspect.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Turn 5, short-range weaponry (range 9 or less) hitting a armor-stripped location causing fatal damage. Let's go with Spider as the first corpse.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Steiner PPC: Four parts grain alcohol with two parts peppermint schnapps.
Liao PPC: Four parts grain alcohol with two parts plum wine.
Kurita PPC: Four parts grain alcohol with two parts Sake.
Davion PPC: Four parts grain alcohol with two parts bourbon (or Tequila, for the New Syrtis version).
Marik PPC: Four parts grain alcohol with two parts Ouzo.

Trip report:

Steiner PPC isn't half bad, although I like my peppermint drinks peppermintier. Is that a word, peppermintier?

I don't have plum wine so Liao PPC gets skipped.

Kurita PPC is a waste of sake. Sake only tastes good when warm, and warm grain alcohol is terrible. This drink reminds me about Spinal Tap, the ending sequences where one of the band members explains how he's between the fire and ice of two other people in the band. Sorta like lukewarm water.

Davion PPC is probably the most terrible of them all, just because I really dislike bourbon. It's pretty consistent, since bourbon goes badly with anything.

Marik PPC is probably the best of the bunch. Anise flavor goes really well with grain alcohol. Mix with a drop of water if you want the color to come out, and flavor with a couple raisins for taste. Maybe even a coffee bean or two. I'll have to continue exploring this.

Gadling PPC is four parts grain alcohol, two parts cognac. Serve at room temperature. Beats all of the above hands down. If you lack cognac, do the poor mans version with four parts grain alcohol and two parts lemon juice, served with ice.

Now excuse me, I think I need to lay down for a bit.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
For the record, I mixed 4 cl of grain and 2 cl of whatever it was supposed to be. Any bigger and some of the more terrible combinations would have been left on the table. As is, none of these are exactly great (Marik was the best, Steiner wasn't bad but it needs more peppermint) and you definitely should not drink them all in a row.

Oh, and I'm not trying the Liao PPC with baijiu. Arglebargle doesn't exaggerate one bit when he says the cheap stuff tastes like vomit. It really does, both going down and coming up.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This thread keeps going to strange, delicious places.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Omnis were found to be extremely cost-ineffecient.

It's probably dangerous to stray into real world comparisons, but I always thought this was one of the best done things in fluff. Real world tanks are designed to be as modular as possible. Power packs, mine-sweeping equipment, even armor (of certain types) can be added or replaced very quickly. The equipment is also standardized to a high degree, allowing repair crews to remove a working engine from an otherwise totaled tank and mounting it onto another vehicle in a pinch.

Something like this was the original purpose of OmniMech concept. But Clan societies took an unexpected turn to the strange. Rather than utilizing their technology to create a good mass army with as much advantages as possible, they started to value a small elite. Mechs became a vehicle for self-expression, not unlike armor of medieval knights. While results were important, style and panache were even more so. Rather than being weapons of war, they became rituals of mating. Which is very fitting, considering the whole concept of phallic symbols in the first place.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
There really is only one mech that will get an unanimous priority for production. You see, what started as a desperate ploy to halt the Clan advance and gain time for DropShips to lift has had unintended consequences. Clan troops admire the sheer bravery needed for that sort of combat. Inner Sphere pilots are both desperate and crazy enough to propagate it, for they need all the advantages they can possibly get.

I'm of course talking about Steiner Rules. And Defiance Industries is proud to present Berserker, the 100-tonner with almost exclusively short-range weapons and a hatchet to maximize the impact. And of course it has a head-mounted flamer in the classic "cigar" configuration to prepare the battlefield. What other design could be more popular or have better potential of stopping the enemy dead in their tracks?

Congrats to PTN, by the way. Remember to link us the product when it's available!

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 28, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

I don't think 31st century warfare even has continuous lines and salients anymore, it usually reads as two small forces meeting in the field like the glorious knights they represent.

Makes sense, really. You can only haul a relatively tiny amount of troops across space, so you want each trooper to pack as much punch as possible. Since you can drop these troops anywhere in the world it's very hard to defend strategic targets such as government, and arguably in a feudal system planetary governments don't much even care who their lord is as long as they're not overtly greedy or violent. In Star League days you didn't even need Mechs to fight wars. You'd claim victory in the space and drop ground forces to protect the new government against civilian unrest.

Planetary defense forces could make Mech warfare pretty goddamn hard (after all, even a poor planet could wield thousands of tanks easily), but largely they just don't care enough to put up the effort. War is a hobby for the nobility and it doesn't concern the ordinary people.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Dolash posted:

If that's true, how does that explain the Clans?

They took it to the logical extreme, namely "not my problem". Arguably the warrior caste is so separated from real life that they don't even care about the planets they take; the real prize is taking from the other warrior. That's why it comes as a huge shock when people refuse to just do as they're told.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
My condolences. Take care man.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
It's been a while... When was the last design contest? I'd like to read through the designs again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
All good things must come to an end, even this thread.

I enjoyed it occasionally in the past years despite not posting, especially all the design contest stuff. Some of the designs were very inventive and aggressively suboptimal as one poster put it back around page 650 or so. Thanks to everyone for making this fun stuff happen.

• Locked thread