Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
I have some PMs, I know my Battletech. I'll be a pilot.

Also anyone who doesn't vote for the Third Alshain Regulars, or Comstar has no Honor.

I vote Comstar since I already know these other goons would rather be merc dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

PoptartsNinja posted:

Since you guys seem a bit bored, help me pick an era-appropriate command 'Mech for a lance of medium-weight Kell Hounds (Specifically, a lance that can act as either scouts or scout-hunters, so expect at least one light 'mech).

I vote we give our commander an Archer. There is absolutely no situation where Archers do not own. They are moddable enough if we need some gimmick computer or uber missile bullshit. And they look commanding.

Lookit dat mech, he means business.

Also if you don't field a LAM at some point you are an awful person.

edit: me no spell gud

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 22, 2011

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Honestly all lighting the woods on fire will do in this situation is force everyone out of the woods, I agree that we need to drop anything that is a vehicle with real weapons, because they go down fast, but they can harry.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Kenlon posted:

I love the hell out of the Catapult. But it is not a fire support machine. Eight salvos is not enough to allow it to stay at range and bombard.

So what is a Catapult for? The answer lies in it's movement profile and secondary armament. At 4/6/4, it can outmaneuver other heavies and slower mediums, while being able to keep 5/8/5 machines from doing the same to it, barring terrible initiative rolls. This makes the Catapult suited for aggressive tactics, something it's weapons suite supports.

LRMs have a minimum range of 6 and a short range of 1-7. This makes 'magic sevens' the place for an LRM boat to want to be, if possible.
Medium lasers have a range profile of 1-3/4-6/7-9. Thus, a good Catapult driver will actually aim for range 6, giving his LRMs a base to-hit of five, lasers hitting on sixes.

The Catapult is thus an excellent brawler, despite it's lack of arms for punching, and makes a superb machine to use for dogging heavier mechs. (Especially 3/5 assaults.) This is especially apparent in the CCAF, where the Catapult is most common - pair it up with Vindicators and watch the enemy fall. (PPCs to tear holes in armor, plus piles of 5 damage hits to critseek.)

Catapult was made (IMO) to charge the enemy, missiles blazing, lasers lazing, and just when they are preparing for you to be empty, DFA.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah sure Bobbin, I can head your direction. D3 is going down.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
If I could close range on that cataphract it would be nice.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

The shot didn't hit the cockpit, it head the head. An analogous situation would be shooting the nose of the aircraft without killing the pilot.

As for the life support, it does virtually nothing unless you're fighting in an area with a toxic/non-existant atmosphere. It does mean the pilot will take damage at high heat but that's typically not a big issue.

It means I cant keep alpha striking at the warhammer.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

..The hell it doesn't! Remember, the less ammo you fire the more there is to explode when you get critted!

Despite all the stupid designs that FASA came out with, I don't think they ever slotted ammo into a head. But I may want to step back on the lasers.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Actually a logistics question, I remember there was some way to use lasers to ignite a forest, can we do that in this thread?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Awww poor Engine Joe.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
Sorry, I forgot they were alive. 1 north, fire at I4

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I am really bad at remembering things. Anyhow TP fire at I4 again, cause gently caress those dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Preechr posted:

If there are horrible deathtraps planted around the hostages, will the Tech Platoon be able to disarm them? Might want to get them in to the vicinity, at least, just in case PTN starts a countdown after the active threats are eliminated.

I am moving there, I am just not very fast, like at all.

• Locked thread